What STD tests did you get your known donor to do? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-13-2009, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all-
I assumed we would get our KD screened for everything that a sperm bank does for thier donors, but when I've called around to local clinics they didnt even know about some of these tests!

Are all of these really necessary? obviously I am going to have him do HIV-1, syphillis, chlymdia, gonnoreah, hep b&c. but is HTLV 1/2, CMV, and HIV-2 necessary? I don't even see HTLV listed as a test in the Brill book. And as far as CMV goes, it sounds like even if he is positive that you can still use him, correct?

we are also having him do some basic health tests (blood work chem panel etc) and genetic screening because my partner just found out she is a carrier for tay--sachs. we already did the sperm analysis.

what did others who used KDs do?
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2009, 01:23 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We just did the "standard tests" with ours. That is to say, the first group that you mentioned. We're not bothering with any genetic screening either.

I'm a queer, poly, pagan, (dis)abled, crazy, crunchy, intersectionally-minded feminist. fsonj & I are mamas to our unschooled/freeschooled 12yo & 3yo!  (Ask me about co-breastfeeding, supplementing at the breast, inducing lactation, eating placentas, undisturbed birth, and parenting a genderqueer child with Aspergers!)
Old 11-14-2009, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citygirl144 View Post
Hi all-
I assumed we would get our KD screened for everything that a sperm bank does for thier donors, but when I've called around to local clinics they didnt even know about some of these tests!

Are all of these really necessary? obviously I am going to have him do HIV-1, syphillis, chlymdia, gonnoreah, hep b&c. but is HTLV 1/2, CMV, and HIV-2 necessary? I don't even see HTLV listed as a test in the Brill book. And as far as CMV goes, it sounds like even if he is positive that you can still use him, correct?

we are also having him do some basic health tests (blood work chem panel etc) and genetic screening because my partner just found out she is a carrier for tay--sachs. we already did the sperm analysis.

what did others who used KDs do?
Thanks!
My clinic required: HIV 1 & 2, syphilis, chlamydia (SP?), gonoreah (SP?), Hep B, C. Test for cystic fibrosis carrier, test for tay sachs carrier (I'm in a high risk group - so exotic, those French Canadians! I had the Ashzkenazi/French Canadian panel, but my donor didn't, since I'm not a carrier for anything.)

This one wasn't on your list - syphilis.

As for CMV, if your partner is +, don't worry about it. If she's -, it's only an issue if he's +, and even then, it's a tiny, tiny issue. So I wouldn't sweat it too much. I'm + so I haven't spent a lot of time looking at it.

Not an STD test, but you'll want to type her and his blood. If she's a - rh, i.e. her blood type is A-, B-, O-...whatever, you may want to think carefully about your known donor also being -. Most people are +, but there is a potential for problems if the pregnant person is - and the fetus is + which is only possible if the donor is +. On the other hand, if she's +, it's a non-issue. Get advice from a doc if she's - and he's +. It doesn't matter what blood group (A, AB, B, O..) only what the Rh factor is. It's fairly easily managed, from what I understand, with Rhogam in pregnancy, but I know when I was using anonymous sperm, my doc said she counsels her Rh- patients to choose an Rh- donor to avoid any issues. It wouldn't likely be enough to make me reconsider a KD with the "wrong" blood type, but it's somewhere you'd want medical advice to make an informed decision.

SPBC Finally a Papa! Elise Ember Soleil - 10/3/10 - 4:09 AM - 6 lbs 8 oz My daughter eats donor milk! Human milk for human babies!
Old 11-15-2009, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

This is so helpful, as always. Thanks!
Old 11-16-2009, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Hi all-
HIV-1, syphillis, chlymdia, gonnoreah, hep b&c
This is what we did. Though we should have gotten his blood typed. I got the Rhogam shot for nothing!

rainbow1284.gifbeth  stillheart.gifDW   blahblah.gif DD  Nov. 2009 and 1sttri.gif due Feb. 2013

Old 11-19-2009, 05:12 AM

This is what we did for our KD:

HIV-1 and HIV-2
HTLV-1 and 2
Hepatitis B surface antigen and core antibody
Hepatitis C antibody
Syphilis
SGOT
SGPT
chlamydia.
Gonorrhea
Human papillomavirus (HPV)
Herpes simplex 1&2
Cytomegalovirus (CMV)
RH

Megan-39, Postpartum Doula, DW to Sacha-40 (18 years together) and Mama to Finn Alexander born 4/2/07 and Zivia Littlewood born 8/23/10

Old 11-19-2009, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, that is a very comprehensive list, Megan-Sacha. Did you just get them done in a doctor's office or did he have to go to a special clinic or multiple providers? Were you able to get it covered by his insurance? The clinic we are sending our KD to doesn't seem to want to do CMV....
Old 11-19-2009, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Wow, that is a very comprehensive list, Megan-Sacha. Did you just get them done in a doctor's office or did he have to go to a special clinic or multiple providers? Were you able to get it covered by his insurance? The clinic we are sending our KD to doesn't seem to want to do CMV....
He was able to get them all done at a regular family practice doctor's office or their lab. His insurance covered the whole thing the first time around but this time I don't know if they will because he has different insurance.

Megan-39, Postpartum Doula, DW to Sacha-40 (18 years together) and Mama to Finn Alexander born 4/2/07 and Zivia Littlewood born 8/23/10

Old 11-19-2009, 04:58 PM

Looks like great lists already mentioned. I wanted to add that Planned Parenthood has a "Peace of Mind" package for all STDs. We did that with each KD. $175 without insurance.

Sarah - mama to the love of my life, Aurelia Josephine, b. June 11, 2010

Old 11-21-2009, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megan sacha View Post
He was able to get them all done at a regular family practice doctor's office or their lab. His insurance covered the whole thing the first time around but this time I don't know if they will because he has different insurance.
I'm sorry but I have to revise this list. Actually, we just found out we weren't able to do the following tests at this doctor because they require a semen sample and their lab doesn't test semen samples:
Gonorrhea
Herpes simplex 1&2
Cytomegalovirus (CMV)

Old 12-02-2009, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megan sacha View Post
I'm sorry but I have to revise this list. Actually, we just found out we weren't able to do the following tests at this doctor because they require a semen sample and their lab doesn't test semen samples:
Gonorrhea
Herpes simplex 1&2
Cytomegalovirus (CMV)
Revised again to say that the above list was all able to be tested in blood and so yes, they were all able to be completed by the lab at a family practice doc's office.

User Tag List