Queer TTC January 2009 - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 203 Old 01-19-2009, 06:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Scalpel, sorry to hear that the insem was painful Hopefully the pain will be worth it!

indigo, it sounds like your RE is really doing everything she can to create the best possible situation. i hope all her efforts pay off

jodybird....how's life in the 2WW?

Afm, I just got home from Vegas this morning. The weather was such a nice change from the foggy, wet weather we are having at home. AF started last night so I should be insem'ing as scheduled for the first week of Feb.

Me joy.gif, DP treehugger.gif, S bikenew.gif and L babyboy.gif
#122 of 203 Old 01-19-2009, 06:57 PM

Hey Carmen,

The 2ww is going ok so far. I haven't really started obsessing too much and today is day 4. Not obsessing is work for me! As I've said over on the TTC after loss thread, I'm almost afraid to get pregnant, b/c I'm terrified of another miscarriage. I'm sure you know exactly what I mean, unfortunately.

PROUD mama to Amiya, age 6 , and Asher, born 10/2009 . Loving partner to dp, Amy.
#123 of 203 Old 01-20-2009, 01:10 PM

Scalpel - My first IUI was painful, too, and it got better for subsequent IUIs. By the end, I didn't mind them at all. Hopefully, you won't find out if subsequent inseminations are less painful, and this will be the one and only!

Indigo - Sounds like a bit of mixed bag for you and DP, I hope y'all don't have to sit next month out, too!

I'm back in the US, as of late last night, I'm home just in time for inauguration! I have no idea where my cycle is at, I think travelling might have messed it up, so I'm waiting for EWCM and insemination time.

While I was home, I wanted to tell my grandmother about TTC, but I just couldn't do it. I didn't want her to feel like it was a secret she needed to keep from my mother, and I don't want my whole family freaking out. My parents and I are not on good terms. I suppose we are on good terms for us, but we have a toxic relationship, and I'm not close with anyone in my family of origin except for my grandmother. Many mixed feelings there.

SPBC Finally a Papa! Elise Ember Soleil - 10/3/10 - 4:09 AM - 6 lbs 8 oz My daughter eats donor milk! Human milk for human babies!
#124 of 203 Old 01-20-2009, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

welcome back papa! hopefully you'll ovulate soon. i just watched the inauguration in dp's office - they had a lunchtime viewing party in a conference room.

carmen, thanks! we are feeling very positive these days, despite all the hiccups.

afu, well, here's the thing. dp had day 2 of high fertility this morning which means, more than likely, peak tomorrow and thursday. with her usual 15 day luteal phase, that makes cd1 around feb 6 or 7. alas, i have a training class the following week (feb 9-13) which would be the prime time to have the procedure done if we wanted to try in february. since dp will be under general anesthesia i need to be available to bring her there and take her home. i think we will still be able to have the procedure done next cycle (from what i've read online anywhere from cd6-12 seems to be the norm) but it will almost certainly mean sitting out february too. our re's nurse is supposed to call dp today with details so i guess she can get further info then.

the interesting tidbit to all of that is our massage therapist sensed dp would get pregnant in march....!

g

my family - dp d heartbeat.gif, ds b biggrinbounce.gif (4), ds f thumbsuck.gif (2), dd a baby.gif (jan '12), ddog m dog2.gif
#125 of 203 Old 01-21-2009, 02:13 PM

What are the odds that I could have had a fake period last month and really be pregnant? Does that happen?

I'm on CD37 of a normally 31 day cycle. UGH. Any insight?
#126 of 203 Old 01-21-2009, 03:45 PM

Ellephant - it couldn't hurt to poas. I don't think it happens frequently to bleed while pregnant - but I believe it can happen - especially if that cycle was particularly short or light. I'll cross my fingers for you - be sure to let us know the results

#127 of 203 Old 01-21-2009, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

well, still high fertility here again today. but going by the pee stick, more than likely peak tomorrow.

our re's nurse talked to dp yesterday. to try the same cycle as the polypectomy, the procedure must be done cd6-8 before the lining gets too thick. if we don't try the same cycle, cd6-12 is ok. anyways, on the way home dp asked if there was a way we could make it all happen to try next month, which surprised me because up until now it's been me doing all the pushing and i really backed off after the bfn. of course the first hurdle is having her tsh back in range and we find that out next friday. the other hurdle in our way is scheduling the procedure on a day when i can be available. if we can do it on the last day of my training class (which will let out around lunchtime) in the afternoon, it's a possibility, although a car logistics nightmare. dp is calling the nurse back today to ask about the procedure and what time it's usually scheduled etc...

the other thing that just occurred to me is to have dp take prometrium pills towards the end of her cycle to stretch it out a couple of days. hmmmm.

g

my family - dp d heartbeat.gif, ds b biggrinbounce.gif (4), ds f thumbsuck.gif (2), dd a baby.gif (jan '12), ddog m dog2.gif
#128 of 203 Old 01-21-2009, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookafaye View Post
Ellephant - it couldn't hurt to poas. I don't think it happens frequently to bleed while pregnant - but I believe it can happen - especially if that cycle was particularly short or light. I'll cross my fingers for you - be sure to let us know the results
It was super short for a period. DP wants me to wait 2-3 more days (which is killing me suspense wise) so I will let y'all know as soon as I do!
#129 of 203 Old 01-21-2009, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellephant View Post
It was super short for a period. DP wants me to wait 2-3 more days (which is killing me suspense wise) so I will let y'all know as soon as I do!
You do realize that if you are in fact pregnant that you will give hope to everyone on here who has ever had a period and thought they weren't pregnant? Lord help us

Look forward to the results (and I hope they're positive)

#130 of 203 Old 01-21-2009, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigoscot View Post

the other thing that just occurred to me is to have dp take prometrium pills towards the end of her cycle to stretch it out a couple of days. hmmmm.
Why not? She might have to start 'em as soon as she Os, I'm not sure that you can just start at the end and have it be effective.

Elle - do you know if you Oed this past cycle? If so, then no, but if not, yes, it's definitely possible, if you didn't test, you should definitely POAS!

SPBC Finally a Papa! Elise Ember Soleil - 10/3/10 - 4:09 AM - 6 lbs 8 oz My daughter eats donor milk! Human milk for human babies!
#131 of 203 Old 01-21-2009, 07:20 PM

Papa: Grandmas continually surprise me at how awesome they can be, even when other family isn't. It sounds like you have a good one.

Elle: You should definitely POAS! Worst case: BFN that you thought you had anyway. Best case: BFP and we all rejoice! (Just call me an enabler.)

Indigo: I hope you can find a way to make everything work for this cycle.

AFM, got back from a very nice, very needed vacation Monday night, and spent yesterday glued to the innaguration coverage. While on said vacay, I managed to make an appointment with the midwives we want to use for a pre-conception checkup (the Birth Cottage in NH, for those in the area). I haven't had a physical for well over a year, so figured I may as well do it with them. Of course, the CNM is out of town until the end of the month, and the earliest appointment I could do is the 9th, which is a week after I should be ovulating. But we're still going to try and get the right paperwork turned in to the right people to give it a go this month. If I'm really lucky, my pre-con appointment will be my first pre-natal instead!

Living with my DW, ourcat.gifAstrid, my mom and dad, and their dog and cats, too.  Hoping to start TTC with my OSO as baby-daddy soonish!

#132 of 203 Old 01-22-2009, 10:50 AM

Kat - let's hope! That would be very lucky indeed!

AFM - FRUSTRATION!!! I am worried I Oed while I was in Canada, no sign of impending O yet, which means I either already did (early) or it is going to be a long cycle. No more travelling before O, as it leads to too much uncertainty!

#133 of 203 Old 01-22-2009, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

ellephant, i'm impatiently waiting for you to test!! this looks very promising.

papa, ugh, i hope you didn't miss it! fx that it's just delayed due to travelling.

well, we got peak fertility today on cd17. i'm happy dp is ovulating this month after starting it out hyperthyroid and being diagnosed with pcos. it's 2 days earlier than november which i take as a positive sign. anyways, that means ovulation is tomorrow and cd1 should be on feb 8 (her lp has been pretty consistently 15 days), meaning even more importantly that cd6 will be the only possible day for the procedure! we are going to try and make that work if dp's tsh is back in range. keep your fx everyone!

g

#134 of 203 Old 01-22-2009, 05:54 PM

Testing either tomorrow morning or Saturday depending on when I go get tests. I stopped keeping them in the house after last cycle... LOL!
#135 of 203 Old 01-22-2009, 06:53 PM

Papa: Here's hoping you really haven't o'd yet.

indigoscot Consider fingers crossed.

Living with my DW, ourcat.gifAstrid, my mom and dad, and their dog and cats, too.  Hoping to start TTC with my OSO as baby-daddy soonish!

#136 of 203 Old 01-22-2009, 09:02 PM

Okay, we are 7 dpo and we have definite cramping today and increased cm. I'm hopeful! Can't test til Sunday. Keep fx!!

PROUD mama to Amiya, age 6 , and Asher, born 10/2009 . Loving partner to dp, Amy.
#137 of 203 Old 01-22-2009, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

jodybird - : : : : :

g

#138 of 203 Old 01-23-2009, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodybird511 View Post
Okay, we are 7 dpo and we have definite cramping today and increased cm. I'm hopeful! Can't test til Sunday. Keep fx!!
F/X!!! Sounds promising!!

#139 of 203 Old 01-23-2009, 12:20 PM

jodybird Here you go: : : : : And some bonus sticky dust

#140 of 203 Old 01-23-2009, 05:06 PM

Joybird - :: We'll be counting the days with you

Ellephant - Have you poas yet?? :

AFM - my cycle came 2 days early which is bumping up our schedule - I guess I won't O on Valentines day after all.

Also, I'm debating having an HSG done.
Pros: It will confirm my tubes are open and supposedly gives a better chance of success for a few months afterward
Cons: Expense and there's no reason to think that my tubes aren't open

I can't find anything that says just how much of an increased chance of pregnancy there is after and HSG. We're a little tight on money here until the house sells. We can either afford one cycle with the HSG or 2 cycles without. We'd be able to go back to trying once the house is sold and I'm getting it on the market this next week. Any thoughts?

#141 of 203 Old 01-23-2009, 05:17 PM

Pook...

We debated this too. We ultimately decided, though, to go ahead and try at least a couple cycles before immediately jumping into that. We ended up getting pregnant on our third try (although ultimately lost the pregnancy), so I was glad we decided not to go that route right off the bat. I just felt like it was so expensive, I didn't want to go there without trying without it first.

#142 of 203 Old 01-23-2009, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookafaye View Post

Also, I'm debating having an HSG done.
I can't find anything that says just how much of an increased chance of pregnancy there is after and HSG. We're a little tight on money here until the house sells. We can either afford one cycle with the HSG or 2 cycles without. We'd be able to go back to trying once the house is sold and I'm getting it on the market this next week. Any thoughts?
I would get it done - in fact, I did have one, as it was standard protocol at the clinic I went to, way back when.

If your tubes are open....
Cons - expense, potential discomfort, inconvenience of one more medical appointment.

Pros - boosts fertility for three months or so afterwards, confirms your tubes are open.

If your tubes aren't....
Cons - expense, potential discomfort (anecdotally, if your tubes are blocked, it is supposedly much more uncomfortable and likely painful)

Pros - you know before you waste the money on sperm, it could clear a small blockage.

Is there any chance of getting it coded as diagnostic, in which case your insurance will likely cover it?

HSGs are not treatment, they are diagnostic, so it's total BS that insurance doesn't cover it.

Not only that, but they are used not only to diagnose fallopian tube issues, but also things like septate or bicornate uterus, polyps, other uterine abnormalities.

I'm biased, because I've been at this a while, but I would say don't think of it in terms of one cycle, think of it six cycles down the line - if your tubes are blocked, you could have just about paid for IVF by then, having wasted six months worth of sperm $$$.

#143 of 203 Old 01-24-2009, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodybird511 View Post
Pook...

We debated this too. We ultimately decided, though, to go ahead and try at least a couple cycles before immediately jumping into that. We ended up getting pregnant on our third try (although ultimately lost the pregnancy), so I was glad we decided not to go that route right off the bat. I just felt like it was so expensive, I didn't want to go there without trying without it first.
I was the opposite........ We decided not to jump to that... did 3 tries (thats alot of money too...) and my tubes ended up being blocked... I wish I had done it in the beginning.

Coco

Celebrating the arrival of our twins twins.gifCharlie & Chloe, born Jan 28th 2011 !

#144 of 203 Old 01-24-2009, 11:47 PM

Logistics questions for you all:

Sperm insertion device for ICI - what do you use and where did you find it? I think I remember discussion a while back (which I may be imagining) about the best size for a needleless syringe, but where does one come by such a thing in the real world? We'll hopefully be inseming next weekend or there abouts so probably too late to order online, and I haven't seen anything useful on the drug store shelves... Help?

#145 of 203 Old 01-25-2009, 01:11 AM

We use a 5cc needle-less syringe. I've gotten one for free from a pharmacist at CVS. I LOVED that experience!

I just asked for a syringe for giving meds to a kid. I was looking to buy one (which I have before) but they didn't have any. She just handed me one from their plentiful stash.

Other times (yes, we've been at this a LONG time) I got one at a different pharmacy. If you look in the kids medicine area you're more likely to find one.

Good luck!
megin

ETA: In terms of size, 5cc has always worked for us. But, we use fresh, and I believe you're using frozen so your samples will be much less than ours in terms of volume. So you may want to go for 1cc. And also, if you're picking up the goods, as I remember, perhaps the bank actually includes or has a syringe that they recommend?

Mommy to an amazing 8 year old, wife to an inspiring principal, and welcoming Wylie Grace! Our July 4th babe!
#146 of 203 Old 01-25-2009, 01:40 AM

Katharine - syringes are over the counter in MA, so you won't find them on the shelves, but if you ask at the pharmacy counter, they will sell them to you.

Be warned that the pharmacist may give you a hard time. (or maybe that's just me, because I'm heavily tattooed, and wandered into CVS at 10:00 PM on a Saturday night) I recommend not going in looking sketchy, I didn't know any better.

What you want is a 1 cc syringe for frozen, and a 5 - 10 cc for fresh, you want one for each insemination, and you don't want the sharp, just the syringe. They're around $0.30/each, so not expensive.

My understanding is that kids medicine "syringes" no longer have the old "syringe" style design, because it was too easy to modify to use it as a syringe for IV drugs. Also, they're much too large for frozen.

Good luck!

#147 of 203 Old 01-25-2009, 09:34 AM

Kat,

The bank will give you one. You're using NECC, right? They will give (or sell for not much money, I'm not sure) something called a pipette that you can use to do an ICI.

Good luck!

A, partner to J, mama to O, now with a new username!

Building queer family since 2008!

(and oh, did i mention we're having twins?!?)

#148 of 203 Old 01-25-2009, 02:44 PM

megin, Papa and Angela: Thanks. I just have this fear that for some reason they won't include one with the tank, and I'll be about to ovulate RIGHT THEN and we'll be searching frantically... (Yes, I'm already a bit nuts, why do you ask?) DW is going to ask at work - she's a biomed researcher, so she knows from pipettes! Apparently her lab doesn't have anything smaller than 10cc in the way of syringes at the moment, but one of the other labs probably has them. If not, I'll look my clean-cut, wholesome, white girl best and ask the pharmacy.

#149 of 203 Old 01-26-2009, 02:45 AM

katharinerose, I won't repeat everyone else's great advice but will add that the pharmacist at the pharmacy we went to to get the syringes (5cc has been perfect) didn't even bat an eye when we ask for some. They were also very cheap as others have said.

jodybird and ellephant, either of you have any news to share??!

I'm super excited to insem again this cycle . I think because we had to miss the last cycle I feel very happy we have another shot at it.

#150 of 203 Old 01-26-2009, 11:30 AM

Hey All,

Well, yesterday, I had a "shadow" of a line. This morning, definite line--faint, but there. Digital still said "not pregnant," but I have a feeling that by tomorrow or the next day, I'll be getting a positive on that one! I did NOT imagine the line this morning!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page