2 vials insem'ed, only one left- maybe insem'ed too early? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 03-21-2009, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hi,

I got a +opk yesterday (Friday) at 11:00am.
when would have been the ideal times to insem with my three vials of washed sperm for an ICI?

I think I did it too early and I only have one left- so any advice on how to salvage this?

See, I got my +opk on CD 30 and I was just so eager and excited that I did the first one right away. then later I was like-uh, too early!

So we did the 2nd one this morning- which is 20 hours after my first +opk. Temp is still low this morning. So if I ovulate 48 hours after first +opk then that is 11am tomorrow. but I may ovulate earlier. I think I still haven't. But I think I was thinking the sperm can live around 24 hiurs- or at least 12, but rereading old posts I am thinking more like 6 or 8.

So when should I do the last vial?
Tonight at 11pm would be 36 hours past 1st +opk
It would also be 15 and a 1/2 hours past the most recent insem.
Or do I wait till tomorrow morning?

I am kindof regretting my first insem- may have wasted it.
#2 of 11 Old 03-21-2009, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would do it at 36hrs post +OPK

smartycatpartners.gif quasar.  Mommies to two boys.
#3 of 11 Old 03-21-2009, 01:17 PM

I think right away is too early, but you don't want to wait too long either! I'd do the last vial at 36 hours post +OPK.

astropeep and I have learned (from ultrasounds) that she has a much shorter time lag between +OPK and ovulation than some women -- about twelve hours. So if you don't get a BFP this cycle, in future I'd do the first then and the second at 36.

How long sperm live is entirely dependent on whether they're fresh or frozen -- fresh can live for several days (which is why you start getting good CM and, maybe, feeling horny a few days before you ovulate) and frozen only for about a day.

Washed sperm for an ICI, though? I thought you were only supposed to use washed for IUI, and unwashed for ICI?
#4 of 11 Old 03-22-2009, 12:10 AM - Thread Starter

I just did it, 36 hours past +opk.
#5 of 11 Old 03-22-2009, 11:06 AM

good luck!

smartycatpartners.gif quasar.  Mommies to two boys.
#6 of 11 Old 03-22-2009, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

So, 1DPo and I think I messed up my timing I mean, who knows. I don't feel anything- and I know it is very likely to not feel pregnant 1dpo and still be but still- I think I missed my window, even with three vials insemed in 2 days!
Because- obviously I basically threw away vial #1 by using it too early. Then vial #2 was good timing- 20 hrs past +opk. But then there were 14 hours until my next insem- and I think ovulated around 4pm yesterday. So- I had an insem at 7:30 am, and then at 9:30 pm. Mostly because I was out during the daya and had to babysit in the evening- but I could have gone home between 2-4 or something and insem'ed #3. Instead, either #2 had to still be around (it may have been only 8 and a 1/2 hours past insem so that might be ok) or #3 had to catch the egg on her way down. I feel pretty sad somehow, thinking it didn't work. I hope I switch to optimistic. I mean, we did insem 3 vials between mhy +opk and my ovulation- so that is something.
#7 of 11 Old 03-22-2009, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie34 View Post
So, 1DPo and I think I messed up my timing

vial #2 was good timing- 20 hrs past +opk. But then there were 14 hours until my next insem- and I think ovulated around 4pm yesterday. So- I had an insem at 7:30 am, and then at 9:30 pm.
I think that's fine timing! I haven't seen anything to suggest even frozen sperm don't live at least 12 hours, and the egg lives for about a day post ovulation, so either the 7:30 or the 9:30 would be a good possibility if you ovulated mid-afternoon.

If you had to catch ovulation within a couple of hours nobody would ever get pregnant!
#8 of 11 Old 03-22-2009, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fozziebear View Post
I think that's fine timing! I haven't seen anything to suggest even frozen sperm don't live at least 12 hours, and the egg lives for about a day post ovulation, so either the 7:30 or the 9:30 would be a good possibility if you ovulated mid-afternoon.

If you had to catch ovulation within a couple of hours nobody would ever get pregnant!
Thanks so much, Fozzie. I know what you mean! I was like- how in the world can people conceive like this if you have to be within 6 hours of the fricking egg drop?!! Okay- so now I will just see. hoping for our miracle. so so so much! Thanks again.
#9 of 11 Old 03-22-2009, 04:50 PM

i think this sounds like perfect timing! ttc can make you feel like a failure even when you've done everything right. try to take a day or two off before you start obsessing about POAS-ing.

good luck!

A, partner to J, mama to O, now with a new username!

Building queer family since 2008!

(and oh, did i mention we're having twins?!?)

#10 of 11 Old 03-22-2009, 07:05 PM

That timing sounds great! I've heard that once sperm is in your uterus (like for IUI) that it may only live as long as 8 hours, but otherwise I think it lives at least 24 hours (and I have a feeling that some sperm might live longer than 8 hours even with IUI).

:

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#11 of 11 Old 03-22-2009, 09:25 PM

Agreeing that I think your timing sounds good. GOOD LUCK!!! I'll keep you in my thoughts! :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page