CAT scan - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-03-2006, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter
TAC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone ever had their child have a CAT scan. x is insisting on a CAT scan for ds. He claims that it will identify any learing disabilities. The pediatrician went along with this and recommended a pediatric nuerologist. When I spoke with the nuerologist they told me they never/if rarely send a child for a CAT scan. The levels of radiation are too high. Has anyone ever had their child have a CAT scan and if so why, and what were the results.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2006, 10:51 AM

I never have. We attempted to do an MRI a couple months ago but they gave him the maximum sedation and he still wouldn't pass out. So we skipped it. I then took him to see a ped neurologist and we decided we weren't going to try again right now (the only other option was taking him to a bigger hospital where they could put him under general anesthesia).

I would trust the ped neurologist. He more than likely knows what he's talking about. I'm not sure a CAT scan can identify learning disabilities anyway. It would show if there is any damage to the brain, I think.

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

Old 11-03-2006, 10:53 AM

I had epilepsy as a kid, and I had several CT scans without incident. How old is DS? If the neuro supports it and there is medical reason, then I would do it. But, having a test for the sake of it without reason is just crazy (and your X is a tad on the crazy side from what I have read).
Old 11-03-2006, 10:53 AM

My son had a CAT scan when he was three, but it was for medical reasons, not as an attempt to identify learning disabilities.
Old 11-03-2006, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmace View Post
My son had a CAT scan when he was three, but it was for medical reasons, not as an attempt to identify learning disabilities.
She said it so much more politely than I could even come close to thinking about, so I sent you a pm.
Old 11-03-2006, 11:09 AM

My dd had a few MRIs also for medical reasons...

A CAT scan was not one of our options. It was discovered ahe has some brain 'abnormalities' that may cause some learning disabilities and can contribute to seizures as well as the possibility of epilepsy but our neurologist said that the learning disabilities and seizures could not be diagnosed by brain scans- only by looking at what dd does as she matures...

I'd decline the unnecessary xrays...
Old 11-03-2006, 04:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcarons View Post
Has anyone ever had their child have a CAT scan. x is insisting on a CAT scan for ds. He claims that it will identify any learing disabilities. The pediatrician went along with this and recommended a pediatric nuerologist. When I spoke with the nuerologist they told me they never/if rarely send a child for a CAT scan. The levels of radiation are too high. Has anyone ever had their child have a CAT scan and if so why, and what were the results.
A CAT scan can't ID learning disabilities. It can only point out "abnormal" parts of the brain. Since everyone's brain is slightly different, it doesn't even help that much. Your X is wacked if he thinks that will work.

Besides, even if it did show where your ds might have problems, what is going to happen? Brain surgery?!? :

Check out my radio blog, Pagan Musings.
I'm a head-covering witchy mama to DS ('06) and DD ('10) with DH, Stormie, a Heathen breadwinning daddy.
Old 11-03-2006, 11:40 PM

What is your ds's diagnosis (s)? I have actually heard about something called The PET scan. I'm not sure if it's been successful in identifying other disabilities, but I know it has been useful in diagnosing ADHD. It's effective because it can measure blood flow to various parts of the brain. This scan shows that in ADHD kids, the parts of the brain that are responsible for processing visual and auditory information are being overloaded. This is why they have trouble concentrating. I don't think that CAT scans can show anything but abnormalities. But generally, CAT scans have a lower level of radiation exposure and when done on children, they try to limit it as much as possible. I would try researching and suggesting to x, the PET scan. Maybe if you tell him about the information you found (if it's ADHD your questioning) he might be more open. I think it would make it harder for him to question if you have some good medical info to back it up. I wouldn't go with a CAT scan if the doctors don't feel it's absolutely necessary. Hope this helps!
Old 11-04-2006, 05:54 AM

my child had one after a grand mal seizure but I think they are really expensive, I wouldn't agree. I would protest and make the ex cover 100 percent of the cost if it even is allowed to take place.

The cat scan didn't find anything and they sent us for an MRI, which didn't find anything either.
Old 11-04-2006, 11:49 AM

Can't you just throw your X off a bridge or something?

oh, sorry.. did I say that outloud? He's CRAZY!! I would just decline the whole thing saying there's nothing wrong with DC to indicate the need for a CAT scan and the neuro doesn't recommend it. Switching peds should also be a consideration to find one that doesn't think a CAT scan is the way to go! ick!

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

Old 11-05-2006, 12:13 PM

rmcarons, you have posted before about struggles you've had with ds and his learning disabilities, x may have suggested a CAT scan, which may be an incorrect suggestion, but I'm not sure he is doing it to be a jerk. Maybe he's just trying to help ds in his own way. Maybe that's a good thing?
Old 11-06-2006, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter
TAC

Yes, I do believe he is trying to help ds in his own way. I think he truly believes he's saving ds from me. I think he is convinced that I have medicated ds to simply control him. The problem is ds has had many many many tests. None of which x wanted to be involved in, none of which he wanted toknow anything about. I handled it from the get go. To give ds medication was not an easy decision, and if he had been involved in any part of the medical aspect from the beginning he would no that. He has come in on the tail end and made a suggestion. He wanted ds tested at Boston Children's Hospital last year. I had sole custody. Ds had already had every test under the sun, except cat scan. I chose to wait, and see how medication worked before we made any appointment and put ds through three days of medical testing. This angered x tremendously. He tried to take me to court, he contacted the law gaurdian, but I had excellent reasons, and ds began to flourish. There was no reason to do the testing. X is making me pay for "ignoring" his request to have ds tested at Boston. He feels, (I know because he's made it clear), that I have taken the easy way out and just medicated ds. No matter how you try to talk to him and tell him to read the file. Look at what has already been done, he can't hear you. I have given x the benefit of the doubt. I know he loves his children. I know he wants what is best for them. I know he wants to be a part of thier lives. I also know that he would take me back in a second and have his family together.
But the problem is, just because his intentions are good doesn't mean he behaves well. Just because he harms his child in the guise of discipline doesn't mean he doesn't love the child. It's just discipline right? Just because he can call me a lazy bag of s**t in a fit of temper doesn't mean he doesn't love me. The problem with men of this nature is their motives are good, but the way the parent and partner is not.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:43 AM

Quote:
But the problem is, just because his intentions are good doesn't mean he behaves well. Just because he harms his child in the guise of discipline doesn't mean he doesn't love the child. It's just discipline right? Just because he can call me a lazy bag of s**t in a fit of temper doesn't mean he doesn't love me. The problem with men of this nature is their motives are good, but the way they parent and partner is not.
Interesting perspective about the motives. Thanks for presenting that.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:27 AM

Quote:
The problem is ds has had many many many tests. None of which x wanted to be involved in, none of which he wanted toknow anything about. I handled it from the get go.
This is where I have been with dd during the past year. I actually begged her father to come to some of thebmore important consults but he couldn't be bothered. DD's doctors were apparently not important enough for him to take a vacation day from work. She even had 2 surgeries- both of which I was told to call him when it's over.

Quote:
and if he had been involved in any part of the medical aspect from the beginning he would no that. He has come in on the tail end and made a suggestion.
And this is my fear! He has bristled at all of the treatments, too. He refuses to put her glasses on even though she can't see without them. He feels it's "ridiculous" that an infant should wear glasses. Just one of the smaller issues but it illustrates his attitude.

I hope he won't decide in a year (or two or three) to come in and try to make suggestions like your X. I would explode

mamma! Try to shrug off his suggestions and criticism. You've obviously made the best decisions for your son!

Sorry- I have no idea how I got that "party guy" in the message- I can't seem to edit him out
Old 11-06-2006, 11:50 AM

I agree with what you said rmcarons. Motives good but actions are not. Man vs. Male. Calling you names in an argument is not good either. But I was guilty of the same things in my relationship...'dirty fighting.' We each knew exactly what to say to each other to bring the other one down. Insecurities, swearing, etc. It was horrible and in the end, we had done it so much that it was like we couldn't go back. We damaged each other so badly. It became that instantly if one of us misperceived a look, a supposed joke, anything, things would explode. It grew to be extremely exhausting. I'm independent and I guess a 'fighter.' I've learned more now to pick my battles. I guess I just don't have it in me anymore...

P.S. Did you look into the PET scan thing? Is it relevent to your ds?
Old 11-06-2006, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter
TAC

I did ask the current child psychologist about the pet scan. He said it is one of the new tests that are being used. It is still not perfected and he didn't think it would actually show anything in this case. He recommended for this child to not use the test.

I appreciate all the views. We have a potential new psychiatrist. They take up to 3 business days to return your phone call. It will be that long before I know if they will even see ds. The last one just refused because it was a court order and they don't want to be involved in court cases. Maybe this one will be different. I begged the new pediatrician to get involved, he said if this doesn't pan out he wants us both in to develop a plan of action. Time is a wastin.....
Old 11-06-2006, 10:54 PM

I wish you the best.

It seemed like your ex was laying low for a while (you weren't posting about him and his antics). Is that the case or were you just tired of posting about him? Just wondering. This guy is a real piece of work!

You seem stronger about all this now than you did before. I wish you all the best!

User Tag List