shipping fresh semen! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 03-12-2009, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi there,
I'm new to this forum and excited to see that so many people post so frequently! My partner and I flew across the country last week to try an in-person insemination but that is going to get expensive fast...

I found some old posts about shipping fresh semen from a known donor using BioTranz or something similar.

Has anyone actually done this? I guess my confusion is that if the fresh semen is shipped and you still inseminate at home? Or, does it have to be washed and used for IUI?

Thanks!

rainbow1284.gifbeth  stillheart.gifDW   blahblah.gif DD  Nov. 2009 and 1sttri.gif due Feb. 2013

#2 of 13 Old 03-12-2009, 08:45 PM

I think we may be the new poster family for biotranz!

We have used it three times and gotten pregnant two times. The first resulted in a m/c and the second is in my wife's belly at this moment!

You do not need to have the sperm washed in order to use BioTranz. You just need to know that since the donor adds the test yolk buffer that there's a whole lot more liquid in the test tube than were it just the semen. But, you can have it washed and do an IUI, but that is dependent on your doc being okay doing that as there are some technicalities to scoot around if it is a known donor.

Feel free to ask more questions, and welcome!!!!

be well,
megin

Mommy to an amazing 8 year old, wife to an inspiring principal, and welcoming Wylie Grace! Our July 4th babe!
#3 of 13 Old 03-18-2009, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter

hey megin,
if you don't mind me asking, did you guys use it with or without the washing? did you feel like either way worked better? my doc seemed hesitant to do the KD washing an insem...but, we are coming on the time to either buy plane tickets or buy BioTranz, and it's about to be decision time.

thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by megincl View Post
I think we may be the new poster family for biotranz!

We have used it three times and gotten pregnant two times. The first resulted in a m/c and the second is in my wife's belly at this moment!

You do not need to have the sperm washed in order to use BioTranz. You just need to know that since the donor adds the test yolk buffer that there's a whole lot more liquid in the test tube than were it just the semen. But, you can have it washed and do an IUI, but that is dependent on your doc being okay doing that as there are some technicalities to scoot around if it is a known donor.

Feel free to ask more questions, and welcome!!!!

be well,
megin

rainbow1284.gifbeth  stillheart.gifDW   blahblah.gif DD  Nov. 2009 and 1sttri.gif due Feb. 2013

#4 of 13 Old 03-18-2009, 10:49 PM

We ship fresh using the kit sold in connection with Rainbow Flag Health Services. I'm told it is the same buffer but the kit is cheaper. Plus Les, the guy who runs Rainbow Flag, will sell you extra buffer so you don't have to buy new kits over and over again each month. (Though hopefully that won't be an issue!) We don't wash it, just insem buffer and all.

We've been doing it for 6 cycles and no pregnancy yet (but I think last cycle might have come close.) However, three of those 6 cycles were either badly timed (my cycles changes suddenly) or had shipping delays due to bad weather so it was highly unlikely that they would have worked anyway.

Good Luck!

Queer poly family trying since October 2006. Currently using a known donor and no medical interventions.
#5 of 13 Old 03-19-2009, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoabethy View Post
hey megin,
if you don't mind me asking, did you guys use it with or without the washing? did you feel like either way worked better? my doc seemed hesitant to do the KD washing an insem...but, we are coming on the time to either buy plane tickets or buy BioTranz, and it's about to be decision time.

thanks!
We have done it three times and here's our track record:

1. one insem unwashed. two days later, washed and IUI -- not pregnant
2. one IUI with washed -- pregnant, then m/c
3. one IUI with washed. I asked them to leave me about 1cc (we had about 5ccs with the semen and test yolk buffer). I kept that out on our freezing porch in the packaging and we did an at-home, unwashed insem with that later the same night because we were way before Katie would O (we were leaving on a trip the next day) - pregnant! I really think it was the extra unwashed stuff since I think it would live longer, but who knows.

I think washing it is totally fine. The nurse who washed ours the second time checked it under the scope and said it was an amazing post-wash count, so it doesn't seem damaging in any way to "the goods."

Let us know what you decide, and good luck!

megin

Mommy to an amazing 8 year old, wife to an inspiring principal, and welcoming Wylie Grace! Our July 4th babe!
#6 of 13 Old 10-04-2009, 08:53 PM

I have a couple of shipping questions about sperm shipping.
1) If the sperm stays cold from a cold pack and we receive it within 24 hours do we need to add the buffer that comes in the shipping kit? What is the purpose of that? We will be doing IUI unwashed, the Physician said if it's unwashed it will just cause a little cramping. We have a friend that is a donor and was trying to save some money so we would be doing fresh sample in cold pack and going directly to IUI Dr.
2) Will the sperm sample survive 24-48 hours in cold insulated pack for IUI.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would love to use a sperm bank but that would cost almost 700.00 every cycle.
#7 of 13 Old 10-04-2009, 09:01 PM

jcox -- Welcome!

You should definitely wash any sample that you'll use for an IUI. I think what your doctor told you is quite misleading. I'm not an expert on all the things that could occur, but you need the stuff washed.

The test yolk buffer, I believe, creates the critical environment for the sperm to stay alive while cooled. It creates the difference, in essence, between sending some semen with a cold pack and what you actually send when you use these kits.

Though at first it can seem like a lot to swallow paying $70-95 bucks for the kit, it's well worth it and definitely below the price for frozen anonymous.

And yes, I do trust that the sample will survive definitely the 24 hours, and probably 48.

Good luck!

#8 of 13 Old 10-04-2009, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcox90 View Post
I have a couple of shipping questions about sperm shipping.
1) If the sperm stays cold from a cold pack and we receive it within 24 hours do we need to add the buffer that comes in the shipping kit? What is the purpose of that? We will be doing IUI unwashed, the Physician said if it's unwashed it will just cause a little cramping. We have a friend that is a donor and was trying to save some money so we would be doing fresh sample in cold pack and going directly to IUI Dr.
I do not know anything about shipping sperm, besides, yes, you need to use the kit for best results, you can just ship it with a cold pack and hope, but you won't get the best results that way.

However, I do know a lot about shipping things (used to work in shipping and receiving):
- Send it FedEx overnight, guaranteed 9:00 AM delivery. You will have better luck if you send it for pick up at your local depot, if you have a business address you can use, and if you live in a major city. FedEx can be late, and that sucks. Keep in mind that guaranteed delivery will not be possible on Sundays, likely not possible on Saturdays. So, basically, you can ship on Monday, unless it's a holiday, Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday. (And watch out for Thanksgiving and local holidays.)

- Have your donor produce the sample and send it at the last possible minute. That means dropping it off at the nearest depot (not a store with a FedEx counter or *worse* a drop box) and that means calling ahead to find out what time the last possible minute is. Depending on where he is, that may be 2:00 PM or 6:00 PM or it may not even be possible to get next day delivery. Again, being in a major city helps, as does having a friend who does s/r for a big company wtih a $$$$ corporate account.

- Look into everything ahead of time. And then double check it. Fed Ex will be reluctant to give you this, but see if you can track down the local depot's phone number, at his end and yours. Having this is the difference between talking to someone in a call center who-knows-where and talking to someone who can say "Yup, I'm looking right at your package now." The best way to get these numbers is to go into your local depot and casually ask to get their direct line.

- One tip to save shipping charges: Have the company you order the kit from send it to him...why ship it to you and then reship it? Makes no sense!

Ok, enough about shippping....

I am typically pretty blunt, so don't be put off by my manner. You need a new doctor.

Your doctor is wrong. The advice you were given is not only misleading, but potentially extremely dangerous. I'm not being overly alarmist when I say that you could die and you have a much higher likelihood of serious pain and infection than you do of pregnancy with an unwashed sample that is placed into your uterus via IUI.

Briefly, the role of the cervix and the cervical mucus is to filter out impurities, bacteria, and everything else from the semen and only let the sperm pass through. Bypassing the cervix with an IUI eliminates this function, so it needs to be done through mechanical means before the insemination, i.e. the "washing" of the sperm - which really involves separating the sperm from the semen and everything else.

Secondly, you'll be using the buffer kit, and you do not want to inject the buffer directly into your uterus. The buffer is designed to help preserve the sperm, and it is not designed to be placed inside your uterus. Also, in terms of volume, the amount of sperm that passes through the cervix is quite small. Your uterus is not designed to have the semen and the sperm and the buffer solution inside it. At a minimum, most of it will leak out through the cervix or fall into the abdominal cavity through the fallopian tubes.

So, the consequences of this are:
1. You will end up with *severe* cramping, that I know. Someone on here was accidentally inseminated with unwashed sperm at a fertility clinic, check the infertility forum for her account of that ordeal. This is my guess: the pain and the cramping will potentially cause your uterus to reject the embryo, if an egg fertilizes.

The cramping is caused by prostaglandins, which are a chemicals in the semen which causes uterine contractions.

2. You could end up with an infection caused by placing the semen into the uterus. Keep in mind that a uterine infection could lead to infertility or at minimum, sitting a cycle or two out while it gets resolved.

3. Potential toxicity from the buffer solution. It's designed to be separated from the sperm before insemination. It is not designed to be used internally. Who knows what could happen? Perhaps call Overnight Male's customer service line and find out.

All that said, here's a link that explains it. You should show this to your doctor if you ever see hir again: http://www.womens-health.co.uk/why-s...y-for-iui.html

Now, all that said, as stridently as I did, you could find out if you even need to do an IUI. It's possible that the cold-pack approach without the buffer kit would work, and then you can do an IVI at home.

You'll still be spending a lot of money on shipping, with unknown outcomes. If you do that route, maybe try it once and get a kit to do a sperm motility and count analysis yourself (you can get that online for a couple hundred bucks). There's no point in wasting your money fedexing dead sperm around.

Alternately, you might want to consider finding a local donor, or doing an insemination only every second cycle so that you can save up the $$$ to do it safely. Good luck!

Added:
Oh, and when Twylight above says "we don't wash it" she's not doing IUI with unwashed sperm, she's doing an IVI, or intravaginal insem. I am 99.99999%certain of that.

SPBC Finally a Papa! Elise Ember Soleil - 10/3/10 - 4:09 AM - 6 lbs 8 oz My daughter eats donor milk! Human milk for human babies!
#9 of 13 Old 10-04-2009, 11:23 PM

Hats off to Papa for knowing all the details. He's the king of that around here, just so you know.

And I concur on the doc front.

Finally, you could have the donor try the sperm on ice trick sans buffer. Have him ejaculate, keep the stuff on ice for 24 hours (an ice pack, not in the freezer) and then administer one of the sperm count test kits himself. It'd save a shipping trip....

And yes, while shipping CAN save money (not always), it has many hazards, so definitely be sure to know ALL of them ahead of time.

Best of luck,
megin

#10 of 13 Old 10-07-2009, 09:51 AM

Wow if what Papa said is true (and it definitely sounds like he knows what he is talking about) then that's some pretty scary stuff.

New doctor time!
#11 of 13 Old 11-11-2011, 03:50 PM

Hello, I am new to this- I am having a family member donate sperm and considered buying this BIO-TRANZ SEMEN SHIPPER kit and wondered a few things because its very unclear to me by what i've read online. If you might have the answers I need, I would greatly appreciate the help.

1. I see two tubes in the kit- is that to be able to use two deposits of semen to ship for one use?

2. I realize the instructions will explain this- but as I wont be the one getting the kit, I wanted to know after the semen deposit has been made and frozen/refridgerated, when the donor ships, how long after is the sample good for? And can the recipient store it in their home until they need it?

3. When you say you used it twice and have had two successful pregnancies- do you mean you injected the donor sperm once per prengnacy? In other words, was it a success after one injection?

4. Where do I buy the in home insemination supplies?

I know these questions are things a doctor will be able to answer, but we havent seen a doctor yet and we are just trying to get the answers before hand, so thank you for offering to answer any questions.

#12 of 13 Old 12-01-2011, 10:16 AM

I'd love to know the answer to this as well!

>>2. I realize the instructions will explain this- but as I wont be the one getting the kit, I wanted to know after the semen deposit has been made and frozen/refridgerated, when the donor ships, how long after is the sample good for? And can the recipient store it in their home until they need it?

#13 of 13 Old 01-22-2012, 12:37 PM

I also am new to this and need some help.  I have a friend willing to donate semen who lives accross the country.  I want to be able to inseminate myself.  Is this possible to do with fresh shipped semen?  Cannot I not do this myself without a doctor's help? 

Any links or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page