Looking to move child out of state - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-31-2006, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone in PA move a child out of state away from their dad? I need to know how hard the courts will fight me. I know his dad will fight me all the way. Any tips anyone can give me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2007, 12:37 AM

First off- your DD has the prettiest, most awesomest name ever!!! : That's my totally (unbiased opinion!

Secondly, does the dad know you're moving? Is he going to file any custody papers? Are you? How far are you thinking of moving away?

As far as i know it's possible to move out of state as long as there are no custody papers and no one has been served to appear in court.

The unfortunate downside to that is that your child might have extended visits with their other parent. (all summer, school breaks, etc)
Old 01-01-2007, 02:32 AM - Thread Starter

We Have custody papers in force that say I have to give 60 days notice. Which we have discussed in the past few months that I wanted to move and he has stated that he is going to fight me to keep me in state if I want to keep him. We want to move about 500 miles away to NC to live w/ my parents due to money reasons and lack of support network where I am living now....and thx....I like your name too
Old 01-01-2007, 07:21 PM

I think the court is more likely to allow you to move if you can provide them these answers...

- Is there a support network where you are?
- Will the move better the child(ren)s lives? How?
- Do you have things lined up (a way to support them? Job? Place to live?)
- How will visits be handled? Will you be willing to bring them back to their dad and/or pay for the transportation?
- Do you have a way to keep the kid in contact with the other parent between visits (email, phone calls, etc)?

Also, I think you will have to realize that moving farther away will almost definately mean longer visits for the kids. Instead of every other weekend it's more likely to be most of the summer and school breaks. I've also heard of some cases where the court will allow the parent to move the child out of state, but that parent is responsible for all costs related to transporting the child to and from visits with the dad (the thinking there is that the dad didn't move away, the mom did and so the mom should be prepared to handle the added expenses).

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

Old 01-02-2007, 07:22 PM

I am going through it right now honey..
My advice to you is to file before he does with all info provided by :. Oh and use statements like "It is in the best interest of the children to move and be with there mother whome they have lived with all there lives." in your declarations....

PM me for more....
Love and Light
Old 01-03-2007, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

I can provide good answers to all the statements and I am willing to let him go for summer breaks and school holidays if his dad wants him. My parents have a HUGE house w/ bedrooms for all of us and I will be able to take myself off of welfare by living w/ them and go back to school for my masters degree. My kids view my parents house as a second home too. I am sure we can find transportation for my son to go back and forth to visit him too. Does that sound good enough?

User Tag List