What happens at a custody trial? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 10-08-2007, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I went to court today and the court gave us a date for a custody trial..from what i understand..the trial is in front of a judge..what happens during a trial? I have not talked to my attorney yet..so i'm curious. Any one else been through a custody trial?

Mami to fly-by-nursing2.gifds 4 wks, ds 2yo, ds 6yo, dd 11yo, ds 17 yo. novaxnoIRC.gifwaterbirth.jpg
#2 of 4 Old 10-08-2007, 10:32 PM

I have not been thru it personally but have with clients that I work with. It's not set for mediation first? Are you and the children's other parent disagreeing on custody?

Kim, proud CPS mom to Marnie and my 4 legged kids, Jess, Zander, Oliver, Stumpy and Eddie.
#3 of 4 Old 10-09-2007, 12:41 AM

It is weird that you are not going to mediation before the custody trial ,,

Usually mediation is first ,, then if parties can not agree on custody arrangements then it goes to trial

Mediation is set where a mediator ,the 2 parties, and sometimes lawyers all get together and try to hash out any custody disputes and terms of custody ..

In an actual trial you are there with your lawyer before a judge with what you want for custody and why you want those things .. You are there to prove your case,, take with you any documentation to help your case, any witnesses to testify on your behalf ..

Dress nicely and be very polite
#4 of 4 Old 10-09-2007, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

We went to mediation and could not agree on anything..i'm moving out of the country and he does not want the children to go. He could not even agree to let the children come visit me if they stayed here with him. So off to court we go. My ex has no job..still lives at home with his mama...no money to support the children..does not pay child support...only see's the kids once a month for 2 days...and he wants to put up a fight. So i have no other choice than to go to trial. In my original post i ment to say that i just came back from court and my attorney had not called me since i saw him in court that day. So i was wondering what happens during a trial.

Mami to fly-by-nursing2.gifds 4 wks, ds 2yo, ds 6yo, dd 11yo, ds 17 yo. novaxnoIRC.gifwaterbirth.jpg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page