Meddling xmil - ARGH! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-23-2007, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am fuming and feel the need to vent.

The drama quotient of my never-ending custody saga just went up. We were in the process of scheduling mediation for early next month, and one of the conditions was that ex drop his demand for a jury trial. He has said several times recently that he "just wants to settle this." Mediation, and a fall-back hearing date for unresolved issues, seemed a reasonable way to go about it. I talked with my attorney, signed and faxed an agreement, went to her office to sign an agreement, the attorneys and the mediator agreed on a date. It was thisclose to being official.

Enter the xmil. In one fell swoop she has removed all reasonableness from the situation. She has convinced ex that dropping the jury trial demand is a bad idea. We are back to square one. Never mind that a jury trial will be ugly, long, embarrassing, and cost about $30K. I am so very tired of her toxic meddling. She has been an instigator in so many of the ugly things ex has done in the course of this lawsuit, including violations of court orders.

Okay, vent off. Thanks for listening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2007, 02:12 PM

-Janna, independent mother of dd, Ms. Mattie Sky born on my 25th birthday, 06*23*2000. My Mama Feb.21,1938-Sept.10,2006
Old 05-23-2007, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

It just gets better.

He has instructed his attorney to do nothing else on his case - in effect fired her. This is his second attorney.

He and his mother have been going to the county offices trying to get the GAL pulled off the case. The GAL's recommendation is that I have primary custody.

Wow.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:08 PM

If he and his mother are being unreasonable...let them proceed, because they will end up losing in the end. I hope you can settle on something reasonable without a lengthy and expensive trial.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:40 PM

No advice, just I think the PP is right. If they keep acting like this, they'll lose. Are you having to pay half of the attorney fees?
Old 05-23-2007, 06:49 PM

wow, I'm really sorry. I guess just hang in there and hope that they'll end up showing themselves to be unreasonable trouble-makers. Keep good record of all the vioations he's made -- you might as well make a case for contempt at the same time.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:16 PM

I'm sorry. At least you have the GAL on your side, and i'm sure the going through lawyers isn't really going to help him in trial. I"m sure your lawyer will bring up the fact that when things didn't go his way he refused to comprimise and basically threw a s*** fit in order to stall because he wasn't getting his way.
Old 05-24-2007, 01:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsChatsAlot View Post
If he and his mother are being unreasonable...let them proceed, because they will end up losing in the end. I hope you can settle on something reasonable without a lengthy and expensive trial.
Natch.

After my last update the GAL released a letter which is very helpful to my position. If it does go to trial, I hope to get my attorney's fees awarded, especially since he has thrown a temper tantrum, and caused unnecessary expense, when we were on the verge of settling.

A person involved in the case has gone on record as saying ex acts out his hostility toward me on DS . I realized how true this is, and am so sad for little boy : .
Old 05-24-2007, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatermelonSnow View Post
Natch.

After my last update the GAL released a letter which is very helpful to my position. If it does go to trial, I hope to get my attorney's fees awarded, especially since he has thrown a temper tantrum, and caused unnecessary expense, when we were on the verge of settling.

A person involved in the case has gone on record as saying ex acts out his hostility toward me on DS . I realized how true this is, and am so sad for little boy : .

I was just about to recommend that if he wants to be a butthead and refuse mediation and proceed to jury trial, then he should foot the bill for your attorney's fees as well as his. Definitely tell the judge that he is the one who refused to mediate and insisted on taking the case to trial. And as far as I know, there is no county office that can remove a GAL from any case. That is done solely by the judge. I agree with the PP's, continue to give them ample rope to hang themselves by. It may be more prolonged this way, but you and DS will be better off for it. Hang in there mama.

M : proud mama to B (16) : and G (8) and : x 2 :
Old 05-25-2007, 12:37 AM

That situation sucks, but I agree with the previous posters. Sink your feet in prepare to ride it out. It may take a long time but in the end, you end up looking better for being reasonable.

Good luck, hang in there!
Old 05-25-2007, 07:17 AM

not very much advice here but based on my friends custody battle, I *think* changing lawyers is bad for ex. Also, maybe your MIL will annoy the courts. That would work in your favor. Keep us posted. Record things, and don't write emails and leave messages that are unstable sounding. good luck mama, try to enjoy your child in the midst of this.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, everybody. The plot continues to thicken, and I am pretty much content to sit back and watch the show for the time being. That and focusing on providing a bubble of protection for DS.

User Tag List