How does a single mom go back to school? X-posted - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 02-29-2008, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have about 15 College credits from many years ago... Right now I want to go for my associates (probably online) and then decide if I should go on to my Bachelor's.

The problem is that I'm a single mother right now, and I haven't been working since I had ds... which means no real income other than child support. I feel very strongly that I need to go back to school, otherwise I will just be doing the same crappy work as I always have, and that's not acceptable anymore. How can/should I do this? Please help!
#2 of 30 Old 02-29-2008, 01:04 PM

For me - family help. My parents will help support me. I'll figure out what kind of financial aid is available as soon as I get my taxes done (I'm in the process of separating). Go to a public university. Find a program for which there's great demand and a lot of aid money (think nursing, for instance). Are you part of any ethnic/religious/other group that might have special programs or scholarships? Look into it. FastWeb is a good source for scholarship info.

Start SLOWLY. Get the best-paying p/t job you can, and take 1-2 classes at a time. See how that goes. See what you can manage. Figure out what will be the tougher/easier classes in your program and consider that when you choose your courseload. If there are some classes you can do online, consider mixing those in.

Finally, I would recommend a fairly practical degree - accounting, nursing, etc., which will really put you in a good position to be qualfied for a steady career, rather than something more general. This is from an English lit major. I was able to make a good career, but I'm in a major city, and with that kind of major you not the type that employers are looking to snap up - you have to find them and make your case.
#3 of 30 Old 02-29-2008, 01:47 PM

I just started back in grad. school last month (as a single mother to my 2 year old.)

What I did was research degree programs, loans and funding. My daughter got a space in the University preschool (I had previously been a SAHM since she was born.) I can balance our budget by being very careful with money, using some savings and the child support she gets from her father, financial aid and taking a modest loan.

I can be done. You don't want to rack up unpayable debt, but don't be afraid of student loans either. It's an investment in your future earnings potential.

ETA: don't forget to fill out your FAFSA and check out Raise the Nation http://www.raisethenation.org/ There may be more funding available to you than you'd think.
#4 of 30 Old 02-29-2008, 05:09 PM

When my kids were young, I did school online and that worked really well, because they'd go to bed around 7 and I could do homework for a few hours every night while they slept as well as fitting things in here and there while they played.
#5 of 30 Old 02-29-2008, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

I know that some of what I'll do will have to be on-site, but I can do most of the first year online. Ds has hardly ever been away from me though, and I feel that he's too young to send to child-care full time just so that I can work and go to school. I don't know where I'll get the money for this if I'm not working, though (I sahm right now and am actively looking for work)
#6 of 30 Old 02-29-2008, 06:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Have you filled out your fafsa yet? You and I are in similar boats, except I have four kids and they're older. I have still been their caregiver all their lives, though, plus childcare for them costs $10 an hour. Anyway, I'm in the process of completing my fafsa and it has a section for child care expenses, so my fingers are crossed I can get some help with child care.

One thing you could do is do most of your schoolwork at home while he's sleeping, and then find another mama to trade childcare with. If your 'childcare' are also your friends, your ds will bond with them, too and it won't be like dropping him off at day care.

If you need to work at a job, have you looked into nannying?

Here's another thing to look into- in my state, if you have a job you can get the state to pay for child care while you work (I know, makes sense, huh?). But it doesn't have to be daycare. It can be anyone you want who is willing to accept the pay. I think they have to pass a backgroud check. At least you can make some money and leave your son with someone you trust (and he trusts).

I know other women have done this, so I know it can be done. Though I was just talking to my mom this morning. She was a single mom and a graduate student at the university of Montana in the sixties. She said she took speed and slept 3-4 hours a night. So much for the easy life of a college student! And she never finished her masters because, get this- she was the first woman in their graduate program, and she had a black boyfriend, so they hated her. They refused to accept her thesis, so she *almost* finished her degree. Now that's some odds to go against!

Mama to: Asterbanana.gif ,          Augustblueman.gif,              Emmett:nut.gif,              Ruthie: kiss.gif

Step mom to Malakiesuperhero.gif, Cameron af.gif, and Aurelia partytime.gif
#7 of 30 Old 02-29-2008, 10:35 PM
Dar

Fill out your FAFSA and apply ASAP, because some schools have a limited number of supplementary grants to give, and when they're gone they're gone. Look into scholarships, too. Depending on which your school offers, check with the Women's Center, Non-Traditional Student Center, or Re-Entry Center for info on available funding.

You should definitely qualify for a Pell grant. I got my B.A. when Rain was little and I didn't work at all, or take any loans - I got a full scholarship based on grades, a Pell grant, and a Block Grant to pay for childcare.

Dar

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

#8 of 30 Old 02-29-2008, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar View Post
Fill out your FAFSA and apply ASAP, because some schools have a limited number of supplementary grants to give, and when they're gone they're gone. Look into scholarships, too. Depending on which your school offers, check with the Women's Center, Non-Traditional Student Center, or Re-Entry Center for info on available funding.

You should definitely qualify for a Pell grant. I got my B.A. when Rain was little and I didn't work at all, or take any loans - I got a full scholarship based on grades, a Pell grant, and a Block Grant to pay for childcare.

Dar

Thanks for all the suggestions about grants. I did my FAFSA Tonight. YAY! I'm so excited. How did you support yourself? Did the grants and scholarships pay for living expenses?
#9 of 30 Old 03-01-2008, 12:30 AM
Dar

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheilajolene View Post
How did you support yourself? Did the grants and scholarships pay for living expenses?

I lived on the grants, and welfare... I also got a third state-funded grant sometimes, and we were on Section 8 housing, and I got food stamps. It was enough, and I even saved a bit under my mattress so that when I graduated I had some money to tide us over. That's forbidden, of course, hence the mattress...

Dar

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

#10 of 30 Old 03-01-2008, 12:40 AM

When I was single with 2 dc, I went back to school. I used student loans and grants for the most part. But here, if you work 10 hours a week, they pay for your daycare/child care, so I did either student worker stuff or worked a little on the weekend and would have family or a friend watch them. Online classes are great, too, with the same financial benefits.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#11 of 30 Old 03-01-2008, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

My state doesn't really have welfare for single mothers who are getting c/s. It really sucks because there should be more funding so that we can get better jobs with a better education. I have a friend in Maine who is a single mother and she's getting school and childcare and her apartment paid for. There's no housing for me locally and no welfare... so that leaves me with scholarships, grants and loans. Do scholarships and grants also pay living expenses, or just school?
#12 of 30 Old 03-01-2008, 01:29 PM

I know at least in the Universities I have attended, that they pay for living expenses. However, community colleges, at least here in IL do not give you fin aid for living expenses. So keep that in mind. Call the college you wish to attend and ask about their policies.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#13 of 30 Old 03-01-2008, 02:04 PM

Another thing to look for is a school with on-site daycare. Some larger commuter schools offer subsidized on-site care for children of students (one I'm familiar with charges faculty the full rate but has a discount for students), and that could be really useful if you can find it, so be sure to ask.

#14 of 30 Old 03-01-2008, 03:10 PM
Dar

Quote:
My state doesn't really have welfare for single mothers who are getting c/s. It really sucks because there should be more funding so that we can get better jobs with a better education. I have a friend in Maine who is a single mother and she's getting school and childcare and her apartment paid for. There's no housing for me locally and no welfare... so that leaves me with scholarships, grants and loans. Do scholarships and grants also pay living expenses, or just school?
I've heard that Maine is good... I never got child support, and welfare in Arizona (where I was living) was under $200 a month, so it was really impossible to live on.... if you're actually getting child support and living on it you're probably better off.

Section 8 is a federal housing program - you get on a waiting list, and when your number comes up you get a voucher that says that once you pay 30% of your income towards rent and utilities (school grants aren't included, or at least weren't then) they'll pay the rest. You have to get your landlord to agree to it, though, and have annual inspections. Honestly, getting a roommate might have been easier, but that wasn't an option under section 8.

You can use grant and scholarship money to pay for living expenses - I got a full scholarship based on gpa and poverty, and so all of my grant money was used for living expenses.

Dar

#15 of 30 Old 03-01-2008, 08:39 PM

I started college when dd was two. I completed a 4 yr program in 2 1/2 years while working and traveling 60 miles to school. I got a student loan to pay for school because the money I made while working was needed for us to live. I could not have done it without my family's help. They have always been a huge support/help to dd and I.

Kim, proud CPS mom to Marnie and my 4 legged kids, Jess, Zander, Oliver, Stumpy and Eddie.
#16 of 30 Old 03-02-2008, 04:42 PM

I have no help from anyone, no family, frineds really- I moved out of state and started totally fresh. I go to school online and work (right now I am looking for anew job).
Ive been working and going to school online since DH "left". I did take a few saturday classes, and I had a saturday sitter last sememster.
Best wishes! you can do it ~ !! Great plan, great attitude. We must better ourselvs so our babes can benefit.

ELY -Mommy to many

#17 of 30 Old 03-02-2008, 10:35 PM

A question for those of you who have received financial aid. Do you have any idea how liquid assets affect the receipt of aid? I have a significant amount of money in the bank earmarked for a down payment on a house. I want to go back to school for my Masters. It will be a two year program and you are told that you basically cannot work fulltime, because of the type of program it is. I wasn't planning on buying a house until I graduate (DD and I live with my parents right now) but instead get an apartment. I would hope I could get grants and subsidized loans to cover me when I am school. I am afraid my house nest egg will keep that from happening. So I am wondering if I should buy the house now? I just hesitate to take that on knowing I am not going to be working and then I would be depending on aid to pay my mortgage, scary thought for me.
#18 of 30 Old 03-02-2008, 10:39 PM

OP I'm assuming you're American so I won't contribute, but if you are by chance Canadian please say so and I will tell you how I did it.
#19 of 30 Old 03-02-2008, 10:47 PM

Go!

I went back to school when dd was 9mo. I'm still in school, and have a bit over 2 years left (getting my bachelor's). I go to school full time and work part time. I'm on government assistance, and I live off of student loans and financial aid. I forsee this being a short-term existance, as my degree will make me more marketable for a job that can adequetly support my daughter and myself. The sooner you go back to school, the more a degree will help you (financially). I'm not sure how old your child is, but the sooner you go, the sooner it's over and the more the degree will be needed.
#20 of 30 Old 03-03-2008, 12:32 AM

Tessa,

I know that graduate school is a little different from a bachelor's degree, but the FAFSA goes off your income tax return. I don't think you need to put bank information in there at all. If your income allows for you to get financial aid, I would go with that. You don't need to disclose your savings account. Or put it in your mom's name for a while.

that's my opinion.
#21 of 30 Old 03-03-2008, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieo View Post
Tessa,

I know that graduate school is a little different from a bachelor's degree, but the FAFSA goes off your income tax return. I don't think you need to put bank information in there at all. If your income allows for you to get financial aid, I would go with that. You don't need to disclose your savings account. Or put it in your mom's name for a while.

that's my opinion.
The FAFSA does ask information about saving accounts, etc. I think the safest best is to put the funds in your mom's name / accounts while you attend school.

"There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth; not going all the way and not starting." - Buddha.
#22 of 30 Old 03-03-2008, 03:53 AM
Banned

i did it when i was single. actually, it was the best way to make ends meet, provided i pay back my loans. i'm married now and still in school but am confident i could have paid them back single.

fill out a FAFSA and contact every single women's support organization in your area. some of them have grants etc to help out. you live kinda lean but honestly, if you're going to a brick and morter college you get all sorts of perks like free lunch on campus at least once a week (if you don't mind dining with christian youth groups ) gym membership, etc. also, the school i go to has a childcare facility. there's usually student family housing which is dirt cheep. just put yourself on the wait list as soon as you're enrolled. you probably qualify for grants as well as loans.

call up the financial aid office and see what they can do for you. every state also has a daycare assistance program. i just had to give them my class schedule plus a note from my profs or a copy of the syllabus saying how much out of class time i was expected to spend working. that met their 25 hour a week out of home quota and i was able to get assistance with 60% of the daycare bill.

in the beginning vocational rehab paid for my tuition and supplies. i have a documented disability. if you have nothing against state welfare programs check into it. they seriously gave me a full ride to college because i had been depressed in high school.
#23 of 30 Old 03-09-2008, 09:14 PM

Quote:
I have about 15 College credits from many years ago... Right now I want to go for my associates (probably online) and then decide if I should go on to my Bachelor's.

The problem is that I'm a single mother right now, and I haven't been working since I had ds... which means no real income other than child support. I feel very strongly that I need to go back to school, otherwise I will just be doing the same crappy work as I always have, and that's not acceptable anymore. How can/should I do this? Please help!
Online is a great idea! I found it incredibly helpful to fill out the FAFSA and then when my mini went to bed, spend an hour or so in school. It may be hard at first but try to put yourself and family on a schedule...set bed time and set time to get up... you'll find that if you put children to bed before you you won't feel guilty because you'll spend time with them before bed! Hang in there it is soooooo worth it!
#24 of 30 Old 03-09-2008, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, so I did my fafsa and I got back my expected family contribution. Now, that is how much I have to pay per semester. But where does that money come from? Does that mean that I have to take out loans or what? I dont' get it!
#25 of 30 Old 03-09-2008, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Ok, so I did my fafsa and I got back my expected family contribution. Now, that is how much I have to pay per semester. But where does that money come from? Does that mean that I have to take out loans or what? I dont' get it!
That money comes from grants, scholarships, loans, or your pocket. You don't *have* to take out loans, but you may need to if your aid doesn't cover it and you can't afford it on your own.

Yes, yes.  I'm fabulous. loveeyes.gif  Moving on...

#26 of 30 Old 03-09-2008, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveOhm View Post
The FAFSA does ask information about saving accounts, etc. I think the safest best is to put the funds in your mom's name / accounts while you attend school.
Careful about this - talk to an account/tax lawyer first. If it's above a certain amount, you will likely be taxed when you give it to her, and when she gives it back to you, which could eat into it.
#27 of 30 Old 03-09-2008, 11:35 PM

the school you sent your FAFSA to will send you a letter stating what grants/scholarships you are available to get and there is also a financial aid counseling available at the school. So let's say tuition is $400 per semester plus approx $3-400 for books per semester you will have a cost of $800. If you get the full Pell grant then that is $2000 per semester. You could pay tuition and books and have money left over so then you wouldn't need loans. Community colleges are way cheaper for tuition.
#28 of 30 Old 03-10-2008, 01:15 PM

Your EFC is Estimated Family Contribution, which is what you are expected to pay on your own. Mine is always 0.

"If we are peaceful, if we are happy, we can smile and blossom like a flower, and everyone in our family, our entire society, will benefit from our peace." ~ Thich Nhat Hanh
#29 of 30 Old 10-14-2008, 07:01 PM

bumping for rosadesal!

"There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth; not going all the way and not starting." - Buddha.
#30 of 30 Old 10-15-2008, 08:01 PM

Don't forget to look around for programs for "non-traditional" students.

You might have very good luck at some of the most expensive, private schools in the country. For example, at Smith College, there is the Ada Comstock Scholars program that provides funding and support to older returning-to-school women. (Most women's colleges have something like it- at Mount Holyoke, it's called Frances Perkins.)

Most private schools have a lot of money. I'm a PhD student at a public university, and we just got a very scary e-mail about budget cuts due to recent economic issues.

Don't be afraid to look at the most expensive, out-of-reach schools, because that is where the big endowments and scholarships will be. Apply to as many "non-traditional" programs or schools that won't look at your finances, as possible. Ideally, you want to get in somewhere that will then give you a free ride. As a bonus, something like the Ada Comstock program will support you by connecting you with other people in the same situation (returning to school, broke, also have kids, etc.).

Remember that a dollar of loan will cost you around two dollars to repay, and a dollar of grant/scholarship/bursary/fellowship is a gift.

Which would you rather have? Basically, it means that a $10,000 scholarship is $30,000 cheaper than a $10,000 loan.

Also, remember that with your FAFSA filled out, you might be eligible for reduced or a waiver of application fees - don't know if that applies to undergrads, it does to graduate students, but I don't know the details.

Good luck!

SPBC Finally a Papa! Elise Ember Soleil - 10/3/10 - 4:09 AM - 6 lbs 8 oz My daughter eats donor milk! Human milk for human babies!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page