Pregnant from frozen donor sperm- how much chance do I have that it would be a girl? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 11-20-2009, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hi,
I was on here a bit when I was ttc though my situation is I am a straight woman whose husband is infertile. Anyway- 26 weeks pregnant now from frozen sperm bank donor sperm.
I actually asked this in the beginning of my pregnancy but I want to ask again - is there really a very low probability that I could have a girl since I got pregnant form frozen donor sperm and the whole timing thing and all? ( and also maybe the freeze/thaw aspect effects it?)

What are the chances I could have a girl? I guess I wouldn't mind having a girl for either this or my next baby- I wouldn't mind a boy at all either! But I just want to know if I have a decent chance of either, or if it really is an 80% chance of boy because of using frozen donor sperm?
Sorry to be redundant as I did ask this question a few months back. I just want to know if anyone has or knows people who have girls from this method (we did at home inseminations) and if anyone knows the chances of boy or girl?
thanks!
#2 of 10 Old 11-20-2009, 10:09 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a girl! My sperm bank gives the stats, and I think it was either 50/50, or 49/51. Really, really close.

I'm so happy that you're this far along. Congratulations!

A, partner to J, mama to O, now with a new username!

Building queer family since 2008!

(and oh, did i mention we're having twins?!?)

#3 of 10 Old 11-20-2009, 11:51 PM

I have a (almost ONE year old!!!!) daughter. We know two other families who have used the same donor. One family has one child, a DD. The other family has a two year old DD and triplets (one DD and 2 DS). That's four daughters and two sons.
#4 of 10 Old 11-20-2009, 11:54 PM

I've never heard that 80% thing before! Frozen donor sperm user here -- girl.

Perpetually exhausted single mother by choice to one little girl (2/06)
#5 of 10 Old 11-21-2009, 12:20 AM

I believe that the statistics USED to be something like 80% chance of boy when using frozen sperm, but that current day statistics are much closer to 50% (due to better freezing technology? Not sure).

We have four boys from the same donor, but this is not exactly indicative of anything. Of the donor siblings we've found (over 30), exactly half are girls, and half are boys. We're actually the only family among the families we've found who have all boys (a couple others have all girls, but most families have some of each, unless they only have one kid). Why WE got so lucky, I have no idea .

Congrats on 26 weeks!

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#6 of 10 Old 11-21-2009, 10:24 AM

I know plenty of people who've had girls with frozen donor sperm.

I have one boy and a surprise on the way. Do to the timing of my insemination I have decided it's a girl . There is no way in hell the boy sperm would have lived long enough...I was convinced there was no way it worked because I seemed to have ovulated more than 24 hours after the insem...we'll find out in June.

As for my son's siblings from the same donor (that we know of) there are 5 boys and 3 girls. But there are at least 5 more families we don't know about...

Eryn, wife to Amy, Mum to Eli, b. 1/9/08 and Willow, b. 5/29/10
#7 of 10 Old 11-21-2009, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Good to know! thanks! Because the thing is- ideally I would love to eventually have one of each- and I would just feel sad to think that I could never have a decent chance of having a girl. I guess I just always seem to hear of boys being born form this method. Also- if that shettles timing thing is accurate- maybe it really isn't?- then, as you know- you really have to time your inseminations so close to ovulation.
anyway- thanks for the reassurance. I just like to feel that in this and future pregnancies that I have good chances of having either gender. We are waiting for a birth surprise so I will let you all know in a few months. BTW- the pregnancy is going really well and I am loving it!
Thanks
#8 of 10 Old 11-21-2009, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie34 View Post
BTW- the pregnancy is going really well and I am loving it!
Thanks
Yay!

A, partner to J, mama to O, now with a new username!

Building queer family since 2008!

(and oh, did i mention we're having twins?!?)

#9 of 10 Old 11-21-2009, 09:46 PM

DP got pregnant with our daughter after 6 months of trying with donor sperm and I got pregnant 3 months after trying with twins boys so I am not sure what to think.

: DD 8/29/08 and twin boys 11/3/09
#10 of 10 Old 11-22-2009, 01:43 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
You could probably ask your bank what their particular stats are, not that I can see how it would be different bank-to-bank but I think they do in general keep them. Ours said roughly 49/51. We have two kids, same donor, we each gave birth to one, a daughter and a son.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page