Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

#31 of 37 Old 12-07-2010, 09:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by savsbe View Post

I know that the laws vary from state to state, i am in Virginia, as for getting him to voluntarily terminate his parental rights, a lawyer is not needed!!! you simply pay to file a petition with the court, the clerk is usually a notary and there is a notary at every courthouse i've ever been to. Some states you need someone there to take the place but BE CAREFUL. you could end up in my shoes.... my sons biodad gave up his rights, we just went into court and said we agreed, my new husband was there saying he wanted to adopt... my court paper simply said, father agrees to terminate his parental rights so stepfather can proceed with adoption, custody given to mother and stepfather.... well as soon as biodads rights were terminated the true intentions of my husband came to fruit. He had no intention of adopting him, he did Not want to be financially responsible if things didn't work out, he just wanted biodad out of my life for good. Now after 5 years of marriage and 1 1/2 years of seperation i would like to file for custody of my two daughters of this marriage and possibly a divorce.... and as a stay at home mom and student, a little child support for my now 7 year old son, would be great, but he has no father that is legally responsible to support him. Lovely

Rachel

Have you consulted a lawyer? My dh is stepfather to my oldest son and under provincial laws here would financially responsibly for him should we separate.

Kelly - Children's Restraint Technician Instructor - Mom to my December boys
#32 of 37 Old 01-03-2011, 07:06 AM

Hello. I am sorry your ex is a bad mom. If you know these things are happening to your child, then you need to do something. I would think your local social services department would be able to help. They are there to look into these type of things. Ask them to pay a surprise visit to your ex, to check on your child when you can not be there. But the thing of this is, once social services gets involved she might pretend to change her ways. Maybe talk to her friends, or neighbors and tell them your concerns. I know that would mean getting involved in your ex's life, but when it comes to your child nothing else matters. I dunno all your situation, with money or what not. But as I was typing this, maybe getting some sort of proof before you talk to her friends or neighbors. If you have money, i would hire a P.I, to see what she is doing with the money that is suppose to be for food. It sounds like maybe there is something else going on with her, drugs or alcohol.

#33 of 37 Old 01-04-2011, 04:54 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

wow this is an old thread that keeps getting brought to life. WOW!!!

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#34 of 37 Old 02-08-2011, 05:17 AM

I know my husband is wanting to sign over his rights to a child that he has never seen. The bad part is that he didn't sign the birth cert. By a long time back the mother filed for childsupprt and they didn't serve us they sent the papers to his dad's house. My husband doesn't have a relationship with his father. We do not pay child support but the state had his name put of the birth cert. The mother wants us to sign over. I know we are having a hard time.

#35 of 37 Old 02-08-2011, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Termenating parental rights does not necessarily mean he will be able to escape child support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liaglynnn View Post

After 5 years, 4 moves, 3 court hearings, and $30,000 my husband and I are seriously considering this option. We are at our wits ends with his ex-wife. The woman will NOT let him talk to or see his two children. We have gone to court 3 times and even filed many times with the local police department. His ex-wife even told his children that their father, (my husband) was dead from a car accident. She harressed us and I had to get a stalking order against her for trying to burn my house down 2 years ago. She is mad that he has me and my children now.

Every 6 months his ex-wife takes him to court for a higher child support check but refuses to let him see his children. He is now paying $1,000 a month and hasn't had any contact with them for 4 years. The last time he did see his child, he saw them at a local Wal-mart b4 she grabbed the girls and ran out the door.

I don't know what else to do. We have been married for 5 years now and have 2 children together. She is getting 50% of his salary. He is paying so much and not even allowed to see them.

Any advice would be appreciated. We can't afford an attorney. The last one was $8,500 and nothing happened. She refuses to let him see the girls! Pls help.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#36 of 37 Old 02-10-2011, 08:08 AM

Just as a head's up...10 out of the 35 posts on an inflammatory subject are from first time posters (see other thread on same subject matter in the blended fourm). 

Just saying.

#37 of 37 Old 02-10-2011, 08:45 AM

I locked this thread because it's a really old thread that accidently got brought back up.  I think it's because there was a mix-up with the thread (same title) that is currently in the blended and step-families forum found here:

http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1295415/voluntary-termination-of-parental-rights/140

Thanks for your understanding.

Lisa

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page