LGBT Families Conference - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 03-11-2009, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone else planning to attend? https://www.prideandjoyconference.org/

That would be great to meet other MDC families!

Mama with DD (01/04) and DD (08/09)
#2 of 16 Old 03-12-2009, 08:05 PM

We'd love to go, but unfortunately already have plans for that weekend--rats! It looks like fun!
#3 of 16 Old 03-12-2009, 08:48 PM

It looks like something that might be fun to attend when the kids are older and could partake in workshops of their own, but at this point I can't see that we'd get a whole lot out of it with the kids in childcare and Lena and I taking workshops to learn about queer parents.

But I'd probably feel differently if we weren't surrounded by queer families on a daily basis already. I remember going to gay youth conferences as a teen and feeling like the main point was just to meet other gay youth; I didn't learn anything in the sessions I attended.

As a side note, just today Luke and Jaz requested that we set up playdates with two of their kindergarten classmates who happen to both come from two-mom families themselves, and I wondered if it was just a coincidence or what. They've never mentioned anything about it, but I wonder if they are drawn towards kids who come from families like theirs (of the 36 kindergartners, 7 have two moms, so it's not a huge percentage).

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#4 of 16 Old 03-12-2009, 10:27 PM

I actually would love to go. I think that connecting with other queer families would be great, and Raene, I feel like our families are similar in many ways- trans dads, etc. I'd love to meet you guys, and have my DP meet yours. (He's totally longing for some trans dad connections...)

Unfortunately, I've already made plans for that weekend, which are actually quite exciting. I'm going on a personal retreat at the Woolman Hill Quaker Retreat Center in western Mass! (Thanks, KJM, for suggesting this!) I'm going by myself, and staying in a log cabin in the woods, and I really can't wait. This will be my first weekend alone since Ocean was born, and while I'm nervous about being away from her, I'm also really, really excited to have some "me time."

Hmm, maybe it's time to plan an MDC queer parenting meetup somewhere though? A summer camping weekend, perhaps? Anyone?

A, partner to J, mama to O, now with a new username!

Building queer family since 2008!

(and oh, did i mention we're having twins?!?)

#5 of 16 Old 03-13-2009, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Angela, I know what you mean. It would be so great to meet your family and connect with other trans-families.

As it is, I'm in a very lesbian-centered town, but we know of only two couples who have kids, and I am always hesitant to just say "hey, let's hang out b/c we're all queer." Lol.

I think that would be great to organize some sort of get-together for queer parents from MDC. How much fun that could be!

We'll be in western Mass the weekend when this queer conference is happening (well, on Friday), b/c we're going to get legally married before the conference (the conference is in between where we are and W. Mass) so DP can be on the birth certificate. If anyone wants to meet up, we'll be in the Lenox area.

#6 of 16 Old 03-16-2009, 11:12 AM

We're about 25-30 min from Lenox, and could possibly meet up, depending on the timing (we have another conference that weekend, but it's local to us)
#7 of 16 Old 03-18-2009, 11:21 AM

Thanks for the heads up - we are definitely going to try to go, and I'm publicizing it to my various lists here too... it looks like a great opportunity to make some connections, and also to sort of prepare for what's to come - our son is just now beginning to really "get" the differences, and as he gets to be school age, I want to make sure we're prepared... I think we are, but it's always good to hear other people's perspectives and ideas as well...

And anyways, who can beat an indoor pool and a family dance?!
#8 of 16 Old 03-18-2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pleasantstreets View Post

And anyways, who can beat an indoor pool and a family dance?!
Family dance?!? How did I miss this?

Hmm, now I REALLY wish we could go!

#9 of 16 Old 03-19-2009, 01:52 PM

We're not going, but it sounds awesome. I think I would really enjoy it!
#10 of 16 Old 03-24-2009, 04:09 PM

I just wanted to bump this because today's the last day for the early-registration discount - if you're thinking of going, sign up now so you can save the $!

Hope to see some other MDC mamas, babas, and others there!
#11 of 16 Old 03-24-2009, 04:12 PM

And how did we miss this? Congratulations on your upcoming nuptials! They are obviously just a formality since you're clearly already "married" in every way that counts, but still... congrats!

(oh, and we'll be there and my partner is trans-identified [though less outwardly so now that we have the kiddo - longish story] Just wanted to say hi and hope to meet you and yours at the conference)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raene View Post
Angela, I know what you mean. It would be so great to meet your family and connect with other trans-families.

As it is, I'm in a very lesbian-centered town, but we know of only two couples who have kids, and I am always hesitant to just say "hey, let's hang out b/c we're all queer." Lol.

I think that would be great to organize some sort of get-together for queer parents from MDC. How much fun that could be!

We'll be in western Mass the weekend when this queer conference is happening (well, on Friday), b/c we're going to get legally married before the conference (the conference is in between where we are and W. Mass) so DP can be on the birth certificate. If anyone wants to meet up, we'll be in the Lenox area.
#12 of 16 Old 03-25-2009, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, Pleasant, I'm so sad to miss you! We decided that we should maximize our vacation time since it may be our last for a long while (at least our last pre-baby) and we are planning to stay in Mass. now since we'll be over there getting married (again).

Bummer! I hope you enjoy the conference! It sounds great.

#13 of 16 Old 03-25-2009, 11:15 AM

PleasantStreets,

You guys are in boston, right? We should connect sometime. My partner is also trans/genderqueer identified, and we'd love to meet other families...

#14 of 16 Old 03-26-2009, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexbeach View Post
(of the 36 kindergartners, 7 have two moms, so it's not a huge percentage).

Lex
bolding mine

lol- 7/36??? That is a huge percentage most anywhere else in the world!!!!!

We are planning to be in p-town during the same week as this but I doubt we will actually register or attend any events.

Me.  With 1 spouse, 4 kids, 16 chickens, 74 matchbox cars, 968,562+ legos, a dishwasher waiting to be emptied, a washing machine waiting to be filled and a lost cup of tea in the house.

#15 of 16 Old 03-26-2009, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumm View Post
bolding mine

lol- 7/36??? That is a huge percentage most anywhere else in the world!!!!!

We are planning to be in p-town during the same week as this but I doubt we will actually register or attend any events.

Sometimes I forget just how much of a bubble we live in. I guess that's why we live here! It still doesn't seem like a huge percentage to me considering the local population.

I would LOVE to be in p-town during family week. How did you find a place to stay? I can't seem to find any family-friendly rentals (most have a "4 people maximum" restriction, we'll be SIX by August).

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#16 of 16 Old 03-26-2009, 12:39 PM

We were shocked by the 4 person max rule for most hotels after the twins were born and for the first year of their lives we just mentioned the two adults, two kids and neglected to mention two babies. We are going to be camping in Truro so it won't be a problem.

Me.  With 1 spouse, 4 kids, 16 chickens, 74 matchbox cars, 968,562+ legos, a dishwasher waiting to be emptied, a washing machine waiting to be filled and a lost cup of tea in the house.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page