Would you go with a 1 or 2 bedroom apt for just you and an 18-mo old? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 01-11-2008, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I meet with the realtor on Tuesday to get the house on the market. I'm hoping to be moved out within 2 months, so I'm starting to look at what my options are for apartments.

My DD is 17 months old... so she'll be about a year and a half when we move. I'm fine with this being a shorter-term home because I'd like to buy another house or move back nearer to family in the long-term anyway. She co-sleeps part of every night but usually starts the night out in the crib. I don't expect to be dating again for at least a million years, so I'm not worried about that either. And the places I'm looking at are mostly 2-3 family houses that would be a 700-900 sq ft apartment with an eat in kitchen and separate dining room, plus additional storage space in the basement.

She'll visit her father probably 2-3 days/evenings a week (although hopefully spend pretty much all nights with me so she can keep nursing)... so I will have some alone time still. But will I really regret not having my *own* room? She's not really at the age where she plays in a room alone yet, you know? I just don't want to regret the decision though.

Robin, strong and happy single mama to Anna (7/06)
"Au milieu de l'hiver, j'ai découvert en moi un invincible été."
#2 of 18 Old 01-11-2008, 07:23 PM

My son is three and we share a room. It works out well for us, I keep all the toys in the living roon, and the bedroom is for clothes and sleeping.
#3 of 18 Old 01-11-2008, 07:53 PM

when you say apartment are you buying a condo?

Even though you probably will share a bedroom I'd get a two just for sanity sake...you know for those things like guests, a sex life, if you had to rent a room out if money got brutally tight or get a nanny you have options with an extra bedroom you do not have with only one.

also a second bedroom would give you more storage options as a house full of stuff usually will not fit easily into an apartment.

8 might be enough
#4 of 18 Old 01-11-2008, 08:03 PM

my ds was 18 months when we moved into the apartment we live in now-- it's a one bedroom and has been fine, mainly because it's pretty spacious. We co- sleep now; if I was to get him his own bed it would just about fit in the bedroom. Sometimes I wish we had an extra room when I get sick of looking at clothes drying next to radiators. There is a big eat- in kitchen here and ds has toys in there and in the living room-- so sometimes he will be at one end of the apartment and me at the other, I think we both have enough space here. The last place I was in was 1 bedroom but much smaller, think it would have been clastrophobic now ds plays independantly .

I guess if I started dating things would be tricky but since there is NO CHANCE of that happening it's not an issue!

Zoe, mamma to Thomas 01~06
#5 of 18 Old 01-11-2008, 08:25 PM

I am not single but I *think* if I were in your position and I could afford the 2 bedroom I would just so I could have some space that is purely mine and then of course leave the door open for the extra space to fulfill some other need. JMO. Good luck!

Kerrie Mama to DD 10 yo, DS 8 yo and DD 5  

#6 of 18 Old 01-11-2008, 09:32 PM

When ds was about 18 months old, we lived in a one bedroom apartment that was tiny, very very small - one small bedroom, tiny bathroom, kitchen and a small living room. We did fine. I ended up making the living room my room too, with a futon that served as a couch during the day and my bed at night.
The toys were kept in the kitchen, ds's room and the living room. It was fine, but definitely small. Then we moved to a two bedroom apartment, which was also very small, but did have two bedrooms and it felt better to have my own space again, and not have to have my desk and my sewing table in the living room. I would say if you think you can afford it get a two bedroom, plus you never know who will come along
#7 of 18 Old 01-11-2008, 10:15 PM

Well, ignoring my sister's space, ds & I have two rooms. The main room is "our" bedroom, and it holds all of our clothes, but no toys. Then I have an office, which holds my TV, my computer area, and storage for ANYTHING else that doesn't fit in the rest of the hosue. And the living room holds ds's toys.

I would get the second room if you can afford it, but I wouldn't necessarily make them "my room" and "baby's room". I'd start out with just one room and evaluate my needs.
#8 of 18 Old 01-11-2008, 10:35 PM

I lived in a 2 bedroom apartment with ds from the time he was 2 until he was 3 years (and 4 months). So a little over a year. The only time we used the other bedroom was for his therapy room. Had he not needed all of his therapy stuff, we wouldn't have needed that room.

As far as the whole sex thing goes.... didn't happen. LOL.

Before we moved into the apartment we lived with my dad. DS and I shared a room then. When we moved out of the apartment we moved back in with my dad for a few months (and shared the same room). Now we are living in Kentucky, with seperate bedrooms.

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#9 of 18 Old 01-11-2008, 11:30 PM

I've lived in a one-bedroom with my daughter since we moved out, just the two of us, when she was 8 months old. She's 28 months now. I like and am used to small spaces, so YMMV, but I have no issues whatsoever with just one bedroom.

Through the toddler age, you'll have to be a little more creative with baby-proofing, and it's a good idea to make sure any apt. has decent closet space, especially a one-bedroom. But I love it. She has the run of the place, she plays and I can do whatever and we're always nearby within earshot if not eyesight. We do co-sleep.

It works for us.
#10 of 18 Old 01-11-2008, 11:55 PM

My daughter and I moved into a semi spacious one bedroom on her second birthday. We were there for a year and loved it. By the end of the year though I had turned the dining room into the living room and the living room into my bedroom - during that time we also weaned and transitioned from co sleeping to separate beds. Now that she is 4 there is no way that I would go with less than 2 bedrooms but back then it was fine.
#11 of 18 Old 01-12-2008, 05:14 AM

another advantage of 2 bedrooms is that if you have too noisy neighbors adjacent to one bedroom you can go sleep in the other bedroom, also works if one of your neighbors complains about noise you make.
#12 of 18 Old 01-12-2008, 10:39 AM

How much stuff do you have? How good are you about being organized, putting everything back in its place? If you're really good, baby proofing a small place should be fine. If you're more lax, it might be nice to be able to be able to shut the door on a room that has your non toddler-friendly stuff in it.

Are you buying or renting? If you're buying, and can afford it, I'd go 2 bedroom. If you're renting, and you willing to move in a year or 2 when the lease is up, go smaller. Moving is a drag too, though.

How big an issue is the cost difference? If money's no object, go for 2 bedrooms. If it's a big issue, make one bedroom work. If the extra money would be nice, but not totally necessary, weigh other factors...

Good luck!
#13 of 18 Old 01-12-2008, 10:45 AM

Being nosey. I would go with more rooms if you can afford it...simply because more rooms mean more space and thats just an extra room to put stuff in - even if you want to make it an office/computer room etc - its always handy to have!

Mummy me : > Thats Ann! and my beautiful SONS Duncanand Hamish 19/09/05 & 22/04/10!
#14 of 18 Old 01-12-2008, 11:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would probably rent the one BD and save the extra money for the house I really wanted. When my oldest was that age, we rented a room in a shared house, and that was fine. It seems like the only private time I have ever had away from my kids was when they were asleep or someone else was watching them. Right now I have my own "room" and it's just a storage facility!

Mama to: Asterbanana.gif ,          Augustblueman.gif,              Emmett:nut.gif,              Ruthie: kiss.gif

Step mom to Malakiesuperhero.gif, Cameron af.gif, and Aurelia partytime.gif
#15 of 18 Old 01-13-2008, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurobin View Post
I meet with the realtor on Tuesday to get the house on the market. I'm hoping to be moved out within 2 months, so I'm starting to look at what my options are for apartments.

My DD is 17 months old... so she'll be about a year and a half when we move. I'm fine with this being a shorter-term home because I'd like to buy another house or move back nearer to family in the long-term anyway. She co-sleeps part of every night but usually starts the night out in the crib. I don't expect to be dating again for at least a million years, so I'm not worried about that either. And the places I'm looking at are mostly 2-3 family houses that would be a 700-900 sq ft apartment with an eat in kitchen and separate dining room, plus additional storage space in the basement.

She'll visit her father probably 2-3 days/evenings a week (although hopefully spend pretty much all nights with me so she can keep nursing)... so I will have some alone time still. But will I really regret not having my *own* room? She's not really at the age where she plays in a room alone yet, you know? I just don't want to regret the decision though.
I have a 19 mo old son, and right now I live between my Boyfriends one bedroom condo and my Grandma's very small two bedroom house, they are both about the same square footage, although I do believe the condo might actually be bigger. Either way in both places I share a room with my son. I really dont mind, but I think that it would be nice if I did have an extra room. Either so that my son could have a playroom where I could put all his toys and stuff or so that I could have an office where I could put the computer and all my school books, scrap booking things and whatever; that way I could have a private place to do my homework without my son bugging me every two secs. I actually prefer to share a room with my son, although there are times I wish I didn't. I would say if you want your own space for even like on office or a quick get away, and can afford two bedrooms if not a one bedroom is nice and its easy to make it work.

Brandy; Mother to Aspen (7/1996) and Ky (5/2006) and partner to Ryan

#16 of 18 Old 01-14-2008, 02:44 AM

I'd say, if you plan on making it fairly short term; go with a one bedroom. That way, you can save more money for when you move to your house near your family. When you make a move that's more 'permanent' (as in, you plan to be there for several years and beyond); then get a two or three bedroom...plan for the future.

Plus, if you're co-sleeping anyways, there's really no need for a second room. (unless you think you might go broke, in which case, being able to rent out the other room to a student or something may come in handy). It's totally dependant on your situation financially!

WARNING: The comments and opinions expressed above do not necessarily reflect those of the community in which I reside; or those of the internet parenting network.
#17 of 18 Old 01-14-2008, 04:15 AM

Looks like you have plenty of answers, but here's mine. If I only had one child, I would go for the 2 bedroom if I could afford it. While you might use it for your child's toy room ect, it does give you a chance to live there longer if you decide it fits your needs. Otherwise, you would be having to move around the time your child is 4 or 5. It is best to give your child the option to sleep in another room if they decide to also...again if you can afford the second bedroom. I liked all the other reasons why others suggested a second bedroom, especially with hope of a sex life!!!

Good luck. I don't think you would ever regret getting a second bedroom!

Vegetarian Hindu, mother to L,P and R. 
#18 of 18 Old 01-18-2008, 06:21 AM

I've been living in my 1br apt. since I was 8months pregnant. My son is now 11months old. I just turned my living room into my room. In a few years I'll be in a better place financially and will move.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page