Finding a place to store my sperm vials - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 03-17-2009, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I am wondering if anyone knows what kind of a place I should look for in order to store my frozen sperm vials until next cycle. Right now I am paying 20 a day "overtime" to tsbc to have these vials here. But I may have missed my ovulation this cycle, despite obsessive monitoring! I never got a full +opk, and never had full fertile signs, and my temps are still low- but, I had a few almost +opks and who knows. anyway- Here I am at CD27 and everthing feels about the same as it has all cycle. So if I have in fact missed my O, I want to store these vials in a local place so I don't lose them and try again next cycle.
What kind of places store them and how do I find one?
Thanks
#2 of 9 Old 03-17-2009, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well you'll need to find a sperm or tissue bank if you want someone to store it for you. We tried this, but found that it was rather expensive to set up (long term it would be ok, but we're nto storing long term... Last month we missed an ovulation, and were able to ship the sperm back to the bank, and they just stored it for us and shipped it back this month (we're now waiting for the next O...) It cost us $100 in shipping fees. I'm with Midwest though, I don't know what other banks' policies are.

ribbonrainbow.gif: mamas to one DD (5/08) and two DS's (11/9/10 @ 35wks)
blogging.jpgnocirc.gifdelayedvax.gifgd.gif1pump.giftoddler.giffamilybed2.gifcd.gif
#3 of 9 Old 03-17-2009, 09:37 AM

I would say if you are giving up on this cycle, to ship the tank back to the bank and have it sent out again next month. The shipping fees will be less than the $20/day late fees.

smartycatpartners.gif quasar.  Mommies to two boys.
#4 of 9 Old 03-17-2009, 09:44 AM

We kept a vial of sperm (before it became baby #4) at a local reproductive biology lab (affiliated with the closest BIG hospital). It cost $35 to store it there for about 6 weeks. I would think that calling a local reproductive endocrinologist and inquiring about sperm storage would be your best bet for finding someplace local (but I don't know if sending the sperm bank to the bank might be the best choice anyway). FWIW, the bank we used did not charge us for keeping the tank longer than a week. That seems sketchy to me.

HTH!

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#5 of 9 Old 03-17-2009, 10:24 AM

yeah, call the local fertility clinic. or, tsbc will allow you to ship back and then have them resent. but, if you can find somewhere local it will probably be cheaper.

sorry. what a hassle!

A, partner to J, mama to O, now with a new username!

Building queer family since 2008!

(and oh, did i mention we're having twins?!?)

#6 of 9 Old 03-17-2009, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexbeach View Post
FWIW, the bank we used did not charge us for keeping the tank longer than a week. That seems sketchy to me.
A lot of banks charge a late fee per day for keeping the tank. Some are stricter about it than others. Xytex says they charge a fee but they never ended up charging us when we had to keep the tank a few days to a week longer. But we kept in touch with them so they knew we weren't just being lazy and not sending it back in a timely fashion.

smartycatpartners.gif quasar.  Mommies to two boys.
#7 of 9 Old 03-17-2009, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thanks. I will look into all that- except- joy joy joy- just today things are starting to feel fertile-y for me! Not quite ewcm but definately fertile-y cm just today!
So I think we are still in the running this cycle

I also think it is totally lame that tsbc would charge us 20/day to keep the tanks longer. I felt a lot of pressure from them to "get my shipping date in a week before I needed it" which I think led me to have it shipped early. And they are supposed to be "non-profit"
But other than that I have been fine with them, so I don't mind too much I guess.
Anyway- still possibly going to make a baby this cycle, so I will see what happens.
#8 of 9 Old 03-18-2009, 04:07 AM

I think all sperm banks charge a fee for sending it back late. At least they say they do. I was first using Fairfax and a few times kept the tank a week longer then I was suppose to and they never charged me. I have been using Midwest and the fertility meds I was taking last cycle caused me to ovulate late and I kept the tank a week longer then I was suppose to and even though it says on their website late fees are $25 per day it's late, I wasn't charged a thing.

Good Luck!
I hope you get that positive OPK soon!!
#9 of 9 Old 03-18-2009, 08:35 AM

All I know is that we usually kept the tank for two weeks and were never charged a late fee. One time we kept it for three weeks. And there was never any mention of a late fee either (though I don't know if that's changed in the last 3 years). We were using California Cryobank.

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page