Best Jobs for single moms. - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#91 of 120 Old 03-17-2009, 04:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm on my way back to single mom status.
As much as I'd like to go for the full 4 yrs of college that I should have done a while ago, I don't have that kind of time.
I'd love to do something in the medical field, but I have a sort of weak tummy when it comes to puke, poop, smelly stuff, etc etc. It's something I can't just "suck up and deal with." What about a lab tech? I looked up sonography in my state and you can only take the cert if you already have your AS in radiology tech. Is that the case elsewhere? Sheesh. The rad tech program isn't for a single mom... or even a married one!
Thanks for the thread ladies. Awesome!
#92 of 120 Old 03-17-2009, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangent View Post
My job as professor has turned out to work out well from a single parent point of view, but I know that is not something you can train for in a few months. And honestly that wouldn't have been true in the pre-tenure days. Anyways.....

Working Mom magazine has a list of 10 ten companies to work for. A different perspective - sometimes the company is what matters most.

http://www.workingmother.com/web?service=vpage/859
I am actually thinking of going that path..... I am almost done with my BA and don't mind the long haul of school. Can you expand on the challenges I might/would face pre-tenure days? Can that be compatible with being a single parent?

"There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth; not going all the way and not starting." - Buddha.
#93 of 120 Old 03-17-2009, 09:39 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
OK i will share my story. and then you take what you want from it.

i have an english degree from a foreign country.

didnt get much of what i wanted. didnt want a 8 to 5 job. didnt want a state job. didnt want quite a few jobs. then i worked for an oil company. i thought i could do it to feed my dd at the cost of ignoring my soul. the worst year and a half of my life. worse than seperating. i was going against what i stood for.

so till dd was 6 i was poor. worked at jobs where i could spend more time with my dd. i struggled to see how i could make homeschoolign work.

gave up the idea of homeschooling when she turned 5. she is doing ok at school now at 6 1/2.

when i couldnt find a decent job last year i went on welfare and thought hey why not go back to school. then i found welfare would only let me go to school if i worked/community service for 20 hours a week. taking a full hard 15 units load, there was no way i could work, do well at school AND be a mom. so i quit cash aid. got FS and taken out school loans.

while at school - i was OVERWHELMED the first 3 months. just finding time, managing, revisiting things i had forgotten. i wasnt sure what i wanted to do. i knew i wanted to study math. 3 months in i know what i want to do. ecology, environmental science, oceanography, part time teach, part time write. even with work i know exactly what i want to do. want to do field work, want to either advice farmers or work with the fishermen, want to be involved with policy decisions on environmental conservation. i plan to aim for a PhD but maybe stop at a masters. i have to get to a masters to get the kind of job i want. if i can work and do my PhD then i plan to go for it as i want to part time teach college too.

so that is what at least another 7 year haul for my dd and me just to get my masters. that is the best route i can take. both of us being students has created a whole different bond. she comes to certain classes with me once in a while. she has met all my profs. she has talked to them about their subject. they have sat and gone over simple stuff with her. i can see discovering new facts really energises her the same way it energises me. she is in first grade and is apathetic to school but loves learning. next year should be a better year for her.

so what i am saying here is i disagree with "best jobs for single moms". there are things you have to do, decisions you have to make that makes your decision the best for your family. it is key to know what your passion is. the first 6 years of my dd's life my passion didnt matter. or should i say my passion WAS my dd. i purposefully chose my time with my dd. everythign else came second.

today my dd is older and she doesnt want that much time with me. she would love to go over to a playdate with friends which gives me free time to study. she comes with me sometimes when i go on my volunteer activities which is all environment related. she is surrounded by people who are passionate about their work. their interest. including her mom who is passionate about her school and about the environment. and i think that makes a huge impact on her. she is not just surviving day to day. she is living life and caring. in just 3 months time our life has changed drastically. i thought for teh bad but now i see it is for the good.

the best gift i can give my dd is going to school and pursuing my passion. it gives me time to be a mom too. which comes at the cost of student loans. so in the future i might be stuck with payments the size of a house payment, or something might happen otherwise. so which means in future due to my student loans i might not be better of financially than i am now. but i will be at a much better place professionally. doing what i love to do. and i have found in my experience when you follow truly your hearts desire things just work out in ways unimaginable which you might not be aware of now.

but right now - for our family, going to school, studying what i want to study is the best gift i can give my dd. i am enriching her life with people, knowledge, taking part in activities and advocacies that we wouldnt get without school. its not easy. it was easier just working low paying jobs and being poor. life was not v. meaningful then. there was no integrity in living. but now we have a full and nourishing life which is full of excitement and variation.

i have never wanted a career and i still dont. i have always wanted a what should i call it - path? after i finish i will have a job with most probably the government or non profit. i will probably be working with people i already know with whom i volunteer now and in future will intern with too.

i cannot stress how important it is to find your passion to be the best parent you want to be. for me it is pursuing a long learning process. it might not be the same for you. it might be just the opposite. but find the creativity in you and discover what you like. i met a mom who has her own online business. she has a 5 year old. she crochets all these cool things out of recycled materials like plastic grocery bags. wow!!! i was so blown away by her creative skills. we sat and talked and wow i was soooo impressed. she was being a mom AND pursuing her passion in a manner that gave her the lifestyle she wanted.

THANK YOU for reading if you made it this far. this is a v. passionate subject for me. esp. as a single mom, i think it becomes even more important to find our niche - whatever that may be.
PiperLime likes this.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#94 of 120 Old 03-17-2009, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halemama View Post
I'm on my way back to single mom status.
As much as I'd like to go for the full 4 yrs of college that I should have done a while ago, I don't have that kind of time.
I'd love to do something in the medical field, but I have a sort of weak tummy when it comes to puke, poop, smelly stuff, etc etc. It's something I can't just "suck up and deal with." What about a lab tech? I looked up sonography in my state and you can only take the cert if you already have your AS in radiology tech. Is that the case elsewhere? Sheesh. The rad tech program isn't for a single mom... or even a married one!
Thanks for the thread ladies. Awesome!

Most online schools have accelerated programs so it wouldn't be a full 4-years. Have you looked into a distance-learning program for rad tech or sonography? Or at least do the pre-req's online to get them out of the way.
#95 of 120 Old 05-24-2010, 08:29 AM

wow this is a great thread! I know it's old but wanted to bump it incase some new people haven't seen it yet, I only just did!

So much to think about, it's overwhelming and I often feel daunted like I can't figure out what the best job is yk? I'm working part-time and studying part-time...it's difficult going back to school after being out for a while, but hopefully it will all be worth it once I figure out wha job I want to aim for.

Any updates from anyone etc?

Mom    wash.gif  bikenew.gifgeek.gifdishes.gif

#96 of 120 Old 05-24-2010, 09:17 PM

my vote's for nursing.
- in acute care you work 3 12 h shifts, have 4 days off
-have a variety of opportunities for advancement, including care management and post-grad work such as nurse practitioner or CNM
-the work is incredibly rewarding, you're always learning something new
-awesome benefits and pay (average salary 50-65k)
-you can work in several areas, whether it be public health or acute care, long-term care, home health, school nurse-the opportunities are endless
-job security.

I am graduating next year with my BSN (bachelor of science in nursing) and then I'll be taking the NCLEX for my RN. Don't let anyone try to tell you that nursing school is too "hard" to get into. I remember 2 years ago an adviser told me to "not even try" because I was a newly divorced sing mother. My ex dh used to laugh at me when I told him I wanted to go to nursing school.
Here I am

RN, Tree-huggin, chicken-raisin'chicken3.gif, mountain climbing, yoga attempting namaste.gif Mama to Miss Areading.gif (10) and Miss K joy.gif(8). Newly re-married wife to DHpartners.gif We're pregnant!!belly.gifExpecting our new little addition this November!

#97 of 120 Old 05-25-2010, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babibelli View Post
I am graduating next year with my BSN (bachelor of science in nursing) and then I'll be taking the NCLEX for my RN. Don't let anyone try to tell you that nursing school is too "hard" to get into. I remember 2 years ago an adviser told me to "not even try" because I was a newly divorced sing mother. My ex dh used to laugh at me when I told him I wanted to go to nursing school.
Here I am
Wow good for you!

I really don't think nursing is an option for me, I suck terribly at math...which you need as a nurse to do heart rate, blood pressure, measure abouts of medicines, weighing patients and such....it seems like a whole lot of math and that's one of my worst subjects, unfortunately.

Mom    wash.gif  bikenew.gifgeek.gifdishes.gif

#98 of 120 Old 05-27-2010, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samy23 View Post
Wow good for you!

I really don't think nursing is an option for me, I suck terribly at math...which you need as a nurse to do heart rate, blood pressure, measure abouts of medicines, weighing patients and such....it seems like a whole lot of math and that's one of my worst subjects, unfortunately.
I'm a critical care RN and math is my weakness. Really you only need math to calculate meds. In school it's a big deal but at my facility the pharmacist does it 99% of the time. If s/he didn't, I do the math then call pharmacy to double check me. We now have IV pumps that do the math for us according to the IV medication we're administering. I enter the variables and it does the rest. Then I have another RN check the math. Any med worth giving is worth having another RN double check.

Beds weigh patients and convert from pounds to Kg.

Blood pressure doesn't use math unless you need the mean (rare) and is simple to calculate. Rarely does someone do a manual BP and the machine will calculate the mean automatically.

Core body temp can be recorded on our monitors via the foley catheter and the monitor records it in Celsius. We have a conversion sheet taped to the bottom of the monitor so we know what the temp is.

Don't be afraid of nursing because of math
#99 of 120 Old 05-28-2010, 12:39 AM

Don't forget about jobs like medical/general/legal transcription and medical billing and coding. You earn great money and you can work from home.

Lilly, mum to one handsome boyand to one of God's angels in heaven
#100 of 120 Old 07-07-2010, 07:34 PM

What a great thread! I may soon be a single mother and so reading through this gave me some great ideas. Bumping for others to read/add to it.

Single mama to S ~ 6/09

#101 of 120 Old 07-07-2010, 08:56 PM

While I am not currently employed and not sure if I will pursue this, i got my massage license prior to having DS. My theory is/was you can make a minimum of 30$ hour plus tips and fairly flexible schedule. It's hard work and you'd have to really enjoy touching people, which sometimes, I think I'd rather not. But hey, some people really do enjoy it and make great money. I think my school was about $1,500 dollars and took a year and half part time. It varies wildly. I'm still trying to figure out what my passion is and how I can make it work for the two of us.
#102 of 120 Old 07-07-2010, 10:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by samy23 View Post
Wow good for you!

Math is my worst subject. Absolutely. And I do well in nursing. Calculators are useful in critical care medicine, but honestly, there is very little math otherwise.

Momma to DS 1, age 8 and rainbow baby DS2 4-21-11.
#103 of 120 Old 07-07-2010, 11:32 PM

I ran across this thread and wanted to mention my job. I'm not a single mom anymore, but I sure wish I had made this money while I was....and also I work with some single moms.
What about a call center type job...you know, sales or customer service?

I wouldn't do "commission only" sales honestly, but at a lot of places you make a decent hourly wage ( well above minimum wage) plus quarterly bonuses. ( I do, and am so happy with it.)

Just a thought. I know there a few type places like this in some cities.

Mom to three boys 7/7/00 fencing.gif 11/20/02 and 10/29/2011 luxlove.gif

Writing at: http://paisleymama.blogspot.com/ and other places! 

#104 of 120 Old 07-22-2010, 04:20 PM

Loving this thread.....I've cleaned houses for 8 years now. I've made anywhere from $10-15.00 per hour. I do my own schedule. I always get paid on the days I clean. Typcially cash, sometimes they write checks though.

After 8 years, well......I'm tired and bored with cleaning. I'd rather do something else. I can't complain though. I've always been able to pay the bills, put food on the table without any help from the gov or the ex. Though help would be nice sometimes. (smiles)

I've always wanted to start a plantscaping/christmas decorating business. I have no clue if I will ever do it though.

I'm a single, self-employed, homeschooling mom of 2 great kids. Girl 9/95 and Boy 3/99.
#105 of 120 Old 07-22-2010, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly1976 View Post
Loving this thread.....I've cleaned houses for 8 years now. I've made anywhere from $10-15.00 per hour. I do my own schedule. I always get paid on the days I clean. Typcially cash, sometimes they write checks though.

After 8 years, well......I'm tired and bored with cleaning. I'd rather do something else. I can't complain though. I've always been able to pay the bills, put food on the table without any help from the gov or the ex. Though help would be nice sometimes. (smiles)

I've always wanted to start a plantscaping/christmas decorating business. I have no clue if I will ever do it though.
Wow you've supported yourself and two kids on that income and no gov or ex help!? You should really be in the frugality and finances board telling how! I definitely couldn't live off that income, and I just have one child. Seriously impressive.
#106 of 120 Old 03-11-2012, 11:33 PM

I noticed that a lot of people suggested being a CNA. I am trained as a CNA. Even the CNAs hate it. Its kind of a famous phrase that CNAs are "glorified butt wipers." You are doing sponge baths, feeding, answering call lights, changing sheets, showers, etc. Most CNAs are waiting to move on to nursing school. I would not recommend this although it does work for some. I think they pay about 10/hr.

A daycare would seem easy because you could just bring your child w/you when needed. But there are also companies that have on-site child care (They are few and far between, but they aer out there) so I would suggest looking into those. Those are also good companies because they usually have good benefits.

#107 of 120 Old 03-13-2012, 02:46 AM

I work from home as a webcam model. I noticed no one had mentioned it, so I thought I'd throw it out there. Very decent money, you can work when you feel like it, you're your own boss, etc.
It's definitely not for everyone but I love it!

Bethanie, Single Mama to Clementine Aislyn born via waterbirth.jpguc.jpg on 11/23/08. Hoping to homeschool.gif We cd.gifsaynovax.gif
#108 of 120 Old 03-21-2012, 01:56 PM

what is a webcam model?

#109 of 120 Old 03-21-2012, 02:32 PM

It's essentially being a stripper from home, so no need to be physically near people you don't know.

Bethanie, Single Mama to Clementine Aislyn born via waterbirth.jpguc.jpg on 11/23/08. Hoping to homeschool.gif We cd.gifsaynovax.gif
#110 of 120 Old 03-21-2012, 06:49 PM

Honestly, I think the best jobs for single moms are the stable ones that give fairly generous salaries. That usually requires education. I think it's so great if women can get a college degree before marrying and having kids. I hate seeing women stressing about leaving abusive or cheating husbands because they're worried that they have no means of supporting themselves. But even in that situation, it's so great if the moms can go back to school and get an education and get a good job. It can be a struggle getting there but student loans aren't the worst thing in the world, and there are work study options and whatnot. And it's not a fast process, but it is a lifelong investment.

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.
#111 of 120 Old 03-22-2012, 05:37 PM

I don't know.  I have a college degree in English, student loans I can't pay so I can't go to grad school, and no jobs here in the field.  And freelance writing online is a no-man's land, it seems to me.  There are others who work at the restaurant with me who have architecture degrees, and etc.

#112 of 120 Old 03-26-2012, 08:33 PM

I worked for a while in the kitchens for the local school district. The pay was pretty good even though I was temporary. If I had stayed and gone permanent it would have been better pay, all the school holidays off and summers off of course (paid, because the position was salaried just like teachers, etc.), good health insurance and other benefits, etc. Hours didn't work for my kids because I had to be out of the house before they were even up in the morning which they hated. Started at 6:30 am because we baked some things from scratch and also served breakfast. But I was off by 1 or 2 in the afternoons which was great. 

Of course, I did quit to go back to school because I agree with the idea that an education is important and an investment.

Single student mama to dd 5/04 and ds 11/07.

#113 of 120 Old 03-30-2012, 09:00 PM

I'm a resume writer; it's easier than you'd think and offers flexible hours (I work while DS is asleep). I get my business on craigslist and from referrals, call each new client and the rest of the correspondence is via email. It's not my passion but is a talent and definitely pays the bills. I end up making between $35 and $50 an hour, and sometimes work 10-15 hours a week. It is pretty inconsistent so saving is pretty important, but it's a good gig to have as a SAHM.

#114 of 120 Old 03-31-2012, 09:17 AM

College is definitely not a guarantee of anything. What you major in probably matters. Other considerations include willingness to relocate. I'm far from being an expert on this, of course. I have taken into consideration how very many people want to stay where I live after graduation and how many people who live here already have degrees.

I hear very mixed responses regarding the marketability of my degree(s). The average time that an individual spends in this field is 7 years (or so I've heard). Is that because there aren't jobs, because they don't pay well? Or is some of it because it's a female-dominated field and many people stop working when they have children? Or because so many of the women who graduated with me in their early 20s felt that they had to choose something, anything, and didn't really want to be in the field after all. And you pretty much have to have a graduate degree to do much in this field. Then I hear from people who have been in private practice for decades, who went on to get doctorates and teach/research, and people who have gone on to be administrators, and they love what they do and make a good living.

Each degree in my field means something a little different. I am considering a doctorate in a few years; making that decision is about very different things than making the decision about the Bachelor's, which was different than making the decision about the Master's. The Bachelor's was a given -- I was probably not going to get hired without it, let alone get a job that could support two kids. The Master's was close to a necessity, given my field and the type of jobs I want. The PhD... very different set of considerations, and I don't think I even know what all of the variables are yet.

All this long-windedness (you did catch that I'm considering a career in academia, right?) to say that what a college education means isn't just one answer.

#115 of 120 Old 04-08-2012, 05:01 AM

I'm a school bus driver. I took this job last year when my DS started kindergarten. He rides the bus with me, even when I'm driving my high school route (the highschoolers love him!) and whenever he's out of school for holidays or snowdays, I'm off too, so I won't have to worry about childcare. It pays almost $17 an hour, the training was completely paid for, and I get 30-35 hours a week. I really enjoy it!

#116 of 120 Old 03-17-2014, 08:45 PM

where I can apply for those less than a year programs?

#117 of 120 Old 03-23-2014, 06:11 AM

Famia look for workforce partnership in your area.

Not everyone is made for healthcare and here in my area cnas get paid like 11 $ an hour.

I am opting for a job in education. I did have a BA in English so getting certified wont take me too long. I also have my backup of support jobs I plan to apply for if I do not get a teaching job right away. Public school hours im situation are the best. No family help or support and an ex that works mandatory weekends every weekend and 6 days a week 11-12 shifts means no free or cheap babysitter. Off hours is non negotiable for me
Children need one parent home in the evening and babysitters charge about 10-15 $ an hour for 2 children.

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
#118 of 120 Old 03-23-2014, 07:59 AM

This is such a helpful thread. I'm looking to get a second degree so that I can be an ultrasound tech. My son is only 16 months so I feel like its better to do the schooling now than to wait. A friend said I could take all the pre requisites online however some credits should transfer from my first degree. If I could find a way to do both passions (medical and food) I will be alright. I work at a daycare right now. My mom owns it. You do get burned out quickly but the pay for me is pretty good. It's just not my passion. I have a culinary degree and I do small personal chef jobs which I love but there isn't a huge market for personal chefs where I live. I get more work doing cakes than I do with actual food. So if I could do ultrasounds during the week and my chef work on the weekends ( which I do at home to still be with my son) I will be able to manage without stressing out about paying bills since his dad refuses to pay child support.
#119 of 120 Old 03-28-2014, 03:27 PM

I am a single mom and am getting OUT of the healthcare industry right now. For 13 years, I was an LPN and it's not a joke that the wages are going down. I was making decent pay for my area, around $20 and hour, then took off for kids. When I went back, the highest wages for someone with my experience was $16 plus a $1 shift differential. The schedule is either 12's (hard to find childcare), or odd hours (6-2, 2-10--again, hard to find a daycare that opens before 5:30 or stays open until 11:30 or later. Nurses give report at the end of the shift, so you don't clock out at 10, it's closer to 10:30-10:45 sometimes). Plus, finding a job where you don't work weekends is very, very, very rare, again hard to find childcare. Shifts normally rotate, etc, etc. I have four kids, three are in school which means during the school year, it's not too bad paying for childcare, but during summer, it's brutal. Most places, they are not very flexible with you about having to take time off for sick kids. Once or twice, maybe, but you can get into a lot of trouble for having to call in. You also can't just leave in an emergency, you legally have to get someone to cover you before you can go, and sometimes, that means calling all the on-call or prn people and praying someone will come in at the drop of a hat.

I love nursing, but it's just not something I can do anymore. I'm going back to school to become a teacher, but I know that doesn't help you out right now. Just wanted to tell you my experience.

If you are in a position where you have excellent back-up for child care, then nursing is a very good industry to get into. LPN school can be anywhere from 12-15 months and for that amount of time, pays pretty well. I would not recommend CNA, because they work their butts off and barely get paid more than minimum wage. It might be okay if you're just using it as a stepping stone, but if not, you'd almost be better off working at a convenience station or grocery store.

#120 of 120 Old 03-28-2014, 07:12 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)

Rehab assistant or physiotherapy assistant is another one that is typically only a couple years of schooling and would not involve night shifts! 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page