Queer & Pregnant! Aug., Sept., Oct. 2009 - Page 9 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#241 of 250 Old 10-28-2009, 11:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
jjnoho, I'll do this one if you'll do the next one!

Joyful, busy, often overwhelmed queer academic mama to an awesome toddler and:

****5****10****15****20****25**heartbeat.gif*30****35****40

#242 of 250 Old 10-28-2009, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastie View Post
that's a deal! thanks.

Me, DW , and DS born 7/6/10
#243 of 250 Old 10-28-2009, 01:23 PM

I just had to share my good fortune!

So - I was laid off in June, so we've been without income for some time and are not expecting in May. Ah, timing. So, we've had to be on a very tight budget. But recently it seems like the universe has been taking care of us and I'm just so grateful. Here is some of the good luck/generosity that has come our way:

- Accupuncturist - a neighbor of ours has been trading food from our cafe (like $25 worth/week) for my weekly acupuncture appointment.

- A local woman on craigslist just sold me 20 sposoeasy cloth diapers (gently used) for $100 - that's just $5 a diaper!

- One of the women in my doula group handed-me-down a great ring sling

- Another woman from my doula group just offered me her (front loading, energystar) washing machine in exchange for a few nights of babysitting.

- A friend gave me a couple old pairs of maternity pants just as my clothes stopped fitting.

- A local artist is doing a photography show titles "Women and Intimacy" about lesbians and asked us to be part of the show. When I told her that I was pregnant she said she'd love to document the pregnancy with a few photo shoots over the months and if we agree to be part of the show she won't charge us for anything except any prints we request. This is something that even if I was employed, I don't know if I'd feel comfortable spending money on, but am so excited about!

It feels like a windfall! Now if we could just figure out how to pay the mortgage and bills, we'll be set!

Still madly in stillheart.gif with jb after 10 years and chasing after my precocious toddler jog.gif    

***joy.gif***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***40    computergeek2.gif westphillymama.com

#244 of 250 Old 10-28-2009, 02:40 PM

pf, that's great! we just bought some sposoeasys for our son and we love them!

afu, we had an ob visit today that was quite the whirlwind of happenings! first we had a follow-up u/s to check on dp's placenta and it has moved up and away from her cervix, so yay for that! he's still a boy - measuring 2 weeks ahead now and approx. weight is 3lbs 2oz. then dp had to chug the orange stuff for her gtt. then our ob announced that the flu shots had arrived, so dp got her seasonal and h1n1 shots and i got the h1n1. phew! we are on 2 week visits now.

g

my family - dp d heartbeat.gif, ds b biggrinbounce.gif (4), ds f thumbsuck.gif (2), dd a baby.gif (jan '12), ddog m dog2.gif
#245 of 250 Old 10-28-2009, 10:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastie View Post
Thanks! Will send you the thread content via message on here.

Me joy.gif, DP treehugger.gif, S bikenew.gif and L babyboy.gif
#246 of 250 Old 10-28-2009, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter

pf, wow, that is very fortunate. You must have some good karma

I had never heard of sposoeasys - very cute! We are planning on mostly prefolds with covers but I wouldn't mind trying some AIOs too.

Me joy.gif, DP treehugger.gif, S bikenew.gif and L babyboy.gif
#247 of 250 Old 10-30-2009, 11:45 PM
kjm

Just got home from my first Childbirth Ed Class and it was amazing!!! This teacher really really tries to be as inclusive as possible. Of course after teaching childbirth ed for over 25 years she defaulted to normative language a few times, but she actually used the term "pregnant people" most of the time--I was impressed. She is pretty amazing and was very welcoming of my big queer/trans birthing team. I had 3 birth partners with me tonight which totally paid off at the "ok partners massage the pregnant people" part as I got a 6 handed massage!! Oh I can't wait for my birth--what a wonderful team I have!!!

11/24/08 SMBC with a loving LTR DP in a Queer & Poly relationshiploving my new baby Kale Cqolbi Justice!!!!!
#248 of 250 Old 10-31-2009, 01:24 AM

Thursday I purchased the Hypnobabies Home Study Course for a GREAT price from someone off of Craigslist. I'm so excited to get started so that I can be in control during labor and birth. I know I can't control everything, but it will be nice to go in with a plan. I'll keep you all posted on how it works out. Any one else on here do some type of hypnosis for birth?

Madly in love w/DW by the same name, mourning the baby girl we lost and expecting another baby in December 2010!
#249 of 250 Old 10-31-2009, 08:41 AM
kjm

I have a hypno birthing CD. I found it infinitely helpful that there is an exercise on the CD that helps you understand how long 60 secs can be (the time to rest between your contractions). I have found that I can in fact get to a relatively relaxed, even meditative state in less than 60 secs, although that of course is NOW when I'm laying in bed or sitting quietly NOT as my baby is pushing against my cervix I'm sure that will be more difficult!! But I enjoy the practice and I'm sure it will help.

The main thing that has helped me to feel more prepared to birth came from reading Ina Mae's "Guide to Childbirth" and really getting a strong sense that my body knows exactly how to get this baby out w/o much help from me. I am humbled by the fact that my body, w/o any support, very little understanding, and NO help from my frontal lobe has created, nurtured, and grown this baby. If my body can make this whole thing happen w/o my doing much but eating, sleeping, and exercising---I bet it can get this baby out.

Of course this is my positive minded mantra---Not an ignorant statement, I know that sometimes medical intervention is necessary and I am open to that, because in birth (as in life) things happen. But it has helped reduced my fears around thinking "How will I do this?" or "I can't do this" to just know that my body is very very wise.

11/24/08 SMBC with a loving LTR DP in a Queer & Poly relationshiploving my new baby Kale Cqolbi Justice!!!!!
#250 of 250 Old 10-31-2009, 10:58 AM

Hi all,

Carmen has passed on the thread-keeping duties to me, and the new list is now open. Let me know if you need any corrections or changes to the list, and I'll do my best to keep up with all of the exciting news in the next three months!

See you there,
Beastie

Joyful, busy, often overwhelmed queer academic mama to an awesome toddler and:

****5****10****15****20****25**heartbeat.gif*30****35****40

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page