Queer & Pregnant! Aug., Sept., Oct. 2009 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-19-2009, 10:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hurray! Congrats and welcome, Amelia!!

PROUD mama to Amiya, age 6 , and Asher, born 10/2009 . Loving partner to dp, Amy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2009, 11:53 AM
kjm

::::ban anaYahhhooo!!!! Welcome Amelia!! My co-worker just welcomed his third daughter Amelia into the world 2 weeks ago!! Its a beautiful name!!!

11/24/08 SMBC with a loving LTR DP in a Queer & Poly relationshiploving my new baby Kale Cqolbi Justice!!!!!
Old 08-19-2009, 01:29 PM

Welcome Amelia!!
:Congrats!!!:
Old 08-19-2009, 03:18 PM

Great name, congratulations!!!! Happy Babymoon!!! :::

Partnered mama with DD (01/04) and DD (08/09) and 8 critters, including a !
Old 08-19-2009, 03:20 PM

Wazzmum, looks like you and I are the next ones! Feeling anything?

Everything's slowed down for me and now I'm guessing it will be a while. The midwife will give me until forever, but I don't want to go longer than 10 days over. We'll see, I guess.

Old 08-19-2009, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

: Welcome, Amelia!!! :

Congratulations!!

Me joy.gif, DP treehugger.gif, S bikenew.gif and L babyboy.gif
Old 08-19-2009, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimlyn32 View Post
Hello everyone!!! I'm glad I just caught up with how everyone's doing. We did see the heartbeat last week but did not hear it. We were told that will have to wait until aroun 12wks. We got sooo excited that we started to tell more people about the baby and we are totally okay with that.

Saturday I started to get some light brown discharge which reminds me of the discharge I get when my period is over. It went away Sunday but came back yesterday. It also looked like brown cm but no clots. Dr said not to worry and we go back for another appt Friday.

Progesterone has increased some and I'm still taking prometrium. RE also put me on Folic Acid.

I've decided to cut out chicken, I already don't eat beef or pork. I would go completely vegan but I like fish and don't like soy or tofu.

Everyone enjoy the rest of your week and stay cool! Raene, good luck with the contractions!
I hope the spotting is nothing! Drink lots of water!!

I did the opposite during my first trimester...I have been veg for years but started eating fish. However, that only lasted about 2 weeks and it started to gross me out. Now I'm eating some chicken pretty regularly.

Old 08-19-2009, 04:34 PM

welcome amelia!! :

congrats to your family dm!

g

my family - dp d heartbeat.gif, ds b biggrinbounce.gif (4), ds f thumbsuck.gif (2), dd a baby.gif (jan '12), ddog m dog2.gif
Old 08-19-2009, 04:45 PM

Congrats DM!!!! Welcome Amelia!!!:

Madly in love w/DW by the same name, mourning the baby girl we lost and expecting another baby in December 2010!
Old 08-19-2009, 11:42 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DM630 View Post
Amelia is here:
born 8/14 at 8:16 am
will give birth story later, she is waking up now and needs to be fed
Congratulations to you and your partner, DM630! : and Welcome baby Amelia!! : Wishing you all lots of happiness always!

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

Old 08-20-2009, 04:34 PM

Raene,

It sure is the home stretch for both of us! I think you'll have your baby next week - I'll guess the 27th.

My partner is 38 weeks today!! She's been getting lots of Braxton Hicks for a few weeks and baby has been engaged for at least 10 days. She feels sluggish and heavy and isn't sleeping well but manages to nap during the day (she's already on maternity leave). I keep waiting for her mucus plug to make an appearance - I'm strangely curious about this plug! Our midwives don't do any internal exams so we aren't sure about dilation/effacement. I figure there must be some action there! I also hope her water breaks but I'm not waiting for it since it doesn't necessarily happen to everyone before labor. We are all set to labor at home for the majority of the birth. Our plan is to go to a natural birthing center in the hospital but if my partner feels more comfortable at home, we are allowed to stay put. I am really so excited!! Next week my partner is having a reflexology massage which is said to help speed things along.

I'll keep everyone posted about the birth of our daughter or son!
Old 08-20-2009, 08:08 PM

Ooh, Wazzmum! I feel like I'll walk to the hospital and ask to be induced if I make it til next weekend, ugh. I'm so miserable My midwife doesn't do internals either, which is fine since with DD#1 the midwife said I was so dilated/effaced that it would be "any day" and that turned into 2 weeks. Not helpful! lol. But she also sadly doesn't do anything to speed things along...no membrane sweeps, no anything. Arg. I'm usually a natural gal but I was done with this pregnancy months ago. It's just been too long and awful. I can't wait to just be holding my little one.

BTW, I never lost the plug with my last...wonder if I will with this one. I've googled them though and they surely aren't very pretty!

Old 08-21-2009, 01:53 AM

It is going to take me a while to catch up on the thread. But here is our Birth story.

We arrived at the birth center at 2pm on Aug 12. I was told that a water birth was not an option for me since the baby was large, however I could labor in the tub. By 3pm I was given my first miso treatment. At that point I was 1 cm dilated. We then had a second treatment at 7 and by 11 I was having contractions however, I did not feel them. We decided to hold off on a third treatment due to the contractions and see what my body would do.

We had a good nights sleep, as good as you can get in the hospital and in the morning had another miso treatment. After the completion of the third treatment the midwife came and talked to us about doing one more miso or changing to pitosin. I knew that if I went with pitosin then laboring in the tub was out of the question since you cant be in the tub with an IV. Since I was responding to the miso we decited to go with one more treatment. At the completion of the last treatment I was able to feel some contractions and they were really not that bad at all. At this point I was 4 cm. We went outside to get fresh air and to walk around, it was 2:30 pm Aug 13.

There is a cafe area by the front doors that we sat at. I started to feel contractions that were a little different, then all of a sudden my water broke. I had an excess of amniotic fluid due to the gd, and the flood gates were open. kate went into the hospital to get me a wheel chair and towel to cover. As I waited by the front doors puddle under me, people were coming and going into the hospital. All I could do was sit there as fluid continued to flow. It would stop then start again. It seemed like forever before Kate returned. I was brought back to the birth center. Everytime I moved more water poured out. The nurse was amazed with how much was coming out. And Iwas so surprised as to how much my belly shrank.

Labor started right away. I used what I learned in hypnobirthing and there were times that Kate had no idea that I was having contractions. I took showers and was very relaxed even joking and laughing at times. We had created a great play list and were told that we had the most relaxing room on the floor. I was having my blood sugar checked every hour and it looked good. I was encouraged to eat something so Ihad some ceral. I asked the nurse to fill the jacuzzi tub which she started and I was really at peace. Then they took my blood sugar and it was elevated and I had to be put on an insulin drip. No tub and no showers. I had to have iv’s in both hands one for insulin and one for pitosin if my labor did not progress. Walking with one iv pole is hard enough, two is a challenge.

The best ways for me to relax (being in water) were now taken from me. By 11pm the exhustion of being at the hospital for 33 hours was hitting and the feeling of being restrained by the ivs did not help. I asked for pain meds. They helped and at 3 am I asked for more. They did not seem to help any more. I had hit the wall. I was 7 cm. I had been given more pitosin because my contractions were still 10 minutes apart. At 3:30 am I asked for an epidural. Something that I vowed that I would never do. I just could not do it anymore. After the Doctor struggled to put the epidural in I was given some relief.

By 7 am Amelia was not engaged and had actually moved away from my pevlis. Through out the whole process Amelia’s heart rate was great and everyone commented what a happy baby we had. A little before 8 am the doctor came in and said that Amelia was no longer responding well to my contractions. She was tired and her heart rate was not returning quick enough after the contractions so we had to do an emergency c-section. It is amazing how quick things happened. I was preped and Amelia was born at 8:16. Kate told me that the cord was wrapped around Amelia’s neck, so who knows what whould have happened if she had engaged.
Amelia weighed only 8 pounds, not the 10 plus they were expecting.

Although this was not at all the birth plan I wanted I am very much at peace with it all. I believe that it all happened for a reason. I am glad I had the epi when I did so that I was ready when the c-section was necessary. Amelia did what she needed to do to let everyone know that she could not come out the way I was wanting. My acupuncturist had said to me that babies know more then we know. This was helpful for me to keep in mind so that I could listen to what she and my body was saying and not to push my birth plan.

Loving wife to Kate. So in love with Amelia. Born August 14, 2009
Old 08-21-2009, 05:03 AM

DM360 - Thank you for sharing your birth story. You sound so happy!!

Raene - I hope you do go into labor soon! I'm sorry you are feeling so yucky. Are you doing anything to try to naturally induce? I'll be sending you vibes to go into labor this weekend!!! And I want to know if you lose your plug:-)
Old 08-21-2009, 04:19 PM

DM, thanks for sharing your birth story! So important to remember that part of HypnoBirthing..."I will embrace whatever turn my birthing takes." Yup. You did what needed to be done, and you have a healthy little one! Congrats.

Wazzmum, thanks for the labor vibes. Lets wait til Sunday and then really send em. It's true I've been hoping for a Virgo, but...it just seems like such a long wait! I've tried everything aside from castor oil to naturally induce...walks, nipple stim, sex, red raspberry leaf, talking to the baby, acupressure, etc. Even tried some Mother's Cordial which has blue cohosh but the alcohol in that stuff went straight to my head and scared the hell out of me. I never drink so it was a frightening experience...the being out of control part. And it's just a tincture! Man, alcohol really affects me! I'm terrified of castor oil and going into labor "that way" but it comes down to it I guess it's better than losing my homebirth.

Good luck to you and your partner, too! I bet you will be holding your little one before I am...wanna race? Hehe. :

Old 08-22-2009, 06:17 PM

Congrats DM...and welcome little Amelia!!!!! ::::

DS Alexander Joseph born 6/29/09
Old 08-23-2009, 07:04 AM

Ok Raene! I am officially sending you labor vibes now!!!
Old 08-23-2009, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazzmum View Post
Ok Raene! I am officially sending you labor vibes now!!!
Yay, THANKS!!! We're so ready! I'm so excited about having a Virgo. We just went for a long walk around the lake and now a storm's coming in...they say storms bring babies...we'll see! I'm feeling lots of cervical pressure but no contractions.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:13 PM

Raene How are you doing? Are you holding your baby yet?

Loving wife to Kate. So in love with Amelia. Born August 14, 2009
Old 08-26-2009, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DM630 View Post
Raene How are you doing? Are you holding your baby yet?
Nope, looks like Wazzmum is right and it might be this weekend instead. I had a 40 week appt with the midwife yesterday and was unusually firm with her (usually I am not good at asking for what I need b/c I'm a shy and quiet person). I told her I'm miserable emotionally, I'm not sleeping well, I want to be done, I'm dreaming of hospital induction, etc...very unlike me. She doesn't believe in membrane sweeps but I told her I wanted one. She said she hasn't done them in years b/c she noticed they often lead to prolonged labor. But she is an acupuncturist and is going to set me up tomorrow with an appt if there's still no baby. Her take on it of course is to be patient, and she and my partner talked about how that's my lesson in this pregnancy and it hasn't happened yet. Hmmf. The appointment was greatly reassuring though. She's guessing the baby is about 7 lbs 4 oz and I have plenty of fluid, so I should be fine with waiting for a while. She also gave me some cohosh to try if I want to. And she told us she had a birth dream that we had an amazing waterbirth, and she said she doesn't usually dream about client's births, but it sounded really great

Anyway, after the appointment I felt SO much better emotionally. I've had such a fear of a tiny baby since that's what she said to me in the past, and a fear of not enough fluid levels b/c I was previously measuring small. Last night I had a great night's sleep for the first time in a long time.

After sleeping well I feel better about waiting. I do believe in babies choosing their arrival dates when possible and this is completely my problem (the impatience). I need to get better at relaxing and surrendering. I think it's been especially hard because a) I had complications that were supposed to cause preterm labor, so I never thought I'd still be pregnant now, and b) I was pregnant with my first for shorter than this...and most people are pregnant longer the first time, so it's been a little hard for me.

I hope to have a birth story on the sooner side! We shall see.

Old 08-26-2009, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Raene. I'm glad you're feeling better emotionally. I know it's so much more than being tired but sometimes a good sleep really does give you a new perspective on things. Sending good birth vibes your way!!

Old 08-27-2009, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

I'm just about at 22 weeks and I can't believe how fast time is flying by now!! Eeeeeek! We have our next m/w appointment next week and will be attending their home birth info night in early September. Can't believe we're planning that part already. I didn't hear back from the m/w about my u/s so I'm assuming everything is fine and that we'll hear some more details next week. She said she would call only if there were any concerns.

The little one is kicking up a storm on a regular basis and I'm really enjoying it DP can feel it sometimes when she puts her ear/cheek against me. There have been a few hard kicks that I thought I could feel on the outside but since there were no other witnesses I'm not sure...

I hope everyone is doing well and enjoying the last days of summer!!

Eagerly awaiting a birth announcement, Raene!

Old 08-27-2009, 02:11 PM

That's exciting, Carmen! All the kicks and stuff...it's so reassuring.

Still no birth announcement here. Last night I was playing cards in bed with DP and the contractions were so strong I had to stop and walk around. At one point I thought...omg, can I really do this again? My contractions go from not happening to HUGELY intense...there's no in-between...and I'm such a wimp.

But then when I questioned myself, they went away. Boy was that disappointing! Shouldn't question myself I suppose.

Took a long walk this morning with DD and the contractions started up again but they fizzle out when I stop walking, so I guess they're nothing really. Ahh well...soon I hope.

Old 08-29-2009, 11:08 PM

wazzmum and raene any news!!!?! i'm hoping your lack of posting means you're either having or have had your babes.

from the july ddc:

QTRANDI
Baby Boy: Rudy
Born: Tuesday, July 7, 7:20-ish am
Birth Stats: 7 lb 4 oz
21 inches long

afu, we are 20 weeks tomorrow! dp is still throwing up occasionally but for the most part her m/s is gone. she's been eating a lot of protein too, yay!

g

my family - dp d heartbeat.gif, ds b biggrinbounce.gif (4), ds f thumbsuck.gif (2), dd a baby.gif (jan '12), ddog m dog2.gif
Old 08-30-2009, 11:48 AM

Happy 20 Weeks, Indigo!!

No, no baby here. I've basically given up. Tried every natural thing, acupuncture Friday, Reiki yesterday...and just...nothing. I'm 41 weeks today and feeling really upset about this. I wish I was patient and calm, but I'm not. I'm freaking out, actually. Castor oil is the one thing I haven't resorted to and it sounds terrible...but I think come tomorrow morning I will go that route.

We're off to the mall for lots of walking.

Wazzmum, any news? You guys will probably have yours before I do.

Old 08-30-2009, 05:54 PM

happy 20 weeks indigo! that's super exciting to be half way there!

we're with raene in the no baby yet boat. dp is due thursday so really any day! i feel like it could be soon but it could be wishful thinking. tomorrow morning dp goes back to have another foot reflexology massage, she said it was very relaxing and her reflexologist has good intuition about going into labor. i'm looking forward to hearing what she says tomorrow!

we just finished making scalini's eggplant parm!! it's extra spicy tonight.

thanks for thinking of us - we are hanging in there. this waiting is so hard! we really want to meet our baby before dp's parents visit for 2 weeks. then we have a 4 day break before mine come for 2 weeks! we're enjoying the calm before the parents!

raene, i really hope you are holding your baby soon! your midwife doesn't work with anyone else who would sweep your membranes? would dp try? how will you take the castor oil? good luck with that if you decide to try it.

soon soon soon! i'll be sure to keep everyone updated.
Old 08-30-2009, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raene View Post
Happy 20 Weeks, Indigo!!

No, no baby here. I've basically given up. Tried every natural thing, acupuncture Friday, Reiki yesterday...and just...nothing. I'm 41 weeks today and feeling really upset about this. I wish I was patient and calm, but I'm not. I'm freaking out, actually. Castor oil is the one thing I haven't resorted to and it sounds terrible...but I think come tomorrow morning I will go that route.

I know you've probably heard this already and it means nothing but a friend of mine had her son 3 weeks late in January and just had to wait. I hope you don't have to wait that long and I'm sure he/she will come when they're ready Hang in there! (easy for me to say, isn't it!? )

Happy 20 weeks, indigo

wazzmum, wow, you are there too! Good birth vibes your way too!

Old 08-30-2009, 06:57 PM
kjm

indigo--welcome to the 1/2 way point!! Its feels so good!!

raene & wazz--those babies are hanging in there, but soon, so very soon, they will be in your arms

carmen-- I'm right there with you, sooo much movement its crazy!! finally yesterday kiddo moved up a bit--phhheww I've felt like the Liberty Bell for the last few weeks, either a foot or hand had been ringing my pubic bones for a while, but alas--finally some relief as my uterus expanded.

are we the only 5 left?? where is everybody??

Jodybird?? Travelgirlz? baby.fatty? Scalpel? basje? and others????

and what about you newbies?? Kimlyn??? hbog?

11/24/08 SMBC with a loving LTR DP in a Queer & Poly relationshiploving my new baby Kale Cqolbi Justice!!!!!
Old 08-30-2009, 08:54 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raene View Post
Happy 20 Weeks, Indigo!!

Hi everyone! I've been dropping in to check in on you all ... great to see such good news all around.

Raene ...
Have you tried verbena oil? That's what our MW gave us to induce and it worked like a hot dam! (What is a hot dam anyway ...). I took 5 drops in juice every few hours if I remember correctly. It was meant to be a cocktail of apricot juice, verbena oil and castor oil, but I didn't need the castor oil as my bowels were already ahead of the game, so to speak.
Good luck, mama! You'll be holding that wee'un soon!

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
Old 08-30-2009, 08:57 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Raene ... I found a post where I shared this before. Here are the details on the cocktail. I was 38 weeks and had to be induced due to pre-e ... this worked overnight and I had my natural labour and delivery the next day!

LABOUR TEA
2 cups water
1 part cinnamon
5 parts clove
tonnes of chopped ginger

Boil for 30 minutes, remove from heat and add 3 drops of VERBENA essential oil.
Makes two cups

LABOUR COCKTAIL
2 tbs almond butter
2 tbs castor oil
blend with 300ml water
5 drops verbena (0.1ml)
200 ml apricot juice
drink quickly (within half an hour)

Leave out the castor oil if you want. I did, and it still worked!

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!

User Tag List