At-home IUI - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 35 Old 04-07-2009, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I *know* there's been a post on this recently but I cannot find it.

We want to do IUI at home when we start next cycle. We will do the first one at the midwife's office ($200?!) so we can also get a lesson and stuff, then we'll do the rest at home.

Where can we buy what we need to do the IUIs? I looked on line but I'm not even sure what needs to be in the kit? A 3cc syringe comes with the sperm, and I know we need sterile gloves, sterile covering for the "workstation", catheter (what size?)...what else?

Thanks!

Me + DP + 2 rescue lap dogs = True Love Always
#2 of 35 Old 04-07-2009, 09:18 PM

Hi Milletpuff.
We've done at home IUI. My partner was taught by a midwife friend how to do it when we were still doing frozen. We still use the IUI caths for our vaginal insems because it is easier to control. We get them here: http://www.zdlinc.com/iui_and_insemi....html#zavosiui
You'd think we could find it cheaper, especially since Jake is a Nurse Practioner, but this really was the best deal we could find.
Good luck!

Queer poly family trying since October 2006. Currently using a known donor and no medical interventions.
#3 of 35 Old 04-08-2009, 03:41 AM - Thread Starter

Hi fellow Portland womb! Thanks, this is great. Anything else that you buy?

#4 of 35 Old 04-09-2009, 03:15 PM

You'll also need a speculum, and a good flashlight (I've heard headlamps work well since whoever is performing the IUI won't be able to hold a flashlight).

Good luck!

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#5 of 35 Old 04-17-2009, 06:14 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
You do not need sterile gloves, especially if you do not touch the IUI catheter. We did almost a handful of at home IUI's with no sterile workstations or gloves. We were just sure to be careful with what the end of the IUI catheter(where it goes into your uterus). Never had any bad outcomes. We did, however, get these two small children that now follow us around...

Non Practicing Midwife, going back to school! Mamma to my 3 loves, living each day to the fullest.
#6 of 35 Old 04-17-2009, 10:11 AM

"We did almost a handful of at home IUI's with no sterile workstations or gloves."

As a student nurse I do want to say here that it is important to keep things as sterile as possible! Catheter-associated urinary tract infection (CAUTI) are common and NOT something you want to get! Some people are lucky, but don't take chances. It is not difficult to sterilize, so no reason not to be "extra" careful. Just a friendly tip.
#7 of 35 Old 04-17-2009, 12:43 PM

Hi Tricia,

The catheter is not a urinary catheter, but rather a catheter that goes through the cervix into the uterus.

I seem to remember having to have a tom cat catheter used for one of mine, it's called that because it was originally developed to catherterize male (tom) cats.

FWIW, my old RE did not use sterile gloves. She wore latex gloves, yes, but from a box, not sterile surgical gloves. The catheters are single-use, they're in sterile packaging, so if you maintain the sterile field by not allowing anything to touch the cather, you'll be fine.

Incidentally, there's no such thing as "sterile as possible" things are either sterile, or they are not. It's not like "clean" - clean is a continuum from filthy to clean, but sterile is dichotomous.

You need to keep EVERYTHING as clean as possible, and you need to keep anything that goes into the cervix sterile (except for the sperm - we want the sperm to be non-sterile!)

SPBC Finally a Papa! Elise Ember Soleil - 10/3/10 - 4:09 AM - 6 lbs 8 oz My daughter eats donor milk! Human milk for human babies!
#8 of 35 Old 04-20-2009, 11:54 PM

for ZDLINC products go to Ebay Store Zavos Fertility Store, we got our Catherters for 9.00!!!
#9 of 35 Old 01-31-2010, 04:57 PM

Has anyone used this catheter? It has a flexible curve to it, seems like it would be more comfortable? It also says this one is specifically designed for human use. We are thinking about DIY IUI soon.

http://www.zdlinc.com/iui_and_insemination.html#zcat

TTC#1 since Sept, 2009; in heartbeat.gif w DP, + two young dogs. Started adoption process May 2011. adoptionheart-1.gif  Baby boy born on June 18, 2013 and placed with us.babyboy.gif

#10 of 35 Old 01-31-2010, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

That link goes to the zcat one and I can't really tell from the pic, but I don't think that's the one we use. The one above it (Tomcat? Oh my, that name!) looks more like the one that we use. It did flex/curve a little, and sometimes that was more needed because of the position of my cervix and sometimes not.

We get ours from the midwives' office and they are about $10 each? Or a little more maybe - all the supplies we need to do 2 IUIs run about $40.

#11 of 35 Old 01-31-2010, 09:17 PM

My partner and I did at home IUIs and posted a review of of different catheters on our blog:

http://figboiler.typepad.com/figboil...that-kind.html

After the review, we used a TomCat on our next insemination and it worked! Justine's now 24 weeks pregnant. Good luck with at home IUIs.

-boo

Happy midwife (CNM) married to my lovely wife J, proud mamas to our sweet boy (6/10) and newly pregnant!
#12 of 35 Old 02-01-2010, 02:51 AM

I want to say that we used the Zavos AI kit (the one for $25). We had used Tomcat catheters a couple times, but I think that the Zavos was a little sturdier for IUI use, and longer. Tomcat catheters were easier to come by for us than the Zavos because they are used in the veterinary field on male cats that have urinary blockages. It was great to have the supplies readily available, but they bent a little too easily.

Loving partner to smartycat  ribbonrainbow.gif  . Enjoying life with our DS's- 4/5/09 and 10/29/10 love.gif!  Moms to three dogs and four cats.
#13 of 35 Old 02-05-2010, 08:29 PM

boolery Thanks for your blog. It was very helpful.
I have the Z-cat catheter. We plan to do the IUI next cycle, I will post a follow up at that time to let everyone know how it went.

I am excited to do this ourselves because I believe my ovulation window is short and this allows us the option of doing the IUI exactly when little cervix is ready (soft and mushy) rather than wait for an appropriate appointment time.

TTC#1 since Sept, 2009; in heartbeat.gif w DP, + two young dogs. Started adoption process May 2011. adoptionheart-1.gif  Baby boy born on June 18, 2013 and placed with us.babyboy.gif

#14 of 35 Old 02-15-2010, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boolery View Post
My partner and I did at home IUIs and posted a review of of different catheters on our blog:

http://figboiler.typepad.com/figboil...that-kind.html

After the review, we used a TomCat on our next insemination and it worked! Justine's now 24 weeks pregnant. Good luck with at home IUIs.

-boo
Thanks for the info, I used your reviews to (1) find and (2) choose catheters for our IUI later this cycle.

Shades of Blue, support and resources for postpartum mood disorders. You are not alone.
Mommy to J (5) and S (03/2009) . Hoping for a .... in 2010?
#15 of 35 Old 02-15-2010, 06:54 AM

I have a side question about this?

Are any of you using freash sperm, I was told it needed to be "washed" first because it contained things that while useful in the vaginal environment could be an irrataint to the inner uterus? Have you heard this, did I missunderstand?

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#16 of 35 Old 02-15-2010, 09:41 AM

adorkable, no you did not misunderstand, fresh sperm must be washed!!! not only could it give you cramping/severe cramping but it can cause infection which can lead to other very bad things.

DP and I  rainbow1284.gif together since 2001, brokenheart.gif 4/10,  pos.gif 7/10
DS - planned h20homebirth.gif born via ribboncesarean.gif 4/4/2011
)O( treehugger.gif nocirc.gif winner.jpg cd.gif greenthumb.gif earth.gif whale.gif
#17 of 35 Old 02-15-2010, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by •Adorkable• View Post
I have a side question about this?

Are any of you using freash sperm, I was told it needed to be "washed" first because it contained things that while useful in the vaginal environment could be an irrataint to the inner uterus? Have you heard this, did I missunderstand?
Fresh sperm must be washed for IUI. Some clinics will wash fresh sperm for a fee ($100), although, if DP has motility issues already, the washing will make it worst.

2nd try was a charm! BFP EDD 10/17/10 Beta @ 12 dpo - 92 Beta @ 15 dpo - 902 - It's a GIRL - Olivia Grace 10/18/10 6lb 12 oz
#18 of 35 Old 02-15-2010, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milletpuff View Post
I *know* there's been a post on this recently but I cannot find it.

Is this the one you meant?
http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1178590

placenta.gifeat.gif I'm a queer / trans-activist / poly / pagan / (dis)abled  / crazy / crunchy partner to fsonj; we're mamas to our unschooled/freeskooled 10yo, and co-breastfeed our sprightly toddler love.gif born Nov '10! (Ask me about how to supplement at the breast!)

#19 of 35 Old 03-14-2010, 10:13 AM

For those of you doing at-home insems...Did you get a doctor to sign off for the sperm to be delivered directly to your house?

We have been in contact with a few RE's and none of them agreed to sign off on anything like that. They of course will do it in their office for $1000+

So frustrating!
#20 of 35 Old 03-14-2010, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unoriginal View Post
For those of you doing at-home insems...Did you get a doctor to sign off for the sperm to be delivered directly to your house?

We have been in contact with a few RE's and none of them agreed to sign off on anything like that. They of course will do it in their office for $1000+

So frustrating!
yes, my regular OB/GYN signed off on the paper for me. she wanted to do preconception lab work, like test for disease and such, she also wanted to see DP for an appt and test her for all of those things, just in case. but then she signed the paper and we faxed it to our bank. we use midwest sperm bank, their sperm is fairly cheap and comes prewashed with the syringe and catheter in case you want to do at-home IUI. we just love MWSB! the director is the one that handles most everything, it is a two women show there. and it seems like we get very personalized care there. she ships for overnight delivery and it arrived on our front doorstep.

good luck! and keep trying to find a doc that will sign off... i have read that some ppl have a hard time finding a doc to sign but just keep looking until you find the one that will.

DP and I  rainbow1284.gif together since 2001, brokenheart.gif 4/10,  pos.gif 7/10
DS - planned h20homebirth.gif born via ribboncesarean.gif 4/4/2011
)O( treehugger.gif nocirc.gif winner.jpg cd.gif greenthumb.gif earth.gif whale.gif
#21 of 35 Old 03-14-2010, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

We have ordered from TSBC and PRS and both asked for "dr authorization" so we had our midwife sign. We have been having it shipped directly to our house in batches of 3 months right when it's time to insem, then storing the other 2 months at a local fertility clinic to save on shipping.

#22 of 35 Old 03-26-2010, 02:26 PM

Hi, I have done one at home IUI and had problems with getting all of the sperm out of the catheter. Any advice on how to make sure all comes out? The only way I can get it all out is to push the plunger down quickly which I keep reading is not good.

FYI we use the Z cat catheter from ZDL Inc/Dr Zavos

TIA!!
#23 of 35 Old 03-26-2010, 10:31 PM - Thread Starter

Basically, unless you flush out the catherter with saline, there will always be a tiny bit left, as I understand it. And that's fine.

My partner freaked out when she saw how much one time, so we asked our midwife if there was anything we could do. It's hard to describe, but our midwife showed us to get just a tiny bit of air behind the sperm and use that to get the bulk of it through. Of course, the air never enters the catheter itself, or the uterus (of course), but is just used as a bit of a cushion. Without guidance this just sounds like terrible dangerous random advice on the internet though, so maybe someone else has a better resource!

#24 of 35 Old 03-26-2010, 11:50 PM

Milletpuff--so to get the air behind the sperm should you pull back the plunger on the syringe a bit before attaching the catheter and drawing up the sperm?
#25 of 35 Old 02-17-2011, 01:28 AM

I found another place, which seems very reasonable.  http://shop.inseminationsupplies.com/main.sc  I have heard that on ebay you can find a lot of ovulation & pregnancy tests very inexpensively.  wave.gif  Hope this helps.  We are going to try this in the next few months after we get all the testing and I visit the OB.  Most likely will have to get on Clomid or fertility injections, @ 35 me eggs have left me body, so that lessens the chance of me getting pregnant.

#26 of 35 Old 03-04-2012, 04:50 PM

I realize this is a very old thread but I'm hoping someone will be able to answer me... do you need a slip tip or lock tip syringe to attach to the Tomcat catheter? 

#27 of 35 Old 03-04-2012, 05:11 PM

Slip tip

carrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif 10, 8, 1 & 1
#28 of 35 Old 03-04-2012, 05:15 PM

Thanks! So it doesn't actually attach, it just slides on? Our catheter is in the mail but it didn't come with the syringe so i'm trying to buy one on ebay. 

#29 of 35 Old 03-05-2012, 05:44 AM

I guess it's just friction. I don't think 1 cc syringes come with locks, now that I think of it.

carrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif 10, 8, 1 & 1
#30 of 35 Old 03-05-2012, 07:26 AM

Steele Tig, not sure what bank you're using, but our sperm (from TSBC) came with syringes that slipped right on to the catheters. One piece of advice- put the catheter on the syringe FIRST, then draw up the sperm directly into the catheter. If you draw the sperm into the syringe, then attach the catheter, you'll have trouble getting it all out.

It's been three years since we've done this, but we're actually starting again this week, so feel free to send me a private message if you want to chat.

A, partner to J, mama to O, now with a new username!

Building queer family since 2008!

(and oh, did i mention we're having twins?!?)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page