Best Jobs for single moms. - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-25-2008, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thank You much!
I am researching all suggestions. keep em coming!
I should Ask : what trade should I get trained in ???

Since that is the real question here, I want a trade, a certificate a "degree" in something... lol Anything dagumit!
Im sick of being poor... As it os my Ex is a crazy man but he will writ eme a check to a trade school. so I feel I need to take it and RUUUUUnnn with it as asap!
Help me mamas

ELY -Mommy to many

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2008, 04:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would go for whatever is the most stable long term.

If you know someone who can get you an "in" with a federal or state job, that would be my first pick...(examples, DMV, Board of Education, office jobs at the legislature, whatever, board of water supply, land and resources, prisons, jails, social services anything...there is tons of stuff - just ask around, be creative and do lots of searching, also if you live near a military base search for civilian jobs.) I know the federal tax buildings usually have lots of openings for mail room shifts right now because it is tax season. That is a good in. If you can get in, you'll be set, excellent hours, sometimes on site childcare, pension, retirement, benefits, ect.

2nd pick would be working at a bank. My sister did this and at 21, already owns her own home and they are paying for her to get her business degree. She had no previous experience. It is stable, pay is good, burnout low and lots of room to grow.

3rd pick would be some sort of healthcare training. I think there is a high burnout rate with this, and the pay isn't always as good as they say - and private school can be EXPENSIVE. But, there is lots of opportunity and if you go through a community college you probably will get grants to pay for everything. Even privately, you may get everything covered through grants and financial aid. Top picks for those would be:

1. Surgical tech (training is usually 18 months, pay is around $20 an hour or more.)
2. Dental asst. (training varies, as does pay, here they start around $12, but experienced ones make around $20)
3. Ultrasound, radiological tech - 2 yr degree. Pay is around 50-60k a year
4. Respiratory Therapist, or tech, - 2yr degree, pay is as above

5. Nursing will be your best bet in the healthcare field, but training is usually rigorous and competitive.

I wouldn't suggest something like cosmetologist, massage therapy, or home daycare. (I have done all three) The pay is *ok*, but the burnout rate and injury rate are REALLY high - meaning it will happen eventually. Also you won't have insurance or benefits, you'll usually be a private contractor, which just sucks when you aren't making a good amount of money and are a sole provider. HTH's.

You can also do a search here to find out about job outlooks, median earnings and job basics in your area - www.bls.gov. The site is kinda hard to navigate, so if you need help, pm me with your area and I'll help you look it up. HTHs.
Old 02-25-2008, 05:43 PM

Well, this is something you truly have to love to do, but I teach yoga. I specialized my area (prenatal) and basically can teach two classes a week and with child support can support myself and my Dds. Without child support, I would have to teach three classes, maybe four. I'm gone a total of 2 hours for each class. So teaching 6 hours a week for full-time support is what I consider really fortunate. I love what I do though. I'm also working on being a therapist so I can have two income streams to depend on vs. one.

You might check out Barbara Winter's website and books about being self-employed and making it work. She's the one who got me all started on this path.

Granted those are long-term dreams, but maybe they're less long-term than you think?
Old 02-25-2008, 08:10 PM

Best jobs for single moms. Article on forbes.com

One gorgeous solstice babe 12/08, two smitten mothers - mothering consciously with conscience and compassion. Birth & Postnatal Doula. Student Midwife. Expecting #2 November '12.

Old 02-26-2008, 01:11 AM

When I found myself suddenly having to care for my two kids, I became a housecleaner. Self-employed. I have a great enviro-friendly product and advice supplier (I pay for the products, but the advice is FREE). I love it. I can (and do) color my hair everything from green to orange to pink, or I shave it off. I have stretched earlobes and tattoos. And I run my own business! Practically no inventory, super-low overhead, and I make sure that I only take jobs where my kids (should they get sick) are welcome. Now, about 5 years later, I even have an employee.
It's not rocket science, but you do have to be a bit of a self-starter. If you're interested, PM me and I can give you the URL for the place where I get my supplies (they also have a book called "The Complete Guide to Success in the Housecleaning Business", as well as an incredibly boring, yet thorough, training video!)
Old 02-26-2008, 01:17 AM

Have you considered working in a school system? If you don't want to teach, there are many administrative jobs. The Benefits are great and while you may not have the whole summer off, you usually do have plenty of time off.
Old 02-26-2008, 02:39 AM

:

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

Old 02-26-2008, 03:39 AM - Thread Starter

Wow
I am so happy to have found this board.
can I just say I Love you all lol
I am taking all this in and reading up on it all. Absolutely great advice. I have been LOST for the past year and a half. I was a SAHM for a decade. minivan driving room mother carpooling.. you get the gist. Oh yeah and I nursed a incredible shopping habit as well. I earned not a cent. Just shopped and spent. When it was all said and done, it turned out I didnt even know exactly where that money came from. To say the least, I have not been equipped to care for the family after dh took off with a stripper.
Finally I have found this place to talk to moms with practical advice.
Thanks!!!

K off to research... thank you very much mommas.
~ Elyice

ELY -Mommy to many

Old 02-26-2008, 03:50 AM

I want to second the bartending votes.

I've made more bartending than I did with my professional degree. It's fun, it's a night job, so you can spend time with your kids during the day, and you leave with cash in hand. It doesn't require tons of training, and there are always positions available.

I also like it because your income depends on you - no matter how hard you work at some jobs, you'll still only be making X an hour. With bartending, you could easily work 6 hours and leave with $250 cash - especially on weekends. Then you get a paycheck a week or two later.

You don't have to work in a frat bar either. There are some very nice upscale restaurants & hotels that have bars where it's not a meathouse.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:48 AM

Small business owner:

Doggie Grooming Salon

Baby clothes/baby gear Consignment shop

DVD rental place

Coffee shop/Tea house/alternative nighttime music venue

Kid friendly Bakery/Coffee shop hangout shop

Liora. Best way to reach me is FACEBOOK, search for "LioraP2". Jewish and Frum In Beijing, Mom of Three (mother of 3: #1 was vaccine injured at age 2m later dx with PDD-NOS, healed in 3 years with biomed. #2 unvaxed and healthy boy. #3 unvaxed amazing girl with Down syndrome using Targeted Nutritional Intervention (TNI) since infancy)
Old 02-26-2008, 08:49 AM

And not to burst anyone's bubble but be careful with the medical field.

In Australia and other places, nurses and some other medical staff are required to get VACCINATED.

Liora. Best way to reach me is FACEBOOK, search for "LioraP2". Jewish and Frum In Beijing, Mom of Three (mother of 3: #1 was vaccine injured at age 2m later dx with PDD-NOS, healed in 3 years with biomed. #2 unvaxed and healthy boy. #3 unvaxed amazing girl with Down syndrome using Targeted Nutritional Intervention (TNI) since infancy)
Old 02-26-2008, 10:57 AM

Merchandising is another good job where you don't need a ton of skills (no degree required) and is pretty flexible depending on the company you work for. Demoing is another job you can do on the weekends. (Demos are those people that set up a table or booth and hand out samples or product info in stores.) You can go to narms.com and search the job bank for your state.

Equuskia in with Nodtveidt DD1 : DD2 :
Old 02-26-2008, 12:31 PM

I just looked up the ultrasound tech program at my local community college, and discovered that at least here they require that you complete the radiography program first. That in turn requires that you complete a mile of other college courses including BIO, CHEM, Physics, Algebra, English etc. So it looks like I will be sticking with my part time tax job and business courses for now. I found Tax Prep to be an effective stop-gap for me. the course was only a few weeks and only cost $90. At least it is full time work for three months of the year and I was lucky to find a year round position with the company. The hours are flexible and it is close to home. Good Luck
Old 02-26-2008, 12:32 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I'm a waitress.

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

Old 02-26-2008, 04:28 PM

Well I think there is a lot to be said for academia as a place of employment. In general there are good benefits, often there is tuition assistance for you and / or your dependents, many places have onsite childcare, there is often a recreation center, etc. etc. If you don't have a lot of skills there are often lower level jobs like food service, cleaning, etc. -- though sadly a lot of those kinds of positions are being contracted out to outsourcing companies that don't give employees the same benefits.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:16 PM

if you already have a bachelor's, i would advise taking the 36 or so credits needed to get a master's in library science. there are always jobs open for librarians and i am not just saying that because it's my field. :

Former dreads.gifwearing, treehugger.gifing, pole dancing, read.gifpushing, ribbonpurple.gifsurvivor & single mama extraordinaire to energy.gif.  

Now that's a mouthful!!! computergeek2.gif & follow it!   

Old 02-26-2008, 09:38 PM

subbing

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
Old 02-28-2008, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

no BA here. i am uneducated. Stayed home since I was 19 and trusted Jackasss to take care of us all. Dumb move on my part. lol
I have 5 classes to go to get a AA.. I just need money now.
Im going to look into waitressing too, thanks gals~

ELY -Mommy to many

Old 02-28-2008, 05:51 PM

Sorry to hijack the thread but hkitty, how did you get started teaching yoga? I would LOVE to do that!!
Old 03-18-2008, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkitty View Post
Well, this is something you truly have to love to do, but I teach yoga. I specialized my area (prenatal) and basically can teach two classes a week and with child support can support myself and my Dds. Without child support, I would have to teach three classes, maybe four. I'm gone a total of 2 hours for each class. So teaching 6 hours a week for full-time support is what I consider really fortunate. I love what I do though. I'm also working on being a therapist so I can have two income streams to depend on vs. one.

You might check out Barbara Winter's website and books about being self-employed and making it work. She's the one who got me all started on this path.

Granted those are long-term dreams, but maybe they're less long-term than you think?
This is very interesting! Any advice for those of us interested in teaching yoga? I have considered it for part-time money while I am in school. (And maybe longer since Mama41 shared with me that teaching K12 is not the best day job,lol!)

Also if not too personal a question, what is the pay range per class? Are certain forms of yoga higher paying than others? Is it stressful.... what should one look for in a teacher training program? I know Yoga Works was once respected for teacher training but some things had led me to wonder if that has changed.

I know that is a ton of questions but I am soooo interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Worm View Post
Sorry to hijack the thread but hkitty, how did you get started teaching yoga? I would LOVE to do that!!
:

"There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth; not going all the way and not starting." - Buddha.
Old 03-18-2008, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattyCakes_726 View Post
Have you considered working in a school system? If you don't want to teach, there are many administrative jobs. The Benefits are great and while you may not have the whole summer off, you usually do have plenty of time off.
:

I have my BSW but didn't want to work in social work anymore. I am a special ed teaching assistant and Make a bit over $10/hr. Benefits are good. I get all the same holidays off as my kids who are both school age. My youngest spends about 1 1/2 hrs in daycare in the afternoons and that's it. So it has given me a ton of time to spend with my boys. As far as training goes I imagine it will vary by state. In AZ you either have to have an AA degreee or you can just have a high school diploma or GED and you have to pass a parapro test. I didn't have to take the test so I couldn't tell you what it involves but people I know have said it wasn't too bad.
For single mamas who have school age kids this is definitely the way to go. Most districts will give paid holidays ( I got two paid weeks for christmas, one paid week for spring break, and other paid odds and ends holidays like veterans day and whatnot). I also signed up for a program where they withhold a certain amount from each check and at the end of the school year they cut me a large check to see me through the summer. Other positions are available for the same program but instead of the large check at the end of the school year they just pay you throughout the summer so you can continue to get paid even when you aren't working.

M : proud mama to B (16) : and G (8) and : x 2 :
Old 03-18-2008, 08:24 PM

Also phone entertainment is a big way to bring in good money. I'm just sayin'...

Former dreads.gifwearing, treehugger.gifing, pole dancing, read.gifpushing, ribbonpurple.gifsurvivor & single mama extraordinaire to energy.gif.  

Now that's a mouthful!!! computergeek2.gif & follow it!   

Old 03-19-2008, 01:20 AM

The best way to get started teaching yoga is to find someplace to let you teach it! Just start and try to find the type that you really love to teach. Then try to get some training, any training. I did a week long intensive program that I found so helpful and also allowed me to say that I had "certification." Then a lot of health clubs will let you in once you have some kind of piece of paper they can file away.

What you make is highly, highly dependent on your area, what type of class you're teaching, your arragement with the studio, etc. I started out teaching at a community center through they city and they took 25% and gave me 75%. But they were a huge PITA to deal with. So then I moved to a yoga studio and paid rent for studio time. A lot of beginning instructors are afraid to do that but it really it to your advantage. Once you have in the number of students that pay the rent, the rest is yours. The studio closed b/c of renonvations, so I moved to a ballet studio and have been there for 3 or 4 years now.

I would highly suggest to do your own marketing and develop your own name regardless of where you're teaching. This is what saved me and continues to make my classes successful. I only teach prenatal and market to OBs and midwives in my area. Consistent marketing is the key. It doesn't even have to be beautiful or "good" but if they regularly get something from you, then they'll know you're serious and aren't going to disappear and will give referrals.

There's a whole literature out there about working for yourself. One of the most helpful books I read was Barbara Winter's Making a Living without a Job. She also has a free email newsletter.

Hope this helps some. If you want more specifics, I'll be happy to give them. Just PM me!
Old 03-19-2008, 01:27 AM

Oh - and I don't find it stressful at all. It actually brings me real peace to teach and I truly get energized by it. I love it.

In terms of what to look for in training, it depends what style you like.

Actual numbers would depend on what kind of rent is in your area and going rates. But just call some studios or ballet studios and ask what they rent the space for. Then do the calculations. How many students at $xx/class would you need to cover it? Then how many more would you need to *make* money? You don't have many expenses beyond rent - some for marketing (about $100 every 6 months + gifts if you want to give them for referrals), some for insurance ($200 per year or so), some for website, etc.
Old 03-19-2008, 01:31 AM

I teach yoga and work in a nursing home doing physical therapy.
Both required lots of training...that being said...neither are great for single mammas as far as I've experienced so far.

Healthcare requires unpredictable hours, vaccinations (which i have so far skirted around) and uses all of my energy.

Yoga is something that I LOVE with all of my being. I've been doing it for about 10 years and teaching for about 2 formally and 3 informally. In order to make a living teaching yoga I have found that unless you are in a major city centre you need to teach when people are not working...evenings. With my four year old, I have a very hard time finding someone to watch her during these times. It really is impractical to bring her to class. I have, but it doesn't always work.

Balance...

but, just sharing my ever so pesimistic thoughts (gosh...so unlike me)

earth honouring, tree hugging, yogi mamma to dd - my forest faerie (Feb/04) and ds - our new little bean born peacefully at home (01/02/11)

Old 03-19-2008, 01:55 AM

I have taken a few parent-child classes. Depending on your children and area, especially if you are anywhere near me I would definitely attend with my dds.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:09 AM

I'm a house cleaner. I also work part time assisting and sometimes facilitating a parent-child mother goose program.

I like cleaning as it pays well eonugh to do only ppart time. Altho all my regular clients are moving away, so I may actualy have to advertise now...

I do find it physically demanding. It's rough, if I hurt my back or something, I still have to work. I like the moeny, but question how long I can keep it up physically. (I'm not 21 anymore).

So I am also looking into going back to school when my daughter is in school. That'll be awhile though, she's only 2.5 now.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:20 AM

Party plan businesses can work well for lots of mamas. Granted, it will not provide the equivalent of a full time income (at least not right away ) but it can add up to a good amount. That with whatever help you can get from your state, etc (I'm in Canada) can be enough to get by while the children are still young and give you time to spend with them, since most parties/demonstrations are in the evening). Just another option... that's been working for me!
Old 03-19-2008, 11:55 AM

I'm hoping to start painting soon. I used to be an active artist (sold out during my art show openings). Haven't painted in years but it's time to get back to it. Especially now that I live in an area where original art is priced high.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

Old 03-19-2008, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstwomantomars View Post
Party plan businesses can work well for lots of mamas. Granted, it will not provide the equivalent of a full time income (at least not right away ) but it can add up to a good amount.
I'm living proof of that.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

User Tag List