Queer & Pregnant: Dec '09, Jan & Feb '10 - Page 14 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#391 of 402 Old 02-27-2010, 05:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexbeach View Post
This is one thing that I find myself telling pregnant people all the time. It's NEVER to late to switch care providers for any reason.
Precisely. I get asked a LOT of pregnancy questions IRL since I was a doula before I got FMS, I'm a total midwife wannabe and have a placenta encapsulation business, so everyone who knows me knows I'm the one to ask about pregnancy/postpartum and pregnancy-related care, and it sure happens often.

Ooooh, so guess what!! We totally all went to a gender workshop with Kate Bornstein last night!!!!! It was so awesome! Had to leave early b/c Serafina was getting impatient though. It was totally past her bedtime. I'm so happy for Sonja too... she got to have lunch and shoot the shit with KB yesterday with the Rainbow board she works on. Her friend totally outed our transgender kid to Kate though, and Sonja felt kind of weird about that because another guest there started asking weird questions. We're also going to the Gender Fair Extravaganza tonight! Should be lots of fun.

placenta.gifeat.gif I'm a queer / trans-activist / poly / pagan / (dis)abled  / crazy / crunchy partner to fsonj; we're mamas to our unschooled/freeskooled 10yo, and co-breastfeed our sprightly toddler love.gif born Nov '10! (Ask me about how to supplement at the breast!)

#392 of 402 Old 02-27-2010, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by erthe_mama View Post
Can I be added please? Our EDD is November 4th, 2010!

Nothing to report yet, though Sonja has been having odd "vurps" lately... She also called our (queer) midwife to report our pregnancy today!
sorry for the delay. we just moved this week and have been without internet until i could get it figured out. i will add you now. congrats!

papa: i am glad you had a good expereince. i wonder if it was with my fav?? we just had an appointment with her on friday and was reminded about how i hope she is on call when i'm in labor.

Me, DW , and DS born 7/6/10
#393 of 402 Old 02-27-2010, 10:31 PM - Thread Starter

i haven't received any messages about older information on this thread. when i post the new thread for march, i am going to remove the old stuff. please don't be offended if i remove you and you would like your birth to be added on the list. i am happy to update but seems silly to keep anticipated births from october!!??

Me, DW , and DS born 7/6/10
#394 of 402 Old 02-27-2010, 10:42 PM

I just wanted to update and say I *think* I may be feeling this baby move. For the past week I've been having lots of "is that baby?" feelings which I definitely wasn't having before. So, I'm guessing it probably is even though it's really light and I'm not 100% sure. I'm so excited to feel this baby and sure hope that's what I'm feeling!

Megan-39, Postpartum Doula, DW to Sacha-40 (18 years together) and Mama to Finn Alexander born 4/2/07 and Zivia Littlewood born 8/23/10

#395 of 402 Old 02-28-2010, 12:36 AM

Amandamom - Thanks

Erthemama - Welcome!

FTMpapa - yes the socks are gone - but there's a cute new crop with skulls and cross bones and other cutsie prints that I'm going to have to look into I'm glad to hear the socks are so lucky!

ktcl - nice to hear from you I too find that yoga helps ease the discomforts that are popping up - but still, somehow it's tough to get motivated to get out the door!

megansacha - such an amazing feeling! I had a few weeks of "is that what I think it is?" until one day I sneezed and the baby was startled and flailed around and there was no doubt about it. I love love love the feeling - so much that I barely mind that the baby's favorite time to do the mambo is when I'm trying to fall asleep.

AFU - we just had our latest ultrasound the the baby's size was estimated in the 49th percentile! Yay for average! My sister finally got to feel the usually shy bugger kick for the first time and our baby shower is less than a month away!

Still madly in stillheart.gif with jb after 10 years and chasing after my precocious toddler jog.gif    

***joy.gif***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***40    computergeek2.gif westphillymama.com

#396 of 402 Old 02-28-2010, 02:17 AM

I only want to talk socks, sorry dudes.

PF - I got some at Target the other day that were yellow goldfish on dark blue socks and some that were midnight navy with mauve dragonflies on them, and they were like $2.50/pair. I am very excited about them!

Actually, I want to talk clothes, too. I have an ex who recently lost a lot of weight and gave me some pants four inches bigger than my pre-preggo size, and some suspenders, and a pile of XXXL shirts, all short sleeves, so I feel like I got a whole new wardrobe! Actually, I think I now have more clothes that fit and that I like than I've had in the past two years. VERY exciting.

My plan is to wear my pants ultra low and let my big belly hang out in some gigantic shirts and wear suspenders to keep my pants up.

And awesome socks, so there.

SPBC Finally a Papa! Elise Ember Soleil - 10/3/10 - 4:09 AM - 6 lbs 8 oz My daughter eats donor milk! Human milk for human babies!
#397 of 402 Old 02-28-2010, 01:41 PM

pleasantlyfurious- your baby belly is SO cute!

Papa- I agree with the sentiment of following your gut. Sometimes we intuitively know what we need even if our conscious minds don't know why. If your gut changes its mind later then... go with that I guess.

AFM- I've been planning a homebirth since before we even conceived this babe, but because we live in the middle of nowhere, the nearest midwife is 4 hours away. Yes, 4 hours. She is actually willing to come all the way to us to attend our birth. I do not see this as a problem and I'm very confident about birthing even if she arrives after the baby. However, lately I had been having some doubts/concerns/anxieties about how I felt about her being our care provider. Most of that hinged on the fact that she seems so absent minded at times, forgetting things that feel significant to me about my pregnancy. (For example, I was terribly anemic for a while and it was making me feel so sick and weak that I could not stand more than a couple minutes without feeling like I would faint. I couldn't grocery shop, couldn't stand next to the stove to cook, etc. It was MISERABLE. But in our last phone conversation when I mentioned how much better my iron levels were and how much better I felt, she said, "Well, but you weren't feeling tired or sick when your iron was lower, right?" ) That night I had a really hard time sleeping and I was thinking a lot about what was important to me about my birth experience- should I plan on a hospital birth with the OB I am seeing for parallel care? Should we have an unassisted home birth? Although I support UCers, I had come to the conclusion that for this birth I wanted to have someone available in case we wanted or needed them. I also do not feel that my birth belongs in a hospital at this point, as everything has been normal and healthy and I just truly do not trust most of the hospital staff here. Plus having my sacred space is VERY important to me. Anyway, I asked the universe for a sign and lo and behold, I got it! That night I had a dream about a beautiful birth. During my birthing time DW and I were actually at the midwife's house. We were talking to her, but most of the time she left us alone. When it was time for the baby to come, I went into her bathroom by myself and very peacefully pushed out a beautiful red-haired baby. I took this dream to mean that we should continue our plans to have our midwife present, but to allow for plenty of space. We are thinking that we will get her and her assistant a hotel room and when they get into town they can check in with us and if we are ready for them then they can stay, otherwise they can chill at the hotel or wherever in town until we call them and are ready. That way we can have privacy if we desire, but they are available to us if we need or want them to be at our home. I also like the idea of possibly waiting until the baby is born before they come- I will have to run that by her. Anyway, I've felt much more at peace now about everything... what a relief!

Sorry to post such a long story, just realized I wrote a novel, haha.

Me: 27, DW: 31, Mamas to G: 5-17-10 luxlove.gif

My sweet surro-babe was born on 6-27-12 coolshine.gif

#398 of 402 Old 02-28-2010, 03:21 PM

jjnoho: No problem. And thanks! Also, I'm totally there with you on deleting the really old stuff. I'd do the same.

KSDoulaMama: Sounds like a really good sign to me. I'd probably do the same in your shoes.

FtMPapa: Yay for new socks and clothes! It must feel good knowing that you have some things to get you through at least part of your pregnancy.

pleasantlyfurious: Thanks for the welcome! I hope your baby shower is awesome.

megan sacha Yay! That's such a neat feeling! When I was pregnant with DD, the first time I felt her move was in the hospital when I went to visit my cousin when she had her baby. (Two of my cousins and I all had our first LOs a few months apart from each other. Weird, hey? We're not even very close!)

Afm: DP is doing really well, but has the same "full" feeling that I had during my pregnancy that is kind of like our version of morning sickness it seems... And when she does eat, she "vurps" sometimes. Bleh. Plus her breasts are tender and her nipples are VERY sore! I'm not allowed to touch them anymore, which is super hard to remember sometimes. She had lots of fun dancing last night at the Gender Extravaganza afterparty though!!

TMI ALERT: When we fooled around yesterday, I found some chunky white stuff in DP's vagina that seemed like cervical mucous, but we're not sure. It didn't smell like yeast (DP gets them about once every few months, so we can usually tell), but we're thinking of putting some yoghourt in there just in case it's the beginnings of one. Any thoughts?

placenta.gifeat.gif I'm a queer / trans-activist / poly / pagan / (dis)abled  / crazy / crunchy partner to fsonj; we're mamas to our unschooled/freeskooled 10yo, and co-breastfeed our sprightly toddler love.gif born Nov '10! (Ask me about how to supplement at the breast!)

#399 of 402 Old 02-28-2010, 04:37 PM

For the sock-obsessed, I would like to note that we made lots of cute legwarmers for our DD by buying colorful socks from Target (the ones in 3 or 4 packs in the women's section) and cutting the feet off. Just like babylegs, only cuter and cheaper!

A, partner to J, mama to O, now with a new username!

Building queer family since 2008!

(and oh, did i mention we're having twins?!?)

#400 of 402 Old 03-01-2010, 06:51 PM

Hi all! Just wanted to run by and say how happy I am today!!! We interviewed another homebirth midwife today and she's the ONE! We absolutely love her and made the decision to hire her when she went to the bathroom. We just looked at eachother and said "Yep. Done. No need to discuss" I thought for sure that DW would want to discuss it in detail first. She's lesbian and answered all of our questions exactly how we wanted. Her energy was amazing and we felt like it was a good match right away. We hired her on the spot and meet again in the next two weeks! YAY! She does all prenatals at your house and does them every 3 weeks until the last month, then it's weekly. She was thrilled that we have Kaiser insurance because it will be super easy to get the labs and/or ultrasound done for free and she said that the hospital we would have to transfer to (if we had to) is really good and she's worked with them plenty. I'm just so happy and relieved to find someone that seems like a perfect fit!!!

Beth- WOHM slinggirl.gif  -Madly in love with my Wife- SAHMhola.gifandbabyf.gifSophia, born 11/2/10, at home! homebirth.jpgExpressing love, one ounce at a time!  1pump.gif

#401 of 402 Old 03-01-2010, 07:04 PM

Yay!! She sounds like a great midwife! I've only met ours once before in a non-midwife way, but she seems cool. She's just back from parental leave after her partner gave birth a while ago.

#402 of 402 Old 03-10-2010, 07:34 PM

::

Where is everyone? Probably busy like me. But, I miss you all so wanted to check in.

I'm at 16 weeks today and can hardly believe how fast this pregnancy is going. Baby's heartbeat sounds strong and healthy and I'm measuring right on track. Our big ultrasound is 3/29 which will be here before we know it. I'm really looking forward to it, without all the anxiety I had before the one at 11 weeks. I've been nesting kind of like crazy. Not total, but I've been cleaning out closets, rearranging furniture and wanting to pull out baby stuff from the attic before I'm too big to climb the ladder. Now that my anxiety is gone, I'm feeling the countdown to baby and there's so much to do.

I'm also starting to be excited to buy things for this baby. We don't need much being number 2 but had/have some things we want/need. We picked up a whole bunch of used fitted diapers that I'm really excited about. With DS we had pretty much had only prefolds for the first year. So, these will be fun!

This week we are getting DS a "big boy bed". He still sleeps in our bed and we won't push him out but we'd like him to have a bed he can sleep in when he decides he's ready. In the meantime, it'll be a fun place to play since it's a loft bed and then there will be room to play under it. I think we'll get a curtain so he can hide in there and have alone time if needed once the new baby comes. And, my mom may stay with us for a few weeks after the baby is born so she'll have a bed to sleep in!

Still feel like I'm feeling the baby move but it's still a pretty rare occurrence. Looking forward to it being stronger and regular.

How is everyone else?

Megan-39, Postpartum Doula, DW to Sacha-40 (18 years together) and Mama to Finn Alexander born 4/2/07 and Zivia Littlewood born 8/23/10

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page