Mothering Magazine - What's Kickin' - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 03-06-2009, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone read the article in the newest mothering magazine about lesbian parenting? I'm curious about the article, and what it was all about.
Thanks ladies!!!
#2 of 8 Old 03-13-2009, 10:48 AM

Well I just subscribed to mothering magazines digital version just to read it lol and it is very short. It just talks about how studies have been conducted since 1986 and they found that we raise just as stable, healthy families as heterosexual families (that's it in a nutshell).
#3 of 8 Old 03-19-2009, 06:00 PM

I enjoyed it, but it was really short.
#4 of 8 Old 03-20-2009, 02:30 PM

Nothing we didn't already know, right?

But it's nice to have the word spread around, regardless.

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#5 of 8 Old 03-22-2009, 10:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i was thinking of getting a digital subscription since i saw highlights for this article. far cheaper and more environmentally friendly!

i will agree, that is something we have known for years! other people are just starting to open their eyes to it! i wish more people knew of fully functional lesbian and gay families - perhaps then they wouldn't think it was sooo weird.

giggle - mommy to GP born 3.16.09 and parter to liberty (GP's mama). hoping to have 2 under 2 in the very near future via DP's ute!
#6 of 8 Old 03-24-2009, 07:04 PM

some studies have even shown that 2 female parents raise BETTER kids than male/female couples. (also, not surprising!) unfortunately, the federal government doesn't fund many studies about same-sex couples...maybe our new pres. will help on that front!

rainbow1284.gifbeth  stillheart.gifDW   blahblah.gif DD  Nov. 2009 and 1sttri.gif due Feb. 2013

#7 of 8 Old 03-24-2009, 07:09 PM

You're right Woahbethy. Another interesting finding (and I suppose your perspective on it depends on your gender politics) across many of these studies is that children raised by same sex parents (well, mostly female couples - there's often not enough male couples in a given sample to make claims) are less wedded to gender norms than children raised in het families. Makes me happy.

Professional nerd, DP to Megan and mommy to 3 y/o Bam Bam . TTC since January '09.  Welcomed our new babes May 22, 2011. Now living life in the NICU one day at a time.
#8 of 8 Old 03-28-2009, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cejae View Post
You're right Woahbethy. Another interesting finding (and I suppose your perspective on it depends on your gender politics) across many of these studies is that children raised by same sex parents (well, mostly female couples - there's often not enough male couples in a given sample to make claims) are less wedded to gender norms than children raised in het families. Makes me happy.
*nodding* That makes me happy too.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page