Mothering Forum banner

Some Good Books on Being a Single Mom

1K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  Medusa 
#1 ·
The one I'm reading right this second is, "The Courage to be a Single Mother." by Sheila Ellison. This is designed for woman dealing with divorce... considering divorce, etc. This is speaking loudest to me right now. I find myself nodding as I go. I don't feel alone and I feel I can do this if I have to. A little excerpt, "If someone had outlined for me what I would have o face over that two-year period, I would have thought myself incabable of surviving it. I didn't mean to be courageous.... This is wha I've learned about courage--you have to move forward, do the difficult things, and make those difficult decisions. Part of courage is experiencing your fears, facing something even when you are afraid...."

Others:

"The Complete Single Mother" by Andrea Engber and Leah Klungness
-very thorough. My current fav chapter is "raising boys with no man around"

Hmmm... can't find the other one, I'll post it later.

I also LOVE the book "Mommy Mantras."!!!! Little mantras to say when you're about to go crazy being a Mom.
:

See less See more
#2 ·
I am really dissapointed with the selection of books available out there for single mamas. they are mostly geared toward divorce and give me no direction as far as grief is concerned. (or single mothers by choice for that matter and other situations) I realize the divorce rate is high (no offense to those who are divorced, I divorced my 1st husband so I've been there myself ) but it doesn't apply to my situation and there is not ONE book, that I could find at least, out there for widowed parents.
: I know it may seem trivial to some but there are alot of issues I don't find addressed. I was so upset when I discovered this and am contemplating writing my own book now.

btw I have read this book, it was ok..
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/157...Fencoding=UTF8

eta- I need to get ahold of Mommy Mantras!!!! thanks for the tip.

#3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by rainbowmoon
I am really dissapointed with the selection of books available out there for single mamas. they are mostly geared toward divorce and give me no direction as far as grief is concerned. (or single mothers by choice for that matter and other situations) I realize the divorce rate is high (no offense to those who are divorced, I divorced my 1st husband so I've been there myself ) but it doesn't apply to my situation and there is not ONE book, that I could find at least, out there for widowed parents.
: I know it may seem trivial to some but there are alot of issues I don't find addressed. I was so upset when I discovered this and am contemplating writing my own book now.

]
I think you writing a book would be great. There are somethings people do go through and knowing that others have gone through it too can be very helpful and healing. It surprises me that no one has written a book about being a young widowed parent.

#4 ·
You should write the book!! Maybe it's your calling. I have to believe that there is something out there, but I haven't seen much. It seems to be either single mothers by divorce or single mothers by choice.

"The Complete Single Mother" has a little bit on widowed mothers.. but I'm sure it's not complete enough for the unique issues they face.

#5 ·
the sad thing is there is even LESS out there for young widowed fathers.

thanks for the tip on the "Complete Single Mother" I will check that out. btw I searched for hours one night on amazon (went through every single page of single mama/parent books). I have also searched endlessly on the web for info specific to toddlers/babies and grief, which there is very very little, almost next to nothing of. it just bugs me I guess. everything else in society is anyalized and picked apart. until it comes to death, then it's ignored or people tend to try to "forget". it's hard to just move on.. anyway I find the whole issue (lack of info and books) stigmatizing & discouraging to say the least.

#6 ·
oh and btw thanks for the support on the book (my mom is urging me to do this as well) though I kind of feel my journey has just begun (As well as just beginning to process the last year) so I need more "experience" before delving into this, I guess.

#7 ·
#12 ·
I want to see some "Hey you got knocked up and now your raising a child on your own in poverty!" books.

I read several single parenting books while I was pregnant and could not relate to any of them. I don't have a divorce or an ex to deal with, I don't have the longterm planning or finacial stability of a Single-Mother-By-Choice...my set of issues it totally differant and no one seems to be writing about them.

#13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Medusa
I want to see some "Hey you got knocked up and now your raising a child on your own in poverty!" books.

I read several single parenting books while I was pregnant and could not relate to any of them. I don't have a divorce or an ex to deal with, I don't have the longterm planning or finacial stability of a Single-Mother-By-Choice...my set of issues it totally differant and no one seems to be writing about them.
This is exactly the kinda thing the book I wrote about above addressed.

#15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Satori
This is exactly the kinda thing the book I wrote about above addressed.

oooo! Thanks!
I'd heard of Hip Mama Survival guide but never got around to checking it out. I will now, thank for the tip.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.