? for everyone - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 01-09-2005, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was on a list and I was told that it was okay to leave your baby in a car to sleep unattened. I don't really like the idea. I expressed my feelings about it and the next thing I know there is a huge fight about it and I was banned from the list. Am I wrong would any of you leave a baby in a car unattended while you are in the house watching tv or cleaning?
Am I missing something? Am I wrong, what?
#2 of 12 Old 01-09-2005, 04:36 PM

In most states, it is actually illegal to leave your child asleep in the car. They can take your baby away from you for neglect. I think that pulling into the garage and going into the house is a bad idea.

Having said that, I know someone who used to drive her twins to sleep. Then she would pull the car up to the open kitchen window, with the car windows down while did cooked or cleaned or whatever. But she always was in the kitchen where she could see or hear them.
#3 of 12 Old 01-09-2005, 05:22 PM

Well until 4.5 months ago I live in a big city and was pedestrian so this was a moot point for me. But I wouldn't leave a child unattended in a car.
#4 of 12 Old 01-09-2005, 05:28 PM

I would not personally leave a child in a car unattended. Of course, I don't let my children out of my site even when they are in the yard. Every bad story I hear starts with, "I just turned around for a second..."

Nina, wife to Michael , mama to DD1, DS1, and DS2, and "Bub" to
DD2
#5 of 12 Old 01-09-2005, 11:32 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
No way! Its also a good way to lose your kids! Not only that its dangerous, in the summer its like leaving them in an oven, in the winter they can freeze to death.

Seriously?
#6 of 12 Old 01-09-2005, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarplumama
I would not personally leave a child in a car unattended. Of course, I don't let my children out of my site even when they are in the yard. Every bad story I hear starts with, "I just turned around for a second..."
Same here. And our backyard is fenced in too.

Amibeth

#7 of 12 Old 01-09-2005, 11:42 PM

WTH? They kicked you off for being a good mom!?

A baby should never be left alone in a car asleep or not! Never!!
#8 of 12 Old 01-10-2005, 02:43 PM

That's nuts!! When ever Alex falls asleep in his carseat, I transfer him into our bed at home ... I'd never leave him in the car! I don't even do that at the gas station ... I pay at the pump or don't get gas at all.

I live in a small, quiet town, but I'm still scared someone would take off with him in the car. *shudder*

Candacepeace.gif, Married to dh   guitar.gif, Mom to ds (8) biggrinbounce.gif , Gavin candle.gif (9/30/10 - 12/19/10) and cautiously expecting our rainbow1284.gif 4-29-12

#9 of 12 Old 01-12-2005, 07:14 PM

OMG!!! I can't believe you got thrown off a board for this!

Let me add my voice to the many that I would never leave my DS in the car asleep. This point was brought home last summer when a mother in our area locked her two sons in a closed up car and FELL ASLEEP inside the house. The father came home from work, found the mother asleep and searched for the boys - but he was too late. One of the boys expired from heat exhaustion. Two elements of the story were particularly sad: she had done this before; and, another neighbor heard the car alarm go off but didn't check it out. The neighbor wondered if it was one of the sons trying to attract attention. I can't even imagine!

Edited for clarification.
#10 of 12 Old 01-12-2005, 07:35 PM

There are just too many unknowns...I am not even sure what the arguement would be for someone opposing what you are trying to say but I absolutely do not disagree with you. And if you were kicked off a list for that it is probably better that your not a part of that one anyway! Best Wishes and I am really sorry that you were made to feel like the bad guy, keep being a good mommy!
#11 of 12 Old 01-14-2005, 05:42 AM

Leaving the kids unattended anywhere is not a safe thing to do. However, I guess everyone's idea of what "unattended" means is a little different. I leave my kids locked in the car to run in and pay for gas if I can see them. I can't always see my kids at all times in the house, but my mama-radar is on and I can hear them. I always take advantage when I have an adult passenger, to run into the grocery store or the bank.
I could not fathom, leaving them to go inside and watch t.v and relax. That would simply be impossible.
I have had to run in and grab some forgotten item after finally getting the kids loaded up.
My older son can get out of his booster seat, and the car, if he needs to. I have never left them for longer than about 30 seconds tops except when I lived in a rural location and the baby was asleep and I would leave the car door wide open and hang out in the yard about 15 ft away from the car.
Anything else would be negligent in my opinion.
#12 of 12 Old 01-14-2005, 09:43 PM

It is definitely not ok for me. I do not even have a car anymore, but if I did I would not leave my son in it unattended EVER.

Too many very bad possibilities IMO.

Teach your children about the global water crisis
Visit Dream Village to learn more | Check out Saved by the Well on Amazon! | SBTW Trailer!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page