A year and a half of turmoil... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 11-02-2008, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm back, after being away for about a year and a half.

Spring of 07 was really hard, and I felt pretty much like my foundation - where I put my feet - was shattered and ground up in to little pieces. I separated from the man I was with - who was becoming increasingly resentful emotionally and verbally and spiking into abusive in those areas - and then my 12 yr old nephew died suddenly, my mom's femur broke while she was doing a training in Saipan, Mom was diagosed with terminal cancer and given a prognosis of 3-5 years but couldn't live on her own anymore, I moved from my beloved island home in Canada to Wenatchee which I am trying very hard to like, (hard to do for me), had to let go of my dream of becoming a Canadian citizen, let go of the private practice I had built there, and start over.

Well, it took a year to do the starting over part and here I am....finally able to notice the blessings and good things:
I am closer to my mom and sister than ever
My daughter is happy again
I had an article published in Mothering - a dream come true!
I am making new friends
I have a new love
I have the energy and motivation to start marketing my practice again.

It's all good.

Thanks for being here, Mothering Folk!

Family Insights: Helping kids and the parents they're raising. 
#2 of 6 Old 11-02-2008, 11:08 PM

So happy to hear that you are doing so well!!

Kim, proud CPS mom to Marnie and my 4 legged kids, Jess, Zander, Oliver, Stumpy and Eddie.
#3 of 6 Old 11-03-2008, 01:47 AM

Sounds like you had some great lessons...you made it through the painful ones, and have learned as a person. What more can we ask for? Blessings, mama
#4 of 6 Old 11-03-2008, 01:50 AM

Kudos to you mama. I am a single mom and I also look back at my life from a year ago and wonder how I turned it around 180 degrees to what it is now. It's funny how life can change like that. Take blessings in all the joys you've earned!!! I truly believe that those who are tested the most have some higher meaning they are living for, some important thing to learn and share...be that compassion or whatever else. Hugs to you.
#5 of 6 Old 11-03-2008, 02:30 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks!

Yeah, there was a time not so long ago that any statement alluding to "everything happens for a reason" made me scream. I was still in the middle of it all, resenting everyone except my daughter - almost 13! - and questioned EVERYTHING I believed was true.

All the spiritual truths that had held me up and guided me in the past meant NOTHING.

Even now I'm remaking my faith. It's changed, as I have. Stronger, lighter, more flexible to be sure. A lot more humble. I have done an overhaul on my friendships which is sort of sad...the relationship and distance geographically from my friends both in Seattle and on Pender caused my ties to suffer. I pulled inward during the bad relationship and now that I'm living in a place where I knew no one, it's all needing to be rebuilt.

Luckily, it can be done! I have new friends, repairing some old ones, my new love (even though he's in Houston, it's the best relationship I've ever had and I'm so happy with him).

I'm still tentative about living in Wenatchee and living with my mom, but that's tolerable.

Anyway...it's nice to feel "back". Thanks for your kudos!

Family Insights: Helping kids and the parents they're raising. 
#6 of 6 Old 11-03-2008, 03:13 AM

good for you mama. the transition period is the hardest but it seems you are doing the best you can. hang in there and focus on the positives in your life.
hugs

single mama to DD 5.09

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page