Queer and Pregnant Mar., Apr., May - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 704 Old 03-17-2009, 09:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
:Welcome Baby A & Congratulations to Giggleblue and her DP!!!:

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#62 of 704 Old 03-17-2009, 09:42 PM

JennM ... go to the hospital and have them plonk the doppler on you.
You'll sleep so much better when you know for sure that baby is just tucked behind your durned placenta! Many hugs, I know how scary it is when you think babe has slowed down.

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#63 of 704 Old 03-17-2009, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
WELCOME BABY A!!!!!:::

Loving wife to Kate. So in love with Amelia. Born August 14, 2009
#64 of 704 Old 03-18-2009, 12:50 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Jenn - Better to check than not, but probably everything is fine. I think babies sometimes need days of quiet and rest. I know my baby has very quiet days where I feel almost nothing at all and then 2 days later, he won't sit still.

Did everything possible to start labor today. . . ate Chinese for lunch, walked 5 miles(wore my dog out), bounced on my ball, drank a glass of wine, heard some very loud bag pipe music, then topped it off with spicy Mexican food for dinner. Still having bloody show since my midwife stripped my membranes on Monday, but no regular contractions. Sigh. . . BUT, I do have a date tomorrow night I feel kind of bad because I'm not really attracted to this woman, but if somebody wants to give me a back rub at 40 weeks and 4 days, who am I to say no!

Life is strange and wonderful.  Me read.gif, DP lady.gif, DS (3/09) blahblah.gif , 3 dog2.gif  and 4 cat.gif

#65 of 704 Old 03-18-2009, 09:30 AM

Pranava, I would add castor oil and nipple stimulation to your list. Drink a teaspoon of castor oil and wait and see...if that's not enough you can try a bit more. You can put it in oj if you don't want to take it straight. Nipple stimulation can start good contractions. Try it

Adding that I didn't necessarily mean to try the nipple stim on your date, lol. I didn't read about going on a date until I'd written this.

Partnered mama with DD (01/04) and DD (08/09) and 8 critters, including a !
#66 of 704 Old 03-18-2009, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raene View Post
Adding that I didn't necessarily mean to try the nipple stim on your date, lol. I didn't read about going on a date until I'd written this.
: I think I'll save the castor oil for afterward too!! I've heard scary things about it. . .

Life is strange and wonderful.  Me read.gif, DP lady.gif, DS (3/09) blahblah.gif , 3 dog2.gif  and 4 cat.gif

#67 of 704 Old 03-18-2009, 11:17 AM

Good idea, lol. That would definitely make for a very short date.

#68 of 704 Old 03-18-2009, 12:00 PM

Thanks for the advice everyone. I did call my OB and they had me come in this morning for a quick check. His heartbeat was great and they even did a quick ultrasound check. He was kicking and moving around...I just didn't feel it. I felt one strong kick...but that's it. The Dr thinks is likely due to the anterior placenta...and he's positioned himself right behind it. They did say my BP was a bit high...and given my history with it...they are going to need to pay close attention to that. Anyway...so far so good I suppose.

DS Alexander Joseph born 6/29/09
#69 of 704 Old 03-18-2009, 12:55 PM

hey all,

crashing the group here to say hi to all, congrats to giggleblue and fam, and to tell pranava to stay the heck away from castor oil. It stimulates uterine contractions by causing intestinal contractions via diarrhea. From someone who went into labor because of a GI bug that was going around our family (same situation as the castor oil), I can tell you that going into labor dehydrated and depleted of all of the food you ate in the last 24 hours is not nice. On top of being in labor, you are tired, weak and achy. Save it for a 42+ week last resort. Try acupuncture and homeopathic caullophylum first.

love to all, xo jen.

: mama to T 9/04 and E 11/08
#70 of 704 Old 03-18-2009, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenInMpls View Post
hey all,

crashing the group here to say hi to all, congrats to giggleblue and fam, and to tell pranava to stay the heck away from castor oil. It stimulates uterine contractions by causing intestinal contractions via diarrhea. From someone who went into labor because of a GI bug that was going around our family (same situation as the castor oil), I can tell you that going into labor dehydrated and depleted of all of the food you ate in the last 24 hours is not nice. On top of being in labor, you are tired, weak and achy. Save it for a 42+ week last resort. Try acupuncture and homeopathic caullophylum first.

love to all, xo jen.
Hmm...I know several people who used it and loved it.

#71 of 704 Old 03-18-2009, 02:02 PM

JennM, so glad to hear your little guy is OK.

Castor Oil: I've heard it can work wonders, but seems a pretty miserable way to go into labor. I think you would need to be pretty desperate.

JenInMpls: Great to see you on here!!:

Pranava: Sending you good labor vibes. I think we need S+D to do a labor voodoo dance for you... those always work wonders!!

AAU: We just had our 36.5wk check up. Quasar is 50% effaced and 1cm dilated; baby is head down and all looks great! : We have most of the nursery put together but still seems like there is a lot to do in the next few weeks.

Two questions for you all... what was the breastfeeding book that y'all were recommending? We really want to breastfeed but quasar is afraid that her nipples are going to fall off. I could do a search and not be lazy, but thought I would ask again.

And, anyone or their DPs start acting psycho as the impending birth started to loom closer? I have been really tempermental and get really agitated and bitchy about anything. When I was really stressed at my last job, I acted like that a lot. But it has suddenly just really blown up for me this past week. I have been yelling about gift receipts and little stuff like that. I think the fact that we have a new neighbor is also stressing me out. Someone finally moved into the house next door after it being vacant for 2+ years and we thought no one would ever buy the overpriced, oddly shaped, cardboard box. Now she wants to chop down a bunch of trees that are providing privacy and I worry that they might complain about our dogs. And since we are breaking the local pet ordinance by 8, it stresses me a little. She has said she likes the dogs, but we shall see.

Bleh, babbling. Hope everyone is well and thanks for checking in last week. I feel like a schlub for not responding earlier... I ask for updates and then ignore everyone.

Raene, how is your family situation going??

smartycatpartners.gif quasar.  Mommies to two boys.
#72 of 704 Old 03-18-2009, 02:14 PM

smartycat- Many people find Dr. Jack Newman's Ultimate Guide to Breastfeeding Questions and Answers useful. He's really unhelpful about breastfeeding after a reduction (which I am doing), so I don't recommend it for that.

My biggest piece of advice vis-a-vis breastfeeding is to line up a good lactation consultant NOW. Ask around- all LCs are not created equal. Preferably, one who will come to your house, because believe me, if you have a hospital birth, the last thing you'll want to do after you leave is to head back there to talk to a lactation consultant. Program her number into your cell phone now. Also program in the numbers of your local La Leche League leaders.

Kellymom.com is a great source of breastfeeding information, as are the breastfeeding forums here on MDC.

I have had a really, really horrendous breastfeeding experience. (You can read about it here if you want the details, but maybe don't look at it now- no point in psyching yourselves out...) I think that a lot of my problems could have been avoided if I'd had better breastfeeding support from the get go. So, even if you have to pay out of pocket for a home visit from someone great, it really is worth it, and I recommend doing so.

A, partner to J, mama to O, now with a new username!

Building queer family since 2008!

(and oh, did i mention we're having twins?!?)

#73 of 704 Old 03-18-2009, 02:23 PM

Angela - I didn't now you were BFAR!! May I ask how it's going for you? I had a reduction about ten years ago and I'm really hoping I am able to breastfeed.

Still madly in stillheart.gif with jb after 10 years and chasing after my precocious toddler jog.gif    

***joy.gif***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***40    computergeek2.gif westphillymama.com

#74 of 704 Old 03-18-2009, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pleasantlyfurious View Post
Angela - I didn't now you were BFAR!! May I ask how it's going for you? I had a reduction about ten years ago and I'm really hoping I am able to breastfeed.
Hmm, well, I'm afraid I'm not exactly a success story. There's a link in my message above to a thread that talks about the problems I've had. On the bright side, I've learned SO MUCH from this experience that if we ever have another kid, I feel confident that we'll have a much better nursing relationship.

The forums at bfar.org are really helpful. Unfortunately, I didn't find them until much too late. You totally can breastfeed - lots of women make it work, and some don't even need to supplement. But having the knowledge and supplies in place ahead of time is really, really crucial.

PM me if you want to talk more about it...

#75 of 704 Old 03-18-2009, 02:56 PM

pranava...
Hey honey, hope things are moving along. If not, here is what got our labour going. I went from 4cm and 80% to 7cm and 100% overnight, although it could've been natural I guess. I was only 38 weeks though and had to induce immediately for pre-e.
It's allllll about the verbena!
All the best!

Labour voodoo dance:
I sprinkled some verbena onto the snow in your honour!

LABOUR TEA
2 cups water
1 part cinnamon
5 parts clove
tonnes of chopped ginger

Boil for 30 minutes, remove from heat and add 3 drops of VERBENA essential oil.
Makes two cups

LABOUR COCKTAIL
2 tbs almond butter
2 tbs castor oil
blend with 300ml water
5 drops verbena (0.1ml)
200 ml apricot juice
drink quickly (within half an hour)

Leave out the castor oil if you want. I did, and it still worked!

#76 of 704 Old 03-18-2009, 03:05 PM

Smarty--the family situation has gotten better. We did file a police report (not sure what point I was at when I last wrote about it, so maybe I'd already done that) and I emailed her asking her not to contact me for the next 7 months b/c I'm high-risk with my pregnancy and I don't need any stress right now. Of course, what do you know, she wrote back right away. I didn't read it though...not into producing more stress...so DP read it (no idea what it said and like it that way). My mom turned in her key to us at our offices (we didn't have to see her...she left it at the front desk) and she included a little note with that as well. Apparently she doesn't know the meaning of "do not contact". I didn't read that one, either. DP says it's not "so bad" but I still don't want to know.

I'm hoping she will stay away and respect my wishes. If she does come onto our property, I can have her arrested. Just hoping she doesn't b/c that would be really hard. Not to mention, my mom isn't one of those people everyone knows is a nut; people really like her and can't imagine that she has a bad side. So people would really give me heck if they knew I had her arrested.

#77 of 704 Old 03-18-2009, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raene View Post
Not to mention, my mom isn't one of those people everyone knows is a nut; people really like her and can't imagine that she has a bad side. So people would really give me heck if they knew I had her arrested.
My bio dad is the same way, everyone thinks he's wonderful. Helpful, charming, hard-working, smart, thoughtful ... when really he's a sadistic meanie. So hard. I'm sending you oodles of cyber hugs, honey.

#78 of 704 Old 03-18-2009, 06:02 PM

Congrats giggleblue!!

: DD 8/29/08 and twin boys 11/3/09
#79 of 704 Old 03-18-2009, 10:34 PM

raene - I'm glad there are people out there who have had positive experiences with castor oil. I am sure that it does the job - it's just that I found managing a long labor going into it exhausted and depleted very, very difficult, and I really think it should be used as a last resort.

smartycat, hiya and I loved the book "So THAT'S what they're for! - breastfeeding basics" - look for it on amazon. The Sears' breastfeeding book is also good. quasar, your nipples are not going to fall off. And if you have supply issues, contact me. I am your queen of supply issue solutions.

: mama to T 9/04 and E 11/08
#80 of 704 Old 03-19-2009, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenInMpls View Post
And if you have supply issues, contact me. I am your queen of supply issue solutions.
Anything to add to my toolbox?
Fenugreek
Blessed Thistle
Nursing tea
Oatmeal
(prayer)
Nursing on demand
Pumping
Block feeding
Switch feeding
(prayer)
Lactation consultants
Nursing "vacations"
Rest
(prayer)
Pediatrician baby check
Donor milk
Supplementing with an SNS at the breast
No artificial nipples of any kind, ever

Oh my dear goddess above, I am so exhausted by my supply issues.:

#81 of 704 Old 03-19-2009, 07:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
thank you everyone for the congrats!!! whew, i can't believe it's over and that she is here. i totally was not expecting to go into labor anytime soon as was actually trying to mentally prepare myself for the long haul.

i was however in the back of my mind hoping she would come during spring break since the wife is out of school for spring break. i didn't want her free time off work to go wasted, so it worked out perfectly.

i wrote the extra extended and uncut version of the birthing story on my blog. labor was not as bad as i thought it was going to be pain wise. i think fatigue is your biggest enemy when it comes to labour and delivery. i will piggy back off of jen's suggestion of avoiding the alternative induction methods until at least 42 weeks. get as much rest and sleep as possible when you go into labor. my cleaning spree more than likely wasn't the best choice of action - if i had to do it again, i would have immediately had some wine and got into the bed to sleep as much as humanly possible. basically just ignore labor as much as possible until it demands your attention.

my birth didn't go as planned, have you, but i'm happy with the end result. i feel like i gave it my all - i tried my best and did my best for a very long time, and in the end, the problem wasn't something i was in control of.

i'm also second or thirding the advice for immediate lactation support. i read the breastfeeding books and what have you, but it's totally different when you get babe in arm and are latching on for the first time. at the hospital, i was able to see the lactation consultant for the first feeding and she helped me with every feeding the first day. we have been doing about two feedings a day together since then, and i'll have another one tomorrow before leaving. my milk started coming in today.

smartycat - not sure if you have netflix, but i found "laugh and learn about breastfeeding" to be a nice introduction to breast feeding with useful practical tips for first timers. your local library may have it also if you don't have netflix. the other movies in her series are good too. i watched them all leading up to the due date. it's a quick watch and straight and to the point. i also read dr. sear's book and spent some time on the LLL website just generally reading their new comer tips and whatnot. dr. sears seems like a good field guide have you - good reference material once the baby arrives, but reading it in advance and in full can be a bit overwhelming. i'm more of a hands on learner so although i got factual information from the book, i wasn't able to really pick up on what the correct holds looked or felt like until i got the baby in my arms and tried it.

raene - i'm really happy stood up for yourself with the situation with mom. it's best to avoid the stress because you really don't need it in your life right now. right now, it all about doing what you need to do to mentally and physically make it through this pregnancy for yourself and the baby and your family. the rest is of the unneeded stress is just pointless. i totally relate to the hurt of the situation when parents are like this. it gets better over time, but the first step for me was to put my foot down and decide to stop putting myself in the position to be mistreated and that is exactly what you have done *hugs*

pranava - hang in there!!! it's almost over, i promise!!! perhaps a well planned spa day could bring the little one out?? that's what worked for me! and i was so looking forward to my massage, whirlpool bath and pedicure!

jen - thank you for your kind comments on my blog regarding the birthing situation. we do what we can do, you know? i've learned big lessons about acceptance and control and dealing with those things that are out of our control - that's been the big lesson from the entire pregnancy. it's good to see you around. i don't always comment on your blog, but i'm still a steady lurker.

giggle - mommy to GP born 3.16.09 and parter to liberty (GP's mama). hoping to have 2 under 2 in the very near future via DP's ute!
#82 of 704 Old 03-19-2009, 09:32 AM

Giggleblue, chiming in late to say many, many congratulations! I'm so thrilled for you and your family!::

#83 of 704 Old 03-19-2009, 09:48 AM

Okay, maybe many of you know this already, but I had no idea that many insurance companies will cover the cost of a breast pump, especially when your doc writes out a prescription for one. You know, the really nice pumps!
So if you're planning on breastfeeding it wouldn't hurt to check with your insurance company. I'm going to try it.

#84 of 704 Old 03-19-2009, 10:29 AM

good point! i need to check with my insurance company to see. i brought a medela freestyle offline.

giggle - mommy to GP born 3.16.09 and parter to liberty (GP's mama). hoping to have 2 under 2 in the very near future via DP's ute!
#85 of 704 Old 03-19-2009, 10:31 AM

Giggleblue - Just read your birth story. Wow! What a long couple of days you had. But it sounds like you really did a fabulous job and were able to be confident and clear about your wishes. Congratulations on a healthy baby!!
#86 of 704 Old 03-20-2009, 10:30 AM

Rough night at our house last night! Dp is sick. She was burning up with a fever last night. She went to the doc yesterday and got on some antibiotics and seems to be a bit better this morning, but she was bad last night. And she's terrified she's going to give it to me. So she's wearing gloves around the house and I slept in another room last night.

Last night, after she had gone to bed about 5:30, I took the dog out for a walk. I was fine for the first half, but I really started having contractions as we headed home. And not just Braxton Hicks - these were painful. I also started feeling sick to my stomach. Once I got home at sat down for a bit, things calmed down, but whenever I got up and started moving around, the contractions started back up. I told the baby he/she had to wait until DP was feeling better!! No more contractions once I went to bed. But I got them again this morning walking the dog and walking from my car to my office. So... I'm sitting still until DP is feeling better!

Oh, and did I mention that I fell down the stairs this morning?:
#87 of 704 Old 03-20-2009, 11:16 AM

Oh...H&B...what a rough night/morning for you! Glad you decided to stay put for now. FX that things settle down and DP feels better soon to take care of you. Hugs.

DS Alexander Joseph born 6/29/09
#88 of 704 Old 03-20-2009, 05:25 PM

heart n bones- What a taxing night! I hope both you and dp are feeling better very soon

AAM: and that's all I have to say about it right now. . .

#89 of 704 Old 03-20-2009, 08:54 PM

Oh Hearts n Bones, so sorry you are having a rough day.

smartycatpartners.gif quasar.  Mommies to two boys.
#90 of 704 Old 03-21-2009, 12:49 AM

oh, HNB, i'm sorry she's sick!! that has to be awful. i was a germ phobe the entire pregnancy and the second DP even sneezed too many times in an hour i was forcing her to take vitamin c, spraying things down with lysol and making suggestive hints about sleeping on the couch.

thankfully, despite her being a teacher, we made it through cold and flu season without any cold or flu and i didn't even take the recommended pregnant woman flu shot.

anyway, so long as you are taking your supplements, you should be fine!! your immune system should be able to withstand. all these early contractions are a good sign that babe may be coming on time! although it sucked to be in the start stop pre-labor for like two weeks, i went into labor on my due date and couldn't have been more excited!

be careful on those stairs!!

pranava - you are in my thoughts!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page