Sperm donors/ self insemination - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 03-09-2009, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can anyone help me with this? Im not even sure how to go about getting started. I live in south GA, do I need to find a sperm donor place near me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 03-09-2009, 02:53 PM

A "sperm donor place" is also known as a Sperm Bank. You can search online for sperm banks and find any number of possibilities. Some banks will only ship to a doctor's office, but some will ship directly to your house.

Some popular banks to look up:

Midwest Sperm Bank
Sperm Bank of California
California Cryobank

Each bank has a website with all of the information about how to order sperm. Most require the signature of a doctor or midwife, stating that you are in good health.

The sperm ordering part is actually the easy part. Figuring out the timing of when to inseminate is what gets tricky. I highly recommend reading a book like "Take Charge Of Your Fertility" as a first step. My favorite about using donor sperm is: "The New Essential Guide To Lesbian Conception, Pregnancy and Birth."

HTH!

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 5, 6, 8, 9, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#3 of 3 Old 03-09-2009, 05:22 PM

Welcome destany08

Xytex sperm bank is out of Atlanta and Augusta GA. But you don't have to be close to use them... we used them and live in MI.

What you need is a friendly doctor and/or midwife to sign a release for you to have the sperm delivered to your home for self insemination. We had a great midwife and our GP was also very supportive of our process.

Northwest Andrology is the only bank I know that will allow you to have sperm shipped to your house without a doctor signing off on it.

Come join the women in the Queer Conceptions thread for advice on all things related to queer baby making.

Good Luck!

smartycatpartners.gif quasar.  Mommies to two boys.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page