December Queer Conceptions: My BFP would be the greatest gift this season! - Page 9 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#241 of 307 Old 12-20-2009, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
katherinerose, I'm so sorry. I hope that the break is rejuvenating and re-energizing and everything you need.

K, H, and baby E (who is now three!!!)
#242 of 307 Old 12-20-2009, 11:47 PM

Thanks for the thoughts... I'm not looking forward to telling my mother...

Lyndzies That is totes a line!!!

Living with my DW, ourcat.gifAstrid, my mom and dad, and their dog and cats, too.  Hoping to start TTC with my OSO as baby-daddy soonish!

#243 of 307 Old 12-21-2009, 11:46 AM

lyndzies: that is most definitely a line. there is no such thing as being a little bit pregnant! it doesn't matter how faint the line is. hopefully we will be able to welcome you over on the other board soon

Me, DW , and DS born 7/6/10
#244 of 307 Old 12-21-2009, 11:46 AM

i see a line! where are you this morning with an update!?

g

my family - dp d heartbeat.gif, ds b biggrinbounce.gif (4), ds f thumbsuck.gif (2), dd a baby.gif (jan '12), ddog m dog2.gif
#245 of 307 Old 12-21-2009, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FtMPapa View Post
I've been sleeping my weekend away, and I'm getting psyched up to call the insurance first thing tomorrow morning. I am very, very, very upset about all this. Even if they eventually approve my IVF, I was set to go for January, and I don't know if that's going to be able to happen now, which is so unfortunate because donor boy and I are on school break for most of January, so it's the ideal time to do IVF. If we can't do January, I might aim for Spring break in March, and do IUI/Tamoxifen or IUI/Femara in the meantime.
Oh, papa. I really hope you are able to make some progress w/ these insurance nuts today. And I think that it's great that you're still thinking of doing IUI in the meantime as you figure out the IVF stuff. I (personally) think that's the best route to take, even if it's not your preferred solution. and hang in there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharinerose View Post
Thanks for the thoughts... I'm not looking forward to telling my mother...
Awwww... try not to worry about others; just you and DP. Others will always have their opinions, but what really matters is that you two are okay, and are able to make a decision that's best for you about what to do next. Thinking of you!

AFM - Thanks so much for all the positive vibes, and the thinking of my test as positive. I'm STARTING To think so, too. But remain skeptical. That damn CP this summer has jaded me! Lol. Not fair. I would love to be seeing dancing veggies, but I'm just not ready! I'm hoping I'll have some clearer results by/before Xmas.

My update is that I did not POAS today (I probably won't, busy day and dinner guest tonight). WHich is fine, because I'm way too obsessed and need to cool it and relax a bit. This stress can't be good for anything.

Also, temp is up (although dropped a bit, still at 99.0, which is well above the "triphasic" CL of 98.7) and most importantly NO AF (yet).

OOOOH, and there's this (xposted and this is mos. def. TMI any other place but here): I gave my nips a little squeeze/pull to see if they were extra sensitive or anything... and a couple droplets of (thin, liquid-y) white stuff came out! WTH? Is this an early PG sign? Just wondering for those of you that have been PG before... sorry if this grossed any of you out. But it's certainly no worse than discussions of CM! Lol.

Hope everyone is having an okay Monday. Back to the grind! Bleh.

Part hippie-chick, part type-A career woman, all mama. Enjoying life as a wife to my partner of 11 years, and a mama to our smarty-pants toddler, Cadence.

#246 of 307 Old 12-21-2009, 01:16 PM

Lyndzies - Honestly, I don't remember "leaking" like that until midway through my pregnancy, but that doesn't mean anything. I'm still cheering you on!!!

Katharinerose - dammit. s

AFM - I'm so sorry to turn this post about me, but I need support.

The good news : faint BFP, yesterday AM, yesterday PM and this morning with 2nd FMU, and this AM's was a smidge darker. Well, it was dark enough that I could put the stick on the counter and stand away from it and still see a faint line. I would take pictures, but my camera can't handle it and just fuzzes out.

The bad news: I'm still lightly spotting and my temps are going down (although not yet to CP). I've had no symptoms/signs/stars crashing for the past three days.

I'm trying REALLY hard not to be neurotic about this and failing miserably. DW doesn't know about the faint BFPs because she wanted to test together and hold out until at least tomorrow, preferably Wednesday, so I don't have anyone else to tell me to chill out.

Samantha, married to Holly for over five years . DD #1 born 12/13/06 , DD #2 born 8/18/10 and 2 furballs of indeterminate age.
#247 of 307 Old 12-21-2009, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpgoddess View Post
I'm so sorry to turn this post about me, but I need support.

The good news : faint BFP, yesterday AM, yesterday PM and this morning with 2nd FMU, and this AM's was a smidge darker. Well, it was dark enough that I could put the stick on the counter and stand away from it and still see a faint line. I would take pictures, but my camera can't handle it and just fuzzes out.

The bad news: I'm still lightly spotting and my temps are going down (although not yet to CP). I've had no symptoms/signs/stars crashing for the past three days.

I'm trying REALLY hard not to be neurotic about this and failing miserably. DW doesn't know about the faint BFPs because she wanted to test together and hold out until at least tomorrow, preferably Wednesday, so I don't have anyone else to tell me to chill out.
Don't even apologize, my dear! Support is exactly what we're all here for.

It is a GREAT sign that you're getting faint lines! So first of all, yay!!!! And double yay that it's getting darker!

As far as spotting... I've read that it can be COMPLETELY normal to spot in early PG. And that no symptoms can be a good symptom! And if your temps are still above CL, then that's also very good news.

Anyway, if it were me (shoot it is me... I need to take my own advice) and I were getting faint positives but spotting, I'd probably go in to get a quant HCG and progesterone test to see what's up. The spotting could be due to being PG with low progesterone, and in that case, you might need a supplement.

All that said, . It's totally natural to be neurotic about this. At the very least, I'd convince DP that maybe tonight (or tomorrow) is a good time to test together, so that you can have her support, as well.

Part hippie-chick, part type-A career woman, all mama. Enjoying life as a wife to my partner of 11 years, and a mama to our smarty-pants toddler, Cadence.

#248 of 307 Old 12-21-2009, 02:17 PM

mkpgoddess First of all, congratulations on the positive tests! It must be really intense and overwhelming to be dealing with the excitement and the fear (from the spotting/low temps) on your own. I'm glad you posted here. I didn't have spotting w/my DD, but I did have absolutely NO symptoms until about 9 weeks. I know that light spotting in very early pregnancy is common and not necessarily a bad sign. I'm not sure what to say about the temps. Have you poked around FF or other sites to look at pregnancy charts? I wouldn't be surprised if there was some variation there. Also, have you had trouble with short LPs or low progesterone? I do (only 10 day LPs), so my midwife recommended progesterone cream, which I will stay on for the first trimester (once I'm pregnant, that is ;-). Realistically, if this is a CP or very early MC, progesterone cream probably won't help at this point. But it might give you a bit of peace of mind? If you do it, though, you have to stay on it for the entire first trimester. My midwife recommended one pump twice a day on the lower belly. In all likelihood, everything is fine, and you're pregnant! I do understand the anxiety, however, which is especially difficult when you aren't sharing it with your DW. Might you tell your DW anyway, even though it isn't how you planned? Fingers crossed for you.

Lyndzies I understand your hesitation after the CP this summer, but I do hope that you are able to relax a bit and celebrate this wonderful moment!

Partner rainbow1284.gif of 17 yrs to DP,  Mommy to 10-yr-old Z blowkiss.gif, and Lilah Nyx, born 7/24/11 luxlove.gif.

#249 of 307 Old 12-21-2009, 03:34 PM

P.S. Happy Solstice, everyone!

May personkind be able to live in Peace someday... I think it's totally possible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_Xdk4PujOE

The Christians and the Pagans (Dar Williams)
Amber called her uncle,
said "We're up here for the holiday
Jane and I were having Solstice,
now we need a place to stay"
And her Christ-loving uncle
watched his wife hang Mary on a tree
He watched his son hang candy canes
all made with red dye number three
He told his niece, "It's Christmas eve,
I know our life is not your style"
She said, "Christmas is like Solstice,
and we miss you and it's been awhile"

So the Christians and the Pagans
sat together at the table
Finding faith and common ground
the best that they were able
And just before the meal was served,
hands were held and prayers were said
Sending hope for peace on earth
to all their gods and goddesses

The food was great, the tree plugged in,
the meal had gone without a hitch
Till Timmy turned to Amber and said,
"Is it true that you're a witch?"
His mom jumped up and said, "The pies are burning,"
and she hit the kitchen
And it was Jane who spoke, she said,
"It's true, your cousin's not a Christian"
"But we love trees, we love the snow,
the friends we have, the world we share
And you find magic from your God,
and we find magic everywhere"

And where does magic come from,
I think magic's in the learning
Cause now when Christians sit with Pagans
only pumpkin pies are burning

When Amber tried to do the dishes,
her aunt said, "Really, no, don't bother"
Amber's uncle saw how Amber
looked like Tim and like her father
He thought about his brother,
how they hadn't spoken in a year
He thought he'd call him up and say,
"It's Christmas and your daughter's here"
He thought of fathers, sons and brothers,
saw his own son tug his sleeve saying
"Can I be a Pagan?" Dad said,
"We'll discuss it when they leave"

Lighting trees in darkness,
learning new ways from the old, and
Making sense of history and
drawing warmth out of the cold

#250 of 307 Old 12-21-2009, 05:23 PM

I love that song Thank you for reminding me about it.

S & Yrainbow1284.gif (Vermont Civil Union 7/8/03) DS1 Holdennovaxnocirc.gif (4/25/07) and two in heaven  angel.gif1/10 &  angel.gif5/10 our rainbow1284.gif is here  DS2 Keegan(5/23/11)homebirth.jpg

#251 of 307 Old 12-21-2009, 05:41 PM

Thanks guys. I did finally break down and tell DW, although I felt bad for doing it over the phone (she's at work). Now, of course, she's worried but we're trying to just believe that this is going to be just fine. And hey, at least for TODAY, we're pregnant, right??

AmandaHope - I've not gotten tested since DD, despite trying very hard to get an appt before we planned to insem, but that's a whole other story. Anyway, my LP is generally 13-15 days, so it didn't really occur to me that there would be an issue. My feeling is that either the spotting/low temps is implantation or this is a CP and it sort of sucks to know that...you know?

Lyndzies - I'm going to wait until my AF is supposed to arrive and if we're still doing weird things, spotting, low temps, etc. I will DEFINITELY go find a doctor. Having said that....go find a doctor!!! LOL!

Thanks again, all. I knew you guys would understand...

Samantha, married to Holly for over five years . DD #1 born 12/13/06 , DD #2 born 8/18/10 and 2 furballs of indeterminate age.
#252 of 307 Old 12-21-2009, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Thanks guys. I did finally break down and tell DW, although I felt bad for doing it over the phone (she's at work). Now, of course, she's worried but we're trying to just believe that this is going to be just fine. And hey, at least for TODAY, we're pregnant, right??

AmandaHope - I've not gotten tested since DD, despite trying very hard to get an appt before we planned to insem, but that's a whole other story. Anyway, my LP is generally 13-15 days, so it didn't really occur to me that there would be an issue. My feeling is that either the spotting/low temps is implantation or this is a CP and it sort of sucks to know that...you know?

Lyndzies - I'm going to wait until my AF is supposed to arrive and if we're still doing weird things, spotting, low temps, etc. I will DEFINITELY go find a doctor. Having said that....go find a doctor!!! LOL!

Thanks again, all. I knew you guys would understand...
First of all, CONGRATULATIONS! You ARE pregnant. And, I'm guessing the spotting is not a problem given that it's several days before you usually spot and you have a 13-14 day LP. I would guess that it's probably implantation spotting, but I agree that going for a beta and progesterone check ASAP would be a good idea. Also, having no symptoms means nothing, many women report that.

Megan-39, Postpartum Doula, DW to Sacha-40 (18 years together) and Mama to Finn Alexander born 4/2/07 and Zivia Littlewood born 8/23/10

#253 of 307 Old 12-22-2009, 03:30 AM

RANT

So back before we first started insemming, I asked Mom if she'd had any trouble getting pregnant. She said no, it had taken a while to preg with my little sister, but it had been "dad's fault."

Tonight, as I'm miserable from horrible cramps (I'm on my 3rd Aleve plus a ThermaCare wrap, plus a hot bath and I still want to rip out my uterus with a spoon), she comes in and tells me it took her "forever" to get pregnant with me and they were working on adoption. And she's so sorry she passed those genes on.

If I'd known they had problems, I would've upped my medical assistance months ago, when I had, you know, insurance coverage and income. And SPERM.

I'm more than a little upset.

/RANT

Living with my DW, ourcat.gifAstrid, my mom and dad, and their dog and cats, too.  Hoping to start TTC with my OSO as baby-daddy soonish!

#254 of 307 Old 12-22-2009, 10:42 AM

FTM Papa - I hope your insurance woes get worked out soon.

AFM - I'm horribly behind on everyones updates:

- My wife fainted at work, several times and has to be rushed to the ER (all will be fine)

- I'm thinking of finding a new RE if this is the case, i'm out this month

- I have a pap today, totally dreading this appointment.

- 2 more 1/2 days at work (not including today) and then i'm off until New Years!

2nd try was a charm! BFP EDD 10/17/10 Beta @ 12 dpo - 92 Beta @ 15 dpo - 902 - It's a GIRL - Olivia Grace 10/18/10 6lb 12 oz
#255 of 307 Old 12-22-2009, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megan sacha View Post
First of all, CONGRATULATIONS! You ARE pregnant. And, I'm guessing the spotting is not a problem given that it's several days before you usually spot and you have a 13-14 day LP. I would guess that it's probably implantation spotting, but I agree that going for a beta and progesterone check ASAP would be a good idea. Also, having no symptoms means nothing, many women report that.
I agree, completely. How's things going?

Lyndzies - where are you at???

KatharineRose - Grrrr. It doesn't mean it's genetic, necessarily. I think it could be a sign that it's true, once you have a kid some of the pain and neverendingness of the wait really does go away. I staunchly refuse to believe those who claim it all goes away - I don't think that will be my experience, but maybe time and parenting dulls the ache.

However, I would be equally annoyed with my mother if she were holding out that kind of thing on me.

AFM:

Ugh. Things are not good with the insurance. I'm being told I should I have submitted a pre-determination form 20 business days (that's a month) before my cycle started. But when my doc's office called in early November, they were told that no such thing was required. So, they're trying to rush it for me, I'm trying to get support/assistance/interpretation of the contract from my university's admin person and my union, to little avail, since it's the week of Christmas.

I awoke with a major headache this morning, I think it might be a migraine, but I'm trying to stave it off. It might be hormonal, the birth control pills are mucking with me, I had major EWCM this morning. (WTF?) Anyone have experience with BCP? I'm on Apri, which is some sort of generic.

SPBC Finally a Papa! Elise Ember Soleil - 10/3/10 - 4:09 AM - 6 lbs 8 oz My daughter eats donor milk! Human milk for human babies!
#256 of 307 Old 12-22-2009, 11:31 AM

mkpgoddess - Of course we understand! My advice (which I'm trying to take, myself) is to enjoy being pregnant. It's something we all wait for for so long; we have to try to embrace it when it happens! (don't worry, I'm working on this, too!). Thinking of you, and hoping for darker positives (and no spotting) for you very soon!!!

katharinerose - I'm sorry you are only just finding this out after all that time. s This whole TTC thing is just NOT FAIR more often than not.

Mistral - Oh noes! Sorry to hear about DW! Wishing her a speedy recovery from whatever is wrong. Too bad that you may have to take a month off.. but maybe a new RE will be the best decision you could make, and cause things to fall into place (and work!). . Also, PAP = yuck, but vacation = YAY!

FtMPapa - I'm sorry things are so messy with the insurance crap. Hopefully the fact that they are *trying* to rush things is a good indicator that it will be approved, though? for you. But you're right. This is a useless week for anything getting accomplished in the medical world. Also, I hope the headache goes away. I don't really recall what my experience with BCP was... it was so freaking long ago, and I think the Pill is a lot different now than it was... what...? ... almost a decade ago? Wow... definitely been awhile since I was on *that* side of the fence (the only reason I took BCPs were for BC. Lol!)

AFM - Nothing much to update. Pee'd on an Answer and a digi (CBE) last night after a 7 hour hold. there's a line in the original and the tweak (it's okay if you can't see it, though). Very faint (big surprise) and not even sure it's pink. And the digi? It basically told me to go f*ck myself. I hate those things.

But my temps are still up. And still have the nip droplet thing (colostrum?) going on. So those are good signs. And of course no AF is the best sign of all. Soooo... I've given myself a deadline. Even if I don't have a strong BFP by Christmas, I think I'll ask to be moved to graduates at that point... I'd be either 21 or 17 dpo by then (depending on if something weird is up w/ my O date) and I think I would need to just bite the bullet and try to enjoy early pregnancy, even with all the ambiguities, because you never know how long a pregnancy will stick around. May as well enjoy the hell out of it if and when you can, right (like I said, above, to mkpgoddess)?

What do you all think?? What would you do? (besides get thyself to a dr. for a quant... I think I will hold out till next week for that because of the nuttiness of the holidays).

So, I make it till Friday w/out AF finding me.

#257 of 307 Old 12-22-2009, 11:47 AM

katharinerose - I'm sorry about all that is happening... Mom issues... arghhh..... Like you need that right now...

FtMPapa - Grrrrrrr about the insurance crap.... I HATE it when different people say different things about the same issue... different matter but same issue, with my car insurance last year, it took speaking to 6 different people to find out if something was insured or not, everyone had a difffrerent interpretation of the contract.... and they all worked for the insurance company ! I am really hoping that they stick to what they told the clinic to begin with in your case....... can the clinic help you with that ?

Lyndzies - Have you thought of going for a blood test ? I think I would... but I most definitely see a line and will be sending sticky vibes your way

As for us... nothing to report, we are still waiiiiiting....... the holidays and having time off work helps by making it go faster, but it sucks to think that we still have to wait until the end of january to even begin trying......

In the mean time, I wish every one of you

Merry Christmas and a happy new year... may we all get off this thread in the first months of 2010 !!!

Coco

Celebrating the arrival of our twins twins.gifCharlie & Chloe, born Jan 28th 2011 !

#258 of 307 Old 12-22-2009, 01:29 PM

Well, temp is back up-ish, but lines are super duper faint still. I have a call in to my doctor and I'm literally waiting by the phone for the nurse to call. Hopefully they won't give me grief over wanting a quant. HCG so soon. I'm all shaky though. :sigh

I'll keep you posted.

#259 of 307 Old 12-22-2009, 03:14 PM

lyndzies - i don't want to be a debbie downer but i don't see a line at all in your pictures. as for the nipple discharge, that can be a sign of some other hormonal issues - the one i'm thinking of specifically is elevated prolactin. i had slightly elevated prolactin when ttc our son. mine was managed with dostinex and the next cycle i got my bfp. one of the questions the re asked me was if i'd ever had nipple discharge - i had not.

fwiw, i was told that any kind of nipple discharge not associated with mid to late pregnancy should be brought to the attention of a doctor.

good luck!

g

my family - dp d heartbeat.gif, ds b biggrinbounce.gif (4), ds f thumbsuck.gif (2), dd a baby.gif (jan '12), ddog m dog2.gif
#260 of 307 Old 12-22-2009, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigoscot View Post
lyndzies - i don't want to be a debbie downer but i don't see a line at all in your pictures. as for the nipple discharge, that can be a sign of some other hormonal issues - the one i'm thinking of specifically is elevated prolactin. i had slightly elevated prolactin when ttc our son. mine was managed with dostinex and the next cycle i got my bfp. one of the questions the re asked me was if i'd ever had nipple discharge - i had not.

fwiw, i was told that any kind of nipple discharge not associated with mid to late pregnancy should be brought to the attention of a doctor.

good luck!

g
It's okay that you don't see it. It's very very faint IRL.

Yeah, I had thought of that (elevated prolactin). When you had it, was your AF also very late and your temps high?

Thanks so much for your feedback. I have decided I'll check in w/ my doc next week if I'm not getting more than these faint positives, and still high temps and no AF.

#261 of 307 Old 12-22-2009, 05:04 PM

Hi everyone! Can I join? I know it's late in December, but I'll be around the next few months threads too, I'm sure. You can put me in the Waiting to O category. I guess I was waiting until the January thread to join, but we just got registered at the sperm bank and they said to order no later than CD1 of the TTC cycle. Well, that's tomorrow for me!!! So, I just can't believe that we'll be ordering sperm for the first time ever tomorrow! I'm kinda freaking out!!!!!!!! I have no one to talk to about this IRL. DW isn't nervous at all. She's so ready. I'm ready, too. I'm just excitedly freaking out (and nervous)! My mom and boss both know that we're TTC soon but I don't know how much detail to give my mom while we're trying. I don't want the added pressure of having to answer all the constant questions.

Anyway, hi everyone!

Beth- WOHM slinggirl.gif  -Madly in love with my Wife- SAHMhola.gifandbabyf.gifSophia, born 11/2/10, at home! homebirth.jpgExpressing love, one ounce at a time!  1pump.gif

#262 of 307 Old 12-22-2009, 05:19 PM

lyndzies, at the time i was diagnosed with the prolactin issue my usual 28 day "like clockwork" cycle had changed into a 35-37 day cycle. i figured it was just the stress of ttc but the doc noticed that my reaction to 2.5mg of femara was poor and it took longer than she expected for my follicle to mature - and that despite the cycle starting off promising with three lead follicles. on the flip side, after 2 months on dostinex and on 5mg femara i produced 4 beautiful follicles and all 4 ruptured. the result is our awesome son!

the prolactin test is just a basic blood draw and the results come back pretty quickly. i hope that you really are pg though!! fx.

g

#263 of 307 Old 12-22-2009, 05:25 PM

Monarchgrrl - welcome, and congrats on the first sperm purchase! I hope you get wonderful beginners luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigoscot View Post
lyndzies, at the time i was diagnosed with the prolactin issue my usual 28 day "like clockwork" cycle had changed into a 35-37 day cycle. i figured it was just the stress of ttc but the doc noticed that my reaction to 2.5mg of femara was poor and it took longer than she expected for my follicle to mature - and that despite the cycle starting off promising with three lead follicles. on the flip side, after 2 months on dostinex and on 5mg femara i produced 4 beautiful follicles and all 4 ruptured. the result is our awesome son!
Interesting... thank you for the detailed info. Out of curiosity... did your doc say that the elevated prolacton was due to the fermera? (I'm not medicated, but I suppose any hormones could go out of whack for any reason). Lol.

I guess if I'm still in this situation next week, when I'm planning on asking for a beta quant, I'll ask them to check prolactin levels, too. (we are currently TTC completely doctor and intervention-free right now, BTW and FWIW, but I won't be opposed to drugs if this "trying" crap goes on for 12 months... or if the doc determines that some whacky hormone level could be preventing me from hanging on to a bean). Thanks again!

#264 of 307 Old 12-22-2009, 05:38 PM

Can I please borrow ya'll's doctors??

So, first round, the nurse calls to let me know they have a pee test waiting for me at the lab. Um. I don't need a pee test, I have an entire drawer full in my bathroom, including digi's, which also told me I was pregnant. I'm pregnant today and I already get that. I need to know if I'm going to stay that way for the any length of time. So, I asked about a quant. beta and she says, "well, can you tell me why you would need that?" and I mumbled something about miscarrying to which she said, "well, there's protocol that we have to follow, but if you insist on this test, I have to wait for the doctor to get in because she has to order it. She won't be in until this afternoon, so we'll call you when it's been ordered."

So I'm still waiting.

Monarchgrrl - WELCOME, WELCOME!!!!!! YAY, so glad to see you over here!!

Katharinerose - argh!! I'm so sorry!!!

#265 of 307 Old 12-22-2009, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Can I please borrow ya'll's doctors??

So, first round, the nurse calls to let me know they have a pee test waiting for me at the lab. Um. I don't need a pee test, I have an entire drawer full in my bathroom, including digi's, which also told me I was pregnant. I'm pregnant today and I already get that. I need to know if I'm going to stay that way for the any length of time. So, I asked about a quant. beta and she says, "well, can you tell me why you would need that?" and I mumbled something about miscarrying to which she said, "well, there's protocol that we have to follow, but if you insist on this test, I have to wait for the doctor to get in because she has to order it. She won't be in until this afternoon, so we'll call you when it's been ordered."

So I'm still waiting.

Monarchgrrl - WELCOME, WELCOME!!!!!! YAY, so glad to see you over here!!

Katharinerose - argh!! I'm so sorry!!!
Good grief! Is there another Dr. there who could order the lab for you? Craziness, I tell you. Why the heck shouldn't you want/need a beta?

Megan-39, Postpartum Doula, DW to Sacha-40 (18 years together) and Mama to Finn Alexander born 4/2/07 and Zivia Littlewood born 8/23/10

#266 of 307 Old 12-22-2009, 06:03 PM

Apparently because they aren't used to women who know what is going on so intensely. They're used to women who want to know "yes" or "no", end of story. My insurance is Kaiser, so sadly no...there isn't another one who would do anything any differently...sigh.

#267 of 307 Old 12-22-2009, 06:49 PM

ARgh, MPK, I'm sorry about Kaiser. We tried to conceive our little one there for 8 months and boy was it a lesson in patience and perseverance! (Made slightly more worth it because of the $25 inseminations). Hang in there and I hope you get a beta ordered soon!

Lyndzies, your chart looks great! Hang in there. My fingers are crossed for you.

And boy do I understand this "trying for 12 months" thing. We had an hour and a half long consult with my RE last night. She's both lovely, brilliant and totally dour. I have to say I got tired of hearing about my "advanced maternal age" of 35. I swear when I lived in CA that's when everyone got pregnant. Here in CO I watch 25 year olds in Costco with their 20 offspring. Sigh.

Anyway, we've decided to rerun my day 3 labs w/special attention to the antmullerian hormone. If it's still within the low-normal range we'll plan on IVF in the Spring. Hopefully my one good ovary will respond well to the gonadotropins (they're putting me on the most aggressive protocol - eek) or else my partner will (reluctantly) try again. We are also considering me carrying one of her eggs if it comes to that. Sigh.

Meanwhile 2 of the 3 other couples from our queer parenting group just announced they were preggers for the second time. At least our ability to bring fertility to others has continued unabated during this round of TTC (when we were TTC our son, all of our friends were getting pregnant on their first try!).

On the upside I am loving my caffeine, some good red wine and 10 mile runs. There are upsides to taking a break!

Professional nerd, DP to Megan and mommy to 3 y/o Bam Bam . TTC since January '09.  Welcomed our new babes May 22, 2011. Now living life in the NICU one day at a time.
#268 of 307 Old 12-22-2009, 09:19 PM

lyndzies, actually no, the femara wasn't the reason. the clinic we used to get me pregnant tested my prolactin, noted it was "slightly elevated" and claimed it was ok for me to start trying but that we should test it again in 3 months time. due to another supposed issue i was referred to an re. she looked at my bloodwork and said to call her if my prolactin was elevated again. after our first failed try the clinic had forgotten but not me! it was tested again and was higher than the first result. i asked them about meds and the said oh no, no need let's try again. that's when i put my foot down and told them i was contacting the re. she called in an rx and said to go on break for 1-2 months and test it again. the clinic doc wasn't happy but what was she going to do? lol.

g

#269 of 307 Old 12-22-2009, 09:42 PM

MPKgoddess: Did you get it???? If you're getting a quant HCG, are you getting progesterone, too?

Yeah, it's not typical that they order it for people who don't have a history of infertility, and the doc does need to order it.

I love how they invite you in for a urine test, like it will be so much more conclusive because it's in a doctor's office. Though, I have to admit, I've considered going for the test to save myself the $$$, when my (former) obgyn suggested I could bring in my OPKs for her interpretation if I wanted help with timing my inseminations, I was like "Uh, I can see a line at home, and besides, that's what the internets are for. What I really want is an ultrasound...."

CJ - don't let them get to you. I find the most specialists have zero bedside manner and they can say the most insensitive things. Just let it wash over you, and take them up on the most aggressive protocol (which one is that??? I want that one! I'm on the long protocol, but my doc wanted to do the quick 'n easy, short protocol originally, but I needed to buy myself some time for insurance and travel over the holidays, hence the long protocol.)

One thing that is hard to keep in mind with IVF at the big clinics is that you'll barely talk to the RE, you'll talk to the nurses a lot more often.

I haven't talked to mine since my initial consult, about seven weeks ago, and I don't think I'll talk to him again until egg retrieval, and I'll be drugged for that.

My update is that I talked to the insurance again this afternoon...what a mess.

It turns out that the claims people at the Student Insurance have no idea how to interpret infertility testing. My doc wrote up a report where he says Day 3 labs - normal, semen analysis - normal, results of hsg - normal, etc. All normal. But they wanted to see the actual labs, so my doc's office sent over most of them. But then they called back because it seemed like they didn't understand how to interpret the labs or the cycle monitoring sheets.

The insurance people are maybe sort of promising me an answer by the end of the week, so I'm hopeful. They are considering whetehr they're paying for the IVF itself, and also whether they're paying for the drugs.

Ideally, they'll decide to pay for both. At this point, I'll settle for where I thought we were a week ago - where they were paying for the IVF but I was on the hook for $3K worth of drugs and would have to pay out of pocket for any medication I might need in the next year. We will ignore the part where that is about 25% of my annual salary.

I called the insurance coordination office at my university, again. Everyone is on vacation, the only person available was completely useless. She started to tell me that she didn't think we have infertility coverage, because our insurance is to treat illness, not to do unnecessary procedures. I think I said "I'm going to stop you right there before you say something that you'll regret later." and basically gave her a lecture about how infertility is a real illness and it's MA state law that insurers cover it.

I still have a headache, it's been an all-day just slightly sub-migrainelike brain ache, the result of talking to too many stupid people on the phone all day.

I'll keep y'all updated as I can, but I'm likely to be mostly offline for the rest of the week.

SPBC Finally a Papa! Elise Ember Soleil - 10/3/10 - 4:09 AM - 6 lbs 8 oz My daughter eats donor milk! Human milk for human babies!
#270 of 307 Old 12-22-2009, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter

Hi everyone! Sorry for neglecting the thread, I'm trying to pack in work before taking time off for Christmas. My... fun... supervisor thinks that missing work for holidays is a good recipe for extra work ahead of time.. oh, and extra work when you get back!

Monarchgirl, Welcome over here! Great to see you!

To everyone else: remember to take the time to love on yourself over the long weekend! I'm reminded of a meditation that H and I listen to that says that the heart is a strong and capable muscle because it lavishes itself with the good fresh blood first! Take care of yourselves first so that you can continue to care for others (as I know we all do!).

K, H, and baby E (who is now three!!!)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page