nebulous future - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 10-17-2005, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm in the middle of a divorce and unfortunately, my soon-to-be-ex refuses to move out which feels like entrapment: I can't move on with my life with him living with me. I can't date (not that I'm so desperate to do that right now anyway), I can't join Parents w/o Partners, I can't really even have guests over. I can't get a better job (alimony issues), I don't have any peace, I don't have any privacy. And I don't know what the hell my future is going to look like. Where will I live? How will I live? How much alimony can I expect?, how much will I get from the sale of this house?How much will I owe my lawyer? I can't plan for my future because there are so many unanswered variables. I hate that my future is so foggy.
#2 of 15 Old 10-18-2005, 02:27 PM

Yep, I was in that situation too. I just toughed it out for a year until I knew what the divorce settlement was going to be. It sucked, but it was either that or spend money I couldn't afford on an apartment.

Good luck to you.
#3 of 15 Old 10-18-2005, 02:36 PM

I am sorry. It sounds like a very difficult situation to be in. I know there have been a few moms here who have gone through the same thing. I hope you can find some resolution to the living arrangements soon.
#4 of 15 Old 10-18-2005, 03:06 PM

Sorry Pony
I am in the middle of a divorce and actually I guess just the beginning of a long drawn out stress filled experience and it sucks! I don't even have to live with him. Can you make yourself several home away from homes? Starbucks, the library, the gym, weekend trips to relatives or friends? Would he agree to similar trips away to visit his friends or relatives? I won't be dating for a long time but I guess I am not ready for a relationsip anyway, I need to concentrate on my children and I don't have any free time.
Good luck on your path
#5 of 15 Old 10-25-2005, 11:43 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much dear mamas for your understanding and support! I just got to remember that this too shall pass. I should be happy and relieved that this miserable "marriage" is finally coming to an end--by about January I'll probably be officially divorced, the assets will be divided, and I'll be a free and sovereign woman with an exciting future. That's something to look forward to! I should just focus on that. Yeah.
#6 of 15 Old 10-25-2005, 11:57 PM

Hang in there.... it'll get better!

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#7 of 15 Old 10-26-2005, 05:11 AM

for you mama. Sorry that you are in that situation.
Just hang on and things will be better.
Good Luck...
#8 of 15 Old 10-26-2005, 05:55 AM

I'm sorry you're going through this. You have every right to plan your future right this second. Would it be possible for you and stbx to see a mediator so you can discuss these issues with someone there? I say mediator because a counselor might muddle both of your feelings simply from you two possibly having couples therapy associations. Also, mediators know the legalities of these things and can help you crunch alimony and child support numbers early and discuss their impacts. It may not be possible for you, but if it is, it may be a big help. You'll get through this and things will be clearer. As my dd would say, you are strong and smart and brave!
#9 of 15 Old 10-26-2005, 11:40 PM - Thread Starter

Ya know, Mama Mia--we went to a mediator way back when but we blew alot of money for nothing because nothing was ever resolved. We both have attorneys now (and I shudder to think how much this will cost me in the end but it seems it was the only way that could have worked for us). I dread being in ANY type of counseling with him because it just turns out to be an onslaught of character assassination from him against me. I just got a letter from my atty today scheduling us for free mediation from the court regarding custody, etc. We're on our way to resolution.
#10 of 15 Old 10-27-2005, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pony
Ya know, Mama Mia--we went to a mediator way back when but we blew alot of money for nothing because nothing was ever resolved. We both have attorneys now (and I shudder to think how much this will cost me in the end but it seems it was the only way that could have worked for us). I dread being in ANY type of counseling with him because it just turns out to be an onslaught of character assassination from him against me. I just got a letter from my atty today scheduling us for free mediation from the court regarding custody, etc. We're on our way to resolution.
Just thought I'd mention that attorney fees in my case are $150,000. Better to try to mediate if possible. Just sayin...

Good luck.

Pete
#11 of 15 Old 10-27-2005, 02:04 AM

Pete - that is one hunk of change!!!
#12 of 15 Old 10-27-2005, 02:06 AM

Pony - sorry about the character assasination. It bugs me when people lie about me. Hope the mediation isn't too stressful.
#13 of 15 Old 10-27-2005, 02:56 AM

Quote:
A good counselor would not let that happen. i'm sorry you had to go through that. I'm glad a resolution is in sight! I'll be thinking of you.
#14 of 15 Old 10-27-2005, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter

You must have had a pretty long and complex divorce. Our case is pretty simple. We don't have alot of assets to haggle over. I'm guessing ( & hoping) that it'll be less than 10k.
#15 of 15 Old 10-27-2005, 10:41 PM

Quote:
You must have had a pretty long and complex divorce. Our case is pretty simple. We don't have alot of assets to haggle over. I'm guessing ( & hoping) that it'll be less than 10k.
Well, we had about $300,000 equity in our home, so the lawyers wanted all of it - and made sure we were fighting each other until it was all gone. The issue wasn't property as much as it was custody. My first divorce (no kids involved) cost $750.00 - I pick up the tab for the whole thing . We just agreed to split everything down the middle.

Pete

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page