Mothering Forum banner

Please help! Insurance issue...

614 views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  kirei 
#1 ·
My ex wants to cancel our boys' health insurance they get through his work and have them get state-funded insurance through me instead. He says that he pays $220 per month (total for both for them) and would like to be able to save that money.

I make about $9000 per year plus child support and would almost definitely qualify for the Oregon Health Plan. He makes between $80 and $100k. I know how good it must sound to him to have that extra money, but at the expense of quality coverage for his kids??? One of his arguments is "they don't go to the doctor, so it's really just for dental coverage," as if they plan on never getting sick or having a broken bone!

Does anyone have any concrete knowledge or experiences that would help him understand what a disservice he would be doing his children by dropping their insurance?

Thank you,
Lavender

#2 ·
Can you draw up the differences in coPays in case of emergencies? As in - if DS crashes his bike and breaks a bone - here is how much we would both have to pay for the ER visit. Maybe seeing things that *could* happen, or the possibility if one child got really sick the costs out of pocket would overrun the amount of money he would have saved by then make it a bad risk?

Good luck Mama!

#5 ·
Hi lavender, we are in Oregon here too, and guess what. If he does drop the kids from his health insurance, he will be in deep do do with the state. They really dislike it, and at 80- 100K a year, he is not strapped enough to justify the tax payers paying for his children's medical care.
:

#6 ·
Not only that does the state frown it, but OHP sucks. For instance my son chipped a tooth, because we have to see OHP dentists, it has taken several months to get him in to a pediatric dentist and the tooth is so far gone they want to just remove it instead of "performing heroics" to save it. None of that would have been the case if we had real insurance.
I want to yell at him for you - he can't spend 3% of his income on his kid's health? What a UAV.

#9 ·
Thank you for your replies, kind ladies. I did download the application form to see what sort of questions they asked. It looks like they will pursue health coverage from an employer before giving benefits.

I also looked at our agreement (we went through mediation) and he did, in fact, agree to provide health coverage through work for as long as it was available.

I'm just so frustrated that he wouldn't WANT to do this for his own kids! Especially since he does think very highly of himself as a parent and person in general.

Please keep sharing experiences if you've got them! I'm going to email him tonight about this, and hopefully he'll give up on this idea of saving money soon.

Thank you,
Lavender

#10 ·
i'm in oregon, my dd was on state assistance, and the state would only carry her long enough to put through a court order themselves for her dad to pay insurance.

seriously, don't bother. tell him straight up... if he drops their insurance, the state will put through a court order themselves if you try to get them on state insurance. and then he will have no choice in the matter at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.