Best Jobs for single moms. - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 121 Old 03-19-2008, 04:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Mama Jama View Post
Also phone entertainment is a big way to bring in good money. I'm just sayin'...

The thought has crossed my mind more than once. ALthough I am not terrible certain I could do that without snickering and laughing, but it is a lucrative option. How exactly though would one pursue that occupation? Just curious, lol!!!

M : proud mama to B (16) : and G (8) and : x 2 :
#62 of 121 Old 03-25-2008, 04:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelcat View Post
I'm a house cleaner. I also work part time assisting and sometimes facilitating a parent-child mother goose program.

I like cleaning as it pays well eonugh to do only ppart time. Altho all my regular clients are moving away, so I may actualy have to advertise now...
How did you get started with this? Any tips?

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#63 of 121 Old 03-25-2008, 11:21 PM

I've just enrolled in school to become a rad tech student thanks to this thread!
#64 of 121 Old 04-01-2008, 02:54 AM

Just wanted to throw this out there, I work graveyards at a small hotel front desk, i can sleep usually 5-6 hours a night. This of course depends on how supportive your ex is, mine takes the kids every night. I am looking into getting a different job now though, and wanted to throw this out there too, whole foods has great benefits and pay is decent. Good luck!
#65 of 121 Old 04-01-2008, 09:25 PM

I'm a web designer / developer. I taught my self to write code in about 6 months only studying and practicing while my dd was napping and at night. I already had a background in print graphic design but if you happen to be kind of geeky and think programming is something you might like I highly suggest it. Great pay and LOTS of opportunities. Community colleges offer loads of classes. XHTML / CSS, PHP, JAVA, or MYSQL / Apache are all in high demand.

I've also made good money being a nanny and a waitress.
#66 of 121 Old 04-13-2008, 03:55 AM

bump for emily!

"There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth; not going all the way and not starting." - Buddha.
#67 of 121 Old 04-13-2008, 07:34 PM

subbing to this thread.

I like what I'm doing now but will need a full time, steady income once my son is in 1st grade.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#68 of 121 Old 05-07-2008, 03:20 PM

Since there is a good thread going on single mamas & college I also wanted to bump this thread as a jumping off point for practical career ideas for single mamas.

Please add any good careers for single mamas!

"There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth; not going all the way and not starting." - Buddha.
#69 of 121 Old 05-07-2008, 03:33 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I am in elementary school teacher. Scheduling, vacations and, believe it or not, even salary (where I live) is wonderful. I am truly blessed.

BUT...it is a job that you need to have an internal passion/drive for. And not just a passion for children. It is an emotionally/physically exhausting job with very little "instant" gratification or appreciation.
#70 of 121 Old 05-07-2008, 06:33 PM

As food for thought US News has a couple great articles:

Best Careers 2008
http://www.usnews.com/features/busin...eers-2008.html

The Most Overrated Careers
http://www.usnews.com/articles/busin...d-careers.html

Career Chemistry: The Best Jobs for Six Personality Types
http://www.usnews.com/usnews/biztech...eers.intro.htm

While these articles are not directly aimed at single mamas I think they are worth looking at if you are career searching.

#71 of 121 Old 05-08-2008, 03:40 PM

One of my friends is starting a landscaping business. We live in South Florida so landscaping is BIG here. I think she has a huge advantage considering it will be female owned and run. And single mom owned and run! She ultimately wants to niche market a butterfly gardening type of biz. She'll go in and help set it up, maintain it (or give info.), etc. Both of these ideas came from her love of plants. She wanted to get a degree in forestry but would have had to move to do that which isn't an option. Her Ex lives here and will never move since he also owns a business here.

Eventually this will be a good business that could really support her. As with anything just getting off the ground, right now she's doing a lot of grunt work in the hot, hot sun.
#72 of 121 Old 05-09-2008, 05:36 AM

I'm married but I got the job I have now purely to prepare for if/when dh and I divorce. He wanted me to take something else that paid about $20,000 more a year but that would have been a day job with a changing shift, not viable if we are to split.

I work in retail, overnight. It is ok money, it will be more in a few months when I can apply for the next position up. It pays enough so that if I were actually caught up on my bills I could pay my bills and buy food with some extra money. While I'm gone, the children sleep. If needed I can get my sister to spend the night at my house to watch the kids or if dh decides to not be a jerk about everything, the kids can spend the nights with him and days with me. They'd likely go over a couple hours before needed so that they could get some quality time with him before having to go to sleep.

Mama to two boys and a girl.
#73 of 121 Old 05-09-2008, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muttix2 View Post
I'm married but I got the job I have now purely to prepare for if/when dh and I divorce. He wanted me to take something else that paid about $20,000 more a year but that would have been a day job with a changing shift, not viable if we are to split.

I work in retail, overnight. It is ok money, it will be more in a few months when I can apply for the next position up. It pays enough so that if I were actually caught up on my bills I could pay my bills and buy food with some extra money. While I'm gone, the children sleep. If needed I can get my sister to spend the night at my house to watch the kids or if dh decides to not be a jerk about everything, the kids can spend the nights with him and days with me. They'd likely go over a couple hours before needed so that they could get some quality time with him before having to go to sleep.
I always wondered how people function during the day and take care of kids when theyve worked all night?

DS 5-11-06
#74 of 121 Old 08-04-2008, 03:05 AM

Can this thread be a sticky??

#75 of 121 Old 08-04-2008, 09:41 AM

My job as professor has turned out to work out well from a single parent point of view, but I know that is not something you can train for in a few months. And honestly that wouldn't have been true in the pre-tenure days. Anyways.....

Working Mom magazine has a list of 10 ten companies to work for. A different perspective - sometimes the company is what matters most.

http://www.workingmother.com/web?service=vpage/859
#76 of 121 Old 08-04-2008, 02:51 PM

After a long process (in my head) I've decided to pursue nursing. I got accepted to nursing school twice, and had to turn it down twice because I couldn't afford to quit work. Now I can't afford NOT to do it.

As the population ages, nurses are going to be in bigger demand. In fact, I don't think the demand for nurses is ever going to go away.

I'm taking my RN/BSN academic pre-reqs online from the local community college and getting them out of the way so I can go straight into nursing classes and clinicals and not have those extra classes taking up my time.

I honestly believe ANY healthcare field is the best thing for any single mother to get into. For a relatively short training period, the pay is very rewarding.

For LPN programs you can generally go 1 year, and they aren't as demanding as RN programs right off the bat. I personally wouldn't be a CNA, because they get all the shit work (literally!). If you are an LPN, you can fast track to RN while working and getting some experience under your belt.

Everyone I know in healthcare recommends a private practice or a nursing home for jobs. The pay and hours seem to be better, and there isn't as much BS to put up with.

My plan is to do RN, work and get some experience, preferably in maternal/infant nursing and then get my BSN a little at a time. The ultimate goal is to become a CNM or FNP.

I'm too old and have too much on my plate to go to Medical School and this is something I can do a piece at a time and still serve the community as a health practitioner while I'm fulfilling my educational goals. I also have an HR background to build on, but I don't know if that will benefit me in the long run or not. For now it just pays the bills (barely).

Jobs that are always in demand in this area seem to be:

-Respiratory Therapist
-Ultrasound Tech
-Dental Hygenist
-Nurses, especially RN's
#77 of 121 Old 08-04-2008, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nataliachick7 View Post
I always wondered how people function during the day and take care of kids when theyve worked all night?
It isn't easy or fun, but it can be done.
#78 of 121 Old 08-04-2008, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkitty View Post
One of my friends is starting a landscaping business. We live in South Florida so landscaping is BIG here. I think she has a huge advantage considering it will be female owned and run. And single mom owned and run! She ultimately wants to niche market a butterfly gardening type of biz. She'll go in and help set it up, maintain it (or give info.), etc. Both of these ideas came from her love of plants. She wanted to get a degree in forestry but would have had to move to do that which isn't an option. Her Ex lives here and will never move since he also owns a business here.

Eventually this will be a good business that could really support her. As with anything just getting off the ground, right now she's doing a lot of grunt work in the hot, hot sun.
Yep. Landscaping has been a booming business for the past few years. Unfortunately, it's a luxury for a lot of people, and luxuries are the first things to go out the window when the economy gets tight.

I was in her shoes a couple of years ago. I love plants and everything about them, even managed a commercial greenhouse for a while. I decided that starting a landscaping biz would be a mistake for me personally.

I wish her much luck, tempered with a healthy dose of caution! I just can't see starting a business right now until things settle down a bit.
#79 of 121 Old 10-14-2008, 07:03 PM

bumping this also for rosadesal! It really should be a sticky!

#80 of 121 Old 10-14-2008, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferH View Post
-Ultrasound Tech
I just had an ultrasound last week and the tech was saying how it's a great job to have. She said that imaging techs are always in demand.

#81 of 121 Old 10-15-2008, 12:16 PM

I do web development and tech support. Work at home, flexible hours, good pay, no degree. I think it's rather perfect!!
#82 of 121 Old 10-15-2008, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotmom View Post
Please share your ideas on the best jobs for single moms~

I cannot seem t o support my family, I had been a SAHM for many years, now I have 3 kids to myself. I dont want to have to rely on anyone - including Ex. I want to learn a trade to be self sufficient. I have the opportunity to take a FEW months to try to get licensed in something that I can get a job in, maybe a CNA or the like. What could I DO? What jobs are out there that require just a little training. I am broke and jobless at the time, I'm getting down.
thanks
Ive worked as an EMT for almost 8 years now..the course is 4 months long and usually 2 nights a week...I just enrolled at the Univeristy of Phoenix online and started classes monday for an assoc. in health care admin. which will lead to a bachelors in nursing..eventually my goal is to become a nurse midwife..so a dual major of nursing and midwifery is my plan and its all online!
#83 of 121 Old 10-15-2008, 03:02 PM

what about medical transcription?? i've been thinking of doing this at home until my youngest is in school........anybody doing this??

solo-student-mama to 3 crazy kiddos
#84 of 121 Old 10-15-2008, 04:44 PM

I'd be interested in tech support. But I'd need to know more about computers first.

#85 of 121 Old 10-15-2008, 09:20 PM

This is a fabulous thread...my wheels are turning. I'm married (at the moment), but will be leaving dh soon, and have had the same dilemma - find high-paying work? Night jobs? Short term training/trade school? Go for the long haul and get a BA? Work at Home? I'm so lost and overwhelmed...Luckily, I do have experience in the Assisted Living/Alzheimer's Care/ Med tech stuff, so I could always "find" a job easily, but the mandatory overtime drove me crazy when I didn't have kids. Plus the pay is crappy - its only about $8/hour. So it would nowhere NEAR support us if I only did part time.

Anyway, thanks for all these great ideas. I'm sure I will use them!
#86 of 121 Old 10-16-2008, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by attachedmomto3 View Post
what about medical transcription?? i've been thinking of doing this at home until my youngest is in school........anybody doing this??
If you go through a reputable school to get trained, it is a possibility. However, it can be a very difficult way to make a living and many of the companies are less than reputable. It's also difficult to get benefits. I make less now with MT than I did 15 yrs ago due to industry changes (outsourcing to other countries has really cut into profit margins and in-house jobs are almost nonexistent).
#87 of 121 Old 10-16-2008, 03:11 AM

I divorced 4 years ago and it was difficult financially. I never thought we would go back to poverty and here we are! I can't find a job and after the whole law firm job nightmare, I just won't settle for an abusive situation. Oh yeah, and we are starving. But I know we will make it.
#88 of 121 Old 10-16-2008, 11:04 AM

I skimmed the thread and was surprised no one said child care? That seems like the best job for a single Mom, because you can stay with your children while you work!

That's what I am going to try anyway. I figure with a small day home and child support, I can raise my 1 and 3 year olds at home, while taking Early Learning and Child Care by distance education. By the time both girls are school aged, I will have my diploma and be able to work as a teacher's assistant at school or continue on with the day home.
#89 of 121 Old 10-16-2008, 01:33 PM

I did childcare and i love children, but truthfuully i got burned out and the pay is super horrible, but if you can stay home it would be nice or at least be at a great childcare
#90 of 121 Old 02-11-2009, 10:33 AM

Looking for some more ideas, especially for WAH. I can't do a lot of the jobs mentioned due to physical issues, but I'd really like to have something decent.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page