Queer & Pregnant: Dec '09, Jan & Feb '10 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 402 Old 12-20-2009, 09:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by indigoscot View Post
megan, so HAPPY to see you over here!!!!! i bet finn will be the best big brother.

g
I think he will!

Megan-39, Postpartum Doula, DW to Sacha-40 (18 years together) and Mama to Finn Alexander born 4/2/07 and Zivia Littlewood born 8/23/10

#62 of 402 Old 12-21-2009, 03:13 PM

Congrats, Megan! I've been following along with the TTC thread - welcome to this thread!!

Yay for the healthy u/s, pf We also chose not to find out the sex - it's getting REALLY exciting now with the anticipation of finding out so I'm glad we didn't!

Afm, we had a solstice party on Saturday night at our place which kinda wiped me out but I actually slept really deeply after so that was a nice benefit! Our doula came by yesterday and we discussed some labor techniques/positions and talked more about how things "might go down" when labour hits. Both her and the m/w seem to think I'll be early or right on time. I sort of believe them (like your dp, indigo, I have also predicted a due date - Jan. 1) but then I think we are all just being positive that things won't go too late lol I'm still having intense pressure on my cervix at times and cramping/braxton hicks every day. I know that can go on for weeks though....so, we'll see!

I finally finished up my last day in the office on Friday and other than a few small things in the next couple of days that I can do from home, I'm pretty much done work!

Oh, for those of you who've done this before - I had some foot swelling in the summer but since then I haven't really had any swelling. However, the last 2 days I've had foot AND hand swelling - the hand swelling freaks me out a bit. I see my m/w on Wednesday again but thought I'd check with you all to see if anyone else experienced it. I haven't had any bp issues at all.

Me joy.gif, DP treehugger.gif, S bikenew.gif and L babyboy.gif
#63 of 402 Old 12-21-2009, 10:33 PM

carmen, i had hand and foot swelling at the end too. my bp was always fine and i had no other signs or symptoms of pre-e. my massage therapist worked on them during massage and reminded me to drink a lot of water - seems counter-productive when everything is swelling, but it helped. also, as much as possible keep your feet/legs elevated. now that you are off work, that should be somewhat easier. i hope that helps!

fwiw, jan 1 is my dp's prediction too! how funny is that? let's see if either of us is actually right, eh?

anyone heard from kjm recently?

g

my family - dp d heartbeat.gif, ds b biggrinbounce.gif (4), ds f thumbsuck.gif (2), dd a baby.gif (jan '12), ddog m dog2.gif
#64 of 402 Old 12-21-2009, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigoscot View Post
carmen, i had hand and foot swelling at the end too. my bp was always fine and i had no other signs or symptoms of pre-e. my massage therapist worked on them during massage and reminded me to drink a lot of water - seems counter-productive when everything is swelling, but it helped. also, as much as possible keep your feet/legs elevated. now that you are off work, that should be somewhat easier. i hope that helps!

fwiw, jan 1 is my dp's prediction too! how funny is that? let's see if either of us is actually right, eh?

anyone heard from kjm recently?

g
Oh good, it's encouraging to hear that others have had swelling without more serious complications. And thanks for the water reminder - I do know that but it's always good to get reminded (again and again )

I was wondering about her as well...kjm, how're ya going?

#65 of 402 Old 12-22-2009, 12:51 PM

g- I was on-call when I went into labor (2.5 weeks early). It was pretty easy to get coverage!

Carmen- I was all sorts of swollen at the end. And be prepared, the swelling actually gets worse after you have the baby. I think it took 1-2 weeks to go down for me. I was not ready for that.

Megan and Sacha- Welcome and congrats!!! We've had similar journeys. DS took 2.5 years and this one happened on the first try!

Eryn, wife to Amy, Mum to Eli, b. 1/9/08 and Willow, b. 5/29/10
#66 of 402 Old 12-22-2009, 03:01 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmen358 View Post
Oh, for those of you who've done this before - I had some foot swelling in the summer but since then I haven't really had any swelling. However, the last 2 days I've had foot AND hand swelling - the hand swelling freaks me out a bit. I see my m/w on Wednesday again but thought I'd check with you all to see if anyone else experienced it. I haven't had any bp issues at all.
Hi Carmen ... you're getting sooo close! I thought I'd pop in and mention my swelling. I had severe swelling starting at about 36 weeks, and then my BP started to creep up (pre-e) and I had a natural induction and delivered at 38 weeks. I still had the swelling (decreased slowly) for about 2 weeks after. I kept my feet elevated, and accepted as many foot massages as were offered and begged for a few more. Lots of hot baths with epson salts too. You'll find you have to pee a lot, because your body is dumping the fluids.
I hope the pre-e stays away for you!
Take care, hon!

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#67 of 402 Old 12-23-2009, 09:49 AM
kjm

hey y'all I'm here...still very pregnant! HA!!! Between fighting this cold and trying to wrap stuff up at work I am wiped out!! Not to mention the ocean of phone calls and emails of "so...how's it going??" I know everyone is excited and trying to be supportive, but I feel like EVERY question is loaded. I want to scream from the rooftops "I have NOTHING to report!!! and when I do you will know!!!" My friend shared this link with me
http://www.haveyouhadthatbabyyet.com/

Yesterday was my last day at the office and today will be my last day teaching in schools--it is soo fricken weird to think that after all the years of trying and all my co-workers loving support through this process, that the next time I see them I'll be a mama--its really surreal!!

My ma is still putting pressure on me to drive 2 hours (each way) to my Aunt's house on Xmas--but DP and I are digging in our heels. Though I'm not having any pre-labor signs, it still feels like I should be closer to home. I hope I don't feel sad the day of...but I guess if I do I could decide to make the drive?

As for swelling--I have the bp of a teenager, but I have had crazy swelling throughout! I have mastered the art of "tree trunk legs". Elevating has never really done anything for me (and has even made it worse at times). The things that have worked with me is to double my water intake, take lots of epsolm salt baths, and walking. If you aren't able to get out for a substantial walk, even pacing around your house or yard for 5 mins every hour or two keeps the fluid pumping back up.

Acupuncture has also helped with swelling. There is a point on the ankle. I can ask DP how to locate it if anyone is interested?
Oh yeah, did I tell you that acupuncture got my posterior babe to roll over?? Well actually moxabustion. We used it to turn the breeched babe AND get 'em to roll over. We will begin the "preparing for birth" protocol AFTER Friday as sooo many people with X-Mas bdays have told me they wouldn't wish it on anyone!!

As for due date predictions I'm still thinking the 6th or 7th for me, as dreadful as that seems right now--But secretly I'm still hoping for NYE, because I REALLY want to have a baby "once in a blue moon"

welcome and congrats megan!!!

11/24/08 SMBC with a loving LTR DP in a Queer & Poly relationshiploving my new baby Kale Cqolbi Justice!!!!!
#68 of 402 Old 12-23-2009, 02:43 PM

Thanks for the info on swelling everyone. I'm keeping an eye on it and will see my m/w today. I am getting weekly acupuncture and trying to keep my water intake up. It's odd because walking around seems to make it worse in the evenings. Oh well - dealing with it and hopefully it doesn't get worse.

And thanks for the update, kjm. Glad to hear you are doing well still and that baby is getting into position

DP and I started watching Birth As We Know It last night - our doula lent it to us. We only watched about 20 minutes of it but it's really beautiful so far. I now have images of wandering down to the pacific ocean with 20 other pregnant women to give "communal birth." lol

#69 of 402 Old 12-24-2009, 12:21 AM

we had an ob appt this morning. dp had already seen her endo and her tsh #s are still on track. she has to see him 6-8 weeks post-partum to make sure they are ok. anyways, dp's iron levels are good, her bp is excellent and her uterus is measuring on track. she was swabbed for gbs - we'll get the results next appt. her weight went up SIX(!!)lbs over the last 2 weeks. it had been holding steady at 3lbs every 2 weeks. ob asked if she'd had any bh and well, only a few here and there. we do have confirmation that he is head down, woohoo! ob doesn't think he is making an appearance any time soon though - so most likely a 2010 baby for us.

my co-worker and his wife who were 1.5 weeks ahead of us had their son last night! he was a very respectible 6lbs 13oz and mom and baby are doing great. dp's good friend in ny due 4 days ahead of us is already 80% effaced and her doc thinks 7-10 days and baby will arrive. lol, you know that means we'll be the ones overdue, right?

g

my family - dp d heartbeat.gif, ds b biggrinbounce.gif (4), ds f thumbsuck.gif (2), dd a baby.gif (jan '12), ddog m dog2.gif
#70 of 402 Old 12-27-2009, 09:46 AM
kjm

I hear ya indigo!! 3 babies around me were born in the past week--when is it my turn? Maybe soon? MW confirmed yesterday head is fully engaged, chin is tucked, baby is anterior--we are ready to go. I had lots of BHs yesterday it felt like my uterus was tight 75% of the day and night with lots of downward pressure coming from the top of the uterus!! This morning I am completely nauseous and have the ominous diarrhea. My body is definitely cleansing itself---eeek!! Off to get a few last minute things I need for my homebirth that I've been putting off. I'm not feeling like "this is it" but it does feel right around the corner--here's to hoping!!!

11/24/08 SMBC with a loving LTR DP in a Queer & Poly relationshiploving my new baby Kale Cqolbi Justice!!!!!
#71 of 402 Old 12-27-2009, 02:42 PM

oooh kjm!! that does sound promising!!!! fx that things will continue to progress.

my dp's belly has really increased in size over the last few days! her belly button is almost completely gone and she is so tired all the time now. we really need to get the hospital bag ready, lol!! it's funny this time around we are so much less organized! i guess running around after a 2yo changes things a little.

g

#72 of 402 Old 12-27-2009, 03:14 PM

Hi all,

I'm cautiously coming over with #2 due 9/2/9010. We got lucky on our first try too and it all feels sort of surreal.

I had GD with our first in the 3rd tri and my numbers are already a little iffy. I have my first appt with a midwife on the 5th and am terrified that she won't take me on due to possibly/probably having GD so early on. I do NOT want to go the doctor/hospital route again, but if she doesn't take me, I will probably have to. There are other midwives, but we're hoping for a birth center birth.

Symptom-wise, not a whole lot going on. I was in full-blown nausea and vomiting, begging for Zofran by now with DD, but other than sore boobs and exhaustion, not much is happening. I'm sure it's coming...LOL!

I've been following your stories...

KJM - you sound close! Have you/Are you choosing to use evening primrose oil to get your cervix going?

Indigoscot - lol! I have a feeling that I'm going to spend most of this pregnancy feeling a little scattered. DD is 3 and will be almost four by the time this one shows up. Make lists!!!

Carmen - what did the midwife say about the swelling?

Megan - how are you???

Hope all is well,

Samantha

Samantha, married to Holly for over five years . DD #1 born 12/13/06 , DD #2 born 8/18/10 and 2 furballs of indeterminate age.
#73 of 402 Old 12-27-2009, 06:24 PM

As of December 23rd I am no longer pregnant! 40-something hours of labour, some scary moments with the heart monitor, pretty much every intervention except a c-section, and we finally have Simon! He's a big boy - 9lb 6oz - and he eats *constantly*! I can't wait until my milk comes in - I might have a chance of filliing him up then!

The incredibly true adventures of two girls in love. Also starring DS babyf.gif12/09 and dog2.gif!

#74 of 402 Old 12-27-2009, 06:30 PM

Kelmendi - CONGRATULATIONS!!! And welcome little Simon!!

Still madly in stillheart.gif with jb after 10 years and chasing after my precocious toddler jog.gif    

***joy.gif***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***40    computergeek2.gif westphillymama.com

#75 of 402 Old 12-27-2009, 06:58 PM

Congratulations, Kelmendi!! Welcome to (not-so-)little Simon!!

#76 of 402 Old 12-27-2009, 07:07 PM

Congratulations, mkpgoddess! First time lucky! Exciting

Midwife said the swelling was nothing to worry about...completely normal, my BP is still fine and no other indicators of pre-e. She told me to take it easy, keep my feet up, get massages, drink water. Everything I already knew but forget to do these days. I have another appointment tomorrow.

indigo, hopefully you won't have to go too overdue!! Maybe it will be more of a quick jump into labour rather than several weeks of easing into it. Which actually sounds kinda nice.

kjm, wow, it sounds like you are suddenly all ready to go!!

Nothing too new with me. BH and several mild contractions a day. LOTS of cervical pressure and just downward pressure in general. Sometimes really intense. I have no idea if the contractions are doing anything. I may ask (I've never been offered one) for a cervical check in the next couple of weeks just to satisfy my curiosity lol

Btw, is anyone else as FULL of christmas food as I am?? I felt like I was going to burst yesterday after 3 days of indulging....

#77 of 402 Old 12-27-2009, 08:13 PM

congrats samantha!!! i hope your nausea stays away - my dp has been on zofran since about 9 weeks!

congrats kelmendi on the birth of simon!! wow, he's a BIG boy! enjoy your babymoon.

g

#78 of 402 Old 12-27-2009, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter

congratulations to kelmendi on your son and samantha on your first time luck!

Me, DW , and DS born 7/6/10
#79 of 402 Old 12-28-2009, 03:12 AM

Kelmendi, congrats on the birth of big boy Simon after a long hard labor. I'm glad you were able to avoid a c-section.

Samantha, it's so nice to see you over here! I somehow missed that you got pg on the first try too...wow! We have a lot in common between that and the 3 yr olds we'll have when #2 arrives. Finn will be nearly 3.5.

AFM, I'm doing a lot of laying on the couch as I've had a nasty flu (we suspect H1N1) since Christmas eve. DW got it first, despite being the only person in the family having gotten both flu shots. Then I got it and then DS. DS has barely gotten sick, just one night of fever and a small amount of coughing. I think that must be chalked up to the fact that he's still breastfeeding. But, I've gotten the sickest. It was a little scary Christmas night when my fever was hovering around 102. I had to up my tylenol to keep it down to protect the babe. Luckily the worst seems over but I still pretty much have to lay on the couch all day with total exhaustion and have a lot of gunk in my lungs still with a horrid dry cough.

So, other than sore boobs and increased hunger in spite of the flu, I'm not feeling hugely pregnant....just sick. I'm hoping I'll be able to recover and feel ok for a while before any serious m/s kicks in, but I may not get that lucky. Not sure when I will have shaken this off entirely, I think it's going to be a slow process.

Megan-39, Postpartum Doula, DW to Sacha-40 (18 years together) and Mama to Finn Alexander born 4/2/07 and Zivia Littlewood born 8/23/10

#80 of 402 Old 12-28-2009, 08:35 AM
kjm

Welcome Simon!! Happy Babymoon Kelmendi

samantha--glad to have you join us

megan, ugghh sounds like you've gotten through the scariest parts, but it sounds awful. Take care and feel better!!

carmen--I really wanted a cervical check LAST WEEK--my midwife practically laughed me out of the office! It was embarrassing! "At 38 weeks?!" she exclaimed as I blushed. I knew it wasn't going to give me ANY useful info, but I was curious. She really encouraged me to wait. She explained that if she started checking so early I would keep wanting her to check and it would most likely lead to spotting, increased discharge AND false labor pains---None of which would be real signs, but they would make me feel like something was happening when it wasn't. She said she would check me "if that was really what I wanted" but after that explanation I declined!!

#81 of 402 Old 12-28-2009, 09:53 AM

re: cervical checks - our ob doesn't check at all until you are past due date. most everyone else we know had checks before that. we're glad ours isn't like that! she knows our baby is measuring 1-2 weeks ahead but isn't concerned or rushing to schedule an induction. she was the same with me and i delivered at 39+3.

also, since i had several once at the hospital to deliver, they HURT. and if your cervix is playing hard to get, it's even worse!! my advice is not to get one unless you need it.

g

#82 of 402 Old 12-28-2009, 01:23 PM

Thanks, guys for the welcome. Hopefully, after my appt 5th I'll feel a little more confident about this pregnancy. I keep spotting on and off, which I did with DD too, but it was over by now with her, so I can't help but worry.

Megan - jeez, how awful! I really hope everything is okay and you continue to get better!!! How awesome that we can be preggo buddies despite being a week apart (different DDC's). Chances are though, I will deliver around your due date as I went early with DD.

indigoscot - your DP has been on Zofran for most of her pregnancy?? Oh bless her...

Carmen - sounds like you are running out of room! LOL! At that point with DD, I could feel her flexing her toes against my stomach. Weird, slightly nauseating, and taking up whatever room I had left...heheh.

Kelmendi - WHOO HOO!!!! Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Samantha, married to Holly for over five years . DD #1 born 12/13/06 , DD #2 born 8/18/10 and 2 furballs of indeterminate age.
#83 of 402 Old 12-29-2009, 10:34 PM

Thank you, everyone, for the good wishes!

The incredibly true adventures of two girls in love. Also starring DS babyf.gif12/09 and dog2.gif!

#84 of 402 Old 12-30-2009, 01:22 PM

Well, I don't think I'll be getting a cervical check at my m/w appointment today....my water broke about 2 hours ago!! I've called my doula and will call the m/w soon. Fluid was clear and no real contractions happening so we're going to try and go back to sleep to rest up!!

Feel free to send good vibes

#85 of 402 Old 12-30-2009, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Well, I don't think I'll be getting a cervical check at my m/w appointment today....my water broke about 2 hours ago!! I've called my doula and will call the m/w soon. Fluid was clear and no real contractions happening so we're going to try and go back to sleep to rest up!!

Whooo hoooo, sending you strong but tolerable contraction vibes to get that baby out!

#86 of 402 Old 12-30-2009, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
many good vibes on their way to you!!!

very exciting!! wishing you a healthy delivery!

Me, DW , and DS born 7/6/10
#87 of 402 Old 12-30-2009, 02:45 PM

ooh how exciting carmen! sending you lots of calming vibes and good energy for an easy labour and delivery.

keep us posted as you can.

we had our weekly ob appt this morning - dp gained another 5lbs since last week, making the last 3 weeks an impressive 11lb weight gain! it appears to all be going to her belly, lol! her blood pressure is great and no real signs of labour - only a few bh contractions here and there.

g

#88 of 402 Old 12-30-2009, 03:07 PM

Whoo hoo!! Go, Carmen!!! Sending ELV's!!!

#89 of 402 Old 12-30-2009, 04:18 PM
kjm

YAY Carmen!!!! Congrats--looks like you'll actually be getting that Tax Credit EVERYONE has been annoying me about!! haha! Come on baby!!! Come on out!!!

#90 of 402 Old 12-30-2009, 10:34 PM

Good Luck Carmen!! I know it will be a amazing!!

Still madly in stillheart.gif with jb after 10 years and chasing after my precocious toddler jog.gif    

***joy.gif***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***40    computergeek2.gif westphillymama.com

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page