single mommy sleep advice. desperate. long! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 08-04-2008, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I really need some advice. I know this may be more appropriate to the Nighttime Parenting forum, but there are a bunch of single mommy issues and emotions tied in, that I prefer to post here, if it's ok.

DS is almost 26 months. He does not sleep more than 2-3 hours at a stretch AT MOST for me. I have been doing this for 26 months. I am exhausted, depleted, beyond tired. I have slept for more than 4 hours straight probably 3 times in the last 2 years. I can't concentrate on anything. I can't even read. I forget important things. I pay bills late. I am tired. Lately it is affecting my patience level and motivation to get out and do fun things with DS. As well as my ability to set consistent and appopriate boundaries and limits. It is affecting my business and ability to make ends meet. This is the most depleted and exhausted I've ever felt.

DS has mainly co-slept. He has a "big boy bed" now (mattress on the floor), which he loves and is excited about. He asks to go in it. Occasionally will ask for mommy's bed instead or ask to move in the middle of the night (both of which I allow if he asks), but I have the strong sense that he is working toward the independence of sleeping in his own bed... that he wants that. Alternately, he may be asking for it because of things his father and his father's wife have told him about co-sleeping. They don't do it. Their baby is 7 months and sleeps all night in a crib and is bottle fed. The 1st time he asked for his own bed, he told me he wanted to "tell A__" (ex's wife).

My problem is the nightwaking. He is insistent upon nursing with every nightwaking. He nurses A LOT all night long, especially in the early morning hours. That, quite honestly, is how I started co-sleeping in the 1st place. It allowed me more sleep by not having to get up all night long. Now he wants to sleep in his bed but still wants/needs (?) me to come in and lie with him and nurse every couple of hours. I am up and down all night long. I'm not that comfy in his bed. I'm even tireder than I was before. I often find myself feeling resentful of the night nursing and very frustrated. And guilty for feeling those things.

Twice in the last couple of months he has essentially spent the night at my parents house. I have dropped him off there so I can go out. They will babysit and put him to bed in their bed and co-sleep with him until I get there, then whenever he wakes, he comes in the guest bed with me. But the last 2x, he hasn't woken and just slept all night through in their bed, not knowing I was there. And was totally fine the next day. Eager to nurse, but happy. So he CAN do it. Interestingly, he has also spent the night with his father 2x recently (in his own bed). He has not slept through there. He is easily comforted when he wakes (so I'm told), but wakes several times and gets up very very early and comes home exhausted. He is supposed to be doing this 1 night every 2 weeks now (but that's a whole other thread!).

SO... I have thought repeatedly about trying to night wean him. Explain to him that "nursies" need to rest too and that he can nurse before bed, but not again until morning. Comfort him in any other way possible other than nursing and see if this eventually will stop the frequent waking. I have asked him if he'd like to try this and he says NO. I don't really believe in pushing kids to do things before they are ready. But I am really struggling. I have realized lately that my exhaustion is on a very deep level. I know he CAN do it. I also know it would be brutal and I'm not sure I'd end up following through. I wouldn't mind so much if it were only 1x/night or so. But all night long is putting me over the edge. And there is SO much stuff wrapped into this:
-every mother's fear of emotionally scarring their child!
-nursing being his special thing with me... probably some undesirable feelings of jealousy and fear of my ex and his wife becoming more important to DS than I am or something totally crazy like that.
-I am dating someone wonderful and special. DS sleeping through or at least better would make that SO much easier... but I am afraid of pushing DS for selfish reasons.
-fear that he will NEVER sleep. Everyone has told me he will gradually sleep more and more. This has not worked for us. He wakes more now than he did as an infant.
-Again... fear of traumatizing him... or forcing him into something before he's ready...
-fear that I'll do it and he won't sleep more anyway but also the thought that maybe this would only be a couple of rough nights and then he will SLEEP. He needs the sleep too.

I feel so mixed up and tired and desperate.

I'm not even certain how coherent I am being so tired. I may come back later to edit. But I have to leave work and want to post this so I don't lose it.

Greatly appreciate any thoughts, advice, btdts... whatever.
Thank you for reading all of this!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 25 Old 08-04-2008, 08:23 PM

just a BTDT-- and still doing it! My ds is 2.5, co-sleeping and wakes 2 or 3x per night for "boobie". Generally the first time he wakes I can say that the boobies need a rest and "more boobie later". 8 out of 10 times he will accept this and roll over to sleep. I didn't know that until I tried it-- previously I just complied right away each time. If he is insistent then I let him nurse. This at least gets me out of one night feed which allows me to build up a bit more supply and have a much needed rest. I would LOVE an uninterupted nights sleep.

Zoe, mama to Thomas 01/07
#3 of 25 Old 08-05-2008, 12:26 AM

For the love of God, wean him. Do what you must do to get sleep, and don't twist yourself into pretzels trying to hit every bullet in the AP handbook. You will not scar him. I have a friend who's had four kids in the last 7 years, and she's been one big milk bar the whole time, but she never has two nursing at once. They're all wonderful healthy kids. Pissed at first when she weaned them, but over it quickly. My dd self-weaned at 3 mo (I'd had breast reduction surgery), and I stopped giving her BM at all at 9 months, when I discovered her immune system was considerably tougher than mine.

26 months is a wonderful run. Now go get sleep. You will not help him by nursing him assiduously and then driving into a telephone pole.
#4 of 25 Old 08-05-2008, 03:04 AM

Another BTDT here... I am still nursing dd2 at night, but I had horrible sleep deprivation with dd1, and I night-weaned her at 11 months (but fully weaned at 33 months). I had horrible insomnia and it was so bad that dd1 was starting to wake up every single hour to nurse and I was going crazy with the lack of sleep. It took three weeks to night wean her at 11 months, and it was not fun, I will be honest. But the sleep I got after that was well worth it, and I was able to function normally again. I was an entirely different person. What I did was just tell her that mama was going 'night-night" baby was going "night-night" and nursing was going "night-night." She cried and cried and I just walked her or rocked her in a rocking chair until she fell asleep. It took three weeks of this, and obviously I didn't sleep those three weeks either, but afterward I was able to nurse her down, and then sleep through until 5:30 am, at which point she'd crawl into bed with me (we had our mattress on the floor and she had a futon on the floor right next to it), and nurse for a couple hours probably, while I dozed. Anyway, it was hard, but it didn't hurt dd1, and the only reason I haven't done it with dd2 is that I can sleep through her nursing, and she doesn't wake up all the time the way dd1 did. I will say though, that considering your ds can sleep through the night without nursing, your process will probably not look anything like what I've described. Not to mention that your ds is much older than my dd1 was at the time of night-weaning, and more able to understand when you tell him in the middle of the night that "nursies" are sleeping too. Of course he will say that he doesn't want to stop night-nursing but maybe you can tell that you're going to do it (night-wean) and that you will be a happier mama when your "nursies" get some sleep at night. Also, this doesn't have to be the end. I nursed dd1 for 22 months more, after I night-weaned her.
#5 of 25 Old 08-05-2008, 03:32 AM

I nightweaned #3 at 21 months. I couldn't hack it any longer. What worked for me isn't an option for you. I plunked her into a crib in the room with her siblings and my then-5-year old told her it was all okay and time to sleep. If your DS is making it through just fine elsewhere, then he'll be okay.

My DD is now 2.5, and she's still quite an avid nurser but not at night. At night, I get 11 peaceful hours to myself. Or kind of to myself. The 4 year old has moved back to my bed but he leaves my boobs alone.

I'd go with nightweaning, personally. It won't scar him for life. It will probably be harder on you than him. Dr. Jay Gordon has some good tips, and I do highly recommend trying the "nursies went nightnight" or whatever your words would be. I tried it, but she wouldn't have any of it, hence the crib (if it'd been a bed, or in my room, which I DID try, she'd scream directly to me, or just get up and climb right back onto me and try to nurse.)

Also, offer a cup of water when he wakes. All of my kids do go to bed with sippy cups of water. Also, can you try to nurse him down on his bed and then get out? Would it help him if he didn't wake up in your bed?

Busy, hectic, HAPPY single mom to 3 awesome kiddos jumpers.gif DD1 (10) DS (8) DD2 (6)

#6 of 25 Old 08-05-2008, 06:43 PM

You will not scar him if you night wean him. I had these same fears, but as ds got older, about the same age as your ds, his nursing at night started to really disrupt my sleep. Until then we co-slept great and I got a lot of sleep...but for some reason when he hit two it got more disruptive. At about 2.5 I decided to night wean him, I was getting no sleep...it was MUCH EASIER than I thought it would be. I just told him that the "boobies" were going to sleep and when the sun came up he could nurse again. I offered to rub his back instead if he woke up. Ironically he seemed to sleep a lot better too after a couple of days. He is 3.5 now and weaned a couple months ago. He starts out in his own bed now and usually, though not always, comes in to my bed early in the morning, about an hour before its time to get up. If you want or need more info feel free to PM me.
#7 of 25 Old 08-05-2008, 11:21 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much, all of you, for your responses and support. I'm very glad I posted here. Your experiences and advice really help. And make me feel much better about how I'm feeling.
Ok... I think I'm going to do it... try to nightwean. I have read Jay Gordon's article. I think I might jump right in and start tomorrow night.

Here's a question. Is there a point at which you give in if he is so completely upset and hysterical? It seems to me that if I'm going to do this, I need to be prepared for that to happen. I really think it might. He's had some doozy tantrums lately. I don't want to teach him that if he screams enough, I'll give in. But if he's that upset, do you think he's not ready? Or do you think he's just 2 and this is what he's used to and wants and he likes to get his way?

I might be on here tomorrow night needing support if it's not going well!!!

Thank you so much for your support. And for understanding the degree of tired!
#8 of 25 Old 08-06-2008, 12:03 AM

He may not be "ready" (meaning he does not want to give it up) but this is something you NEED. You aren't weaning him just because you don't want your boobs to stretch out - you are weaning him because the lack of sleep is seriously affecting your ability to function. I really think that night nursing is a two-way street at this age, either party should have the right to stop it if it is causing serious problems. Look at it this way: you are starting to teach him that his desires/needs may have to come second to other more pressing needs. That is an important lesson he will learn as he grows up.

As for major tantrums, yeah my dd did that when I night weaned. I put her in the car and drove her around until she went to sleep. If you have a car, you might try that.

Good luck!
#9 of 25 Old 08-06-2008, 12:16 AM

DS never had huge tantrums about it, but he did do a fair amount of whining and asking to nurse on the first couple of nights. I had explained to him ahead of time what was going to happen and when he would ask I would just explain to him that when the sun came up he could nurse. He seemed to adjust pretty quickly. Honestly, I have no idea what I would have done had he had full out tantrums, I think I would have had a hard time at first, but I do know that you need to do what is best to keep you healthy, and as Thao said, at this point night nursing is a two way street and your comfort with it is as important as his. I think with ds it was more of a comfortable habit and something that in some ways disrupted his sleep too. He would wake up, search around for a nipple, rousing himself and me wide awake, and then nurse for like 30 seconds until he fell back asleep. Once I replaced the nursing with rubbing his back that is what he asks for when he wakes up, which is really never anymore.

Good Luck Momma, he will be fine, you need to do this for your health and sanity. Come here for support when you need it!
#10 of 25 Old 08-06-2008, 12:19 AM

Honestly, I don't think many children have a physiological need to eat all night. Will he want to give up the night nursing? Most likely not. I think the key for you to remember, so you can remind yourself when you're feeling guilty, is that you are still offering comfort other ways, you are not just abandoning him. You have to preserve your own sanity in order to be an effective, good parent to him, and denying him something he wants while still offering comfort, support, etc. is NOT major trauma, no matter how much he tries to convince you otherwise.

All of that to say that I wouldn't give in, period. I'd look for alternative ways to give him the comfort and closeness he needs without nursing. It might suck for a few nights, but it'll most likely be short term and then you can hopefully start paying off your own sleep debt!
#11 of 25 Old 08-06-2008, 12:23 AM

I night-weaned Sprogly at about 19 months. He got to nurse before going to sleep, and not again until the alarm went off. I just said, "It's night-time, sleepy time," when he'd wake, and hold him. After a few nights of a little crying when he woke, he adjusted, and he was night-weaned. He then went on to nurse until 44 months, at which time I weaned him, because I felt like I was done.

He's nearly 5 and we still co-sleep. He has his own bed, and has even slept in it a few times.

I think you might have a harder time than I did, because he's older, but I think that if you're sympathetic and loving, he'll be fine. Oh, and try a good stick-to-your-ribs snack before bed. My son still needs that in order to sleep well.

Good luck!
#12 of 25 Old 08-06-2008, 12:12 PM

for a while i beat myself up for weaning ds at 20 months. (what kind of crunchy mom can't even go 2 years?? ) i'm way past that now. he adapted to it totally fine- better than i expected- and my PPD was getting worse by the minute, so i know it was the healthiest choice for all of us. he'd wake and sometimes be pretty BS about it but i'd offer him a sippy with soymilk or water and lotsa hugs or rocking. but no boob. really, it only took maybe 5 nights or a week until he was in the clear and once the nightweaning happened, the daytime followed suit. in your case, it might be easier since you're not "breaking" the connection entirely and will still be nursing in the daytime.

i want to give you another for this:
"some undesirable feelings of jealousy and fear of my ex and his wife becoming more important to DS than I am or something totally crazy like that."

it's not crazy. well, maybe a little, but it's totally natural too. the nursing relationship is so strong and amazing that it's hard to envision it being gone. i wouldn't give ds any soymilk for the longest time because i was jealous that he'd start preferring it to my milk! now THAT's crazy. all kids grow up sooner or later, though, and i promise you that the bond you have now will always be there; you'll just find fabulous new ways to express it.

trying to mother my 11yo sweet skaterboy, 4yo stepgirl of the universe, this apocalypse babe-on-the-way, and my 36yo innerkid ...while figuring how to market myself, stay married, and murder my ego
#13 of 25 Old 08-07-2008, 12:08 AM - Thread Starter

OMG, you wonderful mamas have NO idea just how much your words have helped ease my tired, tortured mind!!! It's not just your support... it's that you UNDERSTAND how I'm feeling, the way I try to parent, the guilt and fear, just how exhausted I really am, and don't just think I'm nuts.

So I made a decision and tonight's the night. I talked to DS about it several times today. Told him that nursies are tired and need to sleep at night, when it's dark out, and so do him and I. I told him that he could nurse as much as he wanted before bed, but then nursies were going to sleep until morning and he could nurse again in the morning. He definitely understands. I'm preparing myself for a brutal night. I may even be back here!!! But your words and assurances are SOOOO helpful.

I felt really lousy all day today. I know I need this. I'm off to sleep while I can before he starts waking up.

THANK YOU!!! And wish me luck!
#14 of 25 Old 08-07-2008, 12:17 AM

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Kim, proud CPS mom to Marnie and my 4 legged kids, Jess, Zander, Oliver, Stumpy and Eddie.
#15 of 25 Old 08-07-2008, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

Ok... bbl with more details and a few questions for tonight... BUT... We did it! No nursing from 8pm until 6am this morning.
Few rough patches. About 40 minutes of off and on crying while I held him and walked him around the house and rocked him was the worst of it. Several other shorter episodes. And a regression into my bed instead of the big boy bed, but I kind of expected that.
But all in all not as bad as I thought.

Thank you for your support!!!
#16 of 25 Old 08-07-2008, 12:41 PM

awesome! hope it works well for you guys.

trying to mother my 11yo sweet skaterboy, 4yo stepgirl of the universe, this apocalypse babe-on-the-way, and my 36yo innerkid ...while figuring how to market myself, stay married, and murder my ego
#17 of 25 Old 08-08-2008, 02:50 AM

Yay! Great job! We're hear if you need support to keep up your resolve!
#18 of 25 Old 08-09-2008, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter

Ok... we've done this for 3 nights. Each night has been progressively worse. I am so tired I can't see straight and I feel bloody awful.
AND... DS woke up with a cold today.

I am very tempted to just do whatever tonight. Nurse him when he wants, keep him in my bed, and try to get both of us some sleep. The poor kid os SO stuffy. BUT, that is certainly going to back track us... I imagine I'll be starting from square 1 in a couple of days...

Will probably have to make this decision before I get any replies... but very interested in anyone's thoughts. My own are so muddled. I did get a nap in this afternoon... but I can't begin to tell you how exhausted I am. My whole body hurts. Every morning it is harder and harder to get out of bed and my patience... NOT GOOD!

I don't know if I have it in me to do this tonight... and it feels so mean.

HELP???
#19 of 25 Old 08-09-2008, 11:01 PM

Why not keep him in your bed, but not nurse him?
#20 of 25 Old 08-09-2008, 11:38 PM

robin, my friend who weaned hers before the new babies came along did it slowly and progressively. Nurse a tiny bit, then that's it, boobie away. Let kid throw fit, offer something else. I'll ask about her schedule, since they were all about 2 when she weaned them.

Meanwhile, please take one sick day off and get some sleep. You can't keep on like this.
#21 of 25 Old 08-10-2008, 12:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I had a super duper jog bra that my dc couldn't get into and when nursies were unavailable they went into that bra. I bathed in it and slept in it and they were welcome to bathe or sleep with me but nursies did not come out of it until it was time. If he is sad and needs to be in your bed that's fine but he also needs to learn to respect your body and boundaries as much as you respect his. I hope you feel better soon.
#22 of 25 Old 08-10-2008, 01:26 AM

I would also like to add my bit of praise. It seems like you are being a little hard on yourself. You sound like a wonderful mama; cut yourself a break, pat yourself on the back, and stick with it.
#23 of 25 Old 08-10-2008, 01:56 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you. I'm taking your advice with the "sick day." He woke up a bit ago all hoarse and stuffy. I let him nurse... I felt like it was good for him. It seemed wrong to hold him and let him cry and get more stuffy and exhausted while he's sick and I'm so run down. I might give us a couple nights reprieve and then start again... sigh.
#24 of 25 Old 08-16-2008, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, I am back. You've all been so wonderful. Can I bother you for just a little more support and advice?

I ended up pretty sick myself. So we took a sick week. I explained to him each night that once we were both feeling better we were going to go back to learning how to sleep all night and let the nursies sleep all night. I started again 2 nights ago and it's not been fun. He has actually had a kicking, screaming tantrum both of the last 2 nights around midnight or so. And it's been some crying and fussing a few times after that. I let him nurse at 4am the 1st night and 5 am this morning. Then he is completely attached to my boobs for like 2 hours.

I'm feeling confused and stressed about this. I am very certain that this needs to happen. I've realized how irretreivably run down I am... I cannot continue like this and I don't know any other way to help him to start sleeping all night.

He is getting very possessive of my boobs with the nightweaning. He will ask to "lay on the nursie" and will want to have his hand on one. I have to tell you... it's driving me nuts. Like nails on a chalkboard. And I don't know whether to let him or not. I have been because I feel bad... I'm feeling so sad and sorry to be taking this away from him and he is sad. But I don't know that it's helping... and it feels uncomfortable for me... What do you wise mommies think?

Please tell me this is going to get better!!! Any advice? Just stick with it?

I'm so tired. This is really really hard. On so many levels. I don't know why it's so hard for me.

Thank you.
#25 of 25 Old 08-16-2008, 11:47 PM

robinchap1

Nightweaning for us was hard.

I used the lack of sun coming in from outside as the timeclock.

When Jack, (now almost 4 and still having chi chi went "needed") woke up for chi chi, I got up and gave him some water. Then we snuggled back in and I tickled his back.

It took SEVERAL starts and stops to get to the point where he did not have chi chi in the middle of the night. We still nursed to sleep until about the age of 3, 3.5. (still do if the day is too long) And we had a fairly long nursing session in the morning.

honey needs the computer...brb.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page