Why I love Being a Single Mother - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 482 Old 01-19-2005, 04:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cresorchid
If that isn't the truth! I always have to choke myself to keep from telling people to dump their husbands. It kills me to listen to all these women complaining because they "can't do this or that" because hubby objects. And yet, you can't make other women wake up to reality. When they are ready, they will know it.

For the record, I wouldn't take a man if he begged me to. I like myself, my life, my son and my child-to-be far too much to throw it away on a man.

Exactly. Can you even imagine being told that you can't do something?!! I don't have enough time in the day to deal with some guy. Even the best guys take a lot of time and energy and I feel complete without one. In fact, I like myself better without one.
#62 of 482 Old 01-28-2005, 03:53 AM
Banned

Can I just say how great it is to be able to file dead skin off my feet whenever and wherever I want? One thing that really bothered me about cohabitation is how annoyed men are about being "subjected" to our beauty rituals... yet they want us to look/feel/smell good all the damn time. : : :
#63 of 482 Old 01-28-2005, 09:34 PM

This is by far the best thread that I have seen the reasons that I love being a single parent.

1.) I know that he will grow up to respect women
2.) Like someone else said I can parent the way I want to!
2.) I can take all the credit when someone says "ohhh what a happy baby he is!"
3.) When someone says to me "ohhh I wish I could do that, But my husband wont let me." It always makes me smile and chuckle a little because I know I can do whatever I want and no one can say I can't :LOL
4.) I know that my son will always be in a happy, loveing home.
5.) I know that he will truely grow up to be who he wants to be (no one saying boys don't cry or boys don't do that)
those are some reasons I love being a single mom but there are so many more!!!!
Karen and baby Joe

Glenn bouncy.gif 11*09 Joe 4*04 peace.gif Me praying.gif & Hubby geek.gif

Quote:

#64 of 482 Old 01-29-2005, 11:18 PM

i love belonging to my kids and myself.
i love being able to change.
i love .

Happiness despite misery is a great victory, I think...

caffix.gifSingle coffee loving and making mom to fencing.gifds, age 12, hamster.jpg dd, age 10, dog2.gif dd, age 7, flowerkitty.giftigress, cat.gifquinn, hyena.gifblack cat, and wool.gif beatrice the spider. Yeeehawww!!!

#65 of 482 Old 01-30-2005, 02:43 AM

Tonight I bought a new set of sheets for my bed, beautiful deep pink with lavender blossoms scattered on them - and after I washed and dried them with my new lavender and vanilla fabric softener, I put them on the bed and rolled around on them - and it hit me...... I'm more feminine and feel more like a woman now that I'm single than I ever did as part of a couple.
#66 of 482 Old 01-30-2005, 08:21 PM

i love being a single mommy!

i love rolling over in the morning and seeing his sweet little face next to me

i love being the one to decide how long we go shopping and how much money we spend

i love cuddling up at night with a book and both of us falling asleep together

i love deciding about no vaccines and not having to fight about it

i love taking him to work with me

i love that he cries when he can't see me and someone else is holding him ( how mean of me!)

i love being a mommy!
#67 of 482 Old 01-30-2005, 09:31 PM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I LOVE this thread! I re-read it every now and then, and even if I don't chime in, y'all remind me to appreciate the wonderful life my Dumplings and I have. Today my 8YO Dumpling wrote a poem their Dad would never have appreciated:

There are icicles on the bicycles, and frost is on the grass.
If I went for a walk on the ice, I'd slip and fall on my ........

hands and knees.

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

#68 of 482 Old 01-30-2005, 10:03 PM

Hi! This is my first post.

My son and I are both so much healthier than we were when we were with his father. Mind you, we left when AB was only 5 months old.

We live with my parents, so in fact AB has 3 parents, but I'm still the main parent.

I feel like I would just be repeating what you have said already, but here's my list:

- Not having to take care of two "boys"
- Not being cheated on or being dumped on for having post-baby body
- Raising my son with good values and positive male role models (my dad and other men in our family)
- Not having to ship my son elsewhere for visitation (his dad is not involved at all)
- Putting my son in things like swimming lessons (this spring)
- Having the support of my friends and family, who love my little guy so much!!
#69 of 482 Old 01-31-2005, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter

eamama, I am glad this thread provoked you to post

Very cool, and such a wonderful list. Thanks for adding some wonderful perspective.

Teach your children about the global water crisis
Visit Dream Village to learn more | Check out Saved by the Well on Amazon! | SBTW Trailer!
#70 of 482 Old 01-31-2005, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamarhu

There are icicles on the bicycles, and frost is on the grass.
If I went for a walk on the ice, I'd slip and fall on my ........

hands and knees.

mamarhu, that is gorgeous! Tell your dumpling I love it It made my day!

Visit Dream Village to learn more | Check out Saved by the Well on Amazon! | SBTW Trailer!
#71 of 482 Old 02-01-2005, 03:28 AM
Banned

My 4 year old stayed up until 12:30 tonight... and nobody knows about it but you guys! Sshhhhh!
#72 of 482 Old 02-04-2005, 03:10 AM

Thank all of you single mamas for helping me see the bright side.

I'm in the strategizing phase of the process of leaving my drunken H. Some days I feel strong about leaving, then there are these days where the fear looms up and sticks in my throat. Deep down, I know we'll be so much better off but taking the leap is the hardest part.

You mamas are an inspiration to me.

"The best things in life aren't things."

#73 of 482 Old 02-10-2005, 04:33 AM - Thread Starter

Autumschild--if you need to talk pm me. This is the hardest part

#74 of 482 Old 02-10-2005, 04:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongLiveLife
My 4 year old stayed up until 12:30 tonight... and nobody knows about it but you guys! Sshhhhh!

LongLiveLife, my son NEVER goes to sleep until at least 12:30

#75 of 482 Old 02-11-2005, 02:03 AM

#76 of 482 Old 02-11-2005, 04:12 AM - Thread Starter

Freedom, what a perk eh?

#77 of 482 Old 02-11-2005, 10:58 AM

I know I am not a single mama anymore, but I want to share what I loved about it.

I loved being dependent on ME and only me for everything.

I loved having peace and tranquility, when before there was none.

I loved regaining my self-esteem and finding out who I am after being mistreated for so long.

I loved giving my kids a happy home, the kind they always deserved, but sadly had too little of.

I loved finding out how truly strong I was inside, and learning that I am lovable, I am worthy of being loved, and learning to love me all over again.

I loved having the responsibilty of the bills, and now that I have the house and bills in my own name, and have a savings account and good credit once again.

I loved succeeding when my ex was sure I would fall flat on my ass.

I love that I know I do not "need" anyone to survive and give my kids a wonderful life, I can do it alone, but I love that I have been blessed with Jeff, and I am with him not out of need, but out of love alone,
#78 of 482 Old 02-13-2005, 05:59 AM - Thread Starter

#79 of 482 Old 02-16-2005, 03:42 PM

[QUOTE=eamama]Hi! This is my first post.

My son and I are both so much healthier than we were when we were with his father. Mind you, we left when AB was only 5 months old.

We live with my parents, so in fact AB has 3 parents, but I'm still the main parent.

QUOTE]

I think there are distinct advantages to being single and living with your folks. That's my situation as well. Though there are times I feel suffocated (7 of us in a 3 bedroom house - my bro and his 2 also!!!), I think it's such a good deal for everyone. My daughter and her grandparents really get to know and enjoy eachother, and they are good for eachother. Plus I have built in babysitting that I trust when I need it.

Anyway, I love this thread and I love being a single mommy for all the reason already listed!
#80 of 482 Old 02-17-2005, 11:51 AM

I love this thread!
Ditto to all the responses - I just read all of them.
One of my personal favs is allowing my dd to wear whatever she wants and not having to hear that it doesn't match or whatever.
#81 of 482 Old 02-17-2005, 11:07 PM

I've got a new one ... we made peanut butter cookies for dinner tonight ... there was one beater for me to lick, and one for Alex.

Then we sat down and ate our cookies with a banana and some milk. Something I probably wouldn't do if anyone was around to see : but so much fun.

Alex has been running around lately with a pink feather boa around his neck .. and there is no one here to make stupid comments or say he looks "gay" like I know my x would have done. We are free to be ourselves 100% and that is priceless.

Candacepeace.gif, Married to dh   guitar.gif, Mom to ds (8) biggrinbounce.gif , Gavin candle.gif (9/30/10 - 12/19/10) and cautiously expecting our rainbow1284.gif 4-29-12

#82 of 482 Old 02-17-2005, 11:31 PM

Tuesday I took DS to the store to pick out a (late) V-day gift (one of the good things about him being too young to care what day it is, I got it 50% off.... LOL!) and he picked out a pink snake. Ex would have NEVER let me get it (or, rather, he would have thrown it away when I brought it home) b/c *boys can't play with pink* DS loves it

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#83 of 482 Old 02-18-2005, 01:32 PM

Hi,

I just signed onto this board and started reading in the single mother’s section and I can only say that I am very happy to see this Thread. I belong to other parenting forums and some of them sort of “look down” (to a degree) on single mothers, or I see many references of, “thank goodness I have my DH because I could NEVER be a single mom! I don’t know how they do it!” Now I realize it’s their opinion, but I can’t help but feel a little upset when people say things like this. For me, it was the best thing that has ever happened to me and I am PROUD to be a single mom, and here’s my personal list, above and beyond what was already said by other ladies:
  • I love not fighting with my ex-Fiancé anymore and putting up with his “baby-ish” ways. I am responsible for ONE baby, my little girl, not TWO.
  • I am proud of myself for not giving into “societal rules” and getting married to my ex because of our daughter. I am 100% secure knowing that her life will be better as a result of me realizing that if we couldn’t fix what was wrong with us in 8 years, we’re likely not going to in the next 8, etc.
  • I don’t think – and this could be because I never met the right person – that I’m cut out for being married. It’s never been something I dreamed of for myself. But as I got older I knew I wanted a baby and when I found out I was pg it just seemed right that it should work out this way. I had a desire to have my daughter, but not a marriage with her father (although I still welcome his involvement with her). It’s obviously ruined my relationship with her father, but I feel SO GOOD ABOUT MYSELF (better than I have in YEARS) that my daughter can’t help but notice that on some levels and be happy, too.
  • I am blessed to have the help of my family with my daughter and it makes it so much easier for me to balance a professional life with having my daughter. I know she is ALWAYS in good hands and loved. I feel blessed to have the best of both worlds, without a needy and cranky man in the picture who tried to oppose many things I wanted to do.

So I rambled on, but that's my happy-to-be-a-single-mom list!
#84 of 482 Old 02-21-2005, 03:51 AM

You mamas rock!!! I reading this thread!

ditto to everything mentioned. my additions (just restating what's already been said):

*I don't have to deal with an hour of grumpy verbal abuse every morning, make his breakfast, and then hear "sorry about that... I love you" after he gets his coffee and a smoke!

*I don't have to deal with crazy mood swings, and constantly be the cheer leader, bread winner, house cleaner, cook, shopper, and then be blamed when things go wrong or that I didn't quit my job to 'support' him in his 'effort' to start his business (which wasn't making any money)

*I look at how amazingly smart, happy, and passionate my daughter is and think how wonderful our lives are together. I imagine the horror that was our life that I saved her from and know that leaving was the best thing I could have ever done for us.

Karen
#85 of 482 Old 02-21-2005, 03:17 PM

Quote:
  • I love not fighting with my ex-Fiancé anymore and putting up with his “baby-ish” ways. I am responsible for ONE baby, my little girl, not TWO.
  • I am proud of myself for not giving into “societal rules” and getting married to my ex because of our daughter.
  • I don’t think – and this could be because I never met the right person – that I’m cut out for being married. It’s never been something I dreamed of for myself. But as I got older I knew I wanted a baby and when I found out I was pg it just seemed right that it should work out this way. I had a desire to have my daughter, but not a marriage with her father (although I still welcome his involvement with her). It’s obviously ruined my relationship with her father, but I feel SO GOOD ABOUT MYSELF (better than I have in YEARS) that my daughter can’t help but notice that on some levels and be happy, too.
  • I am blessed to have the help of my family with my daughter and it makes it so much easier for me to balance a professional life with having my daughter. I know she is ALWAYS in good hands and loved. I feel blessed to have the best of both worlds, without a needy and cranky man in the picture who tried to oppose many things I wanted to do.
Oh, man! I couldn't have said it better myself! Tho with the marrying-thing, I think it's because I'm a Gemini. We have a tendancy to be persnickety.

The only thing I will probably miss is having another kidling. Tho I haven't passed Doug 101 yet...
#86 of 482 Old 02-24-2005, 02:19 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, other kids will come....somehow, some way, some day.

I want another one too, and I know I will have one...one day.

#87 of 482 Old 02-24-2005, 02:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephandOwen
Tuesday I took DS to the store to pick out a (late) V-day gift (one of the good things about him being too young to care what day it is, I got it 50% off.... LOL!) and he picked out a pink snake. Ex would have NEVER let me get it (or, rather, he would have thrown it away when I brought it home) b/c *boys can't play with pink* DS loves it

Steph, that is sooo cool. My son wears pink. If Puff wears pink, so can my son

#88 of 482 Old 02-27-2005, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephandOwen
My ds has a pink snake too. He got it 2 yrs ago and he still sleeps with it most nights.

I am new to being single, bute here is my list:

I can have as many of my kids sleeping w/ me as I want.

I don't have to smell cigarette smoke in my home ever. (He always smoked in the bathroom and didnt believe me when I told him I could smell it in the rest of the house.)

I don't have hair in the sink.

I don't have to clean if I don't want to.

I don't have anyone telling me how to raise my kids.

I don't have to search the whole house looking for his dirty clothes to wash just so he can get angry at me for not folding them properly.

I don't have to answer to anyone but myself.

I don't feel pressured to have sex when I don't really feel like it.

I don't have to wait up all night long for him wonderring where he is and if he is okay. I can go to bed when I want and wake up stress free every single day.

Wow, I am surprised my list is so long.
#89 of 482 Old 02-28-2005, 11:46 AM

I so needed to read this thread tonight. I've just gotten off the phone to a friend who's in a relationship, who was questioning my recent decision to have another baby (actually I'm planning several more!) given that I'm single and my girls are getting older now (7&8). She spoke with the weight of the dominant culture behind her, assuming that what is right for me would be to move on and start a career and move 'out into the world' instead of putting myself back into that 'more insular and private' space of mothering. (Sorry, just had to vent).

Anyway, what I love about being a single parent:
* being able to change my whole life and world view as I read and explore more and encounter such wisdom and depth in areas I'd never even considered before. (my ex hated how changeable I can be - seeing it as inconsistent rather than fluid)
* sharing my explorations and discoveries with my girls, and enjoying their input and wisdom along the way - without anyone expecting them to be 'just kids - only interested in 'just playing'.
* unschooling and extended breastfeeding without having to deal with my ex's discomfort around going against the 'norm'.
* as I embrace such a degree of 'unlearning' so many cultural biases and assumptions that i just didn't recognise before, it's nice to not have to have some other adult along for the ride, with their own bumps and blockages - unlearning by myself is huge, but alongside another with their own agenda would be painstakingly slow.
*just not having to do all the processing and work of a couple relationship - I might want a relationship when my kids are grown, but at the moment I wouldn't want to put their needs on hold while the grown-up's work through their stuff (all the couples I know, even the 'happy' ones just seem to put SO much WORK into their relationships - and to me it looks like they don't seem to get far as a result - and that's gay and straight relationships alike)
* at the moment one of the things i love most is knowing that when I do get pregnant this time, every instinct and innate wisdom I feel, i will follow freely, feeling strong in my knowledge of myself as a woman and a mother.

thanks for sharing everyone, i feel better now.
Jenn
#90 of 482 Old 02-28-2005, 12:16 PM

ThisLifeTime! I really like your post.
Well, I like this whole thread.

You should check out this thread:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=254421
Satori is also getting ready to have another babe. You and her should exchange notes, and some of us will be watching your journeys with great interest.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page