going back to school!! need advice from other single, student mamas - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-26-2007, 01:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've decided to bite the bullet and finish my degree. have any other single mamas done this? we'll have to go on public assistance (I'll continue working at my part time job)..any other mamas been there?
any advie, suggestions?
how do you do it moneywise?
what about studying, burnout???

any advice, suggestions would be great.

RN, Tree-huggin, chicken-raisin'chicken3.gif, mountain climbing, yoga attempting namaste.gif Mama to Miss Areading.gif (10) and Miss K joy.gif(8). Newly re-married wife to DHpartners.gif We're pregnant!!belly.gifExpecting our new little addition this November!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2007, 02:05 AM

Well I am taking a course at a time online. I work 2 jobs (50hrs a week) and have full custody of my son. I can't afford to go to schoo full time. I just couldn't live off student loans with my debt. My advice is to make time for school whenever you can. Sometimes I work at night, othertimes I take ds to daycare a couple of hours before I work to work on my course. Good luck mama.

Vanessa belly.gif, wife to Kev , mama to Byron (5) wild.gif and Billie (2) and  due in June
Old 02-26-2007, 10:07 PM

I don't have experience but I was thinking about going back to school myself. Here's some ideas I had had for myself. Have you tried looking into financial aide? I know through my community collage there are Pell Grants, which I think are national, anyway, they give you extra money to survive with. What about taking in a roommate? There's help from the state- food stamps-child care assistance-cash assistance. What about asking for more child support?(that's probably a long shot) Also maybe you could get more advice on the working and student mamas board, it is under parenting issues. Good luck! I hope you can manage to go back to school, cause in the long run you will make more money and be expanding your horizons. Lots of power to you mama!

Single mom to twin boys ('06)
Old 02-27-2007, 12:35 AM

There are a lot of us here who are students or have recently been students. I don't have time to post more now...but it's best to contact the school you're planning to attend and they will help you with your financial options. Also, you may want to consider some online courses. They are usually less expensive.
Old 02-27-2007, 04:02 AM

More power to you/us. I am going to school 3/4 time and...get community college paid for because I am over 25, single mamma. I also work pt and it is a lot....it has also enriched my life and gives me hope of getting out of a financial dead end.
We (son and I) are on public assistance and it is great. I think the shame attatched to pa is lame. shame=lame it is available while we are working our single butts off to support ouselves and our kids....it's not forever....and we aren't mooching. I get food stamps and medical assistance and I am soooo greatful.
When I began, I signed up and worked hard to schedule and get everything into place. I is a constant juggling act. It is not easy and we are just squeaking by every month.
Sometimes I meltdown (check my post 'need support please') but, graduation is a light at the end of the tunnel AND I have found a wonderful resource of support here.
So, go for it and write anytime you need support.
blessings
Old 02-28-2007, 02:35 AM

I'm taking my university degree full time through distance education right now. I get OSAP (provincial student loans) and along with my maternity leave benefits, and the government benefits that all parents in Canada get I'm doing OK money wise.

It's hard to get study time in some days, I have to be creative while he's sleeping and I get help from my Mom when I'm really stuck.

Good luck to you! It will be soooo worth it when it's all said and done

Alison
Mama to Toad (08/06), Frog (01/09)... and new baby Newt born on his due date, Sep. 8, 2010
Old 03-02-2007, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm in school now. It's pretty caotic, but it can be done. Just be strong-willed about it and know that even when it seems bad... the semester won't go on forever. And for each semester down, you're that much closer to graduation.

I go full-time at the university. I work part-time at a food co-op and also own the business in my siggy, which usually pays my rent each month. Just get yourself on any assistance you can... food stamps, low income housing etc. Take out loans if you have to, don't be afraid of the dept... think of it as an investment in your future.

coffee-drinking caffix.gifsocial worker in HIV/AIDS ribbonred.giflady-loving ribbonrainbow.gifbike-riding bikenew.gifmom of two twins.gif

User Tag List