question about AI - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-10-2009, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ok so I have a known donor that is gonna work with me to do AI but what should I have him put his "stuff" in? I tried a plastic baggy but that was messy and a lot went to waste.... any ideas?

BFPChart2.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2009, 06:48 PM

We were going to use a wide topped glass but KD preferred a flat bowl thing, so we use a plastic tupperware type thing, about the size of one that would hold a sandwich. Works for him and it's very easy to get the goods from!

Me joy.gif, DP treehugger.gif, S bikenew.gif and L babyboy.gif
Old 02-10-2009, 07:14 PM

We have used a Tinkerbell fairy mug from the Disney store every time we've insemmed. It's our good luck charm now.

lemurmommies, loving wife to ruvalokiteshvara, proud moms to our intact son E (12/06), and mourning the loss of our daughter Noelle (stillborn 12/08).
Old 02-10-2009, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemurmommies View Post
We have used a Tinkerbell fairy mug from the Disney store every time we've insemmed. It's our good luck charm now.
LOL that's hilarious!

Me joy.gif, DP treehugger.gif, S bikenew.gif and L babyboy.gif
Old 02-10-2009, 10:37 PM

Glass is supposedly better than plastic - cleaner, smoother, doesn't contain toxic chemicals.

My KD and I make use of an 8 oz mason jelly jar. Works like a charm.

I would think a baggie would be tricky, it strikes me as being hard to draw the semen up into a syringe because it would suck the plastic in too.

SPBC Finally a Papa! Elise Ember Soleil - 10/3/10 - 4:09 AM - 6 lbs 8 oz My daughter eats donor milk! Human milk for human babies!
Old 02-11-2009, 01:38 PM

We also used the same little glass jam jar--it's worked 3 times!
Old 02-12-2009, 12:34 AM

Glass is what is recommended, especially if there is going to be any lag time between filling it and inseminating it. Glass is easy to sanitize and doesn't leach chemicals. (Have you seen all those reports on common household chemicals being linked to infertility?! I just tossed my plastic tuperware and am going out to by glass containers to pack my lunches in!)

We used an old glass olive jar about the size Papa mentioned. It took a couple runs through the dishwasher to get it as clean feeling as I wanted it but after that it was fine. I got preg once while using that jar (but m/c'd). We don't use it now since our new KD is shipping from across the country.

The key thing is to make sure it is perfectly dry before handing it over. No drops of water from washing! Water can damage the sperm. I use to put the jar in the toaster oven before our donor came over to dry up any droplets. When he saw me pull it out of the oven to cool a bit he started cracking up! There were a lot of "one in the oven" jokes that night.

Good luck!

Queer poly family trying since October 2006. Currently using a known donor and no medical interventions.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:03 PM

i second the fairy mug, but only because i am the other half of that insemming partnership!

in addition to being convenient, it adds a shot of good humour to the whole process.
Old 02-12-2009, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

thanks ladies! I found a mini jar that worked out perfectly yesterday. Im crossing my fingers this is my month! 2ww here I come! (again)

BFPChart2.gif

User Tag List