Best Jobs for single moms. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 121 Old 02-18-2008, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Please share your ideas on the best jobs for single moms~

I cannot seem t o support my family, I had been a SAHM for many years, now I have 3 kids to myself. I dont want to have to rely on anyone - including Ex. I want to learn a trade to be self sufficient. I have the opportunity to take a FEW months to try to get licensed in something that I can get a job in, maybe a CNA or the like. What could I DO? What jobs are out there that require just a little training. I am broke and jobless at the time, I'm getting down.
thanks

ELY -Mommy to many

#2 of 121 Old 02-18-2008, 11:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What do you like to do? What are you passionate about? What skills do you have that you enjoy using?

Getting a *job* is sometimes necessary, but if you can get something that you really love, it will make going to work easier and likely, you'll make more money too.
#3 of 121 Old 02-18-2008, 12:04 PM

I agree with MCA- what sort of things do you like? Finding something you like, rather than just something you can do, will make getting up in the morning so much easier!

For me- I love kids. I'm getting my associates in early childhood education right now (sloooooowly working on it. LOL). For 5 years I was a nanny (when I stopped it was on the 5 years olds birthday and I also had a 1 year old I was watching). My ds was born about 14 months after I started that nanny positition. He came with me everyday.

Now I'm working in a daycare part time. DS goes to the big kid room and I work mostly in the infant room. It's a smaller daycare so he can just come down the hall anytime he needs to see mama. Works out great for us! It's not a long term job, but it'll get us through this hump.

ETA- I should add that it's been really important to me to have ds close. He has special needs and I need to be able to keep my eyes on him, more or less at all times. Fortunately the woman who work in his room are very nice and I trust them all with DS, but I don't think I could send him to daycare if I wasn't right there. His specialness is just too much for some people to handle.

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#4 of 121 Old 02-18-2008, 12:32 PM

The healthcare industry is desparate for all kinds of tech people - ultrasound, Xray techs, all tyoes of nursing positions. Lots of the training programs can be completed in under a year. My friend is an ultrasound tech and loves it. Her schedule is flexible and she makes about 50K a year.
Good luck!
#5 of 121 Old 02-18-2008, 10:59 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'll second healthcare. Your state may have an at-home caregiver listing that you can get onto, where you work for elderly or disabled people in their homes and are paid through the state. In my state there's no liscense required. I'm planning to go to school for my RN- it's only three years (I know, more than you were looking for), but part time they make $34.00 an hour around here. The LPN degree takes only two years.

Another kind of work that can pay really well is housecleaning. You have to work for yourself, though, and it takes time to get enough jobs. But you can make 12-20 an hour doing that, on your own schedule.

Mama to: Asterbanana.gif ,          Augustblueman.gif,              Emmett:nut.gif,              Ruthie: kiss.gif

Step mom to Malakiesuperhero.gif, Cameron af.gif, and Aurelia partytime.gif
#6 of 121 Old 02-19-2008, 01:19 AM - Thread Starter

I really am not looking for something I enjoy. Im on FS and just want to pay the bills, literally. Great ideas so far! keep em coming... !
thanks mommas.

ELY -Mommy to many

#7 of 121 Old 02-19-2008, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattyCakes_726 View Post
The healthcare industry is desparate for all kinds of tech people - ultrasound, Xray techs, all tyoes of nursing positions. Lots of the training programs can be completed in under a year. My friend is an ultrasound tech and loves it. Her schedule is flexible and she makes about 50K a year.
Good luck!
I agree. My sister-in-law did a 6 mo. program to become a CNA and then found a good paying job right off the bat.

Stay-at-home mom to 2 beautiful.busy.boisterous boys b. 08.17.05 & 12.29.08
Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi
#8 of 121 Old 02-19-2008, 02:49 AM

If you do CNA, be careful where you work, you don't want an onthejob injury to leave you disabled, esp when you are the sole support of your family.
#9 of 121 Old 02-19-2008, 08:42 AM

Paper routes can help supplement another job (and can be kid friendly), welding (theres a mama in DH's class right now) pays well and allows travel - about a year of training for the basics. OUr Technical school offers an LPN class at night thats done in 15 months...Taken during the day it takes even less time.
#10 of 121 Old 02-20-2008, 04:37 AM

Speaking of healthcare, what about a phlebotomist (person who draws blood for labs)? They usually have training courses ranging from a weekend to 2 weeks and pay starts around here at 15.00 an hour. Plus, since you'd work for a hospital or lab, you'd probably get good benefits too.
#11 of 121 Old 02-22-2008, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3_opihi View Post
Speaking of healthcare, what about a phlebotomist (person who draws blood for labs)? They usually have training courses ranging from a weekend to 2 weeks and pay starts around here at 15.00 an hour. Plus, since you'd work for a hospital or lab, you'd probably get good benefits too.
This is what I was going to suggest also. Or an ultrasound tech..You can make $$ in healthcare!
#12 of 121 Old 02-22-2008, 06:37 AM

I'm going to school for Health Care this fall, so I'll just echo everybody else. No, it won't be my permanent dream job but right now supporting my family is my priority. Good luck, mama.
#13 of 121 Old 02-22-2008, 02:56 PM

I think this is a great idea for me! How do I find out a legit way to do this?
#14 of 121 Old 02-22-2008, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheilajolene View Post
I think this is a great idea for me! How do I find out a legit way to do this?
I know I am interested too! I have a friend that could really use a job like that!

"There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth; not going all the way and not starting." - Buddha.
#15 of 121 Old 02-22-2008, 03:53 PM

When ex left me it was about finding something that I could work around ds. If he was sick they would understand if I called in. I ended up working in a grocery store. The pay wasn't great but it was flexible hours with health benifits. I did end up working a second job taking care of a teenager with special needs as well part time.
mama I agree with something in healthcare for the long term though. That is where the jobs and $$ is.

Vanessa belly.gif, wife to Kev , mama to Byron (5) wild.gif and Billie (2) and  due in June
#16 of 121 Old 02-22-2008, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Good luck!
I'm curious, do you need an associates degree to get into a training program?

Ack, I feel like I should have done all of this years ago!!

mama to the most awesome 3! year old ever!
#17 of 121 Old 02-22-2008, 06:43 PM

A word of caution about healthcare-related jobs. I genuinely don't mean to be depressing. However, we have a shortage of healthcare workers and legislation that's opened the door for more guest workers; Congress seems to take it for granted that we will have more. Possibly many more. In other parts of the industrialized world, it's routine to have nurses and other healthcare professionals come in and work for fairly low wages. The same is likely to happen here within the next decade, and the demand for it will grow as the Boomers head towards old age. They'll need a lot more nursing & hospital care, and we won't be able to afford or supply it ourselves at current wages. SEIU will be forced to accommodate or die.

All of this means that healthcare wages are unlikely to stay where they are. You can still do well in the meantime. But I would not take on a lot of debt for it, and I would consider looking for managerial/hospital-MBA-type opportunities after actually working as a healthcare professional for a few years.

Sorry to make things sound tougher. I just see a lot of single mothers heading for healthcare, and while it'll be good in the short run, I can't see it lasting. So plan for a way out as well as a way in.
#18 of 121 Old 02-23-2008, 01:40 AM

I've worked in healthcare a long time and people are always saying that and there will be some issue with it but from what I've seen it's not going to bottom out...on the contrary. Healthcare is one of the areas where if English totally and completely fluent there can be fatal consequences. I wouldn't try to raise 3 kids on a CNA and avoid those expensive career schools (medical assistants don't usually make the big bucks) unless you can get welfare to pay a big chunk. In a lot of places if you have no skills (like displaced homemakers) the workforce org will pay for certain in need jobs. The nursing ones are always very difficult to get into because all the women want in. If you aren't against welding or HVAC or one of the "man jobs" I would go for that since you may get in the door easier, the training is usually shorter and the pay better than "women's work". If I went back to school I would do welding or something similar in a heartbeat.

Do try to think of what wouldn't want to make you crawl into an early grave even if you can't pick your life's dream. I would rather pick up trash along a freeway than be in hospital admin.
#19 of 121 Old 02-23-2008, 03:08 AM

i have a 8-5pm job as a marketing coordinator for a small medical device company. i have a lot of admin experience so it wasn't too hard to get in. plus i did project mgmt. i also clean homes on the side in the eves and weekends for cash.

when i worked in the hospital, a lot of single moms worked as MA's while completing the 18 month program. hospitals are most flexible since there are three shift.
another suggestion is day care or teaching. in most cases you can work on your credential while you work.

good luck

single mama to DD 5.09
#20 of 121 Old 02-23-2008, 05:04 AM

Speech therapist assistant is a two-year program here, and you can take most of it online. You can work in schools, and have pretty much the same vacations as your kids.

HTH
#21 of 121 Old 02-23-2008, 05:27 PM

I worked for many years as a waitress and bartender. Crap jobs, yeah, but if you find a place where tips are good , I could make $200 in 3 hours bartending.

A plus for me, too, was that serving jobs don't take up much mental or emotional space, kwim? I could leave, go home to my child and not take home baggage from work. It really helped to keep me from getting too overwhelmed. An added bonus too, is that the jobs are pretty disposable and therefore very flexible. A really good waitress or bartender is hard to find, and a good manager will make allowances for your personal schedule (I'm a restaurant manager now, I make a LOT of allowances for my staff.)
kristinas8 likes this.
#22 of 121 Old 02-23-2008, 06:50 PM

Good points Alima. Bartending could actually be a decent career if you were willing to work the late hours and it's not AS hard on the body as waitressing.
#23 of 121 Old 02-23-2008, 07:20 PM

have you considered hairdressing? it takes 10 mos to complete. the hours are great you can choose anything you want. you get tips bonuses and wages or commision.
you'll save money cause you'll cut your families hair. you can work a bit from home to make extra money too.
#24 of 121 Old 02-23-2008, 08:55 PM

Hi,

I got a government job. Yes I am a reciepent of your tax dollars and I thank you all!!!!

I was a restaurant/Bar manager when my son was born until he was about two but the hours killed me.

I took two years off and did the SAHM show, I used up all my savings but I wouldn't trade it for the world!!!!! During my SAHM time I worked part time as a crossing guard and I could bring my son (who was about almost 3 and 4 during that time). I also worked one day a week as a bookkeeper at a restaurant on Mondays when they were closed so I could bring my son. So I guess I really wasn't a SAHM since I worked but it wasn't full time and I brought my DS.

I took me two years of applying to get my Government job! No lie it took that long!!! And I went in at rock bottom entry level and it is for an agency that absolutely does not fall in line with my idiology.

But I've been there almost three years now and it has been wonderful for my home life with my DS.

I've gotten a few promotions and the money is getting a bit better. The best thing about it is the hours, the vacations and the limited stress. There is great security too.

I had to trade some of my ideals but my biggest ideal of caring well for my DS has been met. A trade off I've come to find peace with.

I know they say do what you love and the money will follow, well I love my son and the money did come

I wish you the best of luck in whatever path you decide to follow.

Single mom to Aidan soon to be 8....where did the time go!!!!!
:
#25 of 121 Old 02-23-2008, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windorabug View Post
I'm curious, do you need an associates degree to get into a training program?

Ack, I feel like I should have done all of this years ago!!
Check out the community colleges in your area. They often have programs where you wind up with your cert for ultrasound and an AA degree. If you already have an AA or BA you can do the program in less time.
There are also private training centers that cost more ( a lot more!) but you finish more quickly. My friend took this route. It took her a year and cost
$19K (loans and grants). She did not have an AA. This was about 4 years ago, so I don't know if things have changed.
#26 of 121 Old 02-23-2008, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppyMama View Post
I've worked in healthcare a long time and people are always saying that and there will be some issue with it but from what I've seen it's not going to bottom out...on the contrary. Healthcare is one of the areas where if English totally and completely fluent there can be fatal consequences.
Yes. This won't stop them, though, as it hasn't in Europe and won't in Japan, in the end. We already outsource a good deal of radiology and healthcare recordkeeping to India. In the end the hospital industry and Congress will look at the untenable costs of Boomer-related nursing care and the estimated increase in negative outcomes from hiring guest workers who may not be perfectly fluent, and will decide it's worth the tradeoff.

Home health care already does this, btw. Those old folks in Florida aren't working with home staffs of well-trained, fluent-English nurses and paraprofessionals.

People used to talk about the bottom falling out of nursing because so many people were piling in, & they said there wouldn't be that many jobs. There'll be plenty of jobs, all right. That's not why the wages will fall. The wages will fall for the same reason manufacturing wages fell. There is a large pool of foreign labor willing to do it for much, much less, and if there are some quality issues, to the money people who make the decisions, they aren't serious enough to stop the outsourcing/immigration. Certainly the healthcare industry hasn't been shy about accepting marginally worse outcomes for a big boost on the bottom line. And certainly Congress has let them run with it. Just as it's your job now to check that the docs and nurses have washed their hands, marked you up correctly for surgery, and given you the right meds at the right doses, it's going to be your job to make sure your nurse understands your English, and that you understand the nurse.

Incidentally, don't kid yourself about English proficiency in the rest of the world. The call center industry in India has now had several years of accent training and the improvement is marked. English instruction is a major sideline in China. These people are hungry and they want the jobs.
#27 of 121 Old 02-24-2008, 01:43 AM
L J

I think a great job is waitressing/bartending. Its what I have done for nearly 10 years, and what I am doing now to support myself and my son. I work for a chain restaurant, but because I bust my butt and do them favors, they make a lot of allowances for me. I pretty much set my own schedule and if something comes up (like, last weekend, my son got the flu) they are very understanding. In tips alone I average about $20 an hour. Server minimum wage is $2.13 an hour, but the place I am at has made me a "trainer" which means that I make $5.85 on top of my tips. We also have fantastic health insurance.

I don't want it for my career, I feel like now I am getting to old to be running around so many hours a day and do such physical work, but its definately paying the bills while I finish my degree.

Good luck mama.

Laura, mama to Henry 01.28.07 uc.jpg
candle.gif missing Jack, born still in the car 08.23.10 at 36 weeks 
Loving on Catherine, my  rainbow1284.gif 09.01.11, UC

#28 of 121 Old 02-24-2008, 01:56 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama41 View Post

Incidentally, don't kid yourself about English proficiency in the rest of the world. The call center industry in India has now had several years of accent training and the improvement is marked. English instruction is a major sideline in China. These people are hungry and they want the jobs.

You have obviously never had to call tech support for anything, its all outsourced to India and I can NEVER understand them. Its really annoying to spend an hour on hold only to get someone who's accent is so strong you can't understand 90% of what there saying.

Seriously?
#29 of 121 Old 02-24-2008, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satori View Post
You have obviously never had to call tech support for anything, its all outsourced to India and I can NEVER understand them. Its really annoying to spend an hour on hold only to get someone who's accent is so strong you can't understand 90% of what there saying.
It seems to me they've gotten much better in the last 5 years or so, esp in fin services. I've noticed that in some of the calls now, the American English is confident enough that they've dropped the fake American name. ("Hi ma'm, my name is Michael -- " No, your name is certainly not Michael.) Where they find it cost-effective, they do some very good training now, and boot the people who can't transform their accents.

The thing is that in medicine, nursing/support salaries are an enormous enough expense that it really won't matter. The federal money isn't there for the staffing levels that'll be needed. If they bring guest workers here at a third of the salary and reduced benefits -- health insurance only, say -- they'll save enough that they won't do much before there's outcry. Then they'll require a language-proficiency certificate, which, again, won't do much (though it'll be a boon to colleges, since they'll get tuition/grants for developing and running the mandatory programs). Patients will be urged to listen more carefully and speak more clearly, and to remember that we live in a global world. It's no novelty. England, Germany, plenty of countries have been living with this for years now. I'm sure there's been plenty of grumbling, too, about accents and intelligibility, and yet more of the nurses come every year.

I imagine it'd happen faster if McCain wins. SEIU is not what it was, but the Dems are still not anxious to lose those votes.
#30 of 121 Old 02-24-2008, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Check out the community colleges in your area. They often have programs where you wind up with your cert for ultrasound and an AA degree. If you already have an AA or BA you can do the program in less time.
There are also private training centers that cost more ( a lot more!) but you finish more quickly. My friend took this route. It took her a year and cost
$19K (loans and grants). She did not have an AA. This was about 4 years ago, so I don't know if things have changed.
This is likely to vary by area. Here in MN US tech is a 2 yr. program. It's HIGHLY competitive, the classes are limited to 12 students a year and it's a long, hard, exhausting program. I wanted to go for this but no way was i going to take that big of a chance.

Rad. tech is much easier to get into and the pay isn't quite as high but it's still a great job.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page