January dating thread!!!! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-19-2008, 12:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Off on a second date (he's making dinner) Downside, he's an hour away

Spring Sun, I used to live in Boulder. Just had to comment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2008, 12:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lld View Post
So, I'm supposed to have coffee with this guy tomorrow...and I've been trying not to think about it too much all week...but I have...and now the forecast says it's going to snow...maybe not so unusual in most parts of the country but I live in Georgia!!! Never thought I'd have to call a date off because of snow! : Should I call him and ask if he wants to reschedule or wait for him to call?
Because driving would be treacherous? If it's safe to go, I hope you will! Hot coffee on a snowy day sounds delightful! Alternatively you could go sledding together!
Old 01-19-2008, 12:44 AM

BugMacGee you have a dinner date tonight? Awesome!! please "dish" afterwards. My sweetie is an hour away, too, and it SUCKS. As if it's not already hard enough to deal with the logistics of dating when you're a single mama. (But it's worth it.)

BelovedK, I am excited for you! You've really been putting yourself out there, it's time for a win.

I'm getting together with bf tomorrow. Can't wait. We'll have our kids so it will be one of those "good behavior" efforts all day.... but hopefully after bedtime we can be naughty.
Old 01-19-2008, 06:14 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
oh, gosh, I am so glad there are some others of you dealing with the hour drive to see your guys. I've been doing it for 6 months (it's our anniversary on Sunday ) and that part has really gotten old He doesn't have a car right now but he'll sometimes take the train up here, like over the holidays. It's so frustrating to not be able to get together for a short date since it means at least 2 hours of driving with up to an extra hour if I drive home in morning rush hour after staying the night and waking up at 5am to get home to get the kids. It's hard not to want to rush into living together but, dang, the distance is keeelling me :

Robin~ single, work-at-home momma to my WonderBoys
YoungMan (6/00) & LittleBoy (6/04)
Old 01-19-2008, 06:24 AM

so, at what point do you feel comfortable having a new guy stay overnight when you have your kids?? I've been with DBF for 6 months now and my Ex is still not agreeing to him spending the night when I have the boys (not even on Christmas or New Year's Eve, so I had to drive him home on a holiday My kids really like him and they know he sometimes stays over when they're at Daddy's house (which is right next door), in fact, they often come in the house in the mornings and ask where he is I haven't even wanted to share a bed with him when they are here, but to have him sleep in my bed while I sleep with the boys (which is where I usually sleep when it's cold anyway since the space heater is in their room). It's really more of a logistical thing, since he lives so far away.

My boys are 7.5 and 3.5, and very verbally advanced so we talk about everything. They are fine with the split, though my 3 yr old is a little extra clingy with me when he's been at Daddy's overnight (and wanting to make up some nursing time). He's always been slow to warm up to people, even those he sees regularly (like friends at school) and he hasn't needed to warm up with DBF for a while now.

so, any thoughts on this?? Is the Ex right to be concerned that it wouldn't be good for the kids or is he over-reacting like I think he is?

Old 01-19-2008, 11:44 AM
lld

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
Because driving would be treacherous? If it's safe to go, I hope you will! Hot coffee on a snowy day sounds delightful! Alternatively you could go sledding together!
Quote:
I'd buy that if you lived in Chicago or Boulder. Weak excuse! Don't be timid, go for it!
Mmmmm...hot coffee does sound wonderful today. I guess you'd have to live in the south to understand my hesitiation..because we never get snow here no one knows how to drive in it (including me!) I don't have a TV but I would guess that if you were to turn on a TV here today, it would be full coverage of "BLIZZARD '08" and the grocery stores are probably already sold out of bread and milk. Just the mention of snow makes us crazy here. We don't have equpiment to clear any side streets and I would guess that a day in Georgia with an inch of snow has more accidents than Chicago with a foot of snow...I have had one accident in my life...and it was sliding on ice. My big concern is also for my son - I was planning on dropping him off with friends and hate the thought of putting him in the car ...

So...it's almost 9 now and we were supposed to meet at 2 ` guess I'll play it by ear and see what it looks like. If I actually knew this guy (I 'met' him online but have never seen him in person) I would invite him over for coffee...and light a fire...and relax on the couch...and...well, you get the idea
Old 01-19-2008, 12:03 PM

You girls are really making me count my blessings - my sweetheart only lives 9/10ths of a mile away. We have a running joke that he dates me because it's "convenient" (another guy who asked me out but I declined used the word convenient three times in a 20 minute phone conversation - how it would be "convenient" because my house was on his way home from work, and how it would be "convenient" if the roads ever got bad because he could just stay over - can you guess why I never went out with him?!) - but it sure is nice to be convenient with my sweetheart - he stops over almost every morning for hugs and kisses before he goes to work, if we only have a half hour to spend together we never pass it up because of distance, etc. I guess I didn't realize how lucky I was until I started thinking about having to drive an hour away to see the man I love!
Old 01-19-2008, 02:28 PM

I'd KILL for an hour! The guy I'm dating lives over 1000 miles away!
Old 01-19-2008, 03:22 PM

1000 miles? How's that working? My bf lives right next to ds's preschool, so thats nice. Just 5-10 minutes from my house. AND I met him at the Denver airport, so we are lucky that we live in the same town.

I used to live in Atlanta. I know about the snow craziness. But you'll be fine. Just kep your eyes on the road. lol. If you could have seen me last night. I went out with a friend and he spun circles with his car for 10 minutes on the fresh snow that had fallen. And today and it slear and sunny and everything is stunning. I love boulder.
Old 01-19-2008, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whateverdidiwants View Post
I'd KILL for an hour! The guy I'm dating lives over 1000 miles away!
wow, now I'm feeling grateful that my guy is only 60 miles away, lol! Yikes, how do you manage that?? Is he going to move closer or something?? I guess that really forces you to take it slow, huh?

Old 01-19-2008, 04:13 PM

So he made me a delicious dinner. Then we watched movies and did some smootching, but nothing else I'm trying to not jump into anything physically but the smootching was really fun.

And the drive was kinda nice. Went over the Golden Gate Bridge which is just so beautiful at night.

1000 miles??? How does that work

Spring Sun, how did you meet at DIA? Sounds interesting....
Old 01-19-2008, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugMacGee View Post

Yea, I love telling this story . Well, I was taking ds to visit his grandma, and bf was taking his ds to visit his grandpa. We both parked in long term parking, and as I was walking towards the bus (the buses come every minute, how lucky are we!!!) I saw a dad with his child and thought "oh, good, ds will have another child to sit next to on the way to the airport."

So, he offered to help with my baggage, but I said no. Then I went and sat right across from him, thinking he was cute. And I talked with his ds the whole time. Found out he was from Boulder, too. And at one point when I was looking away I could see him staring at me. No ring...but who knows in Boulder? So, we talked the whole time.

And when we got off the bus I realized that I had forgotten the carseat, so I told him that. He was very worried for me. But I said "wait!" and I gave him my card, telling him to call me if he ever wanted to have a "playdate," lol. He called when he got back from his trip, and we had a perfect first date (NOT a playdate) and have been together ever since. How perfect is that? To meet someone like that and be so compatible?
Old 01-19-2008, 04:48 PM

That is a great story! Are your kids around the same age?

I miss Boulder.
Old 01-19-2008, 04:53 PM

Quote:
That is a great story! Are your kids around the same age?

I miss Boulder.
Well, his ds is five and mine will be three in a few weeks. They get along great though. They had a sleepover the other night and had soooo much fun. Here are pics of the two boys and bf.
Old 01-19-2008, 04:58 PM

Mmmmm, nice!
Old 01-19-2008, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

He is sooo nice! I like him, though he didn't hold my hand or make any moves towards me (that is a good thing on a first date) He is cute, definitely not the type of guy I am used to going out with, those guys just didn't work out. I hope he asks me out again

We had a nice breakfast together, then he asked me to a movie, we saw I am Legend, I liked it I just felt comfortable around him though I don't know how he felt about me.

Whatever will be, already is...

Old 01-19-2008, 08:31 PM

Quote:
So he made me a delicious dinner. Then we watched movies and did some smootching, but nothing else I'm trying to not jump into anything physically but the smootching was really fun.

And the drive was kinda nice. Went over the Golden Gate Bridge which is just so beautiful at night.

1000 miles??? How does that work

smooching is awesome! So's a good dinner..and a man who can cook. Is this your first post-separation smooch?

Yay for you BugMacGee!
Old 01-19-2008, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelovedK View Post
He is sooo nice! I like him, though he didn't hold my hand or make any moves towards me (that is a good thing on a first date) He is cute, definitely not the type of guy I am used to going out with, those guys just didn't work out. I hope he asks me out again

We had a nice breakfast together, then he asked me to a movie, we saw I am Legend, I liked it I just felt comfortable around him though I don't know how he felt about me.
Oh yay, BelovedK! Sounds like a new type may be in order. Hopefully he'll be smart enough to know what a catch you are...if not HIS LOSS! I am glad you felt comfortable, that's a great sign.
Old 01-20-2008, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Well, his ds is five and mine will be three in a few weeks. They get along great though. They had a sleepover the other night and had soooo much fun. Here are pics of the two boys and bf.
Pardon me for saying so, but YUUUMMMMYYY! ;-)
Old 01-20-2008, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Oh yay, BelovedK! Sounds like a new type may be in order. Hopefully he'll be smart enough to know what a catch you are...if not HIS LOSS! I am glad you felt comfortable, that's a great sign.
He just emailed me, he wants to see me again

There were no intense fireworks, but it seems like a thing that will heat up once he makes a move towards me. I am hoping to find out

Oh, this morning, another guy emailed me through match. He seems like someone I want to meet. I am not closing myself off until I am definitely in a relationship. I do like R though, I am not good at this sort of thing.

Old 01-20-2008, 01:48 PM

Quote:
smooching is awesome! So's a good dinner..and a man who can cook. Is this your first post-separation smooch?

Yay for you BugMacGee!
Yes, I miss smooching. A man who can cook is priceless!

Quote:
Yes, Beloved, a new "type" may be in order.

Quote:

There were no intense fireworks, but it seems like a thing that will heat up once he makes a move towards me. I am hoping to find out

Oh, this morning, another guy emailed me through match. He seems like someone I want to meet. I am not closing myself off until I am definitely in a relationship. I do like R though, I am not good at this sort of thing.

Great - you must have liked him despite the lack of fireworks, so go with it and see what happens...but keep you options open for sure!
Old 01-20-2008, 03:35 PM

I learned through experience that fireworks can come later and still be spectacular. I started dating my sweetheart at the end of May and I remember telling my friend "He's not 'the one', but it's nice to have a friend I can do things with sometimes." We kept seeing each other, but never even kissed until August - - - and then let me tell you, the fireworks happened! We've been together almost eight months now, and I still smile when he calls me, I still get that funny feeling in my tummy when he gives me "that look", and my toes still curl when we kiss. Not having fireworks on the first date should not worry you at all!

AND I have also completely gone against "my type" with him. My x is 6 foot, 210ish pounds, blonde hair, blue eyes, clean shaved. My sweetheart is 5'2" (he claims!), 150 pounds, dark hair, dark eyes, scruffy face, has a tatoo and a Harley - never would have guessed I'd be dating a guy like him, but I guess "my type" has changed!
Old 01-20-2008, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Awesome! I know you were feeling a little uncertain as to whether the interest was mutual. Nice to know it was! I am happy for you. So what's next?
Old 01-20-2008, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

Well, my puter has to go in 4 repairs (screen going dark) I wont be able to get his lovely morning emails (that cheer me in the AM) I won't be around here either if anyone should need me. I think we are going to see each other this week, I hope so. I have a good feeling, it will be nice to have someone to do things with, and it has been so long for me.

Old 01-25-2008, 02:22 PM

BelovedK I know you're offline, but I am thinking about you and hoping you have had a chance to meet this intriguing new man again. Hope all is good for you!
Old 01-25-2008, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

Well? I am one man closer to meeting someone who will be viable to date

R never called me or emailed me, oh well, his loss. I think he may have felt self conscious or something.

I was contacted y another man from match.com, he seems nice, and we have a date set up for tonight (he asked) welllll...have I heard from him? not a thing. He actually seemed really nice through our communications, his interests jived with mine, the age was right, we were emailing frequently, then once we had a plan, he stops contacting me. I just don't get it.

I DO believe that everything happens for a reason and this guy would've just been a waste of my time, so I am not stressed out by it, it's just, well, jeez.

I am not giving up, I know it is going to happen, but this is really sort of funny, I should write a book.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:13 PM

Oh BelovedK, you have had such a streak of bad luck with men. I am so sorry! Did you contact R after your initial meeting, or did neither of you get in touch afterwards?

Well you certainly have the right attitude. I do have a way of pining after a man who is not interested, but you are so lucky to really *get* it that he wasn't the one for you if he doesn't think he is.

Boy, the universe must be preparing you for something great. Maybe a great man. Maybe a great book! Hang in there mama.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:27 PM

Single 27 yr old mom of four children aged 14 mths -8 1/2 yrs old. Having heck of a time meeting a man willing to accept my children as part of me but not meant to be their responsibility....Any ideas? Feeling very intimidating to men right now....and furthermore intimidated by even approaching them. I am wondering if there will ever be a man who can and will take us for what we are
Old 01-25-2008, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by singlemomof4 View Post
Single 27 yr old mom of four children aged 14 mths -8 1/2 yrs old. Having heck of a time meeting a man willing to accept my children as part of me but not meant to be their responsibility....Any ideas? Feeling very intimidating to men right now....and furthermore intimidated by even approaching them. I am wondering if there will ever be a man who can and will take us for what we are
You'll find him. I have those nagging doubts too, so I can relate.

Well, I am having such horrible luck, and it's about to get worse...I think I'm developing a crush on this incredibly adorable (think Tom Cruise in Jerry Macguire...complete with piercing blue eyes *drool*), super sweet, single dad. I also have been told that he said I'm attractive. The problem??

well...........

He's my boss.

I know, I know...

*sigh*
Old 01-26-2008, 01:07 AM - Thread Starter

Well, he called AND emailed me. it turns out that he didn't get my email until tonight and he thought zi hadn't responded to him. I will give this another chance, he sounds nice and he was sincerely upset that he got my message so late (it was through match, from now on we are doing regular email)

Seriously folks, I deserve a break. It's been one thing after another, I am due for some nice things

User Tag List