Single Student Moms -- how's it going? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 31 Old 02-25-2006, 10:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wondering how everyone's doing?

I'm finding it a bit of a struggle to motivate myself and study effectively lately. This tends to happen mid-semester and then I get a burst of energy (or panic) about the end of the semester and I get it all done. I know that when I don't want to study, it's best not to push it too much, unless I absolutely have to. My energy and desire certainly go in waves. Although I'm loving my courses this term.

I'm also doing my Masters application right now. I've finished the pre-reqs and my lowest grade so far has been a 3.75. So, I'm feeling quite optimistic about my application and the process.

Not much else. Just wondering how everyone else is doing.
#2 of 31 Old 02-25-2006, 11:09 PM

I find school very difficult, at times. I already have a dual master's degree, but I have been unable to find reliable, part-time work in my field. My DS has serious food allergies and asthma, so I really don't envision myself working full-time for a while. So, I was pre-med in undergrad and I decided to apply to nursing school for next Jan. I am taking 2 classes right now, and it is very hard to find time to study. I make it to class ok, but I am pretty tired at night after taking care of DS all day. He is 2 but not a great sleeper, so I don't get great sleep either. I do like my classes and getting out of the house, though. I just get frustrated that I don't always have the time to study.
#3 of 31 Old 02-25-2006, 11:29 PM

I'm doing ok. I've mentioned in other posts that I'm still pretty angry at stbx that I have to go back to school like this (full-time, cramming it all in 1 year). I *know* it doesn't get me anywhere but ugh, it's just another thing that gets me going with him. I'm also angry since it puts a serious dent in time with dd (both time in school & doing homework).

My classes aren't difficult, but there's a lot of work, so I get overwhelmed with it pretty easily. I'm getting my second Masters in Library Science so I can be a school librarian (I was a teacher before dd). I'm trying to just dive in & try to get my mind off my situation, but I'm finding it hard to get very motivated. I used to be super-motivated in school (a bit too much actually) but it's hard for me to find a good balance with dd. I have such a different set of priorities now.

AnnArbor - fwiw, most of the single moms I know who are nurses are very happy with this career choice, especially the fact that they can pretty much always find a job with flexibility.

MsChats - what are you studying?
#4 of 31 Old 02-25-2006, 11:33 PM

I was doing well in the beginning. I just went back to school after almost 15 years. I'm working on my AA in Graphic Design. I don't go back to work until the end of March... we will see then how much harder it gets!

I hit a rough patch last week when both of my kids were sick and my Grandfather had a stroke. He passed away today he was 100, lived a long live and is very loved. It's what he wanted, but it's still hard. Anyway, I had an big exam the day after he had the stroke and I believe I failed miserably.

I try to study after the kids are in bed, but I usually fall asleep reading them their story. This is just the beginning of school again for me... hopefully in a couple of years i'm still going strong... I'm taking 2 classes each semester and summer classes.

+ + =
#5 of 31 Old 02-26-2006, 12:36 AM

Thanks for the check-in thread MsChatsAlot! I know what you mean about the mid-semester lag...we all feel it! I know you do distance ed, do you have interaction with other students? Without school giving me some semblence of a social life, I don't know how I'd feel normal!

annarbor...perhaps we should have a sleepless student mama support group My almost 2yo has been having lots of sleep issues, with teething, me wanting to cut back on nightnursing, etc. When do you get a chance to study, during his naps?

bu's mama...Hope that the resentment settles a bit...has Hannah been moving from her daddy phase at all? I bet once this year's over, and you are totally done, it'll feel good to have rushed it, but I know how hard it is to have to change your track because of divorce/separation issues!! I would never have gone back to school this early in dd2s life, if I'd still been with ex, but I just hope it will be best for all of us in the long run.

proud mama, sorry to hear about your grandfather! I hope that he's found peace and it sounds like he must have had an amazing life! Have you told your professors about it? Sometimes they'll make special arrangements, or maybe they'd let you retake your exam. I had a hard time last semester when my grandmother passed away as well. I know how hard it is to stay awake putting kids to sleep when you're tired...my problem is that since the schoolwork feels so pressing, even when I do fall asleep with them (at 7:30 or so), whenever I wake up (9? 10? 12? it varies) I'll drag myself out of bed to get some work done, then hit my second wind, etc.

Like all of you ladies, I struggle at times...especially when I haven't gotton enough sleep. I'm in lawschool full time, and while I'm fortunate to NOT go to a very competitive school, so it isn't as much stress, it's still just so much work to keep up with every day. But many of my classmates are having trouble, and they don't have two little kids to care for, so I know I'm not too bad off (and at class ranks I was 5 out of 208 so I must be doing something right (shameless brag )).

Lately I've been dealing with a lot of guilt issues. I just haven't felt like I've got a good situation for my kids...my oldest has a pre-school she loves in the afternoons, but it overwhelms my schedule to get her there, as it's a 25 minute drive away (she started there before we moved, and since it's part of the state pre-k program, she's stuck there). And though my mom watches them three days a week (baby sitter during 2 classes on Tuesday, then I have Fridays off), I don't feel like she really does much with the kids...no reading, teaching, singing, games, etc. My younger daughter is really slow to talk, and I feel so guilty...that it's because she hasn't been encouraged enough. My oldest by this time was speaking in such fluent sentences, could count to ten, etc., and my youngest just barely strings to half-way coherent words together!!! I know my mom loves them, though, and that they get a lot of other neat experiences with her, like spending a lot of time in the garden, etc. But still, the mama guilt is horrible...

The other stress I've been dealing with is that when I'm overwhelmed and especially overtired (as I've been for a few weeks, staying up late to get work done then had teething issues with dd2) I get mama rage. I feel so bad, and I know it's what I grew up with from my mom, but I was just realizing lately that I didn't do this AT ALL until after my ex left. Once I had to deal with things completely on my own, when I get overwhelmed, I sometimes snap and just really am mean to the kids. Getting more sleep helps...but then my classwork suffers, and with strict attendence requirements and professors who call on you w/o volunteering, the consequences of not being prepared are hard to deal with as well.

Ah, so nice to just get it all out...to vent a bit...but also quite a struggle.

Oh, and FWIW, my saving grace to get work done is that the girls have a pretty early bedtime, usually they're totally asleep between 7 or 8, so I have some good quiet time to study after that.
#6 of 31 Old 02-26-2006, 01:49 AM

Oh I need a 7 pm bedtime for my children. I am floundering, in an online class and being legally harassed ( that's how my divorce feels, 4 hour deposition, court, $900 psychological testing for each of us, upcoming discovery crap that will take up hours and hours and $$$$.)

I am thinking that once the divorce is finally done I can apply myself again. I am constantly having to choose something to do in the time I have and studying is being put to the end of the too long to do list.

Hopefully this thread will be a motivator for me. I actually enjoy academics!
#7 of 31 Old 02-26-2006, 02:01 AM

I am lagging behind. As long as I go to class I usually absorb material pretty well, but I'm way behind on the reading for my English Lit. class, and I have a paper due Tuesday I havn't started yet. The sad thing is this is the typical me, only to the extreme. I usually keep up on readings and such, I just can't concentrate with everything else going on in my life. Last week was crazy for me because DC had their winter vacation from school, and I did NOT have a break from class. I just cashed in all babysitting offers I had to have child care so I could still attend class. I am not enjoying single parenthood right now!:

Oh, and my DC have a 7 pm bedtime as well, it's the only thing that keeps me sane. I think I would have lost my mind if I had continued trying to work this semester. All I keep thinking is that soon it will all be over. I can't wai to graduate next year.

Kerry, loving wife to Pete, mama to DD (14) DS1 (9) DS2 (3) & Expecting someone new Jan 2013

#8 of 31 Old 02-26-2006, 02:12 AM

T - so sorry to hear about your grandfather. And I agree with Jster...try talking to your professor about your exam. It certainly can't hurt. When I was getting my first masters, I had completely *missed* an exam & I was able to make it up.

Jster...thanks for asking about Hannah. My resentment comes & goes, but flares up when I'm overwhelmed. I aksed her the other day if daddy asks her to sleep with him and she said yes : and put her head down. I told her she needs to sleep where she wants and if she doesn't want to sleep with daddy she doesn't have to. She's 3.5 so it's hard, I don't want to say believe her, but not ask a leading question, iykwim. And stbx does passive-aggressive, manipulative things like that so it's a toss up. However, since then she's asked to go bed with me except for tonight, but then woke up & came into my room anyway. I hate that he puts her in the middle like that. Things could be much worse so I'm just trying to deal.

And about being #5. That's awesome...definitely something to be proud of!

I think the guilt is normal & I'm sure you know but just want to remind you that even siblings progress at different rates. It's hard to not compare, though. And like you said, your mother is providing differnt types of experiences. I don't always agree with things my mother does with Hannah, but I never knew any of my grandparents so I try to foster their relationship as much as I can & realize it's good for her to see different personalities & priorities & such.
#9 of 31 Old 02-26-2006, 02:23 AM

Hi all student mamas!
I recently started an intensive 3 month course that prepares you to start up and run a small business. I have always loved being my own boss. My ex and I opened and ran a bar together. It was a ton of work but I loved that we were our own bosses, didn't have to answer to anyone but ourselves and could schedule our work around our lives. Anyways, I went back to school before my daughter was conceived and got a degree in fashion design. So now I am planning on starting a line of childrens clothing. I found this amazing organization that helps low income women gain the skills they need to start and run a successful business. They have an intensive program that incorporates all aspects of business management, marketing, production, all of the legal documentation, etc. I am very excited about it and I am getting so much out of each class. I am actively working on a solid business plan and taking the steps I need to to really get things rolling. I feel like I am really moving forward towards my goal but it is just so much work. On top of the three jobs I am currently working, I feel like I'm constantly on the edge and something just needs to give. I keep telling myself that it's only three months ... But really, how little sleep can a person get and still function?
I wish you all the best in your studies, I know that we are all moving towards a brighter future for ourselves and our children. Our hard work will pay off in the end!

Robin
#10 of 31 Old 02-26-2006, 02:52 AM

Well this was my first week of school AND my first week back to work also, both full time. And I am scheduled to work this weekend too, so no break from work at all, although I get the lovely double time for Sunday!! It was rough. I miss the girls horribly, and I honestly have NO time to study. I get out of school at 1pm, head home to eat and change my clothes, and have to be to work by 3pm. Then I'm there til 11pm, and come straight home, get things ready for the next morning for both me and the girls, and try to do some homework for like ten minutes then go to bed, hopefully by 12:30-1am.
I study or do homework at work, on breaks, lunch, whenever I get a minute. My school is VERY strict about their attendence policy, but also give you neat rewards for perfect attendence like, if I'm there all week without being late or missing a day, that following week I will get one "casual day". And if you don't miss any class for the whole module (6 weeks), you get to skip the final. So it is worth it, besides the fact that attendence is like 20% of your grade.
Its deffinantly worth going to school though, and its only for like a year, and I will be getting laid off way before then, so i know it won't be like this forever.
OH!!!! I almost forgot, I have already been offered a job after graduation, for an awesome law firm downtown!!! I keep trying to just think of the great things that are coming out of this to keep pushing me get up every morning after only like 5-6 hrs of broken sleep. I just keep saying in my head, "its really not that bad, and its so worth it" over and over and over.

Even though its really rough, I am so happy I decided to go back to school. I actually feel proud of myself for once.
Oh and dd2's dad is still being an A$$ since I broke up with him. He has not seen her in over 3 weeks, not even asked about her, no help, nothing. Today we got in a fight on the phone and I said to him, you don't want to take care of her, but you want to be called daddy, and he said. Who said I want to be called daddy? I honestly almosted puked right when he said that. And of course I got really angry and told him that he should just sign off his rights, if he doesn't want to be her daddy, and he said, Show me where to sign. I couldn't take it anymore, so I just hung up on him. Mind you this is while I'm at work and I can't just take off and go cry my eyes out so I had to just stand there all night. Ugh!! I really think I hate him, I really do.
#11 of 31 Old 02-26-2006, 05:58 PM

I am just flat out drained from the divorce ongoing since 11/04. I can't study effectively as my Divorce is/was contested & so was sole custody until 01/17/06 then to find out that custody isn't but my Guardian ad litem is. Well not only that i got writers block per say last week during my 5 hour computer hardware class. I am anxious to have a smooth life again.

Mainer
Jenn

WML write more later DS 2 yrs old home soon
#12 of 31 Old 02-26-2006, 07:37 PM

Hello fellow student mamas!

School is going OK - I am doing well in my two classes that are just about over now (I am in an intensive program). I start my next two after spring break. I ended up with an A in both classes - yeah! I am not so sure what grade I am making in mommyhood, though. I work during the day and take classes three nights a week - and that is not feeling very ap to me! I am very, very worn out, but I just keep telling myself that the program is over in July. I am very fortunate that my mom watching my ds during the week, so I know he is being well taken care of. He has been a bit clingy in the evenings, understandably, but lots of cuddles and nursing helps.

I never, ever thought I would be a single mom working two jobs and going to school, extended breastfeeding, and co-sleeping! And hey, I'm not crazy yet!

Wifey to Hubby, Mama to Boy (2004) and Girl (2009). 
#13 of 31 Old 02-26-2006, 08:55 PM

I'm kinda skipping to posting w/o reading all the replies, but I will go back. I am EXTREMELY worried about going back to school this fall. I will have a 6 month old and 3 year old, and I'll be taking 3 classes. I will be an hour away (more with traffic) from my babies. My parents can watch my older DD, but what will I do about my nurser? I'm so worried about finding childcare for her that won't disrupt our nursing relationship.

Also, this is my 4th try finishing my last semester. If I couldn't do it with no kids, how the heck can I do it as a single mom with 2 kids? I feel like hyperventilating when I start thinking about it. I'll be reading through this thread eagerly!
#14 of 31 Old 02-26-2006, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter

Wow! We are a busy group aren't we?

I am so glad I started this thread. I thought I was the only one who feels overwhelmed at times, feels like a bad mommy at times (especially when my oldest said, "do you have to write more exams? I hate when you have to write exams." (major guilt). It was also good to see I'm not the only one who falls asleep early and then forces myself up in the middle of the night to do the work I missed while sleeping!

It's a crazy life, but I do love the work and I know I'll love the career when I'm finished. I do feel at times like I'm really not there for the kids and that sucks. But I try to remind myself that it is short lived and that I still put in more hours with them than I would if I was working full time.

I've been taking the pre-reqs to get into a Masters of Counseling program. I also need a specific number of psych courses to be able to certify as a Chartered Psychologist when I finish the program, so I'm doing those now while I wait for the Masters to start next year.

Sometimes it's good to commiserate. I knew a lot of us were studying/at school so I thought it would be good to check-in. Keep working hard guys. even though it's hard, I'm sure the pay-off in the end will be worth the effort.
#15 of 31 Old 02-26-2006, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenomama
...Also, this is my 4th try finishing my last semester. If I couldn't do it with no kids, how the heck can I do it as a single mom with 2 kids? ...
Xenomama...I think the key is now you do have 2 kids...what better reason to finish this now & get on with your life & career instead of having this last semester hang over your head. You're not only doing this for you now, but for them as well. Think how proud they'll be of you too!
#16 of 31 Old 02-26-2006, 11:15 PM

Ugh. Why'd you have to bring this up?? : I'm falling behind. Really bad. When I can get it done, I do it well. But finding the time to do it is the hardest thing. I had this plan when I first signed up for college that I would do the work at naptime and after DS went to bed. Ha. Little did I know that the 2 kids would team up against me and refuse to nap at the same time And I have to submit the tests online, but I can only get online at my dads house, making it even harder to motivate me to get it done (going to my dad's house means DS will beg and beg for me to put in a movie. If I do that he'll want it changed every 5 flipping minutes to a different movie). I came to the conclusion that even though I really can't afford the internet at my apartment, I'll have to make some sacrifices and find a way to get it. So my dad got/is getting me a computer for my birthday So I should have the internet in my apartment within a couple weeks. I am really hoping that by having the internet right there I'll catch up (since then I can submit tests after DS is asleep, even though my big problem now is I can't seem to stay awake after DS falls asleep!).

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#17 of 31 Old 02-26-2006, 11:28 PM

I have gotten so much strength and reality from reading this thread. I really need to concentrate on my current hurdle - having this baby and getting through the newborn period, but I just can't help but look ahead.

After I wrote my previous post, it occurred to me that I will have time to study, that the baby won't be permanently scarred, and that I just have to do the best that I can. Hopefully, I won't have to work all that much, and I'll just be able to concentrate on being a mommy and finishing up school. I also started brainstorming some "self-directed" classes that I might be able to find an advisor for. In that case, I wouldn't have to spend so much time on campus, and I could pick a topic that interests me. Oh, the goodness of Women's Studies.
#18 of 31 Old 02-26-2006, 11:42 PM

Xenomama, I also wanted to mention that your college probably has some sort of child care that you may want to check out. That way you could bring the new babe & spend some time with her between classes & she'll be with you for the commute, not the same I know, but it could help. Also some professors may be ok with you bringing her/him to class with you. When they're that young, they could be in the sling, nurse discreetly, & make a quick exit when they fuss.

I'm probably going to be using the child care at my college in the fall. I was thinking about it for this semester but they want a minimum of 4 hours a week and I only needed them one day a week for 2 hours so it didn't work out.

Ok, now back to writing my paper due tomorrow .
#19 of 31 Old 02-27-2006, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu's mama
Ok, now back to writing my paper due tomorrow .
That was me, too! I had to write up two lesson plans this evening (due tomorrow, of course) and while I was on the computer, I kept taking a "mental break" on MDC.

But really, it is very comforting that I am not completely alone - all of us single mamas on here supporting each other and inspiring each other. It's great.

Someone just remind me that my toddler is going to remember that I'm his mama. I am so thankful that spring break is coming up. I have some definite plans for enrichment and quality time with my boy. It'll be like I'm a sahm for a week!

#20 of 31 Old 02-27-2006, 01:55 AM
EVC

Wow! Let me just say how much respect and admiration I have for single student moms! I'm not a single mom, but I am a student mom and I too feel overwhelmed at times. I feel bad leaving dd when I go to class and really have trouble focusing on books when I'm home. Sometimes I wonder if it's even worth it

I just keep telling myself that it will get easier. Eventually

PhDin' mama to dd (Oct. 2005)
#21 of 31 Old 02-27-2006, 02:39 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Just thought I would drop by, as I am seriously procrastinating with my own studying right now.

Classes are all right. I am post-Bac, just finishing my pre-reqs for my grad program (Masters in Education and elementary teaching certification). You would think that a bunch of 100 level classes wouldn't be too difficult. Let me just say...Geology is kicking my butt BIG TIME! This class is the bane of my existence and I have such a horrible attitude about it. This will be my last term (in Oregon...we do terms, instead of semesters) of Geology...hallelujah!!! Finals are in 3 weeks, so everyone please keep their fingers crossed for me that I pass my Geology exam. I'll be sweating bullets.

But, between work (I work part-time in a local elementary school Mon-Fri mornings), classes and studying, ds, an amazing man in my life and making sure I get to the gym 4 days a week...I am surprised I am still functioning. I think it has to do with the running and exercising...that is the drug that keeps me moving and happy.

Got the letter of acceptance for Grad school just last week. It begins 24 July and lasts for 12 straight months until certification, then another year of part-time classes (distance ed) while teaching full-time. I am so excited, though. It will be nice to start delving into the material that I love and am passionate about.
#22 of 31 Old 02-27-2006, 04:11 PM

I just wanted to say everyone here is so interesting and amazing with a wonderful future to look forward to. Thanks for this thread Ms Chats a Lot
#23 of 31 Old 02-27-2006, 06:36 PM

Unfortunately, Emory is a traditional college with very little for older students. There are several grad schools, though. I may contact some of them and ask if they have any suggestions for childcare. I'm wary of taking a 6 month old to a class - I doubt she'd be still and quiet for over an hour unless she was asleep and/ or nursing. I'm starting to feel more confident about the whole situation, though, seeing the other moms here that are doing this successfully. Thanks for the inspiration!
#24 of 31 Old 02-27-2006, 06:51 PM
Dar

I'm just reading now... I started working on my B.A. in January 1993, ten days after my daughter was born (I began with old-fashioned distance learning classes, by snail mail and on tv) and graduated a month before she turned 5. I've applied to get into graduate school this fall and right now I'm just waiting to hear. I think it will be a lot different as the single parent of a teen - easier, I hope - but who knows what issues will pop up?

Andyway, wish my good luck and lots of funding, and I hope to be with you all in 6 months...

dar

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

#25 of 31 Old 02-27-2006, 08:19 PM

xenomama, you may have luck finding childcare if there's that many schools around. Back in the day, we lived in a university town because my ex was a grad student. Not only did the university have childcare subsidies, but there were a lot of student spouses (me included in the end) who did part time childcare specifically for students. Hopefully they'll be able to give you some suggestions. I think it'll depend on how your child handles car rides, though...some kids wouldn't be able to take a one hour commute (my youngest was miserable in the car, oldest a dream). So some things you might not be able to plan for sure until baby's here. Oh, and keep us updated!! How exciting to be due any day!!
#26 of 31 Old 02-28-2006, 12:08 AM

I'm so glad I'm not the only one trying to do everything at once! I feel like I have barely seen my kids, although I have seen them more this semester than I did last semester when I was working & going to school. I just want to get it over with!

I was just told by the Department of Social Services today that "welfare doesn't pay you to go to school, we give you money to help you support yourself. You have to work, school doesn't count." So I can drop my classes and work full time making minimum wage and live off the state for the rest of my life, but they can't help me for a year and a half until I can graduate, get a decent job and pay taxes to the state to help others who need it. Ugh, it's so frustrating! Anyhoo, that was my mini vent for the moment. I'm sending out non-procrastinating vibes to everyone, since I can't seem to not procrastinate myself.

Kerry, loving wife to Pete, mama to DD (14) DS1 (9) DS2 (3) & Expecting someone new Jan 2013

#27 of 31 Old 02-28-2006, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammakerry
I was just told by the Department of Social Services today that "welfare doesn't pay you to go to school, we give you money to help you support yourself. You have to work, school doesn't count." So I can drop my classes and work full time making minimum wage and live off the state for the rest of my life, but they can't help me for a year and a half until I can graduate, get a decent job and pay taxes to the state to help others who need it. Ugh, it's so frustrating! Anyhoo, that was my mini vent for the moment. I'm sending out non-procrastinating vibes to everyone, since I can't seem to not procrastinate myself.

WAIT~!!!! DHHS in MAINE pays for COLLEGE (TANF/ASPIRE Program) Only if you are going for a BACHELORS~! Go figure. I have an assoc deg in bus and can make 10-15/hr but want more as i have nothing from DS's father dragging out this divorce so i am headed 2 yrs a community college then 3 yrs at university for Bachelors once i am at university they will assist in paying.

ITMT you can qualify for most all grants dependin on yoursituation

sign
MAINE
#28 of 31 Old 03-01-2006, 08:20 PM

Hey! I just wanted to post on this thread too cause I'm a single mom and student too! I started a Bachelor of English program on Nov 1st, and just finished my finals for my first semester yesterday. I'm taking the rest of this week and all of next week off... I've been So busy for so long, now that I have NOTHING to do, I hardly know what to do with myself! LOL I'm sure I'll get over that... For starters, I have a pile of magazines I haven't read yet, and a bubble bath with my name.
#29 of 31 Old 03-02-2006, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Organique Gal
Hey! I just wanted to post on this thread too cause I'm a single mom and student too! I started a Bachelor of English program on Nov 1st, and just finished my finals for my first semester yesterday. I'm taking the rest of this week and all of next week off... I've been So busy for so long, now that I have NOTHING to do, I hardly know what to do with myself! LOL I'm sure I'll get over that... For starters, I have a pile of magazines I haven't read yet, and a bubble bath with my name.
Hey - I have a Micah, too! And a BA in English (creative writing).

A bubble bath sounds divine to me. Do you mamas think I could get away with hiring a babysitter for a couple of hours just so I can take a bath?
(and... ahem... shave these legs....)

#30 of 31 Old 03-03-2006, 12:07 AM

Hi all! I hope everyone is doing better then me. I feel like I'm juggling my balls and they're all ready to fall. Anyways I have an AAS and am finishing up some prereq's for the four year school I'll be attending in the fall to earn a BS in nursing. Today I was especially T'd at everything in my life. I hate the fact my boys have to be in daycare, I feel like they're suffering from my mistakes. My youngest just turned 4 months today (born at home) and started daycare a few weeks ago. He is refusing the bottle. I tried several diffferent kinds, and positions but nothing seems to work. Someone suggested I try using a cup with him, but I haven't done that yet. I was super annoyed after several of the daycare worker suggested I give him at least two bottles at home to 'get him used to it.' I cherish my nursing time, I already feel bad about being away from him for those few hours.

Anyways I really feel like I have nobody to lean on. My fellow students aren't in the same boat, my fellow single moms don't have similiar views on parenting....I just feel like there's no where I can turn to. I just feel really overwhelmed. I get excellent grades, and have been pumping and nursing, make dinner ECT, not to mention the drama involved with my son's fathers. AHHHHHHhhhhh! (yelling releases stress.....does that count for online screams?)

Yeah not sure where I was going with this post, just venting. Oh yeah someone else mentioned something about DSS not helping you go to school! I know, makes you want to go postal.
-Amy
mother of Isaac 1/21/04 and Charles 10/30/05 (home birth)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page