Living Situation - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 09-09-2006, 11:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If anyone doesn't mind, please tell me your living situation - number of bedrooms and number of people in the house. I've been looking into apartments and they are so much more expensive than I thought. Would two kids under 5 in a one bedroom be crazy? Do landlords even rent one bedrooms to someone with two kids?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 19 Old 09-09-2006, 11:51 PM

It would have worked for us, my kids and I, to be in one bedroom when they were both under 5. I knew a guy in my old apartment building who had one bedroom and two kids but I'm not sure how often they were with him.

I've actually fantasized about moving back into that apartment with the kids -- it was so much cheaper and more simple. We'd just have to get rid of most of our stuff!
#3 of 19 Old 09-10-2006, 01:21 AM

Location: Driftless Region of Iowa, on a beautiful little farm.
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I think it's do-able.
We have a small two bedroom, but it's ten miles outside of town so the rent is VERY cheap. What I save in rent, I make up for in gas....

#4 of 19 Old 09-10-2006, 01:29 AM

It's doable. I have friends who are four to a one bed room and somehow they manage.
#5 of 19 Old 09-10-2006, 04:08 AM

I live in a two bedroom and we barely use the "girl's room." If you live in a place where you can utilize the outdoors, won't get cabin feverish, have enough storage to make your areas somewhat multi purpose without feeling cluttered, I'd say go for it!
#6 of 19 Old 09-10-2006, 04:19 AM

I live in a three bedroom townehouse/apartment. Just me and ds.

When I was younger, there were 3 kids (me-6, lil sis-4 and other lil sis-1) plus my mom and dad in a one bedroom apartment. I don't even remember feeling cramped to be honest--not at that age.

Kelly, mama (12yoDS), doula, RN, and writer.
There's no where you can be that isn't where you were meant to be, its easy
#7 of 19 Old 09-10-2006, 09:12 AM

I've been considering getting a 1 bedroom with my daughter. I think it would be easier to have her in my room. I can't think of any reason it couldnt work. That is, unless somebody snores!
#8 of 19 Old 09-10-2006, 09:40 AM

I have a two bedroom - my dd and I but her room is really only used for keeping her toys and clothes. We dont use our living room either - that is used for the unfolded laundry
#9 of 19 Old 09-10-2006, 10:04 AM

I have 2 girls with me full time and we have lived in a one bedroom for a year now. I find it comfortable. My girls sleep with me anyway. Its possible.. really.

I pay 500.00 monthly and its not worth it but oh well.
Goos luck!
#10 of 19 Old 09-10-2006, 11:05 AM

I think you can do it, but I've found that the general 'rule' for landlords is 2 people per bedroom, so a one br could have 2, 2 br/4 people. I'm sure there are ways around that though.

Growing up there were 8 of us (6 kids, 2 parents) living in a 2 bedroom/1 bath home. We all managed and survived!

Now my dd and I live in a 3 br/1 bath house, about 1700 sf...it's way too big for the two of us...although another bathroom would be great!
#11 of 19 Old 09-10-2006, 11:15 PM

It sounds do-able to me. Right now ds and I live in a 2 bedroom apartment, but his bedroom is going to be turned into a therapy/play room (it was empty for the first 6 months or so, then I made it into a bedroom for him, he slept in it for a few months, then decided to move back into my bed. So his bed is going into my room and his room is being turned into a therapy/play room). Above me is 3 adults and 2 kids in a 2 bedroom and they seem fine (occaisionally there is another kid there too, when his dad has visits).

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#12 of 19 Old 09-11-2006, 12:04 AM

I live in a 3 bedroom/1 bathroom raised ranch with DS (5) and my parents (so 3 adults, 1 child). I can't afford to move out. My parents won't even let me pay rent.
#13 of 19 Old 09-11-2006, 12:40 AM

I live in a 3 br house with DS and DP, but before we moved here (and DP moved in) we were in a 3 br house with me, DS, my sister, and sister's BF. DS and I pretty much shared a room.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#14 of 19 Old 09-11-2006, 01:30 AM

For a long time we did three kiddos and I in a two bedroom one bath- we were there breifly when the baby was born, but now we are 4 kiddos and one mama in a 3 bedroom.
I think it's doable- not sure about the legalities though.

Punk, hippy, mama to 4 amazing kiddos, Boy#1 (18), TheGirl (13), Boy#2 (11- PBD) and Boy#3 (6)
#15 of 19 Old 09-11-2006, 03:32 AM

Remember the show "Alice" about the waitress in the diner? She had a one bedroom apartment, gave her son the bedroom while she made up the sleeper sofa every night.

My kids and I live in one bedroom even though we have lots of rooms. As long as your kids have a place to go if they need privacy I think it's fine.
#16 of 19 Old 09-11-2006, 08:53 AM
TAC

I live in a three bedroom duplex. I rent from my brother. I have a dd, and a ds. I didn't want them to share a bedroom with each other. I thought they would need privacy at their age. X has a two bedroom, he has a bunk bed with ds. It bothered me that at ds's age he shared a bedroom with x, I called CPS anonoumously to see what the rule was. They have no rules where this is concerned. They don't penalize based on cramped living conditions.
#17 of 19 Old 09-12-2006, 03:22 AM

I just bought a 2br house for myself and the 2DDs. I cosleep the lil one (most of the time) and when she is old enough I'll get bunk beds for the girls!
#18 of 19 Old 09-12-2006, 03:54 AM

3br, with 1br an office (WAH). Depending on the housing market & state homeowner plans, you may be able to buy with no money down. Frequently cheaper than renting, esp if you go condo & don't have to deal with maintenance.
#19 of 19 Old 09-13-2006, 03:06 AM

As you can tell from the posts, it all depends on your sleeping arrangements. For about 5 years, I slept with my two boys in dh's and my huge bed, with dh sleeping in what was supposed to be our older son's room. (We had very little sex life even then; no suprise we're divorcing now). A one bedroom apt would have been fine then. Half the time, dh slept on the couch anyway, because he liked to watch tv to fall asleep (I need total silence and use earplugs).

Now that my oldest is 13, though, he's getting private about his body, and his phone conversations with friends, and so forth; so it's time for him to have his own room, which I now can afford with my parents helping me financially. But imho, the more kids sleep in the same room, and the longer they do it, the healthier for everyone. I love lying in the room with them at night when they go to bed, talking about all the stuff they merely grunted about after school. I love hearing them wrestling and laughing in there after I've said good night.

So I'd squish as many as you can into as few rooms as possible. Stbx has a 2bedroom apt. with the 3 kids. He sleeps in his living room on a futon while the older two get one room together, and our 3 yr old has his own room (don't even ask--he's impossible to sleep with ).

Remember that probably way more than half of the world's population sleeps in a room with 10 or more people, including aunts, uncles, grandparents, babies, cousins--whoever!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page