Nomadic Question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 04-29-2008, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone,
I haven't been on in awhile, months actually, but I have a question that few have been able to help me address and I see no reference to it on the internet.

I am very blessed to recently been gifted a sum of money that would enable me to do the traveling I have always wanted to do. I realize that I am incredibly lucky and also perhaps incredibly selfish for doing this when other's have so little. But I have felt guilty most of my life for doing what I want to do and I am done with all that regretting. I am a nomadic being and have always wanted to live aboard a sailboat and travel the world. I have actually done this, but not on my own boat. I am saving for that eventuality, but I feel I need a partner to do that, so I am thinking for now, air and bus and train roaming.

Has any of you single moms traveled abroad with your LO? When they were really little, like one or two. I would love to hear your stories, recommendations and advice. I am thinking of train travel through Europe, or traipsing through Australia and New Zealand. Then perhaps some more questionable locales, once I have the knack of it. I really don't want to hear anyone who has never traveled, or only traveled from one encapsulated resort to another about how I shouldn't do this-I already get that enough from my parents. I know the risks. But my heart and soul is telling me this is what I need to do, for both my son and I. So I am planning on it. I just want to be informed as much as I can be. TIA.

doula mama to my turtle love, with a who came when he wanted 9/12/09, 33w 5d, NICU strongman!.
#2 of 8 Old 04-29-2008, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have traveled throughout most of Europe, a few places in Eastern Europe and Morrocco with ds...all before he was 17 months. We were living in Europe at the time, which made it more economically feasible for us.

Traveling when children are younger, especially if they are still breastfeeding and can be slung, is very simple. At least, in my experience, it is very simple.

Additionally, my gf traveled throughout SE Asia with her 6 month olds ds for 6 months and loved it.

I say GO FOR IT!!!
#3 of 8 Old 04-30-2008, 01:44 AM

I have never been able to do this, but I would do it in a heartbeat. This has always been my dream. I am so jealous. I say go for it.
#4 of 8 Old 04-30-2008, 02:03 AM

My parents traveled with us as little kids all over Europe.

We went from little tiny hotel to B&B and back. It worked well. They figured as long as the locals have kids - and we acted like locals - then everything would be fine. So we didn't wear 'tourist' clothes or talk very loudly. We were taught to observe how the locals behaved as do the same.

They also learned how to find playgrounds and parks. We also normally didn't travel 2 days in a row.

Personally I would take a small child to a place with alot of diseases. I would want to wait until my child's immune system was more developed.

I've traveled alot. And I really like acting like a local rather than a tourist - I find you get further.
#5 of 8 Old 04-30-2008, 10:51 AM

I'm pregnant with my first, so haven't done it yet, but would definitely travel with my kids! I'm sure you will find lots of naysayers though.

I think there's a travel with kids section on the Lonely Planet forums.
#6 of 8 Old 04-30-2008, 12:25 PM

It's a bit of a different situation, but we lived in Germany from when I was 6 weeks old to 2 years, and my parents toted me all over Europe in a backpack my Dad wore. This was SO exotic back then - people were always taking pictures of the quaint Americans! My Dad was in the Army, and they didn't have much money, so it wasn't super high end travel. They didn't live on base (couldn't b/c my Dad only enlisted for 2, not 3 years) so day-to-day my mom made her way with me in a country where she didn't speak the language, etc. I am NOT comparing this to being a single mom in another country, just talking about some of the practical, logistical stuff she handled by herself. She has some funny stories about getting hopelessly lost trying to go grocery shopping with me, and culture shock stuff.

BTW - don't hang your laundry out in Germany on Sunday. Big no-no. I was cloth diapered and she didn't have a dryer and one Sunday it was sunny for the first time all week, so she did diapers, and the landlady was promptly giving her a talking to and making her take down the diapers. Another time, after she washed her car in the street, in front of the house, the landlady came out and washed the street. Apparently the soap suds were much, much too messy...

Anyway, it was at times tough for my mom, but overall they had fun and certainly explored!
#7 of 8 Old 05-01-2008, 12:11 PM

I've always dreamed about doing that. I would definitely do it if I could.
#8 of 8 Old 05-01-2008, 04:54 PM

i would too...
i live in spain and have traveled quite alot without my ex. plane, train. depending on the age of my son, it was diferent.
i´m now going back home and would love to travel for a while...my son and i...oh i love the way that sounds!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page