At-home IUI - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

#31 of 40 Old 03-06-2012, 07:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thanks, our sperm was purchased from Fairfax but it's been in storage at a local fertility lab to be used with an RE so it came with nothing.  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 40 Old 03-10-2012, 12:44 PM

Okay, another question, lol... my friend (the midwife) suggested buying some sterile saline to flush the IUI catheter with to make sure all the sperm gets into the uterus. Has anyone done this? 

#33 of 40 Old 03-10-2012, 12:53 PM

We didn't but I could see the value in it.

carrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif 10, 8, 1 & 1
#34 of 40 Old 03-13-2012, 07:39 AM

Don't do it- I'm pretty sure you'll kill some sperm! Our bank specifically warns against rinsing the syringe with anything, as even water can kill sperm.

If you put the catheter on the syringe first, before you draw up the sperm, then use the tip of the catheter to draw all the sperm out of the vial, you should then be able to plunge the syringe and fully empty the catheter into the uterus.

We did have a situation once where somehow some air got in to the syringe, and not all the sperm was emptied out. My DP then removed the catheter from the syringe, drew back on the syringe to pull in a tiny bit of air, reattached it, and then reinserted it and plunged. Does that make sense?

A, partner to J, mama to O, now with a new username!

Building queer family since 2008!

(and oh, did i mention we're having twins?!?)

#35 of 40 Old 03-14-2012, 05:00 AM

From what I recall, saline is safer than water (water follows salt, if the saline has the same amount of salt as semen, balance is maintained.  If the sperm cells have more salt than the surrounding water, water rushes into the cell trying to achieve osmotic balance and the spermies explode), but we did like Angela said.  We drew up through the cath and kept the cath pointed down so the bubble stayed at the top to push everything back out, and not go into the body.

carrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif 10, 8, 1 & 1
#36 of 40 Old 10-18-2014, 10:52 AM

I am interested in doing a home iui insemination with my next cycle. I have the centrifuge, speculum but need the sperm media wash and catheters. I purchased some but is not long enough to reach my uterus. I can't afford to continue doing cycles at the doctors office with treatments. Do you have any suppliers that would sell to a non medical consumer? Also, does anyone know any food midwives in St. Louis, MO that could be of help?
#37 of 40 Old 10-20-2014, 02:04 PM

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
You will need a tomcat catheter. There was a website on page 1 of this thread that sells them. I think it's call inseminationsupplies.com. I don't know if they sell the wash medium though. I've never heard of anyone washing the sperm themselves at home. I believe most of us used frozen sperm that had already been washed by the bank.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#38 of 40 Old 10-21-2014, 01:01 PM

Ok thanks. I will order the catheters from them. I was hoping to be able to get the wash media to wash at home as well. I'll try to find a clinic that will wash it for a fee as someone stated previously. If anyone knows of a clinic that will do it for me in St. Louis, please let me know. Thanks again!
#39 of 40 Old 10-21-2014, 05:06 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hi mrswalter... I ordered from inseminationsupplies.com last month, and the tomcat catheters, worked okay, not ideal, but got the job done. I have to warn you it took almost a week and a half for them to get to me though, so give yourself some extra time if you can! I don't know a think about the washing medium... good luck!
#40 of 40 Old 10-27-2014, 06:42 AM

Thanks for that feedback. I just places my order. Hopefully get here within a week. I have some time though.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page