Annoy the anti-gay... - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 33 Old 01-08-2004, 12:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

it was so nice to have this be the first thread I read this morning when I came online. you guys don't know how much it all means to me.
#32 of 33 Old 01-12-2004, 11:56 AM
Banned

My BIL and SIL emailed me that petition and I signed it (the other way ) I didn't say anything to the inlaws, though (someday but not now)

That was a few months ago, however.

Here are my thoughts about rights and people giving you rights.

You (everyone, editorial you) have certain inherent rights regardless of the opinions of others.

'problem is when someone is a minority they are at the mercy of what the majority is willing to give.

I think a culture can be measured by how much the majority (or people in power) acknowledge about the inherent rights of minorities.

And, yes, the Bible says to love (your neighbor, your enemies, 'sinners') so, unless the Fundies are secretly having gay feelings, they should be focusing on their duty to be kind and loving instead of pointing out what part of the bibe others should be focused on.

This always gets me.

Debra Baker
#33 of 33 Old 01-12-2004, 01:53 PM

Hi Debra,

You know I've spent my life saying "It's all about how you (we) treat babies and old people." I think it's fair to judge groups on that basis.

Your broader way of looking at it is clearly more accurate. I wonder often why it's not in everyone's interest for dp to be obligated to care for our child as she would if the state allows us to marry. Or dp and I to be obligated to provide each other's necessities and pay each other's debts.

(While I believe it would be immoral, and therefore don't,) I could apply for financial aid for school or other benefits for my child on my salary alone, even though we live on both salaries. Nepotism rules have had to be expanded to include domestic partnerships even when benefits are not.

Rights and responsiblities go hand in hand. I have the moral responsibilities...I wish I had the legal rights to go with them.
I keep wondering what interest this serves for the majority?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page