January dating thread!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 172 Old 01-01-2007, 12:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Happy new year everyone (about an hour early)

I have much hope for this year. It has to be better than last year, I know it...it will be fabulous! I can sense that I'm just around the corner from my next relationship.

I'm now communicating with a guy named Joe who I met online (gosh, I hope he doesn't google my username) He sounds great, I enjoyed talking to him. We are definately compatible over the phone. Wish me luck, I desreve a decent date for a change. I also want the passion, the spark, and I won't settle for anything less.

*fingers are crossed*

What about you????

Do tell...

Whatever will be, already is...

#2 of 172 Old 01-01-2007, 02:19 AM

I'm currently single. I'm not really looking for a committed relationship, since I can't seem to find a guy who can handle my life. We'll see what happens.

BelovedK ~ I hope things with Joe keep going well!

Kerry, loving wife to Pete, mama to DD (14) DS1 (9) DS2 (3) & Expecting someone new Jan 2013

#3 of 172 Old 01-01-2007, 02:58 AM - Thread Starter

All we can do is see what happens...you never know, when you're ready, the right situation will appear. I firmly believe this. I feel ready, but I may need to do more work on myself, maybe that's why I'm not meeting anyone 'good' for me.

I just did a little ceremony clearing out the junk and old ways of thinking from my life. I hope I meet someone, but I don't want to focus too much on it...I guess I think that might jinx my chances

#4 of 172 Old 01-01-2007, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelovedK View Post
All we can do is see what happens...you never know, when you're ready, the right situation will appear. I firmly believe this. I feel ready, but I may need to do more work on myself, maybe that's why I'm not meeting anyone 'good' for me.
Yeah, I agree with that. Although.. it would be great to be ready, cause I'd like for the right situation to appear.

It sounds like you have a good New Years. That's really exciting! I hung out with my parents, and with my current exhaustion level it was all I really wanted to do. I was a bit grumpy that I had free childcare for the whole night and yet I didn't go anywhere, but oh well.

Kerry, loving wife to Pete, mama to DD (14) DS1 (9) DS2 (3) & Expecting someone new Jan 2013

#5 of 172 Old 01-01-2007, 01:00 PM

HAPPY ang HEALTHY new year mamma's!!!!!!

M,partner to D,mama to Sofia (6/01), Madeline(11/04), and Quin(2/08)  Hoping for a tubal reversal baby SOON after the proceduremakebabe.gif

#6 of 172 Old 01-01-2007, 01:40 PM

Quote:
I'm now communicating with a guy named Joe who I met online (gosh, I hope he doesn't google my username)
BelovedK,

I think one of my matches fell through because someone did this and so I got smart and changed my username. But good luck! On a whim I signed up for eharmony because I was getting tired of match.com and I think I just wasted sixty bucks. Everyone lives so far away and while I'm not particularly fond of where I live, I don't know if I could move for an iffy relationship. But this online stuff keeps me from getting bored at work. (I know, such a terrible hobby). Good luck!!
#7 of 172 Old 01-01-2007, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by solareyna View Post
BelovedK,

I think one of my matches fell through because someone did this and so I got smart and changed my username. But good luck! On a whim I signed up for eharmony because I was getting tired of match.com and I think I just wasted sixty bucks. Everyone lives so far away and while I'm not particularly fond of where I live, I don't know if I could move for an iffy relationship. But this online stuff keeps me from getting bored at work. (I know, such a terrible hobby). Good luck!!
You can change the proximity on eHarmony, so they will only match you with people within the proximity you chose.

I met my current DP via eHarmony. Personally, I preferred eHarmony over the other, especially Match.com. I hated have to sort though so much crap and then finding that half the guys were not as serious as I needed/wanted.

BUT...the bad thing about eHarmony, is that it takes time and is expensive.

I had been signed up with eHarmony for almost 1 year (met with 2 other guys during that time, who were nice guys, just not for me) before meeting my DP.

Good luck.
#8 of 172 Old 01-01-2007, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
ok girls this year i am gonna get divorced, meet my man (i decided i am no longer looking for casual romantic relationships - tried it last year and wasnt happy with it), get married and get preggo this year. i am READY for it.

but first i have to really get my trembling scared self together and move to the next city i have been dying to move to for years. its time for action - and i feel if i can do that then i will have all that i want.

a community and some good friends to hang around with.

but first and foremost i want my babies. my dd and i are tired of waiting for them. lack of money stops me from adopting or fostering.

fingers crossed for u beloved

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#9 of 172 Old 01-01-2007, 05:07 PM

meemee....You go girl!

Yep, this is my year too. I am going to meet the man that will be my long time partner and role model to my kids. I love my life, I have an abundance of love, friends and family around me. I am grateful everyday for the wonderful life I have created and the experiences I have being a single mom. I love where I am at (emotionally, spiritually, mentally & physically) and therefore I know that when he comes into my life it will just be an added bonus to the amazing experience of life I am already creating for myself and my kids.

I deserve to be in a healthy, mutually loving and respectful relationship....and gosh darn it...I'm ready for it too!!!!!
#10 of 172 Old 01-01-2007, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

I hope that when all of us find our perfect partners, we still visit this forum...I'd miss you guys

#11 of 172 Old 01-02-2007, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsChatsAlot View Post
meemee....You go girl!

Yep, this is my year too. I am going to meet the man that will be my long time partner and role model to my kids. I love my life, I have an abundance of love, friends and family around me. I am grateful everyday for the wonderful life I have created and the experiences I have being a single mom. I love where I am at (emotionally, spiritually, mentally & physically) and therefore I know that when he comes into my life it will just be an added bonus to the amazing experience of life I am already creating for myself and my kids.

I deserve to be in a healthy, mutually loving and respectful relationship....and gosh darn it...I'm ready for it too!!!!!

That's what I'm saying perfectly said!!!

and meemee I believe that this year is going to be my year also the last few years have made me stronger wiser and defanately made me know what I will not stand for in a relationship I do believe that the perfect person is out there for each of us we just all need to met them to realize it I think they are hideing: we'll find them

HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone!!

Glenn bouncy.gif 11*09 Joe 4*04 peace.gif Me praying.gif & Hubby geek.gif

Quote:

#12 of 172 Old 01-02-2007, 02:31 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
oh MCAL u said it so much better than me.

beloved i coudl never leave. i had to take a long hiatus this year when my computer died adn when i had to work on myself and how to look at ex i had to disappear from here and figure otu my own reality without getting affected by others experiences. but now that i have all that and me sorted back i return happily.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#13 of 172 Old 01-02-2007, 02:32 AM - Thread Starter

with a guy I met online (the same Joe I talked about earlier) We really get along over the phone. I sure hope we vibe in person...it's about time I had a good date.

Wish me luck mamas

#14 of 172 Old 01-02-2007, 10:53 AM

Well, my New Years Eve was a blast. I went up to Jesse's around noon, we hung out, started drinking about 2, by 5 we had gone through a whole bottle of rum, just the 2 of us. From 5-9 we had a "lovefest", all I can say about that is woah baby, new record. Then we watched the Da Vinci Code, rung in the new year watching South Park & Carlos Mencia on Comedy Central. We finally went to sleep around 2am. It was nice to actually wake up to someone lying next to me.

BUT

again he's not answering my messages so it has me all paranoid. We had a long talk about things and I felt a lot better, but now I'm not so sure. I can't say that I'm in love with him, that my heart is going to break, but it will break if I lose his friendship, I really care about him & regardless of whatever we are or become I do care about him & love him as a friend.
#15 of 172 Old 01-02-2007, 02:59 PM

Sunnybaby....
If this guy is a real friend, or really worthy of your friendship, he will call. If he is interested in you and interested in dating you, he will call.

I know I have tortured myself many times over the years waiting for calls from men, giving away all my power and thinking that the only way I was validated was through them & by the attention they paid to me. I was never satisfied, often wondering whether or not they'll call and ended up in a lot of dead-end relationships. I didn't realize it at the time, but I was often coming across as desperate and needy and I was DEFINITELY choosing men who weren't available in the way I wanted or needed them to be. It was torture waiting for that phone to ring, because I was basing all of my worthiness in his attention to me. And anytime we seek for validation outside ourselves, we always end up frustrated, confused or unfulfilled because it really has to come from within.

I have been there and done that so many times in my life, I could write a book (possibly a whole series!!!) However, I continued to create the same pattern of discontent in my life because I never really took the time to figure out me...before jumping into another relationship.

I have recently had the opportunity to experience a mutual relationship and can tell you there is a world of difference between the two. If someone really likes you, they call. If you are really okay with who you are, it doesn't matter if they call or not. Being okay with yourself and liking yourself comes first and when it does, it still stings when someone else doesn't reciprocate...but we quickly recover and see that it means there is someone better on their way. If we aren't okay with ourselves, we spend a lot of time waiting for the phone to ring, giving our power away to the other person, trying to please them, trying to 'keep' them and depending on them to make us feel better about ourselves...and that never happens.

I wish you well. From what I've read & if I understand it correctly, you are still living with your husband and barely out of your marriage. It is a time filled with a surprising number of emotions and issues to resolve. I love the way Harville Hendrix describes that when we don't resolve things from our previous relationship, we carry those same issues into the next one and they will be more in our face than ever before. I have never lived such truer words.

I hope you find peace with this relationship.
#16 of 172 Old 01-02-2007, 05:02 PM

I do believe that this is all our year!!!!!! My dp and i get stronger everyday and it is wonderful...although he is not comfortable talking about the mc....I don't think he really "get's" how upset I am about it!! But i gues that is just that. We spent all day together yesterday and it was marvelous. I am now in the "when to introduce kids" stage...... I really have no clue on the right answer to that....:

M,partner to D,mama to Sofia (6/01), Madeline(11/04), and Quin(2/08)  Hoping for a tubal reversal baby SOON after the proceduremakebabe.gif

#17 of 172 Old 01-02-2007, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsChatsAlot View Post

I wish you well. From what I've read & if I understand it correctly, you are still living with your husband and barely out of your marriage. It is a time filled with a surprising number of emotions and issues to resolve. I love the way Harville Hendrix describes that when we don't resolve things from our previous relationship, we carry those same issues into the next one and they will be more in our face than ever before. I have never lived such truer words.

I hope you find peace with this relationship.
Yes, I am now living again with stbx, but we were separated from May-Nov. when I moved back in because of financial & medical issues. It was a mistake to move back in because we just have more problems now, but I am going to get out as soon as I can. Our marriage has pretty much been over for 2 years, I'm just waiting on some $ to push the divorce through.
#18 of 172 Old 01-02-2007, 06:05 PM

BelovedK - good luck!!! I think I might have found another good potential through eharmony already as well.

On another note - why do I keep attracting men that have emotional problems??? The guy I dated on Saturday (who I couldn't bring myself to kiss good night because he was just not attractive to me - post in December thread) sent me an email today and said he has lost all passion for life and has spent every minute in bed being depressed since our date. I told him I was here as a friend and I encouraged him to seek help. What else could I do? He got way into me way too fast and had convinced himself I was his soulmate before we even met. I don't think that was fair to me at all or am I being selfish? I really hope he doesn't do anything stupid but I don't feel I have any responsibility to do anything, do I? We talked via email and phone for four days and had two dates in two days. That was it. I enjoyed his friendship and I told him as much but there was no chemistry at all. Just when I think I am getting over my baggage someone starts foisting theirs on me. But I don't have to take theirs. I have enough of my own.
#19 of 172 Old 01-02-2007, 06:28 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
I don't think that was fair to me at all or am I being selfish? I really hope he doesn't do anything stupid but I don't feel I have any responsibility to do anything, do I? We talked via email and phone for four days and had two dates in two days. That was it. But I don't have to take theirs. I have enough of my own.
No, you are not being selfish. No, you should not feel any reponsibility to do anything. This is NOT your problem...at all.

In all honesty, I would probably cut off all contact with this person.

My gf went out with a guy that did this to her after 1 date. She tried to "soften the blow" by saying, "I just want to be friends...blah, blah, blah." Honestly, she didn't want to be friends, she just didn't want to hurt his feelings. He proceeded with the same bs as you are dealing with now. He eventually ended up stalking her for 6 months.

Her life was miserable and frightening at times. He was eventually arrested and she moved out of the country by the time he was released from jail.

PLEASE be careful.
#20 of 172 Old 01-02-2007, 07:41 PM

Quote:
On another note - why do I keep attracting men that have emotional problems??? The guy I dated on Saturday (who I couldn't bring myself to kiss good night because he was just not attractive to me - post in December thread) sent me an email today and said he has lost all passion for life and has spent every minute in bed being depressed since our date. I told him I was here as a friend and I encouraged him to seek help. What else could I do? He got way into me way too fast and had convinced himself I was his soulmate before we even met. I don't think that was fair to me at all or am I being selfish? I really hope he doesn't do anything stupid but I don't feel I have any responsibility to do anything, do I? We talked via email and phone for four days and had two dates in two days. That was it. I enjoyed his friendship and I told him as much but there was no chemistry at all. Just when I think I am getting over my baggage someone starts foisting theirs on me. But I don't have to take theirs. I have enough of my own.

I agree with Holland.
It's best just to cut all ties, tell him you are sorry, but he needs help and you are not qualified nor interested in the job.

As for how to avoid healthy men....make sure you ask a lot of questions covering a lot of ground. Unhealthy people/needy people/weirdo-freaks/liars, etc. all have a way of uncovering their true selves quickly...ask lots of questions, have a few conversations, and follow your instincts.
#21 of 172 Old 01-02-2007, 07:55 PM

You really just need to focus on "you". I hope that all of that does not put a damper on you!!!! You can di it!!!!

#22 of 172 Old 01-03-2007, 01:45 PM

Thanks ladies. I haven't heard from him and I am trying to not worry about the fact that he might not be ok. He is a big boy and makes his own decisions in life. One thing it has taught me is to be a little more careful about who I meet and how I meet them. If they are not comfortable with a week or two of getting to know each other via email and phone before we meet in person, I figure it was not meant to happen. I think I am enjoying being single too much to settle down right now anyway... it has been so long since I was single and it is nice to be getting all this attention. (yes I am shameless)
#23 of 172 Old 01-03-2007, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

I got a little too close with a male friend last night (to talk about it would be a UA violation) : :

I still want to meet Joe though, I'm not usually like that

#24 of 172 Old 01-03-2007, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

It's not the male friend that I talked about in the past that I spend too much time with, but more of a casual friend. Now I'm thinking about him

There is NO future with him, I have high hopes for Joe though :

Quote:
I got a little too close with a male friend last night (to talk about it would be a UA violation) : :

I still want to meet Joe though, I'm not usually like that

#25 of 172 Old 01-03-2007, 02:55 PM

Well, a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do sometimes!
#26 of 172 Old 01-03-2007, 03:29 PM

Hope it was a GOOD time!!!

#27 of 172 Old 01-03-2007, 04:13 PM

Beloved: sometimes things like that happen. You gotta do what you gotta do Don't beat yourself up over it, deal with it and move on. If you feel like you still want to meet Joe then go for it!

Solareyna: RUN! It's not your fault this guy is so depressed. Anyone who gets that upset over a date obviously had some mental issues to begin with. It sounds like he's trying to guilt you into liking him, RED FLAG.

Sunnybaby: Glad you had a good new year's eve. I agree with all of what MCAL has said. If someone really likes you they will find the time to call, end of story. There is no such thing as being too busy to call, no one is so busy that they don't have 1 free minute in life.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#28 of 172 Old 01-03-2007, 09:04 PM

Beloved - I know exactly how that feels!

I'm currently single..ish? There's this guy.. he was my VERY first boyfriend (when I was 13! ) He and I have kept touch throughout the years, and since this summer we've been hanging out alot. For the past few months I've been seeing him about once a week. We enjoy lots of.. .. UA violations, and we talk and stuff.. but we're "just friends?" "Open relationship without the relationship title?" I don't know what you would call it. I do know it's not a boyfriend/girlfriend thing, nor is it really a monogomous thing.. it's weird. :

I enjoy it though. I really enjoy it. There's no realtionship pressure, we're really great freinds too. He has only seen DC once or twice.. we did go to the beach this summer, but he's more for me. : I guess there are a few problems though.

1. I'm not interested in other people, really. This isn't really a bad thing, is also may just be because I know if I was it would be ok? I'm really bad at monogomy.. :
2. I really *really* like him
3. He's joining the Peace Corp.. he leaves in May. For 2 years.

Alright. This wasn't ment to be long. Also, I don't think I could use any more smilies legitimately.

#29 of 172 Old 01-04-2007, 01:04 AM - Thread Starter

Kerry, I wish 'my' guy would come over every night The only thing is that it would get in the way of my meeting the real, right one. I truly believe that.

#30 of 172 Old 01-04-2007, 01:41 AM

Yeah, I keep thinking that too. Then I think, well.. I can't really deal with a relationship, things are to crazy. Why not just enjoy this and in May go looking? : I'm a bit frustrated with relationships, since my last one ended because he couldn't handle DC's needs.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page