October Queer Conceptions - Ready to *FALL* in love w/ our future babes! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-11-2009, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Shadow - bummer. I agree, brined turkey is the best. Why am I not having Turkey this weekend? I may stoop to buying one of those roast things you can stick in the nuker and a can of cranberry jelly. Love that stuff.

Ok, now the progesterone - yeah, what Cejae said. And this to add - if your LP is shortish and you want to lengthen it, try B vitamins, specifically B6. I'm taking a B complex that includes 50 mg of B6 and a bunch of other Bs and it seems to be helping, though something in the 100 mg and up range is better. It's Ok to take two pills of the B50 complex stuff.

Also, you can try a topical progesterone cream, which is what I'm doing this cycle. In either case, whatever you do, plan to keep it up once you get a BFP and you keep taking it through the first trimester, though if you get your levels checked and they're high enough, you can wean off earlier.

Lyndzies: no, it's the perfect time to be implanting right now. That all sounds promising.

Cejae: good idea - I decided it seemed wasteful to drive two hours each way to the beach, so we went for a big walk in the woods with a friend who doesn't get outside much. It was awesome, my dogs are zonked from the exhiliration of being allowed off leash in the woods to chase as many squirrels and hikers as they wanted.

AFM - I tested BFN this morning at 14 DPO, but the pee was not all that concentrated, so I vowed to test again tomorrow, and I'm keeping the progesterone up for now, because not starting CD 1 until as late as possible would be beneficial for me, because I have a trip out of town planned in two weeks, so if I can put AF off by a few days with the progesterone, it will buy me some time.

But, in more recent news. . .my CM looks pink. Not enough to say I'm spotting, but a touch of pink. I'm hoping it's just that cervix is annoyed with me, rather than actual bleeding, but I'm sure thats foolish.

SPBC Finally a Papa! Elise Ember Soleil - 10/3/10 - 4:09 AM - 6 lbs 8 oz My daughter eats donor milk! Human milk for human babies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2009, 10:03 AM

Hi everyone.

Just coming by to catch up (and to keep score of all those flying pee-stick contests).

Shadow, sorry to hear that AF found you.

Megin, I'm thinking of you and all of those eggies! I hope you get more fertilizations than you know what to do with! Visualizing splitting cells...

FTMPapa, sorry about those early BFNs. But it's not over yet!! I hope your woodsy walk was calming and that you get a sticky bean and a BFP asap!

Osker, I don't think that one or two energetic days has to mean a BFN; Heather was pretty pooped last week, right? FX for you to test soon and get only great news.

JJNoho, Cejae, and Lyndzies, any news? FX for you. Lyndzies, your signs sound great to me!

AFM, today is cd35, which is officially the longest cycle I've ever recorded without bleeding. And this morning I got the boldest BFP yet (I know, I know, I can't stop testing! But I've slowed down a lot). So I think I'm going to finally ask to be moved to the October BFP list, and I'll cautiously try joining the Queer and Pregnant list and my DDC. I have a midwife appointment in the first week of November (that'll be towards the end of week 8), and I remain cautiously optimistic until then. I'll let you all know how it goes! Even though I'm headed to the other thread, I hope you won't mind if I pop in here to check in (and hopefully to celebrate lots of good news); I could really use a few queer (and academic queer) buddies in my DDC!

Lots of love,
Beastie

ETA: Oops, I see that I'm already on the October BFP list; thanks, FTMPapa, for having faith in this sticky embryo even when I've been so cautious. Hoping it won't stay lonely on the Oct. BFP list for long...

Joyful, busy, often overwhelmed queer academic mama to an awesome toddler and:

****5****10****15****20****25**heartbeat.gif*30****35****40

Old 10-12-2009, 10:52 AM

So, it was a BFN for us. We sort of saw it coming with the lack of symptoms and all. That's two BFN's for FETs for us. I guess we'll be going back to good old fashioned IUI's Really the only thing I'm mourning is the lack of a bio-sibling for ds. I don't know what our plan is at the moment. A few calls to make, nurses to talk to, feelings to sort.

What do you think? One chemical and one BFN with 2 frozen embryos each time. A sign of a problem? Bad luck? It took me 1 embryo to get pregnant, so it feels pretty unlucky if that's it. ugh.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

spcd. Sorry. It's not a sign of a problem. Frozen embies are sometimes just not as strong.

Beastie - I have complete confidence in you.

Me - 15 DPO. BFN. But not bleeding. A very special TTC purgatory. I'm fairly certain I'm doing this to myself with the progesterone, but I can't stop putting on the cream, because of the very slim change I am knocked up. Also - I've never had progesterone delay my cycle before. Even when I was taking the nasty suppositories 3X/day, I would bleed right on time.

So many mixed emotions as to whether I should stop taking it or not.

SPBC Finally a Papa! Elise Ember Soleil - 10/3/10 - 4:09 AM - 6 lbs 8 oz My daughter eats donor milk! Human milk for human babies!
Old 10-12-2009, 11:36 AM

spcd - I'm so sorry to hear about the neg. Was really rooting for you and dp.

FtMPapa - Well, aren't you still wanting to delay AF so that timing next cycle is w/in a range of you being home (not traveling)? I understand that it's a weird limbo to be in, but if you're not knocked up, at least it's affording you the opportunity to O at a convenient time next cycle?

.... but I'm still hoping you're pg and one of those who just takes longer to show a +.

AFM - hanging in. Nothing too terribly exciting to report. Chart still looking good, I think (hope). But who really knows until next week, right? Trying to remain non-obsessed, but it's tough.

Part hippie-chick, part type-A career woman, all mama. Enjoying life as a wife to my partner of 11 years, and a mama to our smarty-pants toddler, Cadence.

Old 10-12-2009, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastie View Post
ETA: Oops, I see that I'm already on the October BFP list; thanks, FTMPapa, for having faith in this sticky embryo even when I've been so cautious. Hoping it won't stay lonely on the Oct. BFP list for long...
i think we all had you on the bfp list with the 1st test!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spcd View Post
So, it was a BFN for us.
so sorry for you both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FtMPapa View Post
:A very special TTC purgatory.
not a fun place to be, i'm sure! difficult decision to make.

afu: 11 dpo. no symptoms of anything. tempted to test this am but resisted. plan to wait until thursday which will be cd 28.

Me, DW , and DS born 7/6/10
Old 10-12-2009, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjnoho View Post
afu: 11 dpo. no symptoms of anything. tempted to test this am but resisted. plan to wait until thursday which will be cd 28.
Would just like to give you props for resisting the urge to POAS. That's the kind of strength I hope to have come the end of the week.

Part hippie-chick, part type-A career woman, all mama. Enjoying life as a wife to my partner of 11 years, and a mama to our smarty-pants toddler, Cadence.

Old 10-12-2009, 02:44 PM

shadow22: what about cliff diving for pee sticks? (I'm talking about hurling those things WAY off a cliff.) With a kayak down below to prevent littering, of course.

Megin, belated congrats on the dissertation! Doesn't that feel nice, when margins meet the Dragon Lady's specifications, the first page has committee signatures, and it's really, truly done? Also, congrats on a good egg harvest! What's the word on the # of fertilizations?

beastie, glad it's getting stronger. Fingers crossed.

Big hugs to those with BFNs and AFs. I'm talking a BIG hug.

spcd: -- I'm so sorry it didn't take. You asked what we think. I'm in the same boat (1 fresh embryo -> BFN, and 2 frozens -> chemical), and I don't know what to think, either. It could easily just be bad luck, given a ~30% success rate per cycle. Or a problem? So frustrating. As for "going back to good old-fashioned IUIs." I know, after IVF, IUIs do feel kinda little-house-on-the-prairie, don't they? We've been talking about Fozzie going back to IUIs if we can't make IVF work for me.

FtMPapa: big hug. That's gotta be so frustrating. Have you thought about getting a blood test? Just so you'd know 100% before you stopped the cream.

AFM, apologies for complaining about "only" 10 fertilizations, when many people don't get that many eggs. But after two unsuccessful embryo transfers, it seems that "it only takes one" (or two) isn't actually true -- it may take a LOT of tries. When I learned I made 30 eggs, I was really hoping to bank frozens so we could keep trying without another harvest.

Back to reality. We did a transfer Sunday, 4 days past egg harvest. This being my 3rd transfer, the RE thinks it's time to be "aggressive", and we agree, so we put in the five best-looking embryos. The doc was pessimistic that there would be any left to freeze, but I'll find out today, perhaps it will be surprising.

Geek. TTC since 09/2008. M/cs 01/2009, 12/2009. IVF 7/2009, 10/2009, 1/2010.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astropeep View Post
AFM, apologies for complaining about "only" 10 fertilizations, when many people don't get that many eggs. But after two unsuccessful embryo transfers, it seems that "it only takes one" (or two) isn't actually true -- it may take a LOT of tries. When I learned I made 30 eggs, I was really hoping to bank frozens so we could keep trying without another harvest.

Back to reality. We did a transfer Sunday, 4 days past egg harvest. This being my 3rd transfer, the RE thinks it's time to be "aggressive", and we agree, so we put in the five best-looking embryos. The doc was pessimistic that there would be any left to freeze, but I'll find out today, perhaps it will be surprising.
Goodness, no apologies necessary!

FX that those 5 good-looking embies make (at least) one healthy babe!

Old 10-12-2009, 03:16 PM

Hey friends,

I got a bfn this am (11 dpo), but that's not why I'm writing. It's the third day my ds (2 y/o) has had a fever (ranging from 101-103). My dp is at the docs with him as I write this and the doc is sending them to the hospital to get tested for H1N1. In the middle of his appointment I received an email from his pre-school confirming the presence of H1N1 in his classroom. So send any healthy healing thoughts you have this way...

Professional nerd, DP to Megan and mommy to 3 y/o Bam Bam . TTC since January '09.  Welcomed our new babes May 22, 2011. Now living life in the NICU one day at a time.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:25 PM

cejae - Thinking of you and your fam! Hope the little guy gets well soon. ((hugs))

Old 10-12-2009, 03:44 PM

Big prayers for health for your son!

K, H, and baby E (who is now three!!!)
Old 10-12-2009, 04:04 PM

cejae: Healing thoughts for your son!

Geek. TTC since 09/2008. M/cs 01/2009, 12/2009. IVF 7/2009, 10/2009, 1/2010.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:04 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry, I have a headache.

Astro & Fozzie.

Cejae - oh, yuck. My landlady's daughter just had it nextdoor. Ugh. We're all hoping not to get sick...but keep in mind it is "just" a bad flu. It's bad, not to minimize the risk, but it's not like we originally feared. My U predicts 40% of our students are/will be infected.

Lyndzies- love your .sig again! I've thought of doing similarly before, but I thought it would make me more insane than usual.

Megin - no news is good news...I hope? thinkin' of you guys.

AFM -

Astro - yeah, I've thought of getting a blood test just to make sure, but the issue became moot beacuse I started bleeding tonight. In future month(s), that's the protocol the clinic will follow.

But I'm sitting here drinking Chamomile Honey Vanilla Something Tea and it's awesome, with some lotus incense, and I just went out for a whole bunch of sushi and a very invigorating (and spendy!) Costco outing.

I have to call the fertility clinic tomorrow, and I guess show up there Weds or Thurs. Eep.

Old 10-13-2009, 12:27 AM

Thanks for the support everyone! Nothing like a child with a pandemic virus to take one's mind off the TWW. Looks like we are in the tail end of it. His fever finally broke tonight and my normal two year old spaz returned. Thank god.

He has to be home for one more day since those affected have to remained "quarantined" for 24 hours after the fever breaks (I work at a small residential college where a serious outbreak of this could shut down the school - that's where ds's preschool is as well. So they have very strict protocols about h1n1). So the upside is, if I get a bfn tomorrow am, I get to spend the whole day with ds instead of writing a chapter for the next book! Wahoo!

Thanks again for dealing with my minor freakout. I'm so logical about all this stuff and the hysteria around it until it hits my own baby.

Professional nerd, DP to Megan and mommy to 3 y/o Bam Bam . TTC since January '09.  Welcomed our new babes May 22, 2011. Now living life in the NICU one day at a time.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:45 AM

cejae - SO glad that DS's fever broke! Great news that he's on the road to recovery.

Papa - Sorry to hear AF found you. I was really really rooting for ya this month. Booooooo!

Oh, and the ticker is actually keeping me a little more sane. It's nice to see the sexy fingers dude move further to the right each day. And is much healthier (for me) to get excited about doing that each morning than POAS. Hahahah.

AFM - Nice big temp increase again today. Maybe yesterday was implantation? Here's hoping. Lol. 6 more days to go (hopefully I can hold out) till I test..........

Oh, and boobs = OUCH. But I'm beginning to wonder if this is just a LP symptom I never noticed before until I started paying close attention.

Old 10-13-2009, 10:29 AM

Papa, I'm really sorry about AF. And no, there is nothing like a Costco trip to make one feel better.

jjnoho, what self control you have! Can you send some my way?

Lyndzies, agreed, the new ticker is awesome.

AFM, I got a BFM this morning on my stick. That's a Big Fat Maybe. A line appeared, very very very very faint and not gray. But when I peed again on a new stick to confirm (not having had anything to drink) nothing. So back in TWW purgatory. My chart looks like I may have had an implantation dip 9dpo and I've been having mild cramps and my face has little pimply bumps all over it (my face never ever breaks out) and my boobs are *not* sore (a usual LP symptom). So weird. Chart: http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/26a831

Old 10-13-2009, 11:14 AM

cejae, i don't know... they say a line is a line.... test again! FX for you, big time!!! come on, BFP with a dark line!!!! G/L!!!

DP and I  rainbow1284.gif together since 2001, brokenheart.gif 4/10,  pos.gif 7/10
DS - planned h20homebirth.gif born via ribboncesarean.gif 4/4/2011
)O( treehugger.gif nocirc.gif winner.jpg cd.gif greenthumb.gif earth.gif whale.gif
Old 10-13-2009, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cejae View Post

AFM, I got a BFM this morning on my stick. That's a Big Fat Maybe. A line appeared, very very very very faint and not gray. But when I peed again on a new stick to confirm (not having had anything to drink) nothing. So back in TWW purgatory.
BFM - I love it! Also known as a WTF???

But, it sounds to me like you got a WLP - Wee Little Positive - and this, my friends, is why you should always pee in a cup - so that you can dip a dozen different sticks if you wanna.

that it's darker tomorrow!

Old 10-13-2009, 12:57 PM

Quote:
I started bleeding tonight.

I have to call the fertility clinic tomorrow, and I guess show up there Weds or Thurs. Eep.
so sorry about af! hope your clinic appointment goes well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cejae View Post
AFM, I got a BFM this morning on my stick. That's a Big Fat Maybe. A line appeared, very very very very faint and not gray. But when I peed again on a new stick to confirm (not having had anything to drink) nothing.
my understanding is a line is a line is a line - it has nothing to do with how dark it is, unlike opk lines. let's hope you might be on to something!

Quote:
and this, my friends, is why you should always pee in a cup - so that you can dip a dozen different sticks if you wanna.
absolutely everyone should pee in a cup - you never know when a bad test is going to happen or you might need to confirm something! then you don't have to wait and wonder.

i talked myself out of testing again this morning at 12 dpo. had a temp increase which was unusual for me. i looked at my old charts and my temp has never gone this high. i guess more days will determine if it means something or was a fluke. i was reading the % of test accuracy this morning and saw that 1 day prior is 95% accurate - that might be tempting enough to test tomorrow!!!

Old 10-13-2009, 03:56 PM

cejae -- test again!

papa -- SO not fair that you started bleeding. Bah! hoping the clinic treats you well this time and you get what you need from this round of testing. ugh.

jj -- that's some major restraint you're showing with not testing. nice work!

afu -- they retrieved 26 eggs on saturday and 7 fertilized. astro -- hearing your numbers had us prepared for low fertilization numbers, so we weren't too bummed with 7. i'd love to have gotten 12 or something like that, but we're thinking that 7 is 6 more than we "need," so to speak, so hopefully that'll be enough for us. transfer is thursday.

and thanks, also, for all the dissertation congrats! it was the first submission, so there will still be revisions, but still, a momentous occasion, and particularly nice not to spend my weekend writing.

be well all,
megin

Mommy to an amazing 8 year old, wife to an inspiring principal, and welcoming Wylie Grace! Our July 4th babe!
Old 10-13-2009, 10:13 PM

Ugh. We tested. BFN on 12dpo, end of the day, after lots of water.... The only reason we tested was because Heather gagged and had to open a window while she was doing the dishes because the smell of old food was so gross to her. That, and while I was in the grocery store this evening she said that she wanted to just quickly throw up before I came back out to the car so that she would feel better... This never happens! She hates to throw up and never understands the idea that doing say could make her feel better...

Blech, this tww sucks.

K, H, and baby E (who is now three!!!)
Old 10-13-2009, 10:48 PM - Thread Starter

Osker - I pronounce that test invalid! That totally doesn't count.

Frustration land over here - I played phone tag with my fertility clinic all day. Finally, I found out that I am getting day 3 labs done on Thursday, but I am not supposed to meet with the RE to discuss my treatment plan, and I am thus not going to be able to get any meds this cycle, this is a "bloodwork only" cycle.

If I'm not wrong, virtually all fertility meds require starting on CD 3. In the past, I've had bloodwork on the early morning of CD 3 and then a phone conversation with a nurse in the PM to say "No meds" or "We'll call in a script for [whatever] if that doesn't sound reasonable, I can get the doc to call you in an hour or so..."

But this clinic says that they won't even get the CD 3 bloodwork back until Monday, which is CD 7 - at which point they'll call for me to book an appointment to talk about a treatment protocol. Which wouldn't start until next month.

(For those out of the fertility clinic high-intervention loop, CD 3 bloodwork is mostly about one number - your FSH or Follicle Stimulating Hormone, and low is good. Mine is always around 5, while 10 is the magic "Houston, we have a problem", number.)

Uh....does that sound to anyone else like "Hey, go cool your heels for a month while we do nothing..." or am I just paranoid?

I already had my go-away, come back next cycle appointment last cycle. Why are they doing this to me?

Why can't I get one lousy ulrasound follicle count and a trigger shot? Why?

Old 10-13-2009, 11:22 PM

wow, i sure miss a lot when i got and wander about in the woods, wallowing in my af induced misery.
astropeep and megin - hope those beautiful embies grow and stick and grow and stick some more!
cejea - poor little fella. cool baths always worked well with my guy. oh and reruns of thomas the tank engine (which drove me to drink but that's another story).
afm - thanks for the progesterone advice. i'm losing faith in my bod at the moment - feel like it's not doing anything right and maybe I should just give up and move to plan b of getting my wifey knocked up instead. Sigh. I have an appointment with a tcm fertility specialist on tuesday and also meeting two new fertility docs in the next two weeks so i guess we'll hit decision time by the end of the month. in the mean time, we just called our adorable donor to say we'd be down for another round next week so I'm getting back on the horse - one more time.

So has anyone else had any luck with tcm?
oh, it's going to snow here this week - eek!

and papa - sometimes i think REs have a horrible god complex and have totally lost sight of the fact they are dealing with people, real live people with real live hopes and dreams and real lives who want to have real babies, not just statisitcs and hormones and things you can look at with ultrasounds. Perhaps we should all make tshirts that say 'there's a person attached to this uterus - just look up!" and wear them to our next clinic visits.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:48 PM

Papa- at that particular clinic I sometimes think it's about getting through the "guard dogs". Once you get to talk to a nurse (and some are better than others) or even the Dr., I tend to get what I need. I remember getting that put-off call. Sooooo frusterating.
In fact, we're waiting for the nurses to give us a call back to see if we will continue to work with them. Choices....monitored IUI's at the RE's or more self-control IUI with our midwife? I'm actually more comfortable at the RE's - but only because I know the routine. The midwife would be nice - relaxed, holistic, positive.

Fingers crossed for everyone else. I agree that pee test was totally invalid.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spcd View Post
Papa- at that particular clinic I sometimes think it's about getting through the "guard dogs". Once you get to talk to a nurse (and some are better than others) or even the Dr., I tend to get what I need. I remember getting that put-off call. Sooooo frusterating.
In fact, we're waiting for the nurses to give us a call back to see if we will continue to work with them. Choices....monitored IUI's at the RE's or more self-control IUI with our midwife? I'm actually more comfortable at the RE's - but only because I know the routine. The midwife would be nice - relaxed, holistic, positive.

Fingers crossed for everyone else. I agree that pee test was totally invalid.
Thanks for the insight, SPCD. I did talk to a nurse, but it took like eighteen calls back and forth.

I like the idea of the fertility clinic, because I like the ultrasound monitoring and the 7 day a week availability...but do you know (I'm hazy on the details) but it sounds like they store the sperm somewhere else and you have to go get it the day of your IUI? How weird is that? (Somewhere else is probably not far, but still...I expected them to store it right there!)

Ok, if I see you there, you have to say hi! You'll know who I am - the lone guy with no wife.

Old 10-14-2009, 01:17 AM

Papa, You know the same thing happened to us at Kaiser and at our REs. It's just the awful medical model where they forget the we are human beings with our own schedules. It's like their sacred protocol takes over all else. I'm really sorry you are having to deal with this.

Osker, oh man, no late in the day pee!! Test again in the morning.

AFM, after my BFM I spotted tonight. The progesterone held off my period the entire 15 days last time and it didn't start until 24 hours after I started taking it. So given that today is 12 dpo I'm not sure why the spot. Sigh.

Oh, and duh Papa! I can't believe I've never thought to save the pee in the pee cup to double test. I always dump it right away. I swear to god the phd makes me dumber.

Old 10-14-2009, 01:32 AM - Thread Starter

Cejae, did your RE make you sit the entire cycle out?

A friend of mine says it's an insurance thing - they have to have your CD 3 labs to send in before they get preauthorization for anything.

And she got totally different information from what I got - at the same clinic, with a different doc.

So, uh, does anyone who had good CD 3 labs know what good labs look like? Last month my #s were: HCG negative, TSH 0.97, E2 79, LH 2.1, FSH 2.4. That sounds pretty good to me. Why won't they just use my #s from last month????

Ok, save your pee tomorrow! Did you miss my post about carrying pee around in my lunch box last month? That was funny, dudes.

Old 10-14-2009, 02:23 AM

Hi ftmpapa, can you please add me to the 2ww list? I haven't technically stuck anything in me yet, but waiting for KD to finish work today, and by the time all you in America land wake up I guess I'll be ready full of man gunk and in company in the 2ww group

Beastie congrats! I dont know how to do fancy emoticons throwing hearts and flowers but I'm sending you all the positive thoughts I can from NZ. Heaps of sticky vibes too. Hope you stay healthy and happy for the months ahead. Well done!!

Jjnoho I am totally with you on the waiting til 14dpo to test - I can't hack doing it earlier! Then I sit there for 10 minutes staring at the line holding it every which way under the light trying to find the faintest line... and if there is nothing then I start to obsess about all my physical sensations... grasping at straws, berating myself for grasping at straws, convincing myself that grasping at straws isnt grasping at straws - it goes on. Much rather just wait!

This will be round 8 for me. Hopefully I can focus on the research proposal I have due and exams instead of obsessing. Bring on summer holidays!!!!

Good luck everyone, I have my fingers crossed for a whole heap of BFPs for us all
Old 10-14-2009, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Why can't I get one lousy ulrasound follicle count and a trigger shot? Why?
if what you want is ultrasound monitoring, i'm pretty sure the holyoke group can assist you and you won't have to deal with the re office! might be worth a call to them to find out??? they might be willing to use last month's labs - having them done again and waiting another cycle sounds ridiculous!

another boring update from me...13 dpo. really wanted to test today but dp and i have an agreement that testing is always done together and she needed to leave early for work. good excuse to make me wait until 14 dpo which was my goal.

my temp remains elevated but not a single feeling of nothing!?

User Tag List