Queer & Pregnant! Aug., Sept., Oct. 2009 - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 250 Old 09-09-2009, 01:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sending watery vibes your way!!!

PROUD mama to Amiya, age 6 , and Asher, born 10/2009 . Loving partner to dp, Amy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 250 Old 09-09-2009, 11:46 PM

wazzum - also sending you vibes!

AFM - I got my BFP last week and we are hoping to stay pregnant all the way until my may due date.

A question for everyone - ok, so I had my first midwife appointment today - it was just a get to know you sort of meeting and she ordered some hcg and progesterone bloodwork. Overall, it was nice and I liked her - but there were a couple moments where I had a moment of hesitation. Ok, ok, ok, so I know that I know more than I'd ever hoped to know about TTC and pregnancy - I've been actively TTC for two years and done a lot of research during that time; I'm also a trained doula and regularly attend prenatal and breastfeeding classes etc. Still, I try not to be the over-achiever know-it-all patient that is constantly interjecting with "well, actually..."

So anyway - at today's appointment I mentioned that I had a late ovulation and she asked how I knew and I mentioned temperatures, cm, and OPKs. She had never heard of opks, and not just the term "opk" - like once I explained that you pee on it to measure your LH she was still like, "wow!".

That didn't bother me too much since midwives aren't usually part of the TTC process - they come along after we're knocked up. But then we were talking due date and she referenced her little ob wheel and gave me a date - and I said, well, since I ovulated late it would be a couple days later. She kind of looked at me blankly and I tried to explain that usually they base it on LMP since most women don't know when they ovulate and that is under the assumption that she ovulated on cd14. She was like, "ok, ok, then let's go with your date." It wasn't the hugest deal, and I'm really glad that she was so open to my knowledge - but it gave me a moment's pause. Would this be a red flag for you? A deal breaker? Like I said, overall, I liked her and the facility - and she's only one of 5 midwives working there.

Still madly in stillheart.gif with jb after 10 years and chasing after my precocious toddler jog.gif    

***joy.gif***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***40    computergeek2.gif westphillymama.com

#123 of 250 Old 09-10-2009, 01:32 AM

Welcome, pleasantlyfurious! :

Okay all, maybe you can help me out here.
This thing happened to me yesterday and I've been really : about it ever since. I really wanted to know what you all would have to say about it. I'm a high school teacher in a small k-12 school in a small town in a small province. Yesterday in the staff room, some of the teachers were talking - one of them just got engaged. Another one started talking about how her daughter has been dating the same guy for 5 years and although she would like to be a grandmother, it wouldn't really be appropriate since they're not married, her daughter wouldn't be a very good role model for the students, blah blah blah. I think I'm a great role model for the students! Unfortunately, I do not share a lot of the values these people seem to have. Anybody else in a not very lesbian family friendly situation? How is that going for you?

Me, 36, DP, 39, stepDDs 14, and 15, and little DS born on his due date April 5, 2010.
#124 of 250 Old 09-10-2009, 09:58 AM

PF--welcome back! Been hoping to see you for some time! :

Hbog--although I'm not in a particularly lesbian-family-unfriendly environment (I'm a private practice psychologist), my partner teaches high school. She's been lucky in having the great support of other teachers and her principal (they threw us a shower this summer and are giving her 6 weeks paid leave once the babe arrives); however, with parents/students, it's a different story--she feels the need to be very closeted. So...as we're due in just a short time, she's started preparing her students for her absence. She's chosen to tell them that she's adopting again (our dd was adopted)...as a smbc. It's unfortunate, but in education, you have to be careful.

PROUD mama to Amiya, age 6 , and Asher, born 10/2009 . Loving partner to dp, Amy.
#125 of 250 Old 09-10-2009, 10:15 AM

welcome back over here pf!!! if you like the midwife, her lack of ttc knowledge wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. seriously, i've read some horror stories in our ddc about ob's and midwives so if you have a good one, hang on to her!

hbog, i have to agree with jody on this. friends of ours had to be ultra careful when they were pregnant as the pregnant one was an elementary school teacher in a very conservative area. the story was that her wife was a "room mate" and didn't share the details of how she got pregnant with her students parents. i've heard of teachers being dismissed due to morality clauses, hopefully you don't have one of those! thankfully dp and i are able to be out at work and while i'm sure there are people here who don't agree with our lifestyle, the vast majority are very supportive.

wazzmum, any more news??? fx that babe arrives soon.

g

my family - dp d heartbeat.gif, ds b biggrinbounce.gif (4), ds f thumbsuck.gif (2), dd a baby.gif (jan '12), ddog m dog2.gif
#126 of 250 Old 09-10-2009, 06:51 PM

thanks for all the vibes everyone, keep them coming!
41 weeks today. no sign of baby.
DP has accupuncture tomorrow. the practice specializes in pregnancy/induction treatments so i hope it helps!
come on baby!!
#127 of 250 Old 09-11-2009, 07:41 PM

Cedar is home after 12 days in the NICU. Thanks for all of the kind thoughts and prayers.

Partnered mama with DD (01/04) and DD (08/09) and 8 critters, including a !
#128 of 250 Old 09-11-2009, 10:50 PM

That is GREAT news, Raene. : I've been following your blog everyday and hoping that she'd be home soon! Hope you're able to be peaceful with her at home and not too anxious--I'm sure I'd be a total wreck.

#129 of 250 Old 09-12-2009, 12:17 AM

Raene - I'm SO happy to hear that. I hope you are all able to enjoy some calm family time at home.

Still madly in stillheart.gif with jb after 10 years and chasing after my precocious toddler jog.gif    

***joy.gif***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***40    computergeek2.gif westphillymama.com

#130 of 250 Old 09-12-2009, 02:45 AM

Yea cedars home (((river, raene, DD, cedar))) our thoughts and prayers are with you. My cedar grow strong and mighty. May she surpass even the doctors greatest expectations. How approprate a name.

smile.gif Me - 34 TTC#1 as a SMBC...after a 2 year break. treehugger.gif Embracing all things "crunchy" treehugger.gif
#131 of 250 Old 09-12-2009, 06:15 AM
kjm

Raene- I'm glad to hear that Cedar is home, where she belongs!!

11/24/08 SMBC with a loving LTR DP in a Queer & Poly relationshiploving my new baby Kale Cqolbi Justice!!!!!
#132 of 250 Old 09-12-2009, 07:02 AM
kjm

One cool update and a question:

I had the opportunity to see a shaman this week. It was very very cool! In the beginning she started by placing her hands above my chakras while chanting. Every time her hands would pass over my belly she would burst into a fit of giggles. She kept apologizing. Finally the 3rd time it happened she said "This is so crazy! I've worked with soo many pregnant people and this has never happened. I can't help giggling because this kid's energy is AMAZING!! This kid is so full of joy and so ready to be in this world. I've never felt anything like this" :

and now for my question:
what can I do to try to sleep through the night without waking up sooo ravishingly hungry in the middle of it?? I've started eating dinner later and later. I always make sure I have a good source of protein and fat in my dinner. But more nights than not now I wake up around 4am starving!! I was keeping crackers next to my bed and occasionally would eat one or two during my multiple bathroom trips a night. But this past week I've been unable to fall back asleep I'm so hungry. And then once I get up and actually make and eat toast I'm too wired to go back to sleep for an hour or two??? help!!

11/24/08 SMBC with a loving LTR DP in a Queer & Poly relationshiploving my new baby Kale Cqolbi Justice!!!!!
#133 of 250 Old 09-13-2009, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter

Good to see you here, pf I've added you to the due date list - I hope you have an uneventful and happy 9 months!!

kjm, I'm not sure if this will help you but I actually find if I don't eat late I don't wake up as hungry. If I'm hungry before I go to bed I just have a piece of cheese or something. This doesn't always work, sometimes I wake up hungry but not often.

Me joy.gif, DP treehugger.gif, S bikenew.gif and L babyboy.gif
#134 of 250 Old 09-13-2009, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raene View Post
Cedar is home after 12 days in the NICU. Thanks for all of the kind thoughts and prayers.
Great news, Raene. I've been reading along on your blog - I hope things continue to improve!!

#135 of 250 Old 09-13-2009, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raene View Post
Welcome home, Cedar!!!::::::::::
I've been anxiously following along with your blog. What wonderful news! Blessings on you all ...

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#136 of 250 Old 09-14-2009, 10:47 AM

elcome home cedar:
i am following your blog too, raene. i hope you are getting more rest.

11 days past EDD over here...just waiting and waiting. yesterday the midwife came over and DP had a membrane sweep, she was fine all day and only now has very slight period type cramps.

our midwife said she would sweep again tomorrow and if we want she would break the waters before we have to transfer care to the hospital on thursday. any thoughts on breaking waters to get things started?
#137 of 250 Old 09-15-2009, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazzmum View Post
11 days past EDD over here...just waiting and waiting. yesterday the midwife came over and DP had a membrane sweep, she was fine all day and only now has very slight period type cramps.

our midwife said she would sweep again tomorrow and if we want she would break the waters before we have to transfer care to the hospital on thursday. any thoughts on breaking waters to get things started?
Wow, your little one is sure hanging on! I have no experience with breaking water so unfortunately have no advice. But I wish you well!!

#138 of 250 Old 09-16-2009, 09:10 PM

Finally, 12 days late, our baby BOY is here!!!

Tate was born September 15th at 5:27pm weighing 9lbs 2oz (4184 grams) after a very long complicated delivery. Both Tate and DP are staying in the hospital until at least Saturday because Tate is on antibiotics to prevent a possible infection from when DP got a fever during labor. That was only the start of the complications after we were sent to the hospital by our midwife because there was meconium in the water. 17 hrs later Tate was vacummed out and seriously tore DP who had surgery to stitch internal and external wounds. I will try to write more details about the birth this week while it's fresh in my mind. I really didn't expect anything to go wrong, let alone multiple things. DP was so strong throughout the whole experience and had a natural childbirth. I am so proud of her and happy Tate is doing well. Will try to get a photo up soon too! Thanks for all the vibes and for thinking of us. I've been waiting so long to update everyone!
#139 of 250 Old 09-16-2009, 10:54 PM

congrats wazzmum!! and welcome to the world tate!!! ::::

sending many healing vibes to tate and your dp and i hope they are home soon.

enjoy your babymoon, can't wait to see pictures.

also, he shares my mum's birthday!!!

g

my family - dp d heartbeat.gif, ds b biggrinbounce.gif (4), ds f thumbsuck.gif (2), dd a baby.gif (jan '12), ddog m dog2.gif
#140 of 250 Old 09-16-2009, 10:58 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hello mamas!
I got my almost two weeks ago on our third attempt TTC. DW and I are super excited! We've just moved into a new house and we've been without internet access so I haven't officially joined the thread until now. I believe I'm due around May 15 according to when I ovulated.

Wazzmum- Congratulations that your babe is here. I will have you all in my thoughts and with hopes for an easy recovery.

Mama to two, and second-time surrogate. Expecting May 2015.
#141 of 250 Old 09-16-2009, 11:48 PM

wazzum - ::: Congratulations!!! And welcome Tate! I hope everyone is home soon!!

KSDoulamama - Welcome! We have the same due date, too! I'll be happy to have another queer mama in the DDC!

#142 of 250 Old 09-17-2009, 12:02 AM - Thread Starter

Congratulations, wazzmum!! :: And Welcome Tate!!

Congrats to you too, KSDoulaMama I will add you to the list!

#143 of 250 Old 09-17-2009, 11:14 AM

Welcome to the world, Tate! What took you so long?

Welcome, KSDoulaMama!

#144 of 250 Old 09-17-2009, 12:26 PM

Welcome Baby Tate!

And congrats, KSDoula!

A, partner to J, mama to O, now with a new username!

Building queer family since 2008!

(and oh, did i mention we're having twins?!?)

#145 of 250 Old 09-18-2009, 12:36 AM
kjm

Welcome Tate!! We are so glad you decided to join us!

congrats KSdoula

#146 of 250 Old 09-18-2009, 02:24 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Welcome Tate!!!
Glad to have you earthside!

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#147 of 250 Old 09-18-2009, 02:15 PM

Welcome Tate and congrats to KSDoulaMama!!!!

: DD 8/29/08 and twin boys 11/3/09
#148 of 250 Old 09-21-2009, 03:44 PM

Congrats and Welcome, Tate!!!

Partnered mama with DD (01/04) and DD (08/09) and 8 critters, including a !
#149 of 250 Old 09-21-2009, 04:12 PM

Hey everyone! Welcome to Tate and Ocean and congrats to both families!

I've been away from the boards for a while, just trying to coast through the first trimester. I found the more I was on the web, the more negative stuff I was reading so I decided to turn it off for a minute.

So, I'm 12 weeks, 1 day and feeling pretty good. I haven't had much nausea and the constipation is going away (thank goodness!) I thought the fatigue was over but I'm quite tired today and ready for a nap.

Through a bit of trial and error I found a Dr that I really like who supports natural childbirth and even encourages it. His c section rate is low, he doesn't do episiotimies and he supports alternative birthing positions.

Last week we heard the baby's heartbeat for the first time and saw a very active baby moving around. We are still so excited and now starting to plan for the nursery, changes to the house we'll make and working hard to get to a comfortable point with work that my absence won't affect our business too much.

I've also started a blog: http://realestateandcheesecake.com if you'd like to check it out. I look forward to catching up with you all!

Madly in love w/DW by the same name, mourning the baby girl we lost and expecting another baby in December 2010!
#150 of 250 Old 09-21-2009, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Things sound they are going well, kimlyn

Afm: DP and I attended the home birth info night at our midwife clinic last night. It has us both even more excited about the birth! Most of the info was fairly introductory and since I've done some research already, we did know a lot of the content before we got there. However, we learned a few new things and it was just really cool to be in a room with a ton of people who are excited about or want to learn about home birthing!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page