Waiting 3+ mos to ttc? Wanna start a group thread? - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 279 Old 09-14-2009, 10:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, can I join too? We will be trying for DC #2 wherever ovulation hits in early January. I've started temping again and have been monitoring CM and whatnot. Also, REALLY working on the food/weight thing, as I also started tracking my blood sugar numbers. I had GD with DD and I think Type II is hitting...:sigh I have a doc appt on the 12th of Oct with a new primary, so hopefully I can get the ball rolling with that.

It's amazing how the getting ready to TTC can be as stressful as the TTC part...you want everything to be so perfect so it TAKES on the first few rounds, ya know?

Hope all is well,
Samantha

Samantha, married to Holly for over five years . DD #1 born 12/13/06 , DD #2 born 8/18/10 and 2 furballs of indeterminate age.
#122 of 279 Old 09-14-2009, 10:51 PM

Welcome Samantha! :

Growing up, I never imagined it would be so difficult to have a baby. It seems like we drive ourselves crazy focusing on every minute detail. It does make you a little insane after awhile.

I'm so excited for all of this new activity and for all of the new members!

woot!

Me36), PCOS -  IUI#1 post HSG w/50mg clomid & trigger 7/25/12: BFN  & med break for cyst IUI#2  9-9-12 BFN IUI#3 10-2013 BFN  IUI#4  2-18-13 same meds, new donor BFN, IUI#5 6/1/13 100mg clomid trigger, BFN,  IUI#6 TBD 8-2013 GONAL-F and trigger blogging.jpgdog2.gifcat.gifcat.gif

#123 of 279 Old 09-16-2009, 03:22 PM

hello all! how's everyone doing?? staying on track, i hope.

afm, i am doing great so far with SparkPeople... this is my 4th day. i know, it hasn't been that long, but i still have high hopes! i have an appt today with a NP (who happens to be DP's long time family friend), i hope to get her to say that we've been TTC for a year now, because my insurance is great for infertility but you have to have been trying for at least a year. i really don't want any intervention, but i have had some irregularities. i have had two anovulatory/late O cycles in the last 6 months. i also went about 2 years without AF but that started 5 years ago. i am wondering if there is something to it so i would like to have some tests to see if something is up. idk... i keep going back and forth on this medical intervention stuff... i want it to be as "natural" as possible for sake of ease and cost. but i also don't want to waste a years time and money on trying if something is wrong, ya know?! (and i'm sure most of you understand that )

DP and I  rainbow1284.gif together since 2001, brokenheart.gif 4/10,  pos.gif 7/10
DS - planned h20homebirth.gif born via ribboncesarean.gif 4/4/2011
)O( treehugger.gif nocirc.gif winner.jpg cd.gif greenthumb.gif earth.gif whale.gif
#124 of 279 Old 09-16-2009, 05:29 PM

JustAnotherJenny - seriously, it really can make you bananas. But at least there are all of you waiting to TTC too, so I'm not sitting in a corner drooling all by myself

wehrli - Sparkpeople is awesome; I lost a good 17 lbs with them last year when I had the motivation (we were going to TTC much, much earlier than now). The only reason why I'm not still with them is that it really isn't set up to monitor sugars as well as calories/fat/etc.

Interestingly enough, following the "diabetic diet" and getting comfy with a treadmill, I'm down six lbs...many, many more to go, but I'm thrilled since when I started trying to lose weight in July, absolutely nothing was moving. Not inches, not pounds, nothing. Here's to hoping for more, yeah?

I purchased the "internet cheapies" OPK's for the first time. They arrived on Saturday and I started them at like 11pm that night after I got home from work. It took me until Monday to recognize that I had a positive on that first stick...LMAO! I kept pulling them all out of the trash (TMI) because I wasn't sure what was going on! (I'm used to the uber-expensive CBE digitals, but alas the Flexplan is being difficult and it wasn't worth the hassle.) Looks like my O decided to come early this month, just in time for temping, etc.

Four AF's to go...woot!

Samantha

Samantha, married to Holly for over five years . DD #1 born 12/13/06 , DD #2 born 8/18/10 and 2 furballs of indeterminate age.
#125 of 279 Old 09-16-2009, 05:52 PM

Samantha, where did you purchase your "internet cheapie" OPKs? I could use some cheap ones for sure!

Megan-39, Postpartum Doula, DW to Sacha-40 (18 years together) and Mama to Finn Alexander born 4/2/07 and Zivia Littlewood born 8/23/10

#126 of 279 Old 09-16-2009, 08:55 PM

Megan - http://www.early-pregnancy-tests.com/

I got their value package #3 which has 50 OPK strips and 15 pregnancy tests for $35. I don't need the preg tests yet, of course, but I could see using 50 OPK's between now and January and it was cheaper than purchasing them a la carte. I also added a couple of urine collection cups (found on the same page as the OPK's) because you can't pee directly on the strips.

HTH!
Samantha

ETA: They also sell preseed on there, which we'll probably take advantage of later on..

#127 of 279 Old 09-16-2009, 10:58 PM

That site is great! I usually buy 50 OPK's at a time because it's the best rate. Let's just say, I'm on my 3rd order and my aim is SPOT ON!

Make sure you look for a coupon online, they ALWAYS have one -- usually 10% off. I have noticed an uptick in defective ones this last batch, so make sure you check to make sure it's working before you empty our bladder. I think I missed my LH surge this time :. Good thing I wasn't counting on it. Usually they are just fine. I actually think I over saturated it... and that possibly it wasn't defective at all.

They have two formats in stream and other REALLY super cheap ones that are a dip stick format. I use midstream ones because I have to test at work.

I understand about you pulling them out of the garbage mkpgoddess. Until you get used to reading them, they can be a little subject to interpretation. I recommend starting to test a little earlier so you can get a feel. Mine get progressively darker and then progressively lighter after the surge. So, you'll start to see what's normal for you. I also found that my surge is pretty much at 12:30 in the afternoon. I had a very positive at that time of day, and then by 7:00pm it was gone. I make sure that I test at the same exact time every day. To be clear, normal people do not need to test every day. I test nearly every day so I know what is going on with my body. I only take a few days off after I get a positive and then I start again. If only I would bleed, I'd save so much money!

Me36), PCOS -  IUI#1 post HSG w/50mg clomid & trigger 7/25/12: BFN  & med break for cyst IUI#2  9-9-12 BFN IUI#3 10-2013 BFN  IUI#4  2-18-13 same meds, new donor BFN, IUI#5 6/1/13 100mg clomid trigger, BFN,  IUI#6 TBD 8-2013 GONAL-F and trigger blogging.jpgdog2.gifcat.gifcat.gif

#128 of 279 Old 09-16-2009, 10:59 PM

knitti... I'm worried about you. I hope you're doing okay.

#129 of 279 Old 09-17-2009, 04:19 AM

JustAnotherJenny - glad you are familiar with the site! Normally I would definitely start sooner...like the day after AF stopped! But, time got away from us and then it took longer to get here than I expected. Oh well, like you, fortunately I didn't need to really know this month. I went with dipstick ones just due to cost. Good to know about the coupon!!!

"...if only I would bleed" ??? Is that due to the PCOS?

Samantha

#130 of 279 Old 09-17-2009, 08:48 AM

Oh yes, PCOS is gripping me HARD over here. I got off of BCP and had my last cycle in February. I've been waiting for it to come back... I know I have it in me. I had PERFECT periods before I went on the pill about 10 years ago (because I thought I was straight --oops). From there, began a slow decline into my cycle getting REALLY messed up.

I ended up getting a dermoid cyst the size of a grapefruit on my left ovary. It was so large that it invaded half of my left ovary. So now, I'm operating on roughly 1.33333 ovaries. Shortly after having that removed, I regained a few cycles, but the doctor put me back on BCP because she then diagnosed me with PCOS. I guess both of my ovaries were enlarged and cystic.

#131 of 279 Old 09-17-2009, 09:55 AM

mkp, the "diabetic diet"... are you just refering to no sugar, no carbs as a diabetic would? is it just in case you are diabetic? you mention having GD with your last pg... do you monitor blood sugar, too?

jenny, thanks for all the info... i will be picking your brain about PCOS soon, i think... (see my update below)

knitti, i am wondering about you, too... i hope all is well...

afm, i went to the doc yesterday... she suspects PCOS... but i guess a diagnosis would be good in the way of getting treated before we dump a ton more $$ on sperm... she ordered b/w for FSH, LH, Estradiol, Progesterone, Prolactin, and Glucose. i will know these results fri...

DP and I  rainbow1284.gif together since 2001, brokenheart.gif 4/10,  pos.gif 7/10
)O( treehugger.gif nocirc.gif winner.jpg cd.gif greenthumb.gif earth.gif whale.gif
#132 of 279 Old 09-17-2009, 11:23 AM

It just never gets to be easy does it...bad enough that we don't have sperm on tap (which, admittedly is usually a good thing, but well...), but then our bodies have to "turn" on us too...

Jenny - good glory, I'm so sorry you've had to deal with all that. I would think, however, they would want to stimulate your cycle in the hopes of your body getting it?

Wehrli - With GD, you become a higher risk for Type II. When we decided to get ready to TTC, I was trying to lose weight. When absolutey.nothing.happened. I started re-monitoring my blood sugars and found my fasting to be high and my post-meals to be fine as long as I didn't eat Chinese or pizza...lol. Since then, I've been on high(er) protein, low(er) carbs and it seems to be working for me although I'm still not getting my fasting under control Here's to hoping that your testing all comes up neg and you are given the green light!!!

Samantha

#133 of 279 Old 09-17-2009, 11:46 AM

Hey everyone, thanks for the concern. Things are still pretty nuts here. I'm just so, so tired. I'm tired of arguing, tired of being sad, tired of being tired since I can't sleep well. I really believe that DP and I will make it through this and will probably be better for it, but at the same time...sigh. I don't know. It doesn't seem like being nice to me and loving me and wanting to have a family is that much to ask, y'know? Only time will tell. I'm going to stick it out and keep praying and practicing deep listening with DP for a while longer and see how things go.

It's hard to get in any sort of gear for TTC because I have no idea what the time frame looks like any more. In May I thought we'd have our first try in July or August, and I was all ready for that. But now even trying to get myself in better shape for TTC just hurts. Looking at the books hurts. We were so close to trying. But I believe that in not too long we'll be back at that place again.

It's worth posting on freecycle asking for OPKs - I got a bag of about 30 of them several months ago from someone who bought a ton and only needed a few. They were all still in date and worked fine.

Jenny - I read the story on your blog about your nekkid acupuncture experience and tried to comment, but couldn't make it work. Your story totally made my day. I've now started saying of people who are partially or potentially undressed that they're 'ready for some acupuncture'. Ew.

Bicycle-ridin', craftin', bloggin' feminist future mama to my starbabies dum spiro spero
#134 of 279 Old 09-17-2009, 02:55 PM

knittinanny. I hope things work out.

All this talk about OPK's has me stressing. Are they really necessary for everyone to use before insem? Or just if cycles are irregular? I have perfectly regular cycles and my charting is going beautifully. Should I also be using OPK's? Will I most likely need them when TTC?

Beth- WOHM slinggirl.gif  -Madly in love with my Wife- SAHMhola.gifandbabyf.gifSophia, born 11/2/10, at home! homebirth.jpgExpressing love, one ounce at a time!  1pump.gif

#135 of 279 Old 09-17-2009, 03:36 PM

knitti Your story sounds really familiar...we've been on and off getting ready to TTC for almost two years. It will get better and if both of you want children, you will return to TTC. Thoughts with you.

Beth - you don't NEED OPK's by any means, especially if your cycles are like clockwork. Tell you though, with TTC for DD#1, thank heavens for OPK's the month we tried because we weren't planning for it to take and I got a + OPK the DAY the sperm arrived! I think they just let you know you are about to ovulate while your temps tell you that you just did...if that makes sense. Maybe have a box the month that you are trying just to confirm?

Just got back from the pediatrician...DD needed her preschool forms filled out and it was a new doctor. Who knew we'd be there for shots and bloodwork too?? We BOTH need a nap!!

Samantha

#136 of 279 Old 09-17-2009, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monarchgrrl View Post
knittinanny. I hope things work out.

All this talk about OPK's has me stressing. Are they really necessary for everyone to use before insem? Or just if cycles are irregular? I have perfectly regular cycles and my charting is going beautifully. Should I also be using OPK's? Will I most likely need them when TTC?
Of course you don't have to use them, but they are a tool to tell you that you are going to ovulate in the next 24-36 hours, whereas charting and your temps rising tell you after the fact. I would recommend them because even if you have a very regular cycle, it could get wonky from the stress of ttc...not unusual. And, if you are using frozen sperm (not sure what you're using), the timing needs to be much more precise. I would recommend using them at least one cycle before ttc to figure out how they work and how well your surge shows up on them. Using them on your first ttc cycle could be really stress inducing I would think.

Megan-39, Postpartum Doula, DW to Sacha-40 (18 years together) and Mama to Finn Alexander born 4/2/07 and Zivia Littlewood born 8/23/10

#137 of 279 Old 09-17-2009, 05:46 PM

Thanks for explaining, Megan and Samantha! That makes perfect sense! I think I'll order some and try it out.

Beth- WOHM slinggirl.gif  -Madly in love with my Wife- SAHMhola.gifandbabyf.gifSophia, born 11/2/10, at home! homebirth.jpgExpressing love, one ounce at a time!  1pump.gif

#138 of 279 Old 09-18-2009, 01:07 PM

Quote:
knittinanny said:
Jenny - I read the story on your blog about your nekkid acupuncture experience and tried to comment, but couldn't make it work. Your story totally made my day. I've now started saying of people who are partially or potentially undressed that they're 'ready for some acupuncture'. Ew.
Knitti, that is TOO FUNNY. I'm so sad you weren't able to post that as a real comment.

Quote:
mkpgoddess

Jenny - good glory, I'm so sorry you've had to deal with all that. I would think, however, they would want to stimulate your cycle in the hopes of your body getting it?
Thanks! I am actually holding off on doing that right now. My doctor would want to stimulate a cycle with provera. I'm waiting a little longer before I do that because I'm hesitant to put more artificial hormones in my body. After all, that's how I got myself into this situation. I am going to acupuncture twice a week and taking herbs. Lots of people have had success in restoring and regulating cycles with this approach. I'm trying to give my body the opportunity to find its way back.

Quote:
wehrli
jenny, thanks for all the info... i will be picking your brain about PCOS soon, i think...
Ask away! I think there are a couple of us on this thread that have PCOS.

#139 of 279 Old 09-19-2009, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherJenny View Post
Ask away! I think there are a couple of us on this thread that have PCOS.
::raises hand::

#140 of 279 Old 09-19-2009, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter

Hey guys, I'm so excited that this little group has gotten more active lately. Can I throw back in my question about creating new threads?
Do you guys like that it's one thread?
What about separating or having new topic/threads?

For example, there could be a thread that's titled

"3mos+ - PCOS question"

or

"3mos+ - Diet support ideas?"

That way we could have different, more specific threads but we would know they were for our group by the 3mos+ at the beginning?
What do people think?
(Feel free to say you hate the idea, I'm really just wondering here.)

K, H, and baby E (who is now three!!!)
#141 of 279 Old 09-20-2009, 12:00 PM

It doesn't matter to me how you guys want to handle the message threads. I'm just so glad that the thread exists at all.

I would read all of them regardless of topic...

Well, actually, I guess I do have an opinion. I think I like having just one thread to manage right now. There's not TONS of traffic so, I think adding threads might just make it more complicated to manage keeping up with everyone. If we suddenly got a huge influx of people and activity, I might feel differently, but I think if you're 3+ mos out there are going to be a huge number of issues contributing to the reason. I think largely the reasons all overlap. KWIM? But that's just my .

#142 of 279 Old 09-21-2009, 08:20 AM

i agree with jenny... i think we have small enough group... but that is my humble opinion. i will read what ever thread is there that applies to me (and, of course, some others).
-r

#143 of 279 Old 09-21-2009, 03:10 PM

I agree that this one thread is good. I like to subsribe to as few threads as possible because my current list is getting way too long.

I don't see anything wrong with it going off in tangents like PCOS issues, charting, weight loss, etc.

#144 of 279 Old 09-21-2009, 04:07 PM

Me four! While my subscription list isn't that long, let's face it. When you are metaphorically twiddling your thumbs waiting to bleed/ovulate/pee on a stick, you need things to talk about whether they be related topics or not.

Samantha

#145 of 279 Old 09-21-2009, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

Good to know how you guys feel!

It's nice to have a democracy and majority rule, eh?

K, H, and baby E (who is now three!!!)
#146 of 279 Old 09-23-2009, 09:22 AM

yay for democracy! it seems there is very little of that left in this world anymore...

just checking to share my test results and see if any of youse have anymore advice for me...

they tested for:
glucose
testosterone
progerterone
estriol
prolactin
fsh

they said all levels seem fine, except progesterone... i go to talk about treatment next week thursday.
i did a lot of reading about low progesterone online the other night but i would also really love some feedback from you all. i'm sure this is something others have dealt with.

hope all is well with everyone.

#147 of 279 Old 09-25-2009, 12:21 PM

Wehrli - keep us posted on what your doctor says. Hopefully it's an easy, OTC fix!

Well, it seems we are going to TTC a month earlier!! Due to job issues, it just made better sense, so we're gearing up for December. YAY!!! and ACK!!! According to FF for the weekend I'm to ovulate, I'm working really late the night before and going in early the day of.

Hope everyone is doing well!

Samantha

#148 of 279 Old 09-27-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpgoddess View Post
Wehrli - keep us posted on what your doctor says. Hopefully it's an easy, OTC fix!

ugghhh... this is the longest week ever!!! i just want to get this appt done and over with so i can move on from this limbo state of wondering what will be next... i'm hoping for an OTC fix, too... but i will be satisfied with almost anything at this point because DP and I just want to be moms... like, TODAY... more like yesterday, really! but i'm sure all of you understand that feeling!

Well, it seems we are going to TTC a month earlier!! Due to job issues, it just made better sense, so we're gearing up for December. YAY!!! and ACK!!! According to FF for the weekend I'm to ovulate, I'm working really late the night before and going in early the day of.

hooray for starting a month early!!! we are going to start back up in december... when is your projected O in Dec?? theoreticaly mine will be on the weekend of the 12th but i may be going on suplements or clomid or who knows... and i don't know what that will do to my cycle.
is anyone else starting-up in dec??? when is everyone starting??

hope all is well!

#149 of 279 Old 09-27-2009, 02:37 PM

wehrli - I'm so sorry that this is frustrating...I have EVERYTHING crossed for you that this progesterone thing is FIXABLE and EASILY fixable!!!! Let's get this show on the road, right???

AFM - my projected O date is the 6th, although I've been off and on charting for over a year and it changes a bit depending on what cycles I keep in the stats and which I don't. I finally took them all off and am going with current data, which gives me that first weekend. Unless something comes up between now and then, we will be trying at home with frozen, the same donor as for DD. I'm nervous though because that sperm has been on ice since 2005. Let's hope it doesn't matter!!! We have a total of four tries (we bought a ton on our first go 'round) left and if none of it takes, then we're done. Here's to hoping!!!

Samantha

#150 of 279 Old 09-27-2009, 07:04 PM

mkp, what bank are you using?? just curious...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page