Waiting 3+ mos to ttc? Wanna start a group thread? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 279 Old 02-04-2009, 07:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
According to The Internet, geritol might help with EWCM.

However, on the same site I found that info, was a paragraph telling me how some study has shown that drinking half a cup or more (like 4 cups? 8? no idea) of caffeinated tea [some places say green tea only, others don't ] approximately doubled odds of conception each cycle. But everything else I have read has said to cut out caffeine. So...what do I do? Compromise with 1/2 cup of weak coffee in the morning, and stick to nettle and RRL tea the rest of the time? Drink green tea in the morning? Obsess pointlessly about things most people don't ever think about?

Being in the moment is good. I'll work on that more. Someday I'll probably want these few months back, or at least be a little sad I didn't enjoy them more.

Bicycle-ridin', craftin', bloggin' feminist future mama to my starbabies dum spiro spero
#62 of 279 Old 02-05-2009, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

It is tough when advice contradicts other advice! I would not go with coffee in the morning if you already don't drink it. We were told at our "introduction to lesbian fertility" seminar that there is something in the coffee bean that hinders fertility, whether it's caffeinated or not, so I would skip that one. Is there a way to do green tea mixed with RRL or nettle? That's what I would do!

K, H, and baby E (who is now three!!!)
#63 of 279 Old 02-08-2009, 04:07 PM

I have not tried acupuncture, but I have thought about it before. I think I would totally love it.

Osker -- how did you find a lesbian fertility seminar?? That would be SO cool. I would love to go to one!

I am having so much trouble waiting till April!! It is getting harder the closer we get. I am so ready to start trying!
#64 of 279 Old 02-08-2009, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter

We have a great health center here that serves pretty much only the LGBT community. They do AI and have support groups and info seminars for lesbians. It's pretty awesome!

#65 of 279 Old 02-08-2009, 10:15 PM

That is so cool. I am way jealous!
#66 of 279 Old 02-09-2009, 12:17 PM

MA sounds so good. I keep trying to convince DP to move there. Then I remember it's cold. :

I've been reading/doing yoga from Fully Fertile still and trying to keep up with the weekly instructions. I'm taking them two weeks at a time these days. I went to have blood work done this morning and, for the first time to a stranger (the nurse) said that I'm starting to try to get pregnant. It was a weird thing to say - even though I've been thinking (obsessively) about it for nearly a year now, and talking to my friends/internet people about it, saying it out loud to a stranger who was going to do prenatal blood tests was pretty neat.

I'm trying to figure out exactly how long my luteal phase is/about what day I O, so in addition to charting this month I'm peeing on OPKs. I fear I'm turning myself into a science project.

Bicycle-ridin', craftin', bloggin' feminist future mama to my starbabies dum spiro spero
#67 of 279 Old 02-09-2009, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Kittenanny it sounds like you're really moving forward! We know someone on another chat board who charted obsessively with OPKs and temps for six months before their first try... and then got pregnant on the first try!!!
THEN.... when they went to try with the wife they did the same temps and OPKs for six months... and got pregnant on the first try again!!!
Two AI tries for two babies! (Don't we all wish!)

What kind of OPKs are you using?

#68 of 279 Old 02-10-2009, 07:24 AM

I'm just using some internet cheapies from a website called (get this) babymad.com. Here's hoping I get some of that first try luck too!

I saw on your other post, Osker, that y'all are starting this cycle! : I'm really happy for you and your partner - especially for her that you're this excited about it. My lovely and amazing DP is still not horribly excited. He's not opposed, just not totally obsessed with babies like I am. He's still pretty freaked out. I wish he was baby-crazy like you!

In other news, I think I picked a bank last night.

#69 of 279 Old 02-14-2009, 05:18 PM

Yay osker!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is it moving along SO FAST for everyone else? Or just me? I have a kinda short LP and I was thinking about it this morning -- I only have two move cycles before we start trying, so I better get on it if I'm going to do anything about it! Holy cow!

A question -- so the rest of you have others that you are close with in your life going through this, or with kids? As it gets closer for us, I realize that none of our friends here have kids or want them, and I'm getting sad thinking about how much our relationships will change. And we don't know anyone who is trying, so I think i'm feeling kind of isolated. Like I'm making this choice that's going to push friends away just because baby-stuff is so comsuming, esp once they are here.

Anyone have any words of wisdom about changing relationships in this way?

xo

Me + DP + 2 rescue lap dogs = True Love Always
#70 of 279 Old 02-15-2009, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milletpuff View Post
Yay osker!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is it moving along SO FAST for everyone else? Or just me? I have a kinda short LP and I was thinking about it this morning -- I only have two move cycles before we start trying, so I better get on it if I'm going to do anything about it! Holy cow!

A question -- so the rest of you have others that you are close with in your life going through this, or with kids? As it gets closer for us, I realize that none of our friends here have kids or want them, and I'm getting sad thinking about how much our relationships will change. And we don't know anyone who is trying, so I think i'm feeling kind of isolated. Like I'm making this choice that's going to push friends away just because baby-stuff is so comsuming, esp once they are here.

Anyone have any words of wisdom about changing relationships in this way?

xo
Best of luck to those of you who are going to start ttc soon. As for us, we have over 7 months left to wait. And yes, tracking your cycles for 6+ months can help - at least you'll know your body and when to inseminate. But don't get your hopes up for that first time luck. We charted for over a YEAR and all but one of our cycles had great timing and lots of fresh sperm, but it still took 8 cycles. So, don't be too disappointed if it doesn't work right away.

As for changing relationships, you're right that they will, especially with your childless friends. It has for us very much so. The friends that it hasn't changed that much with are the ones who recognize that change we've gone though and are willing to do things to make get-togethers easier for us, not them. For instance, our relationship with KD and his BF in terms of how often we see each other hasn't really changed much at all because of having a baby (it has changed due to some unrelated circumstances). They make a lot of effort to come to our house, to eat here instead of going out when DS wasn't up for going out, etc. But friends who don't make that effort will be harder to have around.

I would highly recommend that once you have a baby, that you have a support system in place, not just in terms of your current friends/family but also new parent support groups, etc, where you can meet others going through the same thing. This is true for pregnancy too if you can find it.

Megan-39, Postpartum Doula, DW to Sacha-40 (18 years together) and Mama to Finn Alexander born 4/2/07 and Zivia Littlewood born 8/23/10

#71 of 279 Old 02-15-2009, 06:59 PM

Yeah, that's what we're trying to get in place now. I know how important it is, and I think I am feeling particularly vulnerable because we only moved here 2 years ago and have yet to really establish the kind of friendships that weather those changes well.

Plus I'm so shy! Ack. But, we have dedicated every thursday to "baby day" and part of the time we spend is seeking out new support and friendships. Maybe it's particularly hard coming on the heels of the changes that happened with old friend back in CA once we moved here.

Me + DP + 2 rescue lap dogs = True Love Always
#72 of 279 Old 02-15-2009, 07:57 PM

millett, it's good to work on that support network now but you'll also meet lots of new parents after you become one and they will provide a lot of the support you need...some may end up being real friends in the end too.

Megan-39, Postpartum Doula, DW to Sacha-40 (18 years together) and Mama to Finn Alexander born 4/2/07 and Zivia Littlewood born 8/23/10

#73 of 279 Old 02-16-2009, 12:48 PM

i really found that once we had DS new parent friends came out of the wood work - so to speak. i connected with as many mom and baby groups i coudl find and then figured out which ones i liked and committed to them. it's really been wonderful to meet so many new people and to have little friends for DS.

as for changing relationships....it does. my best friend from for ever still calls me up and asks us to come visit and go out to see music. and when i tell her that would be a lot of fun but i don't think taking Eli along would be a good idea she's like: "oh is that too late for him?" yes, too late, too loud, too not a baby scene!!!! ugh... maybe she thinks we can just leave him home with my parents, but he's still nursing and not STTN, so that is a no go!

Eryn, wife to Amy, Mum to Eli, b. 1/9/08 and Willow, b. 5/29/10
#74 of 279 Old 02-19-2009, 03:58 PM

I'm not really sure how relationships with friends will change. I have only one good friend here, and he lives with us. He'll still live with us when the baby arrives (provided it's in the next 2 years, which it better be) and will help out with the baby as an uncle figure. I've got him reading books already.

Things with us have both started rolling and been pushed back another 3 months or so. We had our first consultation visit at the clinic on Monday. They did scans and all sorts of things. Apparently my ovaries are producing 12 or so follicles a month and everything is looking in order. We went through our possible plans with the doctor, and have voted out IUI right now because it's too expensive for the probability. DP feels like if we're gambling with G-d, we might as well go for the method where we have the highest chance.

So we're left with two viable options right now: (1) I participate in the egg-sharing program, where I go on IVF drugs and donate half my eggs (I get the other half). I then get IVF treatment for free (and I get a warm fuzzy feeling for helping out someone else who wants a baby). (2) DP and I BOTH sign up for the egg-share program. I get half DP's eggs, and the other half gets donated. My eggs are also harvested, and half are frozen for later. The other half are donated. We pay nothing but the cost of two lots of sperm and egg freezing, and are all ready for FET next go around.

There's a third option, but we'd need to borrow money/hold a benefit party/win the lottery: I do nothing but take meds to regulate my cycle in line with DP. He donates half his eggs and gives me the other half. We pay £3000 and get a warm fuzzy feeling.

I don't really know what to do. I'm a little sad that there's going to be so many medical interventions, and in all honesty, I'm a little scared of it all. Injections? Needles up my hoo-ha? DP really, really wants me to use his eggs at least for our first pregnancy, but it seems difficult. I don't want to wait until the next time around because he might have made different decisions re: transition by then, which could make using his eggs harder.

Opinions on our options, anyone?

On the up side, my formerly ambivalent DP is ready to be a papa. : He's still super freaked out about the responsibility of it all, but is getting very involved.

#75 of 279 Old 02-21-2009, 12:28 PM

Hey everyone!

I'm haven't read all of the messages but I'm also waiting to TTC. I'm probably going to start the process in about 18 months. In the meantime, I'm trying to educate myself about LGBT parenting but the only LGBT books in my library are sex books for gay men .

ETA: I saw the resources sections and most of the books listed my library doesn't have so it looks like I'm going to have to buy them instead...
#76 of 279 Old 02-22-2009, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Kittenanny, I would totally go with option two, that sounds awesome! DW and I would definitely do that if we could afford it and didn't have so many regulations around IVF here (you have to prove having tried for a year first).

How exciting!!!

#77 of 279 Old 02-22-2009, 03:31 PM

Welcome, Sohmakun! I see you're from the ATL. I : me some Atlanta! Depending on the library you're nearest to, you might be able to request they buy the books. It's always worth a try. Any chance you have connections to Agnes Scott?

Today is CD1 for DP (a total surprise, since he hasn't ever paid attention to when his body does things) so I'm packing him off for CD2-4 bloodwork on Tuesday, and calling up the clinic to make a consultation appointment for him to get scanned. We're definitely leaning more towards our 'option two' (both donating eggs, and me carrying his eggs) but don't want to get our hearts set on it till we know things are functioning properly.

#78 of 279 Old 02-23-2009, 04:52 PM

hey all, Im not sure if Im in the right place but I got directed over here from the ttc forum. Im a single mom using AI and no one knows the tricks of the trade for AI over there. I have been TTC with AI for 3 months with no luck and going on #4. My question is do I wait to do AI before or after I get a pos OPK test. I have been doing AI like the day I get a positive and about 2 days after. I dont have the option of doing AI more than twice a month... is this pretty good for my chances?

BFPChart2.gif

#79 of 279 Old 02-25-2009, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knittinanny View Post
Welcome, Sohmakun! I see you're from the ATL. I : me some Atlanta! Depending on the library you're nearest to, you might be able to request they buy the books. It's always worth a try. Any chance you have connections to Agnes Scott?

Today is CD1 for DP (a total surprise, since he hasn't ever paid attention to when his body does things) so I'm packing him off for CD2-4 bloodwork on Tuesday, and calling up the clinic to make a consultation appointment for him to get scanned. We're definitely leaning more towards our 'option two' (both donating eggs, and me carrying his eggs) but don't want to get our hearts set on it till we know things are functioning properly.
Thanks knittinanny for the welcome!

Actually, my ex-girlfriend went to Agnes Scott to study chemistry before she transfered to another school in San Francisco (where I was living at the time).
#80 of 279 Old 02-25-2009, 06:26 PM

Hi everyone!

Just an update here:

I'm still recovering from knee surgery. It's coming along on schedule, for the most part.

My wife and I decided just last weekend that we are going to start TTC THIS SUMMER!!!!!! The previous plan was to start in two years, so this is a big change! :::::

Now comes the really getting ready. We're both going to try to lose a few (ok, more than a few) pounds before this summer and I'll be concentrating a lot more on the fertility plan.

How's everyone else doing?

Beth- WOHM slinggirl.gif  -Madly in love with my Wife- SAHMhola.gifandbabyf.gifSophia, born 11/2/10, at home! homebirth.jpgExpressing love, one ounce at a time!  1pump.gif

#81 of 279 Old 02-26-2009, 12:15 AM

Monarchgrrl, that's exciting news! I just heard a rumor that our KD may possibly be back in town mid-summer instead of early fall, which would mean we could maybe start ttc a couple months earlier. Not getting my hopes up too far because it may not happen. But, I guess that means I better get more serious about some weight loss and finding a prenatal to start taking.

#82 of 279 Old 04-09-2009, 02:08 PM

I think some of the folks in this thread originally have moved on to TTC ( but there are some of us who are still around. I'm having to wait a bit longer than I expected, and I'd like to re-start this space for those of us who are still waiting to be ready for whatever reason.

Where we're at:

We've had all our tests done and have been deemed fully fertile. I will be carrying DP's eggs, and at the same time DP will be donating 1/2 of his eggs to a woman (or man, I suppose) in need. They harvest 10 or so eggs during the cycle, and I get half. We had also hoped I could participate in a stimulated cycle at the same time, harvesting my eggs, fertilizing and freezing half and donating half to another person in need. This would have cut our costs down to just sperm and freezing, which is a totally manageable amount. Unfortunately the ethics board voted it out (too difficut to successfully manage that many people's cycles at once), so I will just be receiving eggs from DP and using my own later on.

The upside of this is no stimulation and ovary-poking for me. The downside is that we now have to come up with about £3000 before we can start, which is much more than we had planned for. At this point everything's on hold till we come up with the cash, and then it could be a 2-3 month wait until we're matched up with an egg donor recipient.

I was so ready to start. I had stopped drinking caffeine, was doing fertility yoga every night, meditating, etc etc. I've started acupuncture and changed my diet even more. I was taking supplements, prenatals, all that. Now it seems kind of futile since we don't know when we'll be able to get started. On top of that, we have to figure out how the heck to get that much money together without it taking ages and ages. And what happens if we need more than one try? That's another £3000! :

So that's us. How is everyone else?

#83 of 279 Old 04-09-2009, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Kittenanny, I'm sorry that the road seems longer than you had thought. But how exciting to have tests done and be deemed fully fertile! Yay!

One thing I've learned about this journey is that you never know where the road will take you... maybe tomorrow you'll find a duffle bag on the street full of thousands of pounds and you'll be ready to go!! You never know...

for the delay... no fun at all!

#84 of 279 Old 04-11-2009, 12:22 AM

I'm glad you guys revived this thread because I didn't know it existed!

I'm approximately 8 to 12 months from TTC. It all depends on my body. I have PCOS and I'm aggressively trying to eat right, exercise, yoga, lose weight, etc. So far, I've lost 20 pounds and I think to have a truly healthy pregnancy, I should probably lose at least 50 more. However, if by some miracle I start to cycle before I lose another 50, I may have to re-evaluate my plan. If I do cycle, there's no guarantee that it will continue so I guess we'll have to see.

Does anyone else here have PCOS -- but wasn't diagnosed until later (20's?)? I had a regular period from the very first at age 11, until I went on birth control pills at 18. When I got off of them at age 23, I had a HUGE dermoid cyst and stopped cycling all together. I'm convinced the BCP did this.

Anyway, I'm at the moment planning to be a SMBC, but not alone.

I'm so happy this thread is here! I never felt like I quite fit in the other threads.:

I was trying to approach this from a Tradition Chinese Medicine plan, but at $200.00 a month for custom herbs, I just can't afford it.

So, I just bought 3 months worth of FertilAID, FertileCM, and FertiliTea and am hoping that it will be enough combined with additional anticipated weight loss. If not, it's another thing I will have to re-address when the time comes. : This is the first cycle I started temping -- it's 60 days long so far, but it's the first cycle since I got off of the BCP and Metformin for the PCOS. I've got a long road ahead, so it will be nice to have some company!

Me36), PCOS -  IUI#1 post HSG w/50mg clomid & trigger 7/25/12: BFN  & med break for cyst IUI#2  9-9-12 BFN IUI#3 10-2013 BFN  IUI#4  2-18-13 same meds, new donor BFN, IUI#5 6/1/13 100mg clomid trigger, BFN,  IUI#6 TBD 8-2013 GONAL-F and trigger blogging.jpgdog2.gifcat.gifcat.gif

#85 of 279 Old 04-11-2009, 10:50 AM

Oh and one more thing... someone asked about acupuncture. I know it can be expensive, but check your area for a "community" acupuncture.

Community Acupuncture is offered on a sliding scale, the place near me charges $15 to $35 depending on what you can afford.

Me36), PCOS -  IUI#1 post HSG w/50mg clomid & trigger 7/25/12: BFN  & med break for cyst IUI#2  9-9-12 BFN IUI#3 10-2013 BFN  IUI#4  2-18-13 same meds, new donor BFN, IUI#5 6/1/13 100mg clomid trigger, BFN,  IUI#6 TBD 8-2013 GONAL-F and trigger blogging.jpgdog2.gifcat.gifcat.gif

#86 of 279 Old 04-11-2009, 06:22 PM

Jenny: Welcome to the thread! I don't know much about PCOS. My best friend was diagnosed with it about 2 years ago (at age 25). Her periods had been regular for years, but with lots of pain. She went on BCP for some reason (it was either to try and regulate the pain, or had something to do with her mental health medications...I can't remember) and after she came off the BCPs she didn't have a period for at least 6-7 months. It was all very weird.

I'm also trying out some TCM/acupuncture, but the herbs are both gross and expensive, so I've been skipping those. I really believe in the acupuncture though. I started off going to improve my fertility, but the acupuncturist has also been addressing my anxiety/OCD since I stopped taking meds to get ready for TTC. It helps in a way nothing else has. But it's awfully expensive, for sure.

Osker: I saw your post on the queer conceptions thread. I'm so sorry. It will happen for you guys! It will!

#87 of 279 Old 04-13-2009, 11:41 PM

Just wanted to pop-in and say hi. I really enjoyed this thread a lot, even though I didn't post as much as I had hoped to.

I guess I've "graduated" from here... we should start TTC in about 3 weeks.
#88 of 279 Old 04-14-2009, 12:14 AM

Great news Courtney! Does the wait go by quickly?? From this side of the wait, it looks like it's going to be unending!

Good luck and keep us posted!

#89 of 279 Old 04-14-2009, 12:19 AM

Oops, wrong forum!

Mom of two boys (7/05 and 2/09)
#90 of 279 Old 04-14-2009, 03:53 AM

Smurf! That's awesome! : May TTC take much much less time than your wait to start!

What is everyone reading? I'm about to start my second go-around of Fully Fertile in hopes that it will inspire me to start doing yoga again.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page