sending sperm in the mail? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 01-05-2009, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hello! i am new to the list and have some questions about the process of self-insemination using known donor sperm...

my partner and i are in the "planning" phase of getting pregnant and we feel somewhat clueless about coordinating the insemination because our donor lives in a different city than us. has anyone ever heard of kits that are available to send non-frozen sperm in the mail? i could have sworn i read about these kits, but now i can't figure out where to get more information. any information people have would be great.

thanks!
erin
#2 of 9 Old 01-06-2009, 12:19 AM

http://www.zdlinc.com/biotranz_xp.html

We have used this kit and it's worked well. The sperm count was excellent when we brought the sperm to our doc for washing and an IUI.

We've done both at-home insems using this method and doctor-assisted IUI (for which they have to wash the sperm first). Our donor hasn't had a complaint about the process at all. And he ships it to us across the country. We usually have it about 16 hours later, and the ice packs are still totally frozen. I say go for it!

Good luck and welcome!!!! :

megin

Mommy to an amazing 8 year old, wife to an inspiring principal, and welcoming Wylie Grace! Our July 4th babe!
#3 of 9 Old 01-06-2009, 01:39 AM

Hi Erin! I have a long-distance donor as well. This is the kit we use. http://www.donorhomedelivery.com/

It is the same buffer used by the other kit but he charges less. It is a small side biz for the Nurse Practitioner who started the Rainbow Flag Sperm Bank in SF. Unlike other kit sellers he will sell you extra buffer. We bought 3 kits, kept the rest of the kit and now buy 1 kit with an extra buffer each month. Saves us about $50-$100 each month depending on how many insems we do. It isn't much of a savings but when you've been shelling out for as long as I have it adds up. We checked our donor's shipment to make sure his goods survive the shipping and it was all good. His swimmers were wild and ready. I've only been doing the shipping fresh thing for about 4 months. One of those months doesn't even really count because I only had timing for 1 insem and I popped an egg 2 days before. Timing overnight shipping over the holidays sucked! With my last known donor, a local guy, I got pregnant on try 5 but miscarried. I'm hoping for the same luck with my long-distance guy.
Good luck!

Queer poly family trying since October 2006. Currently using a known donor and no medical interventions.
#4 of 9 Old 01-06-2009, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for the info! this is VERY helpful.
#5 of 9 Old 01-06-2009, 11:35 AM

Alternatively you could consider flying to your donor to insem. A bit more of a hassle, but then you can use fresh which is more effective, and airline tickets can be surprisingly affordable if flying domestically.
#6 of 9 Old 01-07-2009, 07:21 PM

my partner and I have been using donorhomedelivery.com also and have been really happy. she got pregnant but miscarried last cycle. trying again tomorrow and hoping this one is it!
#7 of 9 Old 03-17-2014, 04:03 PM

Would it work if my wife is in turkey
#8 of 9 Old 03-17-2014, 04:23 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
If you can get a package to Turkey overnight, it would work. It's the shipping that's the issue. It would be rather expensive if you are in the states.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#9 of 9 Old 03-18-2014, 06:47 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
You'd probably have to check on customs regulations, too--I'm not sure all countries would allow biological products to be shipped, even if you could get them there in time.

She's here!
And so are the boys!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page