tiny question about frozen sperm in nitrogen tanks - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 03-05-2009, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hi all,

Figuring out when to have my semen order arrive was challenging but I finally decided to have it here for me CD 17, though I usually ovulate around CD 21 or 22. So that would have my stuff sitting in the tank here at home for 5 or 6 days.
I was scared that if I ordered it to arrive CD 20 or something I would be freaking out on the days leading up to it in case something happened early this cycle.
the folks at the sperm bank said, when I asked, that the stuff really does stay frozen in the tanks for 7 days- so weather I insem on the first or 7th day I have it that it is as fresh, as it will still be frozen.

I guess I am wondering if this is accurate- just today I could call and have the order shipped a few days later, I think. Right now it is set to arrive in 2 days and I am still not quite in my fertile time yet. They also said I could get another fully charged tank (for around 200 dollars) if it seems that I need more time.

So my question is- do you think this is a good plan, because I occasionally (rarely)O earlier than CD 21 or 22. But I figured this way this stuff should be good till CD 23.
My long winded quick question is, from experience do people think it is just as viable to insem with sperm that have been in the shipped tank for 6 or 7 days as it is to do so with stuff here only a day or two?
Or if I think I will O around CD 21 or 22 or even 23 then should I have it arrive on CD 20?

I wanted to cover all my bases here and give as strong of a try as I could- I know either way I will be a bit unsettled (but excited) until I know I have insem'ed on my o day.
#2 of 17 Old 03-05-2009, 02:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi! We had similar concerns since my O was fairly unpredictable (and sometimes non-existant). What the bank told me was that they could only guarantee the tank for seven days, but that the newer tanks really kept for a good two weeks - so I should always specify that I wanted a newer tank when ordering (this was California Cryobank). Also - there were a couple places locally where we could go and have the tanks recharged (which we discovered after nearly having a heart attack as the two weeks were running out and I hadn't ovulated) for a minimal charge - like $25 - but a couple times the did it for free. If I were you I'd call around and see if there is anywhere nearby that could recharge it for you. We used a local cryobank and an RE office. The time we got pregnant was from a tank that had sat in our home for a month and a half getting recharged every two weeks or so - so it didn't seem to affect the sperm too much. Good luck!

Still madly in stillheart.gif with jb after 10 years and chasing after my precocious toddler jog.gif    

***joy.gif***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***40    computergeek2.gif westphillymama.com

#3 of 17 Old 03-05-2009, 02:35 PM

Ahhh.... the Red Ticking Sperm Tank Clock of Doom - TM. We often struggled with that. Make sure the tank is here early enough but then not ovulating til the end and worrying that the liquid nitrogen would run out. The liquid nitrogen is guaranteed for 7 days but most likely does last longer than that. One thing you can do to help it last as long as possible is resist the urge to open it and look at it before you need it. The longer it stays completely closed, the longer the liquid nitrogen lasts. The other option is to get the liquid nitrogen refilled. Find a local medical gas / welding gas supply and have it filled there... it only costs a few dollars. We did that and had a few embarassing encounters where we told them we were breeding Shiloh Shepherd The sperm bank may tell you not to do that, but it is fine and easy enough to do. If you get the tank refilled, remember to spill out the extra liquid nitrogen before you ship it back. Not only does it make it the correct shipping weight, but then you also won't have any problems where DHL is thinking you are shipping a bomb because there is liquid nitrogen smoke coming out of the box (happened to us

Good luck, the Red Ticking Sperm Tank Clock of Doom was one of the more stressful aspects until we figured out where to get it refilled.

smartycatpartners.gif quasar.  Mommies to two boys.
#4 of 17 Old 03-05-2009, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses you guys!
#5 of 17 Old 03-06-2009, 07:27 AM

I kept the tank for 12 days this time, because I ovulated late this cycle and my vials were still frozen.

Good luck!!
#6 of 17 Old 03-07-2009, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

Does anyone know if the syringes come inside the tank (from TSBC)
#7 of 17 Old 03-09-2009, 08:24 AM

My syringes came in an envolope,not in the tank. Good luck!
#8 of 17 Old 03-09-2009, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

Oh- they said they are in the case.
#9 of 17 Old 03-10-2009, 11:20 AM

Hey Katie,

Just wanted to wish you luck- I remember how NERVOUS I was the first time that tank arrived!

Also, we used TSBC, and we marked every tank we used with a stencil of an ocean wave, or a little drawing of one. I already knew then that I wanted to name my kid Ocean, and it became my superstitious way of claiming the tanks as a good luck talisman. So, if you see some weird spray painted wave graffiti on your tank, that's one of ours!

Sending you lots of fertile thoughts!
:

A, partner to J, mama to O, now with a new username!

Building queer family since 2008!

(and oh, did i mention we're having twins?!?)

#10 of 17 Old 03-10-2009, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Angela!
I guess I just have no concept of something actually Staying frozen for this long!
And my ovulation is coming later than usual this cycle
It seems like the last 2 cycles, when I knew we couldn't even ttc, I had the most abundant ewcm cause I was relaxed.
This cycle, nothing yet.

I think I may go get the tank filled sooner than later just to relax. But one thing I don't get is- how exactly does it get used up? Does the nitrogen evaporate or just slowly get warmer?
#11 of 17 Old 03-10-2009, 03:57 PM

Just kind of think of it like ice in a glass... eventually it warms up and melts. But the liquid nitrogen is much, MUCH colder... : It very slowly evaporates over time. And in the tank, it is like having ice cubes in a cooler, it will stay colder longer due to being in the tank.

#12 of 17 Old 03-11-2009, 02:25 AM - Thread Starter

I am slightly spazzing. I know it will be okay though.
I am getting the tank refilled tomorrow. It will only be it's 5th day here, but I am already thinking that I really don't want those vials to defrost.
And here I am just venting- this cycle is going really slowly. Here I am CD 20 and no fertile hints even. whereas last 2 cycles I had ewcm by CD 19.

I am not worried about my body as I have often had long cycles, and my cycles vary. But it is just frustrating to have this lovely tank with waiting vials in it, arrived on CD 17, and me basically Waiting to O- and it being CD 20 and nothing happening at all!

I thought I might at least O around CD 23 but usually I get some lead up signs by 3 days before.

Okay- just venting and trying to be patient! I hope I even Get ewcm this cycle! I only check about 300 times a day, thinking- well, it's been 15 minutes, maybe something has changed.
Okay- I am fine, just up late at night right now and wondering what is up with my body this cycle and hoping those sperm stay frozen solid till I need them.
#13 of 17 Old 03-11-2009, 03:05 AM - Thread Starter

One more actual question please- just in case here!
I was just looking at TSBC's website and it says they send the sperm in liquid nitrogen VAPOR- in a vapor tank.
So is it safe to simply put the liquid nitrogen in it?

I may still O by day #7 of having the tank (which would be 3 days from now) but unlikely.
Should I get the tank refilled- or just wait? argh.
I wish I had ordered it to come later! I was feeling all this pressure to get it ready in time. (self pressure)

So can I put liquid nitrogen in the tank designed for Liquid nitrogen VAPOR?
Thanks!
Sorry so neurotic right now!
#14 of 17 Old 03-11-2009, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie34 View Post
One more actual question please- just in case here!
I was just looking at TSBC's website and it says they send the sperm in liquid nitrogen VAPOR- in a vapor tank.
So is it safe to simply put the liquid nitrogen in it?

I may still O by day #7 of having the tank (which would be 3 days from now) but unlikely.
Should I get the tank refilled- or just wait? argh.
I wish I had ordered it to come later! I was feeling all this pressure to get it ready in time. (self pressure)

So can I put liquid nitrogen in the tank designed for Liquid nitrogen VAPOR?
Thanks!
Sorry so neurotic right now!
Yes, you can add liquid nitrogen. Whoever you take the tank to should know about how much to put in, etc. We had to have our tank re-filled once, and the bull-semen farmer who we took it to seemed very confident with knowing how much liquid to add.

Good luck!

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#15 of 17 Old 03-11-2009, 10:39 AM

Generally, the sperm banks put a sponge soaked with liquid nitrogen in the bottom of the tank and the resulting vapors are enough to keep the samples frozen. Our experience with refilling the tank is that they generally add a quantity of liquid to the bottom of the tank (more than is needed to recharge the sponge) but that is fine... they can't be too cold at this point. The only point where it makes a difference is weight of the tank when shipping back. That is why you have to pour the liquid nitrogen out before return shipping... to get the correct weight and to avoid DHL thinking you are shipping a bomb.

#16 of 17 Old 03-11-2009, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Thank You! Glad to know. what a crazy cycle! We are going to the welding place right now to have it refilled. Maybe then I can relax more!

When I just spoke to he guy at the Welding place on the phone he said we have to only transport it in a pickup truck for safety-spill reasons.
We don't have a truck so we are hoping he'll let us do it in the back of our subaru.

I am so glad you kind people here told me about refilling the tanks or I would have had no idea that I could do that.
Meanwhile, CD 21 and still just inching along.
#17 of 17 Old 03-15-2009, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

I may have missed my ovulation- after all this~ I don't know. sigh

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page