WAHM...daycare and single..would you do it? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 08-06-2008, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am a single mama, DP is in MX and cant come here to the states. I am expecting baby #4 in 6 weeks and need an income. I have a 3 y/o and he's never been in daycare. I am a LC and can get a good job at the hospital, but i would have to put 2 in daycare and that would take over half my paycheck. I'm thinking about keeping kids in my house so i can be home with the baby and ds. I'm also thinking to go back to Mexico a few months after baby is born. So i'm not sure if i should take on some children and then when i go back to MX let the parents know then. Or if i should try to find something else to do. I really dont want to put my kids in daycare. Any suggestions or ideas? We are so in need of income right now. I'm living off of credit and it feels awful.

Mami to fly-by-nursing2.gifds 4 wks, ds 2yo, ds 6yo, dd 11yo, ds 17 yo. novaxnoIRC.gifwaterbirth.jpg
#2 of 7 Old 08-06-2008, 05:22 PM

Are you trying to avoid daycare because of the money, or because of a philosophical objection to it? If it's the former, you might be able to get state aid to help pay for it. If it's the latter, maybe a nanny would work? I don't think it sounds realistic, financially, to have what would essentially be a start-up business and then leave it after a few months.
#3 of 7 Old 08-06-2008, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

Daycare....money and the logistics of it. My ds only has vax up till 2 and the new baby will not be vaxed at all. I will be cloth diapering with baby and EBF. So i'm not sure how that would work with daycare. I gues i could find a home daycare. I just feel awful for leaving my babies, even with family...i feel so guilty. I guess it really would only be for a few months anyways, but what if i dont go back to mexico right away. Oh i'm so confused right now. I just want the best for my kiddo's.

Mami to fly-by-nursing2.gifds 4 wks, ds 2yo, ds 6yo, dd 11yo, ds 17 yo. novaxnoIRC.gifwaterbirth.jpg
#4 of 7 Old 08-06-2008, 07:21 PM

Maybe a nanny, then?
#5 of 7 Old 08-06-2008, 11:17 PM

I think your best bet is to see if there is a childcare center at the hospital (most hospitals do have them) or to use a home daycare person to come and watch the baby. Also, since you are an LC, they might let you bring the newborn to work with you for a short amount of time. Have you thought about working for WIC? They might also be willing to let you bring your baby to work with you.

Since you are essentially single right now, and not working, the state should pay for childcare -don't worry about that. A lot of home providers are willing to let you use cloth diapers and overlook the vaxxing thing. I've never had a problem with it for my boys. Most home providers are or were SAH mamas; they will understand your plight and want to help you.

I wouldn't recommend starting up a daycare with a newborn on the way. It's going to be really stressful - you don't need to add more kids to the mix.
#6 of 7 Old 08-07-2008, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter

The hospital that i worked at is so big, i couldnt bring baby with me. WIC is a good idea, i'd have to check on that. A in home day care is a god idea, it would cost less also. I know someone in the neighborhood too. Something to think about.

#7 of 7 Old 08-07-2008, 10:58 AM

I used to be opposed to the idea of day care... now I have come to see that not all are bad. some are ok. This really took me a while to come around to.

If you can get a good job as a LC, then I would do it! You might even be able to bring your new baby to work for a while? I agress with the other posters who said to see if the hospital has a day care in it, tho the waiting list might be long, even still, check it out and if you find it ok, get on the list.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page